Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
October 31, 2014, 03:50:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Enclave? Check out the all new Cadillac SRX at http://www.SRXForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dinghy towing the Enclave  (Read 66686 times, 33 Replies)
FlyingDiver

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2007, 02:55:46 PM »

Anyone have any experience with this?  We're hoping to take delivery of a new Enclave in 2 or 3 weeks.  We'll need to get it set up for dinghy towing in the spring.  I'm planning on going with a Blue Ox baseplate and towbar, and probably the SMI AF1 brake controller.  Not sure what to do about lights or battery disconnect yet.

Thanks!

joe

2008 Enclave CXL AWD Cocoa/Cashmere, captain chairs, luxury package, drivers confidence, towing, sunroof, Ent. #4 DVD/Nav.
FlyingDiver

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 06:12:17 PM »

Found this on another forum I frequent.  Thought some here might be interested.  We picked up our Enclave on monday.  Cheesy

joe

Subject: Supplemental Information on Recreational Vehicle and Trailer Towing and Trailer Wiring Accommodation for Non-V92 Equipped Vehicles #07-00-89-021A - (06/27/2007)

Models: 2008 Buick Enclave

2007 GMC Acadia

2007 Saturn OUTLOOK

This bulletin is being revised to add models and revise dinghy towing procedures. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-00-89-021 (Section 00 - General Information).

The purpose of this bulletin is to inform dealers of special procedures necessary when towing a trailer or when towing the vehicle behind a recreational vehicle.
Towing a Trailer

Trailer Weight Information
The following chart shows how much the trailer can weigh, based on the vehicle powertrain combination. Retailers should refer customers to the appropriate Owner Manual for important trailering tips, vehicle maintenance, and safety rules before towing a trailer.
Vehicle Maximum Trailer Weight
3.6L V6 (LY7) Engine with Front-Wheel Drive and 6-Speed Automatic Transaxle (MY9) with Trailer Provisions (V92) 4,500 lb. (2,041 kg)
3.6L V6 (LY7) Engine with Front-Wheel Drive and 6-Speed Automatic Transaxle (MY9), NO Trailer Provisions 2,000 lb. (907 kg)
3.6L V6 (LY7) Engine with All-Wheel Drive and 6-Speed Automatic Transaxle (MH6) with Trailer Provisions (V92) 4,500 lbs. (2,041 kg)
3.6L V6 (LY7) Engine with All-Wheel Drive and 6-Speed Automatic Transaxle (MH6), NO Trailer Provisions 2,000 lb. (907 kg)
Towing a Trailer with a Vehicle NOT Equipped with Trailer Provisions
2008 Buick Enclave, 2007 GMC Acadia and 2007 Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles that are not equipped with trailer provisions (RPO V92) must be modified with a new underhood bussed electrical center (UBEC) to provide full functionality for 4 circuits: ground, tail lamps, RH and LH stop/turn lamps. Refer to the Parts Information section in this bulletin for the correct part numbers. To find the original part number, remove the UBEC and look at the side of the UBEC.
This UBEC replacement should only be performed for customers who perform trailer towing. UBEC replacement for trailer towing is only covered under warranty for 2007 model year GMC Acadia and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles, and 2008 Buick Enclave vehicles.
Towing a Trailer with a Vehicle with Trailer Provisions (RPO V92)
The following procedure may need to be performed to the backup lamp circuit. Perform this procedure only if the customer will be using the vehicle to tow.
1. Disconnect the X7 connector from the Body Control Module (BCM).
2. Remove the terminal for pin 3 from the BCM X7 connector. The wire to this terminal is dark blue and is the 38 circuit.
3. Re-connect the X7 connector to the BCM.
4. Cut the terminal off the end of this wire and strip the end of the wire.
5. Splice this wire into the 24 circuit wire that goes into BCM connector X6, pin 2. The 24 circuit is light green.
Recreational Vehicle Towing (Dinghy Towing)

Important: To avoid battery rundown while towing, remove the 50 amp BATT1 fuse in the UBEC. Refer to the dinghy towing procedure in this bulletin.
Recreational Vehicle Towing Information
Important: Vehicles with a 6-speed automatic transmission that are "dinghy towed" must be started at the beginning of each day and at each fuel stop for a minimum of five minutes.
Recreational vehicle towing means towing the vehicle behind another vehicle -- such as behind a motorhome. The two most common types of recreational vehicle towing are known as "dinghy towing" (towing the vehicle with all four wheels on the ground) and "dolly towing" (towing the vehicle with two wheels on the ground and two wheels up on a device known as a "dolly"). With the proper preparation and equipment, many vehicles can be towed in these ways. Refer to the appropriate model/model year Owner Manual for towing preparation guidelines and dolly and dinghy towing procedures. The Towing Chart below summarizes powertrain combination compatibility with dolly and dinghy towing methods.
2008 Buick Enclave, 2007 GMC Acadia, 2007 Saturn OUTLOOK Recreational Vehicle Towing Chart

Powertrain Combination and Towing Method Rear Wheels on a Tow Dolly Front Wheels on a Tow Dolly All Four Wheels on the Ground (Dinghy)
3.6L V6 (LY7) Engine with Front-Wheel Drive and 6T75 Six-Speed Automatic Transaxle (MY9) No Yes Yes*
3.6L V6 (LY7) Engine with All-Wheel Drive and 6T75 Six-Speed Automatic Transaxle (MH6) No No Yes*
*Notice: If the vehicle is equipped with a 6T75 six-speed automatic transmission, it can be dinghy towed from the front for unlimited miles at 65 mph (105 km/h). To avoid vehicle damage, never exceed 65 mph (105 km/h) while towing Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles. The repairs would not be covered by the warranty.
Dinghy Towing Procedure
Notice: If you tow your vehicle without performing each of the steps listed under "Dinghy Towing," you could damage the automatic transmission. Be sure to follow all steps of the dinghy towing procedure prior to and after towing your vehicle.
Notice: Don't tow a vehicle with the front drive wheels on the ground if one of the front tires is a compact spare tire. Towing with two different tire sizes on the front of the vehicle can cause severe damage to the transmission.
Important: Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles may only be dinghy towed from the front, with all four wheels on the ground.
1. Position the vehicle to tow and then secure it.
2. Shift transmission to PARK (P) and turn the ignition to OFF.
3. Set the parking brake.
4. Turn the ignition to ACCESSORY.
5. Shift your transmission to NEUTRAL (N).
6. To prevent your battery from draining while the vehicle is being towed, remove the 50 amp BATT1 fuse in the UBEC, and store in a safe location.
7. Release the parking brake.
Once you have reached your destination, do the following steps:
1. Set the parking brake.
2. Reinstall the BATT1 fuse.
3. Shift the transmission to PARK (P), turn the ignition key to OFF and remove the key from the ignition.
4. Release the parking brake.
Parts Information

Part Number Description
25784721 Underhood Bussed Electrical Center
(replaces 25784722)
25784723 Underhood Bussed Electrical Center
(replaces 25784726)
25784725 Underhood Bussed Electrical Center (replaces 25784724)
Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Operation Description Labor Time
N1730 Block Assembly, Wiring Harness Junction - Engine - Replace 0.3 hr

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

2008 Enclave CXL AWD Cocoa/Cashmere, captain chairs, luxury package, drivers confidence, towing, sunroof, Ent. #4 DVD/Nav.
rpasetto
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 12:05:40 PM »

Anyone have any experience with this?  We're hoping to take delivery of a new Enclave in 2 or 3 weeks.  We'll need to get it set up for dinghy towing in the spring.  I'm planning on going with a Blue Ox baseplate and towbar, and probably the SMI AF1 brake controller.  Not sure what to do about lights or battery disconnect yet.

Thanks!

joe

Hi,
 I just got my enclave.. also going to tow it.  Did you get the Blue Ox Baseplate?  How was the installation to do?  (yourself or dealer?).   How did you handle the rest of the setup... e.g.  diodes or lightbar, battery disconnect switch, fuse or chaqrge wire, etc.  THanks for your input.

.. Rick

.. RP
08 Enclave Cocoa/Cashmere, Sunroof, Nav, Driver Conf.
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
― Stephen Hawking
rondi

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 07:43:13 PM »

I would check the taillight assembly to see if you can install another light bulb for turn signal/brake and running lights.  It keeps you from modifying any chassis wiring.  BlueOx sells a kit for this, which i installed in our towed--a 2007 Ranger.  The Ranger taillight assembly had an area which worked great for the mounting the light bulb.

hth, Ron

9/29 Took delivery (Ordered 8/4)-- 2009 CXL AWD, Gold Mist/ Cashmere, 7 passenger, Luxury, Driver Confidence (without Heated Washer Fluid), and Trailering pkg, Block heater, Entertainment #1, Rear Center Console, Heated/Cooled Seats, Chromed Wheels
gigeyes

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 04:51:19 PM »

Just got back from a 5500+ mile trip towing the Enclave. Everything worked just fine.
I had a Roadmaster baseplate installed (less to take apart on the Enclave then a Blue Ox) but either would be fine.
Towing was no problem except pulling the fuse every time you tow. Got a longer fuse that fits in the same spot as the OEM and made it easier to pull. One problem that happens when the fuse is pulled is that you often the a "check engine light" after reinstalling the fuse. It goes away after a few days. Used a diode kit for the lights, works great. Also use a Brake Buddy for supplemental braking. Any other questions just ask. Would be happy to help.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 04:52:51 PM by gigeyes » Logged
rpasetto
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 08:00:40 AM »

Did you install diodes and wire it?  If so, where were diodes installed?  Where did you run wires?

.. rp

.. RP
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
― Stephen Hawking
gigeyes

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 11:24:37 AM »

Yes, diodes were used, but i was not there when they were installed. So I am not sure where they are. I think they are just below the the rear light fixture The wiring is under the car.
rpasetto
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 12:09:11 PM »

Hi, Just to update anyone who is interested in Dinghy towing their Enclave, I finally decided on the Towbar base plate from Demco.  I based his on carefully studying installation instructions for baseplates (brackets) from three major manufacturers: Blue Ox, Roadmaster, and Demco.

Even 'though I'm more familiar with Blue Ox, and knowing theirs has removable tabs, I ruled them out because of this:  The instructions from Blue Ox specifies  "Mark 2 1/2” across the top of the frame rail front from middle rib just below bumper and 1 5/8” across bottom; cut and remove with a reciprocating saw (white arrow).. "  I verified this with Blue Ox and decided I didn't want to do that cutting to my 'clave.

The Roadmaster instructions I saw illustrated installation on a Saturn VUE, and showed the differences to install on the Enclave in a supplement.  I didn't get too far in reviewing that one when I noticed that their baseplate requires one to cut into the fascia as well as into the removable lower grille for clearance.

So, anyway, I decided on the Demco baseplate.  bought it along with adapter "ears" to use with my Blue Ox towbar.  Install took me a bit longer than the 4-5 hours stated by Demco, but most of the time lost was in figuring out how to remove the front Fascia of the Enclave. (The slowdown was only in one step... getting to a screw on each side which attaches fascia to fender..)  Once all that was done, install proceded OK with minimal mods to the Enclave itself.  I had to drill only three holes, no cutting, other than into plastic.  The only cosmetic alteration is cutting out some of the pieces of the removable plastic lower grille to allow the baseplate tabs to protrude.

More to follow on wiring.

.. RP

.. RP
― Stephen Hawking
rpasetto
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 04:56:23 PM »

Yes, diodes were used, but i was not there when they were installed. So I am not sure where they are. I think they are just below the the rear light fixture The wiring is under the car.

Thanks for your tip on the diodes, gigeyes!  I installed them on the tail light and turn/stop light lines.  All OK so far.  I just ran a short (apprx 5 mile) tow test.. everything worked OK.  By the way, I didn't pull the BATT fuse or disconnect the battery.  Rather than do that I wired a charge line from my coach to the Enclave (I got this tip from the Monaco Coach forum on Yahoo Groups).

.. RP

.. RP
― Stephen Hawking
gigeyes

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 06:08:46 PM »

RP
I'm glad everything worked out OK. We have been towing quite a bit and the E tows very well. On the base plate install all we had to cut was a few of the crosshatched plastic of the facia (Roadmaster). How are you charging the E battery? What happens when you are stopped, is there a drain on the coach battery. Travel safe.
rpasetto
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 06:05:03 AM »

RP
I'm glad everything worked out OK. We have been towing quite a bit and the E tows very well. On the base plate install all we had to cut was a few of the crosshatched plastic of the facia (Roadmaster). How are you charging the E battery? What happens when you are stopped, is there a drain on the coach battery. Travel safe.

I had to cut a few cross hatched sections of the lower grille for the Demco baseplate also (not the fascia itself).

There's a  charge wire from the motorhome which is hot only when the coach engine is running.  I wired this to the Enclave's battery terminal in the rear passenger side of the engine compartment.  It runs through a diode and circuit breaker.  (There's also a circuit breaker on the coach side.)  I do not remove fuses or disconnect battery.

With this setup, of course, there's still drain on the Enclave battery when the rig is stopped.  I don't think this'll do much for short stopovers... I have not yet had any long ones.  Do you ever stop with the toad attached for long periods?  Do you shut off the ignition switch on the 'clave? .. disconnect battery?

.. RP

.. RP
― Stephen Hawking
gigeyes

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 09:43:14 PM »

RP
I have had times when I stop overnight and leave the E hooked up. I do pull the fuse anyway so there should not be a problem. When I remember I do shut the E off overnight. I also don't like leaving the keys in the ignition overnight even though its attached to the coach.
I've thought about putting a switch under the dash, but it is so hard finding a way into the inside of the E that I have put it off for a while. It took me half a day to snake the wires for my brake buddy into the E. I don't like drilling holes into the fire wall.
rpasetto
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 07:58:04 AM »

RP
I have had times when I stop overnight and leave the E hooked up. I do pull the fuse anyway so there should not be a problem. When I remember I do shut the E off overnight. I also don't like leaving the keys in the ignition overnight even though its attached to the coach.
I've thought about putting a switch under the dash, but it is so hard finding a way into the inside of the E that I have put it off for a while. It took me half a day to snake the wires for my brake buddy into the E. I don't like drilling holes into the fire wall.

I bought a key blank then had it cut but did not program it.  Tried it in a short tow run.. the security light came on of course.  At the end of the trip I put in my regular key... security light went off and the Enclave started normally.  Better than leaving a real key n the ignition.  Better still would be a blank without the chip.. but I can't find that.

By the way, there's a big rubber gasket which goes thru the firewall, slightly lower and toward the outside of the steering column.  You can poke through that.. I used a thin screwdriver, then enlarged the hold to snake the brake buddy cable (plus a separate power cable for it).  If you need to poke through, be careful not to damage the bundle of wire already coming through.

.. RP
― Stephen Hawking
jrshall

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 12:02:19 PM »

I currently tow a 3400 lb. Saturn LW3 with my 1999 37 ft. m/h powered with Ford V10 gas engine. I am happy with the power and response with this setup. I am considering towing the E instead of the Saturn, but am somewhat concerned with the additional weight of the E (about 1500 lbs.). It would still be within the m/h tow rating, but I am concerned with the power and response I would get with the added weight.

Can those of you who tow your E comment on how it affected your m/h, especially if your m/h is gas?

Thanks in advance, JR

2009 CXL Cocoa/Cashmere, Ent #1, Most everything else, missed out on the cooled seats
rpasetto
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 02:12:28 PM »

I currently tow a 3400 lb. Saturn LW3 with my 1999 37 ft. m/h powered with Ford V10 gas engine. I am happy with the power and response with this setup. I am considering towing the E instead of the Saturn, but am somewhat concerned with the additional weight of the E (about 1500 lbs.). It would still be within the m/h tow rating, but I am concerned with the power and response I would get with the added weight.

Can those of you who tow your E comment on how it affected your m/h, especially if your m/h is gas?

Thanks in advance, JR

Hello, jrshall.  Welcome to the forum!  My coach has a Cummins ISL diesel (400HP, 1200 ftLb Torque).   The heaviest thing I ever towed when I had a gas powered MH was a 3400 lb Jeep Cherokee.  That motorhome, a 34 foot Pace Arrow, was rated to tow 3500 lb.   I don't remember the exact engine ratings; it was a 460 Ford V8 with HP in the 300's but torque was around the 400's, typical of gas V8's.  The latter figure is important when it comes to pulling long grades.  When I changed over to a diesel powered coach, the difference was significant;  never before had I noticed people driving slowly in front of me.  Grin

It's important to check your GCWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Rating), as well as the "tow rating" stamped on the receiver.  Make sure you don't exceed either of these figures going down toe road.  You'll definitely notice the difference.  I notice the difference between the Enclave and the Honda CRV I used to tow, but it's not a problem for me.

You probably won't notice much on straight. flat roads; it's the hills, and accelerating from a stoplight where you'll notice it most.  Most motorhomers aren't all that concerned with "making time" on the road, after all you're already home.   Smiley Smiley 

If you do decide to tow the Enclave, let me know and I'll share my experiences installing a towbar base plate (bracket) and doing the wiring.

Whatever you tow, also consider using auxiliary braking.

.. RP
― Stephen Hawking
rpasetto
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 09:29:01 PM »

An update:  After about a thousand miles of towing, I realizeed that the mileage racks up... I put in a disconnect switch, now the mileage does not update... so much for the charge-wire idea.

.. RP
― Stephen Hawking
gigeyes

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 03:04:35 PM »

rpsetto
Where did you put the switch, and what wires switch did you use?
rpasetto
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 12:16:50 AM »

There's a red cable (+) coming from the battery comp't. to the fuse box.  I used a High Current Battery Disconnect.  Turns out to be a lot easier than opening the fuse box and removing the Batt1 fuse.  I had measured the "parasitic draw" with the ign switch on and it's around 5amp; enough to kill a battery in a day or so.

The only load on the Enclave battery now is the 12v for the aux braking system (Brake Buddy).  Charge wire from coach charges the battery when coach is running.

I used a side-terminal style battery disconnect switch from Summit Racing, of all places.  Lots of disconnects around, but few of the side type.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=qcc-850113-010u
If you run a charge wire, &/or connect a braking system to 12v, remember to connect wires to the battery side of the disconnect switch... through adequate fuses or circuit breakers of course.

A few more notes....

• Mileage will not update when towing when the Enclave is powered down.
  • The Front window "auto-up" feature has to be re-programmed
  • Radio time needs to be reset.
  • Remember to close windows, etc before powering down  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 03:36:24 PM by rpasetto » Logged

.. RP
― Stephen Hawking
jrshall

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 03:01:24 PM »

I'm finally getting ready to set up the E for towing. I am looking at the Demco baseplate and probably a Demco tow bar. Does anyone have experience with this tow bar? I see many use the Blue Ox, but at Quartzite, I was not impressed with the Blue Ox rep. The Blue Ox baseplate includes a crossmember behind the fascia, and apparently a good amount of cutting. The Demco appears to be much easier to mount. Is that correct? I also looked at Roadmaster, but I don't like the fact that you need an external crossmember with the tow bar. If youi want a clean look when not towing, you need to remove the crossmember, then remove two mounting brackets from the base plates. Just seems like too many parts.

I will probably just pull the fuse, or put in a remote switch, when towing. However, if I pull the fuse, will I still have power for aux brakes?

I am also interested in what brake system to use. I know there are several like the Brake Buddy, but they look like they could be a bit of a pain to set up each time you hook up. I was looking at the US Gear system, http://www.usgear.cc/unified_tow_brake.htm. This looks like a good system, but I have some concerns. It looks like the activating cylinder goes under the front seat. Is there enough room in the E? There is also a vacuum pump mounted under the hood to provide vacuum assist. There isn't much room under there. I guess what I am asking is whether anyone here has any experience with this system on a Lambda.

For lights, I plan on using diodes and splicing into the existing lights. Someone mentioned putting additional bulbs in the taillight assembly. Has anyone here gone that route?

I think that pretty much covers the mods I will need to make. Did I leave anything out?

Thanks for any advice, JR

2009 CXL Cocoa/Cashmere, Ent #1, Most everything else, missed out on the cooled seats
rpasetto
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 03:43:52 PM »

I'm finally getting ready to set up the E for towing. I am looking at the Demco baseplate and probably a Demco tow bar. Does anyone have experience with this tow bar? I see many use the Blue Ox, but at Quartzite, I was not impressed with the Blue Ox rep. The Blue Ox baseplate includes a crossmember behind the fascia, and apparently a good amount of cutting. The Demco appears to be much easier to mount. Is that correct? I also looked at Roadmaster, but I don't like the fact that you need an external crossmember with the tow bar. If youi want a clean look when not towing, you need to remove the crossmember, then remove two mounting brackets from the base plates. Just seems like too many parts.

I will probably just pull the fuse, or put in a remote switch, when towing. However, if I pull the fuse, will I still have power for aux brakes?

I am also interested in what brake system to use. I know there are several like the Brake Buddy, but they look like they could be a bit of a pain to set up each time you hook up. I was looking at the US Gear system, http://www.usgear.cc/unified_tow_brake.htm. This looks like a good system, but I have some concerns. It looks like the activating cylinder goes under the front seat. Is there enough room in the E? There is also a vacuum pump mounted under the hood to provide vacuum assist. There isn't much room under there. I guess what I am asking is whether anyone here has any experience with this system on a Lambda.

For lights, I plan on using diodes and splicing into the existing lights. Someone mentioned putting additional bulbs in the taillight assembly. Has anyone here gone that route?

I think that pretty much covers the mods I will need to make. Did I leave anything out?

Thanks for any advice, JR
HI,

I put in the Demco Baseplate, and bought adapters so I could use it with my Blue Ox Avanta2 towbar.

If you look at the Blue Ox instructions, installation requires cutting the crossbar under the fascia.  That's too much cutting for me to feel secure that I haven't affected the structural integrity of the Enclave.  This issue strongly overshadowed the removability of the tabs so the Blue-Ox baseplate is less visible than the Demco one.  I also looked at instructions for the roadmaster, this required a lot of cutting of the plastic fascia of the car.

Only thing required for install of the Demco is drilling a pair of holes in the bumper mount brackets; the rest is cutting away some plastic.  The only cosmetic change is cutting the lower black plastic grillework where the towbar tabs protrude.  This cutting is minimal and, if you ever wanted to remove the baseplate, the only thing you'd need to replace would be this little lower grille.  On the Roadmaster, fascia also needs to be cut away to install the towbar adapter plates and ext. crossbar.

Only tricky part of the Demco is removing two capscrews which hold the fascia to fender at leading edge of the fenders.  I snet Demco pictures for that step since theirs were hard to decipher... I don't know if they've updated their install guide.  After the Demco is installed, two black metal tabs are visible, coming thru that black plastic lower grillework.  Read thru Demco's instructions and if you have further questions., let me know.

You can just pull the Batt1 fuse... if you do that route, get a spare fuse just in case it gets lost.  I did that, then decided to install a battery cutoff switch.  I used a side terminal type as per my earlier post... but you could also modify a post-type cutoff with some "hacking".

For lighting, I use diodes.  After the Camping World diode block failed on me with my first Jeep toad, I've used 5 amp diodes, you can get them at Radio Shack, or most electronics stores or online at places like All Electronics. (The block from CW had 2a diodes which just fried after a while). You need a pair for each brake light, and another pair for each taillight.

I've had a Brake Buddy for some time.  It may not be sophisticated as some of the others, but it's fairly simple to use and easy to set up.   By the way, I ran a charge wire from the coach, through a circuit breaker, of course.  This ensures against the unlikely chance that brake buddy use will not drop the Enclave battery low.

Good luck and happy travels.

.. RP
― Stephen Hawking
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories