Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
September 02, 2014, 07:43:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: See that little gray camera icon in a member's post? Click it to go directly to their Photo Gallery

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 09 Buick Enclave sputtering uphill  (Read 5136 times, 13 Replies)
mabry

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2013, 09:57:48 PM »

Hi all-

I am new, this is my first post. I have owned my Enclave just over a month and just in the past week or so I have noticed some sputtering when accelerating uphill, as if it is jerking, not wanting to accelerate. any ideas? Thanks...oh it has 74,000 miles and no cel.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:09:49 PM by mabry » Logged
kidsenclave
Enclave GOD!

Trying to please 100% of people 100% of the time.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 10:10:09 PM »

With that mileage, I would guess coil packs.

Welcome

2009 Enclave CX FWD 8 passenger, silver green metallic, ebony cloth, driver's conf. package, tow package.  (Was an order, built July 28th 2008, delivered to us July 31st 2008)
2014 Ford Escape SE 4wd sunset, wife's vehicle, our first Ford
1972 Pontiac GTO.  Owned since 1998

GO GREEN!
rexster

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 10:37:35 PM »

Pretty sure a coil pack is going out if you haven't got a CEL yet

Rex
09 Red Jewel CXL Enclave Traded for KR Ford Expedition May 27, 2012
My other car is 2004 Thunderbird
enclavetmudd

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 02:28:20 AM »

We had the same issue (twice) and it ended up being the coil packs (ours is a 2009 as well).  A little over $400 was the quote on the the last one.  facepalm

The first time we had the issue we were covered under our bumper to bumper, it actually triggered the CEL that time.  The 2nd time, we were at about 42,000 miles and they were in the giving spirit and covered it for free (it did not trigger the CEL).

Good luck!  I believe we've had 4 of the 6 go out.  A little frustrating, but so far has not cost us anything  Cheers

Oh...and welcome to the forum!   Welcome

Hopefully your dealership will fix it out of goodwill considering you haven't had it that long?  If not, I would not get stressed or doubt your choice in vehicle.  The Enclave is a great vehicle and you will definitely enjoy it...even if the coil packs do go out!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:03:49 AM by enclavetmudd » Logged

2009 white diamond, CXL, AWD, 19" chrome, DVD, nav, vented seats, trailer package, sunroof, tan interior
mabry

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 11:54:01 AM »

Thanks, the dealer is not feeling in a giving mood, they told me I could have the problem diagnosed for $102, if it was spark plugs or something it'd be $400. I am taking it to another place that said they'd diagnose for $24.99, then hopefully my husband can fix it. I will let you know what we determine it is for future reference!

We are enjoying it but I make my first payment this week, not looking forward to having to spend another $400 to get it running right on top of that!
Thanks!
Buick Customer Service
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 02:19:27 PM »

Thanks, the dealer is not feeling in a giving mood, they told me I could have the problem diagnosed for $102, if it was spark plugs or something it'd be $400. I am taking it to another place that said they'd diagnose for $24.99, then hopefully my husband can fix it. I will let you know what we determine it is for future reference!

We are enjoying it but I make my first payment this week, not looking forward to having to spend another $400 to get it running right on top of that!
Thanks!

I apologize for the inconvenience caused by this issue. If you would like us to look into the situation with the dealership, feel free to PM us but include your VIN#, name, situation, dealership, contact information, and mileage. I hope this can be resolved quickly for you. Regards.

Matt,

Buick Customer Service (Assisting Stacy)

~Buick Customer Service

my.buick.com
XRDreamliner

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 03:33:26 PM »

Thanks!

If you husband is mechanically-inclined, I would change the spark plugs and the ignition coils on all 6 cylinders and be done with maintenance on the ignition system for awhile.  The spark plugs are meant for 100k miles, but if you are encountering mis-firing (sputtering), to access one cylinder is the same level-of-effort required to access the other 5 cylinders.  And like the others have said, probably one of the ignition coils is bad.  For 2009, which is a direct ignition, to access ALL the plug & coils, the Intake Manifold needs to be removed, which is not too complicated (I provided screenshots of the removal/installation procedure in one of the threads in the Traverse forum).

Even if you have to rely on an Independent Mechanic, you'll be way ahead of the game if all the coils ($56 each) and plugs ($7 each) are replaced.  Without a CEL, you'll be chasing the misfire.

2009 Outlook XR AWD
Cocoa Brown w/Tan
Build Date: 11/08
Purchase Date:  Feb 2010 w/19K miles

2008 Audi RS4 Cabriolet

2003 Audi A4 Quattro
rbarrios
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 03:46:47 PM »

I believe there are updated part numbers for the coils?  I think...

But to save money-- get them on ebay or amazon or something...
then replace.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    23,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-   80,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
XRDreamliner

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 05:36:53 PM »

I believe there are updated part numbers for the coils?  I think...

But to save money-- get them on ebay or amazon or something...
then replace.

Or get the Wells coils @ www.rockauto.com:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1184217&cc=1444052

2009 Outlook XR AWD
Cocoa Brown w/Tan
Build Date: 11/08
Purchase Date:  Feb 2010 w/19K miles

2008 Audi RS4 Cabriolet

2003 Audi A4 Quattro
enclavetmudd

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 05:38:52 PM »

Thanks!

I consider this to be pretty crappy on the part of the dealer not to offer a goodwill fix of something like that within 30 days of purchase.  Is it a GM dealer?

2009 white diamond, CXL, AWD, 19" chrome, DVD, nav, vented seats, trailer package, sunroof, tan interior
kidsenclave
Enclave GOD!

Trying to please 100% of people 100% of the time.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 06:16:23 PM »

I consider this to be pretty crappy on the part of the dealer not to offer a goodwill fix of something like that within 30 days of purchase.  Is it a GM dealer?
On a used car?  Really?  Is there not a statement that customers sign, "as-is" no warranty?  I understand the frustration, but if people don't like this either buy new, or buy some sort of warranty.  I don't think the whole "good will" thing should apply to used vehicles.

2009 Enclave CX FWD 8 passenger, silver green metallic, ebony cloth, driver's conf. package, tow package.  (Was an order, built July 28th 2008, delivered to us July 31st 2008)
2014 Ford Escape SE 4wd sunset, wife's vehicle, our first Ford
1972 Pontiac GTO.  Owned since 1998

GO GREEN!
enclavetmudd

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 08:31:05 PM »

If it is a GM dealer then I would think they would try and help out in some way...maybe cut the bill in half.  I understand the risk of a used car b/c that is all I will buy.  With that said, if it is a dealer looking to sell another car to these guys in a few years, this would be an ideal way to exceed their expectations out of the gates.  At least split the bill maybe...I'm talking about trying to create some customer loyalty.  I don't think the customer should have the expectation, but to create the loyalty it's about going over and above their expectations.  Just my 2 cents...which many have said are valued at less than 1 cent Smiley

dzs3fz

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 09:11:03 PM »

One of the main reasons to purchase a "Certified Used Vehicle" from a GM dealership that would give you a 12 month warranty.

08 cxl-awd  7 seat WDT, titanium interior, nav, bose radio, sunroof, towing pkg, 19" chrome wheels
rexster

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 01:08:09 AM »

It's a vehicle that's 26000 miles past the original warranty. Unless there was some type of warranty, like a dealer's 90 day warranty, I wouldn't expect the dealer to do anything but feel sorry for me.

Rex
09 Red Jewel CXL Enclave Traded for KR Ford Expedition May 27, 2012
My other car is 2004 Thunderbird
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories