Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
September 23, 2014, 12:18:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Search all 4 Lambda Forums at once with the "Super Search" box! Click search in the top nav bar to find it.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Buy Used 2012 vs. New 2013  (Read 2891 times, 24 Replies)
jasonenclave

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2013, 02:17:26 AM »

I've been reading and reading about the Enclave for over a month now.  I'm trying to decide between it and a Honda Pilot.  I have to have all the bells and whistles, but the 2013's are still a bit too pricey for my means if I get one new.  I'll probably wait until the incentives increase in the Fall to purchase if I do get a new one.  I've read that the suspension has been tweaked since the 2012 and that noise levels are less as well do to some engineering/design changes.  So, my question is this:

"Is the 2013 really that much better than the 2012?"  I test drove both as well as an Acadia, but it wasn't like I could take it out for an hour.  The dealer only let me take it out for five or so minutes, and I really couldn't get enough time to digest any differences.  I need some advice on whether the money saved on purchasing a 2012 used or new with all of those incentives is going to haunt me if the 2013 is truly a better vehicle. Anyway, probably a dumb question, but I got a lot of help from Ridgeline Owners Club before I bought my truck and from Prius Chat before I got my Prius.

Enclave vs. Pilot vs. .....oh my goodness shoot me...Odyssey.  Game over.

Peace and thanks!

--J
bayliner78

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 07:09:00 AM »

I can only go by my situation. We bought a used '10 about a month ago with all the bells and whistles. We bought used because we wanted to pay cash, if we went new with all the bells and whistles we would of had to finance a portion of it and we didn't want that.  We did look at the pilot, it's a nice vehicle but we found there was more room in the buick (I can put my hockey bag in without putting the third row down).

Odyssey...not an option for us...my wife and I do not like vans and wanted to do everything in our power not to get a van. But that's just us.

2010 Enclave CXL2, everything except towing package. Bought used March 2013. Love it so far.
BadAV
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 07:47:47 AM »

It ultimately depends on your wants and needs. IMO you would likely be satisfied with either model year Enclave; the Acadia is lacking some of the sound insulation so it is a little noisier than the Enclave. It looks more like an SUV and IMO, does not appear to be as luxurious as the Enclave. It does have heads-up display available, which the Enclave does not. I personally really like the HUD; I've owned two Vettes with it. We have owned a 2008 Enclave (wife's vehicle) since mid-October 2007; it's still one of the quietest vehicles on the road. I'm reminded of that every time I get in it and am amazed at how quiet it really is. If you are waiting until this fall to purchase, you will likely be able to find a used 2013 somewhere. Financially, a year-old used vehicle is always the smarter choice because you let the original owner take the big depreciation hit.

As for the choice between the Pilot and the Enclave, do you want (need) a CUV or an SUV? The Pilot is more an SUV than a CUV; I haven't looked at the numbers, but I suspect the Pilot has slightly more interior room than the Enclave because of its shape. I bet the third row seating in the Enclave is much more hospitable. If you want (need) a people-hauler, a minivan is the better choice. Yeah, it's not as cool, but they are much roomier inside than either an SUV or CUV and typically get better gas mileage.

Personally, I would choose the Enclave over the Pilot every time. There's at least a little food for thought; now you have some questions you need to think about and answer so that you can figure out for yourself which vehicle best suits your needs (versus your "wants"). Of course, you may decide to satisfy your wants instead of your needs!

As for the dealer only letting you take a vehicle out for 5 minutes, you need to tell them you are a serious buyer and you are going to take the vehicle out for an extended ride/drive; if they don't want accommodate you, you will take your money to a dealer that is truly interested in your business. I always tell them that I guarantee they want to sell the vehicle much more than I want to buy it (which is truly the case; I will simply walk away if I don't get the deal I've already decided I am willing to do prior to ever setting foot on a dealership's lot). I don't "need" a new vehicle; I "want" one. There is a big distinction between the two!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:47:48 AM by BadAV » Logged

Wife's: 2014 TorRed Dodge Charger SXT Plus, replaced 2008 Enclave CXL

My toy: '02 Avalanche w/4.10's - Magnacharged w/3" pulley, 2600 stall, built tranny, 216/224-0.551"/0.551-115 LSA cam, headers, HP Tuners self tuned

Daily driver: 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited w/Special Appearance Pkg
kidsenclave
Enclave GOD!

Trying to please 100% of people 100% of the time.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 07:52:04 AM »

Buick is more in line with Acura, Honda's up level brand, so comparing it to the Honda Pilot is not totally a fair comparison.....Buick has more upscale features, and yet the price will be higher.

As for the 2012 vs. 2013.....there are multiple things that the 2013 has over the '12.  It's not as cut and dry a choice as you might thing.

2013:
Front Center air bag
updated suspension
ambient lighting
transmission updated
LED lights (and those look great, by the way...saw a few on the road Sunday)
Totally new Buick Itellilink system (read up on it, I really can't explain it)
Better dash materials
Newer interior colors (if you go with leather)
Change in headrest design, front
8 way power passenger seat, on up level trims (this could be a big thing)

BUT....2012's do have one thing that's better.......FOG LIGHTS.  2013's don't have fog's.

Also, not sure what incentives you think will be here in the fall.....the 2014's start production June 3rd, so actually....those incentives are kind of happening now.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 07:55:35 AM by kidsenclave » Logged

2009 Enclave CX FWD 8 passenger, silver green metallic, ebony cloth, driver's conf. package, tow package.  (Was an order, built July 28th 2008, delivered to us July 31st 2008)
2014 Ford Escape SE 4wd sunset, wife's vehicle, our first Ford
1972 Pontiac GTO.  Owned since 1998

GO GREEN!
Orion42

'13 Enclave

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 08:53:18 AM »

As for the choice between the Pilot and the Enclave, do you want (need) a CUV or an SUV? The Pilot is more an SUV than a CUV; I haven't looked at the numbers, but I suspect the Pilot has slightly more interior room than the Enclave because of its shape. I bet the third row seating in the Enclave is much more hospitable. If you want (need) a people-hauler, a minivan is the better choice. Yeah, it's not as cool, but they are much roomier inside than either an SUV or CUV and typically get better gas mileage.
The Pilot has a lot less room inside due to Enclave having almost 10" longer wheelbase. Enclave has 115.2 cu ft cargo space all seats folded vs. only 87 cu ft for Pilot.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:19:48 AM by Orion42 » Logged

2013 Enclave AWD Leather, Mocha Bronze, Cocoa int., 7-pass., sunroof, towing, nav
Buick Customer Service
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 10:29:56 AM »

I've been reading and reading about the Enclave for over a month now.  I'm trying to decide between it and a Honda Pilot.  I have to have all the bells and whistles, but the 2013's are still a bit too pricey for my means if I get one new.  I'll probably wait until the incentives increase in the Fall to purchase if I do get a new one.  I've read that the suspension has been tweaked since the 2012 and that noise levels are less as well do to some engineering/design changes.  So, my question is this:

"Is the 2013 really that much better than the 2012?"  I test drove both as well as an Acadia, but it wasn't like I could take it out for an hour.  The dealer only let me take it out for five or so minutes, and I really couldn't get enough time to digest any differences.  I need some advice on whether the money saved on purchasing a 2012 used or new with all of those incentives is going to haunt me if the 2013 is truly a better vehicle. Anyway, probably a dumb question, but I got a lot of help from Ridgeline Owners Club before I bought my truck and from Prius Chat before I got my Prius.

Enclave vs. Pilot vs. .....oh my goodness shoot me...Odyssey.  Game over.

Peace and thanks!

Hey jasonenclave,

I of course vote for the Enclave! The new features on the 2013 compared to the 2012 are:

Exterior appearance enhancements include body-colored fascias and rocker moldings, new hood, fenders, front grille, front and rear fascias, headlamps, chrome bodyside moldings and LED tail lamps
  Interior appearance enhancements include new instrument panel and door trim with live stitching and ambient lighting
  Exterior color (GVU) Mocha Bronze Metallic
  Exterior color (GWT) Champagne Silver Metallic
  Exterior color (GWY) Atlantis Blue Metallic
  Exterior color (GXG) Iridium Metallic (additional charge - premium paint)
  Interior color (83C) Titanium Cloth
  Interior color (432) Choccochino Perforated Leather Seating Surfaces
  Interior color (542) Cocoa Perforated Leather Seating Surfaces
  (UG4) Color Touch AM/FM/SiriusXM/HD radio with CD player, IntelliLink with 7" diagonal touch-screen display
  (UGU) Color Touch AM/FM/HD/SiriusXM/HD radio with CD/DVD player, IntelliLink with 7" diagonal touch-screen display
  (UGX) Color Touch Navigation AM/FM/HD/SiriusXM/HD radio with CD/DVD player, IntelliLink with 7" diagonal touch-screen display
  (UGY) Color Touch Navigation AM/FM/HD/SiriusXM/HD radio with CD player, IntelliLink with 7" diagonal touch-screen display
  (RZA) 19" (48.3 cm) machined aluminum wheels
  (S4Q) 20" (50.8 cm) Ultra bright machined aluminum wheels
  (UFT) Side Blind Zone Alert with Cross Traffic Alert
  (M7V) 6-speed automatic transmission, electronically controlled with overdrive (FWD)
  (M7X) 6-speed automatic transmission, electronically controlled with overdrive (AWD)
  (AYQ) Frontal and side-impact for driver and front passenger air bags, driver inboard seat-mounted side-impact and head curtain side-impact air bags for all rows in outboard seating positions
  (AH8) 8-way power front passenger seat adjuster
  (VAV) 1st and 2nd row all-weather floor mats, LPO
  (VKN) 3rd row all-weather floor mat, LPO
  (VLI) All-weather cargo mat, LPO
  Front row 4-way adjustable headrests
  (NEB) dual-outlet stainless-steel exhaust with bright tips integrated in fascia 

Hope this...sways  angel your thoughts!

Have a great day! Keep us posted on what you choose!

Kelly J.
Buick Customer Care

--J

~Buick Customer Service

my.buick.com
TSS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 01:13:51 PM »

I can only go by my situation. We bought a used '10 about a month ago with all the bells and whistles. We bought used because we wanted to pay cash, if we went new with all the bells and whistles we would of had to finance a portion of it and we didn't want that. 
Odyssey...not an option for us...my wife and I do not like vans and wanted to do everything in our power not to get a van. But that's just us.

Wow, I removed one sentence from your post and I swear, I could have written it.  JUst bought a 2010 CXL last week and waiting to take possession.  Only adding that we got an extended GMPP B2B warranty which in essence gave us the same mileage/years warranty as if we bought new.  But we saved 20K off the original MSRP.  If money is no object, I would get the 13 simply to have the new look and upgrades.  If money factors into your decison at all, like paying cash or borrowing, I would look at a 2010 - 2012.  I say 2010, because from what I have read here, 08/09 are more prone to wave plate issues. 

2010 CXL 1 FWD, White Diamond, Roof, BOSE/Rear DVD, 19 Chromes
2010 Lincoln MKS AWD Ecoboost V6 Twin Turbo (Livernois Motor Sports Tuned/K&N CAI: 0-60 in 4.20 seconds)
timmy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 01:30:11 PM »

I was in your same boat a year ago.

My wife is the primary drive of the enclave as she is off with the kids more and has a short commute.  We test drove the Acura MDX, Honda Pilot and the Enclave (2012 models)

My wife preferred the Enclave because she felt it drove smaller and she felt more connected to the road.  She felt that the Pilot was very high on her list but felt disconnected and drove like a box.  She reallly like all the hooks and cuby holes and drink holders in the Pilot.   She liked the MDX but we wanted a usable 3rd seat.  In the end we got a used 2011 Enclave CXL1 with 7,000 miles on it . 

If the 2013 were out and we didn't need a new vehicle at that time I would have spent the extra money on the 2013.  I did test drive the 2013 when it came out and I do think the suspension was tweaked and the 2013 enclave drives a little better.  I also think the interior improvements are worth it over a 2012.  However "worth it" comes down to money and everyone has their own criteria.

Now as an aside, the MDX is being updated this year and should be out this summer.  The 2014 MDX will be riding on the same platform as the current generation pilot and should have a bigger third row vs the prior generation.  The enclave will still have the largest interior volume.  I am excited for the new MDX and will test drive it to see if I think the Enclave should be replaced.

As an aside our enclave gets crap mileage in town (12.5 mpg)  on the highway with cruise it does fine (21-22 mpg).  To each his own on mileage and how he/she drives but 12.5 is bad.
bayliner78

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 02:41:56 PM »

Wow, I removed one sentence from your post and I swear, I could have written it.  JUst bought a 2010 CXL last week and waiting to take possession.  Only adding that we got an extended GMPP B2B warranty which in essence gave us the same mileage/years warranty as if we bought new.  But we saved 20K off the original MSRP.  If money is no object, I would get the 13 simply to have the new look and upgrades.  If money factors into your decison at all, like paying cash or borrowing, I would look at a 2010 - 2012.  I say 2010, because from what I have read here, 08/09 are more prone to wave plate issues. 

We bought the B2B warranty as well!!

2010 Enclave CXL2, everything except towing package. Bought used March 2013. Love it so far.
DVelasco68

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 03:29:41 PM »

I'll be buying a B2B before September (and 12,000 miles)...  currently 3 months and 4,500 miles...

FYI - you can buy a new car B2B warranty before 12,000 miles or 1 year, and the miles get heaped on top...

So a 7 year/70,000 mile warranty becomes a 7 year/81,999 mile warranty...  All this at the same price...

We bought the B2B warranty as well!!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 06:59:14 PM by DVelasco68 » Logged

2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ
2007 Chevy Trailblazer SS AWD
2002 Chevy Venture WB Edition (Traded in)
2000 Chevy Malibu LS (Retired)
1987 Buick T-Type
Blue Oval

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 03:42:36 PM »

I would go with a new 13 Enclave and take advantage of the improvements. The issue is to carefully evaluate your wants vs. needs to get a vehicle you enjoy. Why do you just have to have all the bells and whistles?? Just for grins and giggles, go to your dealer or online and price ordering a new vehicle exactly to your specifications, with all the bells and whistles to compare to what you might be able to eliminate. If you can live without one or all of the following: sunroof, Navigation, entertainment package, fanciest wheels, you can save many thousands of dollars by ordering instead of taking what is loaded up on the dealer's lot. Your phone probably already has navigation, or a DVD player can play movies for the young'uns at a huge savings to the option prices. You mentioned waiting till Fall or incentives, so you have the time to wait several weeks if you decide to order. Between now and Fall embark on a crash course on saving money to reduce the amount financed. Once you have carefully chosen the options, take some time to compare financing plans as well. You may be able to save more than you may think.

I ordered my 11 because I couldn't find one without a sunroof, but I had to have Nav and towing package. We are all different and want different combinations of options but a few eliminations can save money.
DVelasco68

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 07:01:48 PM »

Great minds think alike...  Happy

These were my exact thoughts...  I ordered my 2013 without a sunroof, but I had to have Nav and towing package...

Cheers

I ordered my 11 because I couldn't find one without a sunroof, but I had to have Nav and towing package. We are all different and want different combinations of options but a few eliminations can save money.

2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ
1987 Buick T-Type
redvett

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 07:48:12 PM »

Not to hijack this thread but does Buick Customer Service have a date that ican order a 2014 Enclave on?

2014 Enclave Premum Quicksilver
jasonenclave

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 09:56:21 PM »

Wow...

You all definitely rock, and I truly appreciate all of your feedback without anyone making me feel dumb for asking my question.  So, I am deciphering from everyone's posts that the 2013 is worth the wait.  That's what I was thinking, but wanting to get a few opinions from those who have a bit more first hand and discussion knowledge than myself...the only thing I know is that I don't know everything...

I also appreciated the comments about "wants" vs. "needs". 

Needs:  sunroof and leather.  I live in Southern California...I wish the Enclave came as a convertible!
            A/C power to make those summer trips (this is our traveling vehicle--10 hrs. to Tahoe...4 hrs. to the Bay Area...5-6 to Acadia...and then who knows where else?) a bit more enjoyable for the three kids...and a bit less annoying for us parents.
             Towing Package:  camping anyone?

Wants:  DVD and NAVI.  Call me superficial, but they are just nice to have and dang nabbit, my wife and I deserve it!

Anyway, looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer, but I do have about ten dealers calling everyday, and you betcha I'm baiting them along and letting them know I'm talking to plenty of others.  It was such a great moment test driving an Infiniti J35 onto a Buick lot to compare the two.  The Buick guys were all up in that Infiniti!  But too small.

So thank you to all who posted, and I'm looking forward to reading comments from anyone else.

Peace and harmony for now...

--J
kidsenclave
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 11:28:57 PM »

confused  So....you went to comparing two vehicles, now you have 10 different ones you are considering?  (but I do have about ten dealers calling everyday, and you betcha I'm baiting them along and letting them know I'm talking to plenty of others.)  What are all the vehicles you are considering?  I'm not sure I know of that many others that compare to the Enclave, but perhaps you are considering some 5-passenger CUV's as well as the 3-row's.  shrug  Or are there mini-vans in there?

The hunt is sure fun, and I'm one who researches a bunch on the internet before actually going to the dealerships.  I had a pretty big list as well for my wife's next car (next year....04 Bonneville replacement)....but now I have that list down to 3, unless any newcomers come along.  (Chevy Equinox, Ford Escape, Subaru Outback).  Most likely will be the Chevy, but the other two....very good contenders, and who knows, maybe there will be another one enter into the mix, but trying to keep things simple for her.  Really hoping the 2014 Equinox gets just a little tweak in styling to keep up with the new Chevy theme going on now.

2009 Enclave CX FWD 8 passenger, silver green metallic, ebony cloth, driver's conf. package, tow package.  (Was an order, built July 28th 2008, delivered to us July 31st 2008)

GO GREEN!
jasonenclave

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 03:27:16 AM »

In response, I have a ton of Buick dealers phoning me and e-mailing me...it's still just two vehicles like I mentioned earlier...but the Enclave is the one I want.  I'm not looking at ten different vehicles...that'd be back to the ol' drawin' board! Here's to not eating out and saving for a bigger down payment!  Peace!
kidsenclave
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 08:03:11 AM »

In response, I have a ton of Buick dealers phoning me and e-mailing me...it's still just two vehicles like I mentioned earlier...but the Enclave is the one I want.  I'm not looking at ten different vehicles...that'd be back to the ol' drawin' board! Here's to not eating out and saving for a bigger down payment!  Peace!
Coming from a car salesperson's background, I'll NEVER do this.  If I look at x brand, I go to ONE dealer, then the next brand...one dealer, and so forth.  I guess some people like to mess around like this, but to me I don't find it "fun".  Besides, I'm more into buying from a local dealer IN my town who will be able to service me after the sale, without driving a long distance for my service work.  And yes, when you pull into a dealership service station that you didn't buy the vehicle from, there is the risk that the service visit will be less than satisfactory.  And also, sometimes when talking to multiple dealers, you will have a dealer bidding against another one you are talking to and you'll end up not being able to get the vehicle you want, (if a dealer trade) because x dealer doesn't want to trade with y dealer because you the customer has a "deal" on the unit or one of the other dealers has requested a dealer trade.    Not sure if that makes sense,  Happy, I know what I'm intending to say here, but after typing it out, it doesn't sound right...oh well, maybe you can get what I'm saying.

But if you enjoy the "game", by all means play it...I'm just saying it's not something I do.   

GO GREEN!
Blue Oval

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 09:44:03 AM »

Another factor in the new vs. used issue is quite often the lender's financing rates are lower for new when compared to used. I have no idea how much difference that makes over the lifetime of the loans, but it is still a number to be put in a column for comparrison.

Option choices? Leather or cloth? Light or dark? 18" wheels" or 22" wheels? Nav in dash or your phone? Sunroof? Intertainment System?These are only your choices and are items you are willing to pay for or not pay for. No one elses opinion really matters as it is your vehicle and you should like it as much as possible for the length of time you keep it. Good luck and hope you enjoy whatever you buy!
DVelasco68

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 11:12:18 AM »

If you go for the equinox, opt for the smaller rims...   I spoke with a lady (at the dealership) who had the bigger rims, and she was not happy with the ride at all...

...Really hoping the 2014 Equinox gets just a little tweak in styling to keep up with the new Chevy theme going on now.

2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ
1987 Buick T-Type
BadAV
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 12:51:14 PM »

Coming from a car salesperson's background, I'll NEVER do this.  If I look at x brand, I go to ONE dealer, then the next brand...one dealer, and so forth.  I guess some people like to mess around like this, but to me I don't find it "fun".  Besides, I'm more into buying from a local dealer IN my town who will be able to service me after the sale, without driving a long distance for my service work.  And yes, when you pull into a dealership service station that you didn't buy the vehicle from, there is the risk that the service visit will be less than satisfactory.  And also, sometimes when talking to multiple dealers, you will have a dealer bidding against another one you are talking to and you'll end up not being able to get the vehicle you want, (if a dealer trade) because x dealer doesn't want to trade with y dealer because you the customer has a "deal" on the unit or one of the other dealers has requested a dealer trade.    Not sure if that makes sense,  Happy, I know what I'm intending to say here, but after typing it out, it doesn't sound right...oh well, maybe you can get what I'm saying.

But if you enjoy the "game", by all means play it...I'm just saying it's not something I do.   

I try to do the same, Kids, but in the case of my new Outback, the chosen dealer wouldn't budge on pricing so I moved on to the next local dealer. They also wouldn't budge, so I moved onto the third local dealer. They gave me within $200 of what I had decided was the absolute maximum additional amount I would trade on, so I took the deal. In my mind, I "caved".   Beer  The reality is that they came up $1800 so I don't feel too bad, and an additional $200 over the lifetime of the ownership experience will be nothing. 

Wife's: 2014 TorRed Dodge Charger SXT Plus, replaced 2008 Enclave CXL

My toy: '02 Avalanche w/4.10's - Magnacharged w/3" pulley, 2600 stall, built tranny, 216/224-0.551"/0.551-115 LSA cam, headers, HP Tuners self tuned

Daily driver: 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited w/Special Appearance Pkg
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories