Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
April 27, 2017, 04:59:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: See that little gray camera icon in a member's post? Click it to go directly to their Photo Gallery

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A/C Smell DURING Operation. . .  (Read 22855 times, 58 Replies)
kram

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2013, 08:22:22 PM »

it is now recommended by GM-- that the afterblow feature be turned off...
especially for those who do short trip drives...
as this feature will run down the battery---
and when the owners start and drive the car-- they dont drive long enough to charge the battery adequately--
the result--- apparently random discharged battery...
it appears to be random because one day they may drove long enough to somewhat charge it--- and then next time not drive long enough-- etc etc.
I am keeping a watchful eye on my 2012 Regal where the feature is turned on due to musty smell. It has been two months and this is my daily driver (3 miles- one way). Seldom (almost never) use this car on a long trip. Hopefully, I won't have battery issues.

2013 Buick Enclave Leather, White Diamond Tricoat, 7 passenger, Fully Loaded
2012 Buick Regal, Black Onyx
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2013, 10:08:17 PM »

facepalm Now there is a fix needed for the fix.

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
cfedor
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2013, 12:02:20 AM »

Afterblow??? WTH is that?

HIS: 2008 Enclave CXL AWD Red Jewel/Titanium Leather, Premium package 19" Chrome 7-spoke, AM/FM/CD/DVD/NAV 10 speaker Bose, LED upgrades inside and out.  124K Miles

HERS: 2009 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD Black/Tan Loaded. 93K Miles
rockyp
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2013, 12:36:11 AM »

It is a (hopefully) temporary condition caused by a large Mexican dinner.  Happy Happy Happy

2008 Cocoa CXL AWD, Nav, Rear Ent - Owned 72 months, 135,900 miles. Traded 9 days short of 6 years of ownership for new Subaru Outback.

If God wanted me to touch my toes, He would've put them on my knees.
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2013, 09:13:18 AM »

Happy Aftetblow is a technique in which the HVAC fan remains on for several minutes after the ignition is turned off to dry the coils in an attempt to prevent a musty odor due to microorganism growth.

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
rbarrios
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2013, 10:35:33 AM »

I am keeping a watchful eye on my 2012 Regal where the feature is turned on due to musty smell. It has been two months and this is my daily driver (3 miles- one way). Seldom (almost never) use this car on a long trip. Hopefully, I won't have battery issues.

I should have added-- that I had seen this-referenced the Lambdas--- I dont remember if it included passenger cars.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    55,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-  123,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-180,000
WPNSO

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2013, 07:44:14 AM »

I had this issue in a chevy a few years ago, and I seem to remember buying an aftermarket spray from Canadian Tire that worked the first time I used it. 

2010 Buick Enclave
canuk

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2017, 01:16:52 PM »

And the horse manure aroma has raised its stinky head in my Enclave.  I have noticed this in my Enclave for at least 6 months.  The start coincides with a trip to a farm for pumpkin picking, a farm that offers horse drawn wagon rides.  After reading the previous posts in this thread I hope I can remedy the situation with the application of an HVAC mold/mildew/odor aerosol treatment.

I am a little confused about which settings the HVAC system should be on and if I spray the spray only into the fresh air intake on the outside, underneath the windshield.  Should I also apply it to the air intakes inside the vehicle used during recirculate mode.... and where are those located.

BeatingDeadHorse

2011 CXL AWD, Silver with Titanium interior, 7 seat
143,000 km @ April, 2017.  14 Warranty repairs so far Smiley
JerseyDevil
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2017, 05:58:39 PM »

Happy Aftetblow is a technique in which the HVAC fan remains on for several minutes after the ignition is turned off to dry the coils in an attempt to prevent a musty odor due to microorganism growth.

More like several seconds

2010 CXL Silver Green No Sun Roof, No NAV
whipster

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2017, 09:18:43 AM »

And the horse manure aroma has raised its stinky head in my Enclave.  I have noticed this in my Enclave for at least 6 months.  The start coincides with a trip to a farm for pumpkin picking, a farm that offers horse drawn wagon rides.  After reading the previous posts in this thread I hope I can remedy the situation with the application of an HVAC mold/mildew/odor aerosol treatment.

I am a little confused about which settings the HVAC system should be on and if I spray the spray only into the fresh air intake on the outside, underneath the windshield.  Should I also apply it to the air intakes inside the vehicle used during recirculate mode.... and where are those located.

BeatingDeadHorse

You can use either one. The recirc door is ahead of the evaporator. If you do it from the inside then have it on recirc since it uses inside air. The inlet should be just above the hush panel above the passengers feet. Try not to breathe in the solvent. The outside inlet would require the recirc OFF setting. It may be a little harder to find it but it is on the passenger side at the wiper area and you may have to remove the grille under the arms. I like setting the fan to a low speed to slow down and help saturate the solvent on the core. Let it sit for a while then run it. Not sure what it says on the directions. I wonder if Lysol would work.

On my older cars I turn off the compressor something like 30 seconds before I shut off the engine to warm up and maybe dry off the core. It can only help. With the afterblow feature it may not be as necessary.

2012 Traverse LT2
canuk

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2017, 09:30:57 AM »

You can use either one. The recirc door is ahead of the evaporator. If you do it from the inside then have it on recirc since it uses inside air. The inlet should be just above the hush panel above the passengers feet. Try not to breathe in the solvent. The outside inlet would require the recirc OFF setting. It may be a little harder to find it but it is on the passenger side at the wiper area and you may have to remove the grille under the arms. I like setting the fan to a low speed to slow down and help saturate the solvent on the core. Let it sit for a while then run it. Not sure what it says on the directions. I wonder if Lysol would work.

On my older cars I turn off the compressor something like 30 seconds before I shut off the engine to warm up and maybe dry off the core. It can only help. With the afterblow feature it may not be as necessary.

Thanks whipster.  Good timing on the advice as I'm just on my way to apply the spray. 

rexster

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2017, 11:24:49 AM »

To expand the conversation about afterblow: If the feature is embedded in the software of your vehicle, it can be a godsend if you keep getting the musty/moldy/urine smell through the HVAC system. You don't have to contort yourself trying to drill a hole in the evaporator case, just have access to a TECH II tool. It's either off or on setting. I had the same odors hitting me after getting our XLR. I have a TECH II and drilled down through the menus and enabled the afterblow. In my case, the afterblow will come on about 45 mins after engine shut down and run for a couple of minutes. I've not had any problem with running the battery down, but I have a 1500 phca battery. Once this feature was activated I've not had one instance of urine/musty odors in the car

Rex
09 Red Jewel CXL Enclave Traded for KR Ford Expedition May 27, 2012
My other car is 2006 Cadillac XLR
rbarrios
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2017, 11:59:26 AM »

There was a bulletin on turning OFF the afterblow feature on some Lambdas.

Some customers had it set to on.
But these customers were coming to dealer with random dead batteries.
All test showed batt/charging were fine. Vehicles systems were going to sleep OK.

But still random dead batteries.

TUrns out- the randomness was the clue.

The drivers were taking random short drives...too short to properly charge a battery.
Eventually then ended up with dead batteries.

To correct this- the afterblow was turned off..... and this did correct the dead batts on these customers.

BadAV
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2017, 12:46:21 PM »

Looks like I'm a little late to the game to reply as you may have already done the spray, not that it makes a big difference. I've had good luck spraying from the outside, switching the hvac system through all settings while spraying into the intake. I've also used Lysol spray instead of the special spray and it's always worked like a charm. It provides another option for people who might see this thread in the future.

Wife's: 2014 TorRed Dodge Charger SXT Plus, replaced 2008 Enclave CXL

Newest toy: 2015 F150 Lariat Supercrew FX4 3.5 Ecoboost

Daily driver: 2012 4LT Grand Sport Corvette Centennial edition convertible
whipster

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2017, 01:38:25 PM »

There was a bulletin on turning OFF the afterblow feature on some Lambdas.

Some customers had it set to on.
But these customers were coming to dealer with random dead batteries.
All test showed batt/charging were fine. Vehicles systems were going to sleep OK.

But still random dead batteries.

TUrns out- the randomness was the clue.

The drivers were taking random short drives...too short to properly charge a battery.
Eventually then ended up with dead batteries.

To correct this- the afterblow was turned off..... and this did correct the dead batts on these customers.

I left that feature on on the Traverse and after she leaves I see a small puddle every morning in the garage so it's working. This justifies me driving it once a week to work to get the battery charged and warm up/clean out the exhaust. I work 20 miles away compared to her 2. Something else I found while I was in the hvac with the scanner is the ambient temp display on the control head, we like that option.

2012 Traverse LT2
canuk

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2017, 11:30:22 AM »

Results: 
I applied a can of Armor All HVAC deodorizer as instructed, spraying it into the air intakes from outside and then small sprays into each vent inside.  The spray is more of a foam than an aeresolized spray so it wasn't exactly sucked into the air intake as a vaporized cloud as I had imagined it would be.  A lot of the foam accumulated on the intake cover grills and just inside them, which seemed useless.  It seemed that the majority of the can ended up dripping out of the drains where AC condensation or rain might drains.  However the application did seem to eliminate the barnyard smell upon startup, for a couple of days at least.  The interior of the vehicle did smell like the Armor All product which wasn't unpleasant...until it rained.  The vehicle was parked outside in the rain two days after the Armor All application and when I started the engine after the rain the barnyard smell was immediately back at full strength.  This suggests to me that the rain entering the air intake grills washed the accumulated Armor All product out of the system,  off of the problematic material/area and revived whatever evil material is causing the stink.  The product initially seemed to neutralize the problematic material but I think it probably saturated the stinky stuff/area and just masked the odor instead of resolving the problem. and was washed out when it rained.

I am not familiar with the physical layout of the air intake system so I don't know where to try to clean.  Can I spray a hose into the air intake grill to try flush any accumulated barnyard material from the section of the system or will this result in damaging the HVAC system and a costly trip to the dealership?  Rain is forced under pressure at highway speeds into this area hence my thought of the hose.

Where else could material accumulate that would affect the fresh air intake so dramatically and are the areas accessible by a amature?

I will try Lysol also but I don't think it is a mold/mildew issue, more of a stinky material issue.

shrug tearhair

rbarrios
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2017, 11:39:41 AM »

I would try several cans of Lysol.
you probably have a Petri dish of lifeforms growing in there.

canuk

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2017, 11:49:44 AM »

I would try several cans of Lysol.
you probably have a Petri dish of lifeforms growing in there.

Yeah no doubt!  I'm sure it looks a lot like the rotter (the vegetable drawer) in my refrigerator at college!

canuk

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2017, 11:04:03 PM »

Applied half of a large can of Lysol over two applications with AC on.  I let it sit for an hour and then drove the vehicle and smell seemed to be almost gone.  Then it rained lightly and when I drove the Enclave the reek was back.

Tomorrow I'll take it to a car wash with a "bottom blaster" option, maybe this will dislodge any crap that might be stuck under there, though I'm not very optimistic.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories