Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
March 24, 2017, 11:58:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Search all 4 Lambda Forums at once with the "Super Search" box! Click search in the top nav bar to find it.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why wasn't the 2008 Enclave included in the timing chain warranty extension?  (Read 16802 times, 13 Replies)
doncaruana

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2014, 11:16:12 AM »

Does anyone know why the infamous timing chain powertrain warranty extension did not include the 2008 enclave? It included the 2007 and 2009 Acadia and Outlook and 2009 Enclave but not the 2008. The thing is, my Enclave was built in May of 2007 and has the same engine. And, guess what? Same timing chain issue! At the dealer right now, out of warranty, of course, waiting for me to show up and drop around $2,400 to pay for them to replace the timing chain and do all the stuff they need to around that.

I have the same LY7 engine and a timing chain needing to get replaced under 100,000 miles is ridiculous. I've actually never had a vehicle where that was necessary at all. So obviously it's an issue - but why in the heck did they skip the 2008 models?

Sorry for the rant, but I figured if anyone would know, it'd be the folks here. And, I have to say, after having to drop a like amount just last year to rebuild the transmission (driving our daughter back and forth to school and soccer must put a heckuva load on this car), this is the most expensive vehicle I've ever owner. Two ridiculously early big expenses equals a poor-quality vehicle, in my mind. I've already spent way more on it than I have on my '97 Tahoe with over 200,000 miles on it.
zebra26

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 01:02:39 PM »

Does anyone know why the infamous timing chain powertrain warranty extension did not include the 2008 enclave? It included the 2007 and 2009 Acadia and Outlook and 2009 Enclave but not the 2008. The thing is, my Enclave was built in May of 2007 and has the same engine. And, guess what? Same timing chain issue! At the dealer right now, out of warranty, of course, waiting for me to show up and drop around $2,400 to pay for them to replace the timing chain and do all the stuff they need to around that.

I have the same LY7 engine and a timing chain needing to get replaced under 100,000 miles is ridiculous. I've actually never had a vehicle where that was necessary at all. So obviously it's an issue - but why in the heck did they skip the 2008 models?

Sorry for the rant, but I figured if anyone would know, it'd be the folks here. And, I have to say, after having to drop a like amount just last year to rebuild the transmission (driving our daughter back and forth to school and soccer must put a heckuva load on this car), this is the most expensive vehicle I've ever owner. Two ridiculously early big expenses equals a poor-quality vehicle, in my mind. I've already spent way more on it than I have on my '97 Tahoe with over 200,000 miles on it.

I've never had a car other than a GM, but they're starting to piss me off by sitting back and doing nothing with the many faults of the early models. No idea why they haven't put an extension on a few things (eg transmission). I have a 2008 and I was debating whether to get rid of it. My extended warranty expires in Feb 2015. I've gotten a few things out of the extended warranty over the past 3 years, but the primary reason I purchased the extended warranted was for the wave plate issue. It hasn't happen... yet. As far as I know, I'm on my original timing chain as well. I'm currently pricing out extended warranties for another 2 years / 24000 miles in case I decide to hold on to the Enclave. I don't want to have 2 car payments and I'm only 1 year in on my wife's CR-V. I may be looking at the new Honda Pilot in 2 years.

2008 Enclave CXL AWD with Entertainment Pkg #2, Confidence, Luxury, 7 Passenger. Blue Gold/Titanium.
Ordered: 12/31/2007, Picked Up: 2/21/2008, Sold: 07/11/2016
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L
2017 Kia Sorento EX-V6
Ordered: 06/25/2016, Picked Up: 07/11/2016
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 05:13:41 PM »

Whether real or perceived, it seems that GM supports its customers who are victims of early model faults less than most other car companies.

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
Buick Customer Service
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 10:50:43 AM »

If you're interested in sending us your VIN and contact information we'll gladly document your concerns on file, doncarauna. We recognize you're frustrated and we do apologize. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

Amber N.
Buick Customer Care

I've never had a car other than a GM, but they're starting to piss me off by sitting back and doing nothing with the many faults of the early models. No idea why they haven't put an extension on a few things (eg transmission). I have a 2008 and I was debating whether to get rid of it. My extended warranty expires in Feb 2015. I've gotten a few things out of the extended warranty over the past 3 years, but the primary reason I purchased the extended warranted was for the wave plate issue. It hasn't happen... yet. As far as I know, I'm on my original timing chain as well. I'm currently pricing out extended warranties for another 2 years / 24000 miles in case I decide to hold on to the Enclave. I don't want to have 2 car payments and I'm only 1 year in on my wife's CR-V. I may be looking at the new Honda Pilot in 2 years.

We certainly understand your frustration, zebra26. Please know we're available via private message if you'd like to further discuss your concerns.

Amber N.
Buick Customer Care
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:39:46 PM by Buick Customer Service » Logged

Have you checked into Buick Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.buick.com!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html
amyray

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 10:58:20 AM »

I didn't get a letter on my 09 Enclave for the timing chain.  I got the wave plate one this week though.
Napjax

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 01:14:28 PM »

Hi all,
Was searching the boards but couldn't find any updates to why the 08s are not included in the timing chain extended coverage.  Has anyone heard of why? Before I brought my car in I checked on the Buick owners website and nothing about the timing chain, so it's going to cost me $2800.  Mine is a Sept 07 production date.  Service guy at the dealer said they're experts in fixing them since they fix so many.  He couldn't understand why there is no extended warranty for some lambdas and not others.  My only option is to get it fixed and hope that GM comes back someday and issues the extended coverage for the 08s and I get reimbursed, like they did for the wave plate, water pump, power steering, master brake cylinder, throttle, .....what else am I missing.   (Not even bringing the full fledged recalls into the conversation).

paid close to $40k for the Enclave and then over $10k in repairs.  Got some of it back but GM is not making it easy at all.  I can understand that to a point, but when these early lambdas have so many common issues (which usually are major issues) you would think GM would eliminate some of the red tape.
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 01:42:36 PM »

Napjax, it's apparently a VIN specific issue based on which batch(es) of chains were installed. But, I haven't been able to find a definitive explanation directly from GM, either.

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
Napjax

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 01:58:11 PM »

I believe the 08 Acadias and Outlooks are included.  Just bugging me that no one at GM can tell me why not the Enclaves.  if they have a different chain then just say that.  but the fact that GM is not saying that, and the fact that the Enclaves were the most popular early lambdas make me think they just don't want to address the larger #s.
cfedor
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 11:48:26 AM »

I believe the 08 Acadias and Outlooks are included.  Just bugging me that no one at GM can tell me why not the Enclaves.  if they have a different chain then just say that.  but the fact that GM is not saying that, and the fact that the Enclaves were the most popular early lambdas make me think they just don't want to address the larger #s.
Just plain dumb.

HIS: 2008 Enclave CXL AWD Red Jewel/Titanium Leather, Premium package 19" Chrome 7-spoke, AM/FM/CD/DVD/NAV 10 speaker Bose, LED upgrades inside and out.  124K Miles

HERS: 2009 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD Black/Tan Loaded. 93K Miles
Diskman

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 12:46:04 PM »

As the original owner of a 2008 Saturn Outlook, I can assure you that 2008 Outlooks are also excluded.
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 01:02:45 PM »

Here's a post with a detailed list of effected cars:

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=9664.msg141833#msg141833

Apparently, none of the 2008 lambdas were involved.

cfedor
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 10:01:24 PM »

Here's a post with a detailed list of effected cars:

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=9664.msg141833#msg141833

Apparently, none of the 2008 lambdas were involved.
Still, just plain dumb.

HIS: 2008 Enclave CXL AWD Red Jewel/Titanium Leather, Premium package 19" Chrome 7-spoke, AM/FM/CD/DVD/NAV 10 speaker Bose, LED upgrades inside and out.  124K Miles

HERS: 2009 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD Black/Tan Loaded. 93K Miles
jayoder77

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 01:15:11 PM »

FWIW....I had mine changed out at 48,865 miles after noticing oil leaking from the front of the engine and on my driveway.  I have 96k miles now.  If it starts to leak again, I'm demanding their replacement at N/C.  Chains should last well over 100k miles.

'08 WDT CXL2 AWD, Cashmere Leather, Nav, Video, 19" Chrome kicks, and all the goodies.....
pmalavolti

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 09:20:46 PM »

ditto
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories