Why wasn't the 2008 Enclave included in the timing chain warranty extension? - EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 35
Why wasn't the 2008 Enclave included in the timing chain warranty extension?

Does anyone know why the infamous timing chain powertrain warranty extension did not include the 2008 enclave? It included the 2007 and 2009 Acadia and Outlook and 2009 Enclave but not the 2008. The thing is, my Enclave was built in May of 2007 and has the same engine. And, guess what? Same timing chain issue! At the dealer right now, out of warranty, of course, waiting for me to show up and drop around $2,400 to pay for them to replace the timing chain and do all the stuff they need to around that.

I have the same LY7 engine and a timing chain needing to get replaced under 100,000 miles is ridiculous. I've actually never had a vehicle where that was necessary at all. So obviously it's an issue - but why in the heck did they skip the 2008 models?

Sorry for the rant, but I figured if anyone would know, it'd be the folks here. And, I have to say, after having to drop a like amount just last year to rebuild the transmission (driving our daughter back and forth to school and soccer must put a heckuva load on this car), this is the most expensive vehicle I've ever owner. Two ridiculously early big expenses equals a poor-quality vehicle, in my mind. I've already spent way more on it than I have on my '97 Tahoe with over 200,000 miles on it.
doncaruana is offline  
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 01:02 PM
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 35
Re: Why wasn't the 2008 Enclave included in the timing chain warranty extension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncaruana
Does anyone know why the infamous timing chain powertrain warranty extension did not include the 2008 enclave? It included the 2007 and 2009 Acadia and Outlook and 2009 Enclave but not the 2008. The thing is, my Enclave was built in May of 2007 and has the same engine. And, guess what? Same timing chain issue! At the dealer right now, out of warranty, of course, waiting for me to show up and drop around $2,400 to pay for them to replace the timing chain and do all the stuff they need to around that.

I have the same LY7 engine and a timing chain needing to get replaced under 100,000 miles is ridiculous. I've actually never had a vehicle where that was necessary at all. So obviously it's an issue - but why in the heck did they skip the 2008 models?

Sorry for the rant, but I figured if anyone would know, it'd be the folks here. And, I have to say, after having to drop a like amount just last year to rebuild the transmission (driving our daughter back and forth to school and soccer must put a heckuva load on this car), this is the most expensive vehicle I've ever owner. Two ridiculously early big expenses equals a poor-quality vehicle, in my mind. I've already spent way more on it than I have on my '97 Tahoe with over 200,000 miles on it.
I've never had a car other than a GM, but they're starting to piss me off by sitting back and doing nothing with the many faults of the early models. No idea why they haven't put an extension on a few things (eg transmission). I have a 2008 and I was debating whether to get rid of it. My extended warranty expires in Feb 2015. I've gotten a few things out of the extended warranty over the past 3 years, but the primary reason I purchased the extended warranted was for the wave plate issue. It hasn't happen... yet. As far as I know, I'm on my original timing chain as well. I'm currently pricing out extended warranties for another 2 years / 24000 miles in case I decide to hold on to the Enclave. I don't want to have 2 car payments and I'm only 1 year in on my wife's CR-V. I may be looking at the new Honda Pilot in 2 years.

2008 Enclave CXL AWD with Entertainment Pkg #2, Confidence, Luxury, 7 Passenger. Blue Gold/Titanium.<br />Ordered: 12/31/2007, Picked Up: 2/21/2008, Sold: 07/11/2016<br />2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L<br />2017 Kia Sorento EX-V6<br />Ordered: 06/25/2016, Picked Up: 07/11/2016
zebra26 is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 21,047
Re: Why wasn't the 2008 Enclave included in the timing chain warranty extension?

Whether real or perceived, it seems that GM supports its customers who are victims of early model faults less than most other car companies.

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
GoldEnclave is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 10:50 AM
Enclave Freak
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,546
Re: Why wasn't the 2008 Enclave included in the timing chain warranty extension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncaruana
Does anyone know why the infamous timing chain powertrain warranty extension did not include the 2008 enclave? It included the 2007 and 2009 Acadia and Outlook and 2009 Enclave but not the 2008. The thing is, my Enclave was built in May of 2007 and has the same engine. And, guess what? Same timing chain issue! At the dealer right now, out of warranty, of course, waiting for me to show up and drop around $2,400 to pay for them to replace the timing chain and do all the stuff they need to around that.

I have the same LY7 engine and a timing chain needing to get replaced under 100,000 miles is ridiculous. I've actually never had a vehicle where that was necessary at all. So obviously it's an issue - but why in the heck did they skip the 2008 models?

Sorry for the rant, but I figured if anyone would know, it'd be the folks here. And, I have to say, after having to drop a like amount just last year to rebuild the transmission (driving our daughter back and forth to school and soccer must put a heckuva load on this car), this is the most expensive vehicle I've ever owner. Two ridiculously early big expenses equals a poor-quality vehicle, in my mind. I've already spent way more on it than I have on my '97 Tahoe with over 200,000 miles on it.
If you're interested in sending us your VIN and contact information we'll gladly document your concerns on file, doncarauna. We recognize you're frustrated and we do apologize. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

Amber N.
Buick Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra26
I've never had a car other than a GM, but they're starting to piss me off by sitting back and doing nothing with the many faults of the early models. No idea why they haven't put an extension on a few things (eg transmission). I have a 2008 and I was debating whether to get rid of it. My extended warranty expires in Feb 2015. I've gotten a few things out of the extended warranty over the past 3 years, but the primary reason I purchased the extended warranted was for the wave plate issue. It hasn't happen... yet. As far as I know, I'm on my original timing chain as well. I'm currently pricing out extended warranties for another 2 years / 24000 miles in case I decide to hold on to the Enclave. I don't want to have 2 car payments and I'm only 1 year in on my wife's CR-V. I may be looking at the new Honda Pilot in 2 years.
We certainly understand your frustration, zebra26. Please know we're available via private message if you'd like to further discuss your concerns.

Amber N.
Buick Customer Care

Have you checked into Buick Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.buick.com!<br /><br />For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html
Buick Customer Service is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 10:58 AM
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 15
Re: Why wasn't the 2008 Enclave included in the timing chain warranty extension?

I didn't get a letter on my 09 Enclave for the timing chain. I got the wave plate one this week though.
amyray is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 01:14 PM
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 14
Re: Why wasn't the 2008 Enclave included in the timing chain warranty extension?

Hi all,
Was searching the boards but couldn't find any updates to why the 08s are not included in the timing chain extended coverage. Has anyone heard of why? Before I brought my car in I checked on the Buick owners website and nothing about the timing chain, so it's going to cost me $2800. Mine is a Sept 07 production date. Service guy at the dealer said they're experts in fixing them since they fix so many. He couldn't understand why there is no extended warranty for some lambdas and not others. My only option is to get it fixed and hope that GM comes back someday and issues the extended coverage for the 08s and I get reimbursed, like they did for the wave plate, water pump, power steering, master brake cylinder, throttle, .....what else am I missing. (Not even bringing the full fledged recalls into the conversation).

paid close to $40k for the Enclave and then over $10k in repairs. Got some of it back but GM is not making it easy at all. I can understand that to a point, but when these early lambdas have so many common issues (which usually are major issues) you would think GM would eliminate some of the red tape.
Napjax is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 21,047
Re: Why wasn't the 2008 Enclave included in the timing chain warranty extension?

Napjax, it's apparently a VIN specific issue based on which batch(es) of chains were installed. But, I haven't been able to find a definitive explanation directly from GM, either.

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
GoldEnclave is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 01:58 PM
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 14
Re: Why wasn't the 2008 Enclave included in the timing chain warranty extension?

I believe the 08 Acadias and Outlooks are included. Just bugging me that no one at GM can tell me why not the Enclaves. if they have a different chain then just say that. but the fact that GM is not saying that, and the fact that the Enclaves were the most popular early lambdas make me think they just don't want to address the larger #s.
Napjax is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:48 AM
Enclave GOD!
 
cfedor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Racing Capitol of the World
Posts: 5,516
Re: Why wasn't the 2008 Enclave included in the timing chain warranty extension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napjax
I believe the 08 Acadias and Outlooks are included. Just bugging me that no one at GM can tell me why not the Enclaves. if they have a different chain then just say that. but the fact that GM is not saying that, and the fact that the Enclaves were the most popular early lambdas make me think they just don't want to address the larger #s.
Just plain dumb.

HIS: 2008 Enclave CXL AWD Red Jewel/Titanium Leather, Premium package 19" Chrome 7-spoke, AM/FM/CD/DVD/NAV 10 speaker Bose, LED upgrades inside and out.&nbsp; 129K Miles
HERS: 2009 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD Black/Tan Loaded. 95K Miles
cfedor is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 12:46 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
Re: Why wasn't the 2008 Enclave included in the timing chain warranty extension?

As the original owner of a 2008 Saturn Outlook, I can assure you that 2008 Outlooks are also excluded.
Diskman is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome