Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
March 30, 2017, 08:42:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Search all 4 Lambda Forums at once with the "Super Search" box! Click search in the top nav bar to find it.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aftermarket stereo replacement advice  (Read 9028 times, 19 Replies)
Andy_s

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:07:22 PM »

Hi everyone,

Perhaps someone has some experience with those units. My current audio system is basic (no video) just a regular radio/cd/xm without nav or anything like that.

I was looking to upgrade the main unit and add a rear LCD to my 2008 Enclave.

I stumbled upon the units like this on e-bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-4-2-Car-DVD-GPS-Navi-BT-For-GMC-Yukon-Buick-Enclave-Chevy-Saturn-Tahoe-/191382963531?vxp=mtr

there are a ton like that just search "2008 buick enclave +dvd android"
for some of those (like the one i referenced) seller claims it will use steering wheel controls, has a rear backup camera, dual zones, picture-in-picture on front unit. the unit seems impressive, but how about personal experience with similar units - does anyone has any to share?

Thank you!

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
mifd118

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 04:04:51 AM »

Hi Andy. i have the '09 enclave and just like you mine has the standard radio unit. i too have been looking at fitting a touchscreen nav unit. looking at the unit your interested in i would say be very careful and expect that there will be compatibility issues. the fact that it is android and has chinese writing on some of the apps is a warning straight away. sure it may change station with the steering wheel button, but can you be sure the volume will mute for an incoming call, do you need the amp for non bose speakers?? personally, i would stay away from this deal. to be sure you get a true plug and play unit that is fully compatible get an OEM unit. as great as the android operating system is, it is not the original OEM operating system and is the first sign that it probably wont work properly.
in my investigations i have found refurbished OEM units for around $800 plus the cost of the amp for non bose speakers. or around $2000 for a new one at dealer prices. personally, i think the extra cost for an original unit offsets the possible frustration of a chinese unit that has a plug and fits in the hole.
timmy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 11:31:15 AM »

The OEM system stinks, don't waste your time or money on it.  Speaking of money how much do you want to spend and how handy are you at installing things? 

The item you posted might be fine.  Always a gamble buying an unknown unit.  If you get it let us know how it works out, you might love it or it might be a disaster.  The seller seems to have put a lot of thought into their listing, its just a matter of how does it do in the real world.

You can find an OGM1 unit that will do what you want.  Plug and play and you are done

Another option is to go aftermarket.  The Maestro data link will allow you to plug into a compatible aftermarket unit with ease. 

How do you want rear video?  Do you want an overhead unit (less expensive) or do you want the headrest units (more expensive)?

Price wise DVD Headunits are about $350-$500, if you want navigation it will be about $700-$1000 instead.  An overhead screen is about $175-$300.  Headrest displays are about $1200 if you want it to look OEM and not ghetto.  The Maestro Data Link is about $125.

Let us know what you do.
Andy_s

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 12:31:56 PM »

Hi there,

Thank you for suggestions. At the same time I was also looking to get a feedback from someone who already has/had the unit like this. I find it hard to believe that there is not a single person on this forum, who has tried this before.

I'm pretty savvy when it comes to my enclave and do many things myself like brakes, rotors, speed sensors, struts on mechanical part and have no problems using soldering iron or use and understand the oscilloscopes if I have to on electonics part. So, I do not think I will have many problems installing this (to a degree though).

Anyhow major issue I have with oem units is nothing irritates me more than the limited functionality if you are not in park and pay 2x or 4x more than this one. I know, I should not operate the unit when in drive, but I never do - my wife would be switching video for kids, or operate navi. So, that is not a problem. The issue of not lowering the volume when call comes in, is not a deal breaker on it's own, but at the same time, when you watch movies on your android phone and call comes in, it pauses the video for the call - so it can easily be done here as well (I presume). It will worth the ask though.

Anyhow, I do not care about headrest units - I will get the lcd monitor for this connect as a second zone.

That seems to be all for now.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 12:33:46 PM by Andy_s » Logged
mifd118

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 07:15:45 PM »

i agree Timmy, the OEM units are not great and the OGM1 units are THE one to get. if i could find one, and under $1000 i would grab it. i suppose there are so many cheap chinese units out there it would be lucky to find a person out of such a small group here that has used that exact unit. im just too anal to put up with even 1 incompatibility and i would rather pay extra to guarantee 100% that everything works exactly as intended.
FortWayne1

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 04:58:20 PM »

a quick search yielded this:

http://www.amazon.com/CarShow-CS-GM1210-Factory-Look-Navigation-System/dp/B00DRMSKUU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=07GD2N0D2TJ7KMCMQMQ4

2008 CXL AWD White Diamond Tri-Coat w/ Titanium Leather; DVD, Nav, Dual sunroof w/19" - 7 Spoke Chrome Rims
FortWayne1

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 05:27:55 PM »

I disagree that the factory is junk.  I don't mind the factory touchscreen in my 08.  But, and this is a big but, I don't use the Navigation.  I think that's most people's complaint. We use a garmin or an Iphone. But the factory is ideal for backup camera as compared to the mirror mounted lcd for backup camera. I like the big screen. I also like being able to select some settings for the DVD while in park. 

2008 CXL AWD White Diamond Tri-Coat w/ Titanium Leather; DVD, Nav, Dual sunroof w/19" - 7 Spoke Chrome Rims
Andy_s

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 01:09:08 AM »

Hi There Smiley

Finally, after almost 2 years, i've decided to write a review of the Android unit, I have purchased for my '08 enclave. As in my original message, i had a very standard and bare stereo unit.

The new unit came with a lot of wiring and 2 additional "devices" - one is a little speaker, and another one is a CAN-BUS decoder. The installation was a real plug and play - the "dongle" that connects to the back of the unit, has 2 blocks, that will accept a connections from the vehicle as-is - no modifications whatsoever.
the unit also came with the external GPS antenna, that  had enough length to be easily wired to the left corner under the windshield, and still some left.

differences i noticed right away:

the "vehicle sounds" like the door chime, the turn signal click, etc are all coming out that little additional speaker that i hid underneath the stereo, and i can still hear it pretty loud and clear. The stock radio would play those sounds through the speakers.

when the call comes in, the stereo would pause everything it currently plays and will resume everything after the call is completed. however, some applications like google maps would still be active - for example you can easily use navigation and have a phone call at the same time.

little items i have noticed:

- the stereo will dim the screen when headlights come on - just enough to not be a source of a big light during night driving.
- the stereo can easily be operated by the buttons on the steering wheel,
- the stereo will play various files from USB stick.
- other little things like that and more as you would expect from Android device.

I still have not tried all of the features - like rear-facing camera, etc. however the manual and configuration screens have the options to configure those. Apparently, the device has a few video inputs, and can be used as a dash-cam DVR, however i did not had a chance to try this out.

overall, i will not say that i miss any features i was originally looking for, as i got everything i need, and then some Smiley Oh, one more thing - when paired with BlueTooth OBD reader, there are a ton of different software on google play that will allow you to do a lot of stuff right from this unit.

there are a few pictures of the unit attached.

Overall - i'm very happy with the unit i got, and i've used that unit for almost 2 years now. Now, the company does not do those units anymore (mine was dual-core) they do a quad-core units now Smiley

Perhaps, this post will help someone Smiley
IndianaSlim

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 02:27:14 PM »

Do any of these aftermarket units include XM?  That would be a deal breaker if not.
cfedor
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 07:23:18 PM »

Do any of these aftermarket units include XM?  That would be a deal breaker if not.
Ditto  I haven't found one that supports XM.

HIS: 2008 Enclave CXL AWD Red Jewel/Titanium Leather, Premium package 19" Chrome 7-spoke, AM/FM/CD/DVD/NAV 10 speaker Bose, LED upgrades inside and out.  124K Miles

HERS: 2009 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD Black/Tan Loaded. 93K Miles
silverfox

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 08:02:01 AM »

OGM-1 supports XM.

2009 CXL Silver with all options
cfedor
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 08:10:14 PM »

OGM-1 supports XM.
Too much $$$$ for my pocket.  Sad

HIS: 2008 Enclave CXL AWD Red Jewel/Titanium Leather, Premium package 19" Chrome 7-spoke, AM/FM/CD/DVD/NAV 10 speaker Bose, LED upgrades inside and out.  124K Miles

rexster

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 11:39:29 PM »

Too much $$$$ for my pocket.  Sad

Guess I better not say anything about the 1800$ I spent changing out the nav unit in our XLR

Rex
09 Red Jewel CXL Enclave Traded for KR Ford Expedition May 27, 2012
My other car is 2006 Cadillac XLR
cfedor
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2016, 03:11:33 AM »

Guess I better not say anything about the 1800$ I spent changing out the nav unit in our XLR

Shocked

Andy_s

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 10:18:05 PM »

At least this unit does not support XM - who needs XM anyways when you can have a tons of sound tracks you like, written on microsd??? I hated XM right from the beginning, and I generally refuse to pay for the "additional" features regardless of how much they cost. If i bought the vehicle, i shall be able to use anything inside that vehicle without added cost (wear and tear excepted from this statement).

-----GM employees do not read further------

Without giving an idea to GM, i'd not be surprised, if tomorrow GM comes up with the option for the drivers to subscribe for additional features like Airconditioner, or if you want to use AC for longer than 20 min per vehicle start, there would be additional charge, or for example every time the passenger airbag comes on (you have a passenger in the seat) - the GM bills you a quarter. If we get completely wild, i can see a "right and left signals" being on the subscription basis ($2/month for right and $5/month for left) - some people do not use them anyways. I do not see why not, but ever time you start your vehicle, you get to pay $1.  Anyways - you get the idea Smiley

So, at the end of the day, as far as i'm concerned, availability of the XM in my vehicle, is on the very bottom of the totem pole.
gotkwah

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 08:52:57 PM »

I just got a 2015 Enclave and i really dont like the Radio/Nav unit. I feel like it is stuck in 2005.
Looking for a good replacement. Do not care about XM, but do care about my backup cam, Want something Android Friendly pref with Android Auto.

Any suggestions?
rexster

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2017, 09:18:03 PM »

When I had our Enclave, I had a Kenwood installed. It's still on the forum somewhere. This past summer I had a Kenwood 893s installed in our 2006 XLR. Top of the line, Garmin nav, HD radio, Sirius ready, bluetooth, USB, DVD/CD, SD, and a backup camera installed. It's also compatible with Android Auto which is really cool. It's also MHL compatible if you want to mirror your Android's screen on the Kenwood.
Looks like this : 

Rex
gotkwah

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 10:22:43 PM »

Would i have to get the iDatalink Maestro RR with it?

i am a bit worried about the top of the unit. The enclave radio has rounded corner on the top, whereas almost everything else i have seen have square (or almost square) corners. is it going to fit well inside the woodgrain trim without looking odd?
(sorry, cant post a link to an image of the 2015 radio yet, too much of a newbie here)
rexster

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 10:54:02 AM »

Would i have to get the iDatalink Maestro RR with it?

i am a bit worried about the top of the unit. The enclave radio has rounded corner on the top, whereas almost everything else i have seen have square (or almost square) corners. is it going to fit well inside the woodgrain trim without looking odd?
(sorry, cant post a link to an image of the 2015 radio yet, too much of a newbie here)

The iDataLink is not required, but would make it easy for adding other peripherals. I can't say about the Enclave opening, I know the Kenwood fit perfectly in my 09, but not sure if any changes made after that model year. There are dash installation kits too numerous to mention that would probably address that. Crutchfield.com can more than likely answer that question and more if you contacted them prior to purchase

Rex
posvibeonly

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 09:33:38 PM »

was just on Crutchfield they have a bunch of units and give the info what's needed  to plug and play. prices where 250 to 1400.
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories