Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
April 27, 2017, 05:08:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little blue 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 CXL AWD HID Bulb Replacement - DIY  (Read 14845 times, 10 Replies)
taytay509

Ignore
« on: January 28, 2014, 03:16:28 PM »

First and foremost I want to apologize for not having any pictures, I know they speak 1000 words. I just got rolling with the project and forgot to snap some before it was 3/4 put back together.

Backstory: I was outside one evening when my wife was getting in her car and when she started it the drivers side headlight flickered then went out. I did my research, on this forum primarily, called the Buick Dealership, the BMW Dealership, and a mechanic I use often, and all said that I would need to bring the car in before they could give me any idea on cost. I have read a few horror stories about spending $250 on the bulb, paying for multiple hours of labor because the whole front bumper has to be removed to change the light, etc. I got my hands on a service manual (thanks again EnclaveForum) and read through that a bit and decided to see if I was able to get the bulb out myself. If it wasn't too hard, I would move the good bulb from the passenger side and test to make sure the ballast was still functional on the driver's side (where the light went out).

From my experience, and mine only on the 2009 CXL AWD you DO NOT need to remove the bumper to replace the HID bulb, unless you have freakishly large hands that cannot fit into smallish hole.

So here are the steps, the best I can explain them in text.

1. Remove wheel
2. Remove wheel well liner, the forward facing one closest to the lights. This is done by removing clips and screws. Most of the clips and screws are obvious, but there are a few that are out of sight. There are two screws under the front bumper and then there are two clips that hold a rubber piece that's on the bottom of wheel well liner. The best I can explain would be to laydown on the ground and look just forward of the brake rotor and you will see the clips.
3. Once the liner is removed, there is a black cap directly behind the where the bulb will be, it is pretty obvious. Twist that and it will come off revealing the back of the HID bulb.
4. This is the part where you need normal sized hands. You should be able to see on each side of the bulb, a black ring with little tabs. The tabs will be high on one side and low on the other. You need to twist that ring about a 1/4 turn making the top tab low and bottom tab high. That unlocks the bulb.
5. Then you just pull on the bulb. I had to kind of rock it back and forth a bit. It's in there pretty good but take care on trying to pull it out as gently as possible so you dont break it.
6. Once the bulb has been removed, it is attached by a cord, coming from the ballast (I assume) and that need to be unplugged. That took some work as it's a pretty tight fit, but I was able to unplug with just my fingers.
7. At this point, after successfully removing the bulb, I removed the working bulb from the passenger side, taking even more care in not damaging or touching the good one with bare fingers. I just put on some latex gloves in case I inadvertently touched it. I plugged the good bulb into the driver side and turned the lights on to test the ballast. The bulb lit right up telling me the ballast was still functional.
8. I bought a replacement D1S bulb at the local auto parts store for $87 + tax. I could have got them cheaper online, but wanted to get my wife's car put back together for her so I spent the extra money bought one in stock.
**Do not touch the glass bulb with bare hands. There is a base to the bulbs and you should not need to touch the glass, but I wore gloves just to be safe.**
9.  Plug the new bulb into the ballast cord and carefully place it back into the headlamp assembly. The bulb needs to be all the way in before the ring with the tabs will turn 1/4 turn back in the locked position.
10. Assemble in the opposite steps as dis-assembly.

When I first turned the lights on, there were a little bit different color but after a few minutes they looked fine. I was worried about having two different brands of bulbs but it seems to look fine. I guess if you wanted to you could buy a pair and replace them at the same time, but I opted not to.

I hope this helps anyone thinking about doing this job on their own, it was 100% worth it for me. Total time was about 3.25 hours but 1.5 hours of that was driving around town finding a bulb in stock and eating dinner. Doing it again with parts on hand I think it could be done in about 1.5 hours.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:35:33 PM by taytay509 » Logged
silverfox

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 05:42:25 PM »

TAYTAY509. This is very good to know- thanks for the post!  clap

2009 CXL Silver with all options
TSS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 05:44:40 PM »

Thank you....filing this away for future use.

2010 CXL 1 FWD, White Diamond, Roof, BOSE/Rear DVD, 19 Chromes
2010 Lincoln MKS AWD Ecoboost V6 Twin Turbo (Livernois Motor Sports Tuned/ MDesign CAI: 0-60 in 3.94 seconds)
2014 Impala Limited LTZ
cfedor
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 09:02:31 PM »

Thanks! Great step by step.  thumbs up Hopefully I don't need to reference this - anytime.

HIS: 2008 Enclave CXL AWD Red Jewel/Titanium Leather, Premium package 19" Chrome 7-spoke, AM/FM/CD/DVD/NAV 10 speaker Bose, LED upgrades inside and out.  124K Miles

HERS: 2009 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD Black/Tan Loaded. 93K Miles
peterlawl84

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 08:47:08 PM »

Just a FYI, to remove the HID headlight, there is a locking ring.  I spent a long time trying to figure out how to get the bulb out and kept trying to turn it counter clockwise, finally felt a small tab that I pushed on and the bulb released!  The tab is at ~ 10 o'clock and 4 o'clock and needs to be turned counter clockwise to unlock.

This was on a 2013 model and I could not find anything specific other than turn the bulb counterclockwise...hopefully it saves someone else a long ordeal of trying to feel around and figure out how to release the bulb.  Also you do NOT need to remove the liner, once I figured out the driver's side, the passenger side took all of 5 minutes.  Just turn the wheel so you have access to the screws holding the liner in.
john 070
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 08:01:20 AM »

curious why the OP called the BMW dealership about the HID on the buick, was it to replace it with an X5?

It's interesting how some dealers still play that game and won't give a price over the phone.  This BS results in some people paying $500 for a BMW battery install with registration.  I called around and did $280 (no, not cheap, but the battery at the time was $199, so to register the battery properly and provide a loaner, it was ok with me).  haha paying a dealer to change a battery, we'll not get into that....(I never woulda dreamed it when I was a kid)

'11 CXL1 AWD, white diamond, navi, sunroof, NE emissions
jdhuntley

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 11:35:48 AM »

I'm looking for some guidance for replacing this damn headlight (and my apologies but I vent a little in this post at well)!

I followed all the instructions, got the old light bulb out and inserted the new one in the passenger side. All seemed good until last night I noticed the new light was dim. Apparently it came loose in the cylinder. I just spent another hour trying to secure back in place but it seems just about impossible. I checked the other side that is fine (driver's side) and followed the same configuration (outside tab up, inside tab down) but the bulb still doesn't feel very secure. I buttoned it all back up hoping the second time is a charm.

In case not, does anyone have suggestions for inserting the new bulb securely? I'm afraid if I keep messing with it I'll damage the housing, etc. (If I haven't done that already!).

Simple things like changing out headlights shouldn't be that difficult or warrant needing to go to a mechanic. Between this and my freaking car leaking due to the sun/moon roof I'm beginning to hate this car!
silvervettes

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 01:41:52 PM »

I'm looking for some guidance for replacing this damn headlight (and my apologies but I vent a little in this post at well)!

I followed all the instructions, got the old light bulb out and inserted the new one in the passenger side. All seemed good until last night I noticed the new light was dim. Apparently it came loose in the cylinder. I just spent another hour trying to secure back in place but it seems just about impossible. I checked the other side that is fine (driver's side) and followed the same configuration (outside tab up, inside tab down) but the bulb still doesn't feel very secure. I buttoned it all back up hoping the second time is a charm.

In case not, does anyone have suggestions for inserting the new bulb securely? I'm afraid if I keep messing with it I'll damage the housing, etc. (If I haven't done that already!).

Simple things like changing out headlights shouldn't be that difficult or warrant needing to go to a mechanic. Between this and my freaking car leaking due to the sun/moon roof I'm beginning to hate this car!

Youtube is your friend, there is a retaining ring that needs to be loosened/ turned counterclockwise to release the bulb. Once you place the new bulb in, it only goes in one way you need to turn that ring clockwise about a 1/4 turn to lock in. Then if you grab the metal bulb housing it will feel secure. Not a lot of room to work with. I took off the five screws and three clips and then ty-wrapped the plastic back to get easier access. Yes I took off the tire/wheel too. These bulbs are difficult to get at, but I have a 8.5 year old 2009 and with 148k on it. One finally went bad.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7rfNU69dEw go to 8:45 in the video.

As far as the leak I'm assuming it's your front sunroof. There are two drains one in each front corner of the roof. Get yourself trimmer line from your lawn trimmer. Get a four foot piece and snake down into the cowl area of your car. You will see the two small holes in roof channel, one each side towards front. The drains end there in each corner under the hood.  Go easy and slow because there are some connections that can come loose.  You can snake them clear in several minutes. If things go wrong there are plenty of posts on here. Search on the forum is your friend also. Good luck. Enclaves are great vehicles.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 01:44:22 PM by silvervettes » Logged
cfedor
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 09:08:59 PM »

Youtube is your friend, there is a retaining ring that needs to be loosened/ turned counterclockwise to release the bulb. Once you place the new bulb in, it only goes in one way you need to turn that ring clockwise about a 1/4 turn to lock in. Then if you grab the metal bulb housing it will feel secure. Not a lot of room to work with. I took off the five screws and three clips and then ty-wrapped the plastic back to get easier access. Yes I took off the tire/wheel too. These bulbs are difficult to get at, but I have a 8.5 year old 2009 and with 148k on it. One finally went bad.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7rfNU69dEw go to 8:45 in the video.

As far as the leak I'm assuming it's your front sunroof. There are two drains one in each front corner of the roof. Get yourself trimmer line from your lawn trimmer. Get a four foot piece and snake down into the cowl area of your car. You will see the two small holes in roof channel, one each side towards front. The drains end there in each corner under the hood.  Go easy and slow because there are some connections that can come loose.  You can snake them clear in several minutes. If things go wrong there are plenty of posts on here. Search on the forum is your friend also. Good luck. Enclaves are great vehicles.
thumbs up

HIS: 2008 Enclave CXL AWD Red Jewel/Titanium Leather, Premium package 19" Chrome 7-spoke, AM/FM/CD/DVD/NAV 10 speaker Bose, LED upgrades inside and out.  124K Miles

HERS: 2009 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD Black/Tan Loaded. 93K Miles
ScoobySnacks

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 10:19:40 PM »

I followed the directions and watched the YouTube Video and replaced one side in about an hour.  The bulb seems to match the other side so I am only doing one side.  I suspect I could do the other side in about 30-45 minutes now that I know what to do.

Thanks for the post!!
silvervettes

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 07:52:56 AM »

I followed the directions and watched the YouTube Video and replaced one side in about an hour.  The bulb seems to match the other side so I am only doing one side.  I suspect I could do the other side in about 30-45 minutes now that I know what to do.

Thanks for the post!!

I did the same, and just did the other side aprox 9 months after the first when it too started to color shift.
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories