Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
November 23, 2014, 11:54:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Enclave Sales Numbers:     Mar: 4,899      YTD Total: 14,445     All Time: 187,013   (graph)

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Extended Warranty?  (Read 20275 times, 121 Replies)
Joe-drum

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2007, 03:29:57 PM »

some may know and some may not.
If you are making a trade and the vehicle still has months left on
the "Extended"warrenty you might have purchased previously.
You are entitled  to a check back to you for the months unused
at least through "GM" you are.so stay on top of it.
you have to get the dealer to prove to gm the payoff
then gm will get a check out to you in 7-10 days.

AWD cxl Cocoa /cashmere.lux,convience,chrome and entertainment #4 package. LOADED!
zman
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 03:39:27 PM »

Same for other manufacturers as well.  I got about $600 back on our Expedition when we traded it in.  Of course, all that means is I wasted about $1000 rather than $1600.  Sad

2011 Enclave CXL-2 AWD Gray Green Metallic/Ebony, 20" Chrome Wheels, Sunroof, Trailering Package, Splash Guards, Engine Block Heater

2014 Audi A4 Prestige - Ice Silver Metallic
krm

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 07:51:38 AM »

Thanks....I didn't know that.  This is the first time I've bought an extended warranty.  I put so much mileage on my car, I wanted to be able to keep this one for more than 2 years w/out it going out of warranty.
MsS42
Enclave Freak

Keep a Smile on Your Face and a Song in Your Heart

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 10:16:27 AM »

good info ty...i still have 3 years left on my extended warranty plus the car is still under it original warranty and still has less than 45k miles on it.  its and 03 volvo.

JEALOUSY IS CRUELER THAN THE GRAVE AND HATRED WILL SICKEN AND DESTROY YOUR SOUL UNTO DEATH...  IF YOU NEED TO BE HEALED JESUS  HEALS AND SAVES!!!!!!!!!!

TO THE WORLD YOU MAY BE JUST ONE PERSON BUT TO ONE PERSON YOU JUST MAY BE THE WORLD. GOD CARES FOR YOU
axiama
Global Moderator
Enclave Freak

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 10:36:21 AM »

I checked with the dealer about the extended warranty when I placed my order.  GM will sell you an extended warranty any time before your initial warranty expires.  The cost will be slightly higher than if you buy the warranty at the time of purchase.  However, you avoid paying for something today that you can't use until 48K miles later. 

2013 Iridium Metallic Convenience Package

2010 Midnight Blue Lacrosse CXS
klondike_kat

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 07:22:59 PM »

Anyone going with an extended warranty?  With the 48 month/50,000 mile bumper to bumper and 60 month/100,000 mile powertrain warranty, it's really looking out into the future.  I'm not found of the plans GM offers because of the limitations but I have been looking at Warranty Direct.  I'm still undecided at this point.

Does the 'first year' stigma still apply?  I'd like to think they've worked out some of those issues but the theory still makes sense.
krm

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 08:16:49 PM »

I went w/ the extended warranty (4yr/80miles), only because my husband does not like to keep a car past its warranty coverage.  I traded in my MDX for the Enclave after only 2 years because I put 50,000 miles on it in that time.  I want to keep my Enclave longer than that.  I don't know what's considered a good or bad deal for the warranty, but my dealer took off $200 off of the list price for the warranty.
axiama
Global Moderator
Enclave Freak

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 08:25:41 PM »

You can get the factory extended warranty after the purchase as long as the car is still covered under the  warranty (within 4 yrs/48,000 miles).  It is more expensive to buy it later rather than at time of purchase but you're not paying for something today that won't be used until 48,000 miles later. 

2013 Iridium Metallic Convenience Package

2010 Midnight Blue Lacrosse CXS
ticner58

With Age, Less & Less Impressed!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 09:02:49 PM »

Anyone going with an extended warranty?  With the 48 month/50,000 mile bumper to bumper and 60 month/100,000 mile powertrain warranty, it's really looking out into the future.  I'm not found of the plans GM offers because of the limitations but I have been looking at Warranty Direct.  I'm still undecided at this point.

Does the 'first year' stigma still apply?  I'd like to think they've worked out some of those issues but the theory still makes sense.

I'm a ACDelco WD here in Indiana and deal with a lot of repair shops that have had the great pleasure of dealing with extended warranty companies. I'm not sure what you mean by "first year" stigma but here is my 2 cents worth. The repair shop is probably you're best source on what warranty companies are easiest to work with. If you are on good terms with you're local independent repair shop talk to them about this subject. If not go to ACDelco.com and find the ACDelco TSS repair shop in you're area. They will probably be happy to help you out with information on this subject. From what I have been told and seen in the shops around me most of the companies are very hard to work with. Numerous phone calls will probably be required by the repair shop with labor and parts quotes. Remember the warranty company is in it to make money and most will go with the lesser price part every time no matter who the manufacturer is. Also, remember there will be a deductable that you will have to pay. The repair shop will also possibly want you to pay for his phone time trying to get approval if it becomes excessive. I also don't think that you'll have to worry about purchasing a plan until you're GM warranty is nearly up. If you purchase now, their just gonna use your money for 4 yrs. or 60000 miles. Who knows, they probably won't even be in business by then. It seems to me a lot of these companies have come and gone over the past few years. One question I have, Who brought up the subject you or the GM dealer your purchasing the Enclave from. If it's the dealer, it's just the same ole money grab on their part trying to grab you're last dollar. Similar to "paint sealant", "undercoating" "window etching" or even the good ole added on pinstripe. It always amazed me that a 50 ft roll of pinstripe that the dealer pays $10 for and can do 5-6 cars, can cost over $100 as an add on to new vehicles. I guess you could say that I'm not very high on car repair warranties other that what is offered by the manufacturer. My advice is keep your money and uses it on your first vacation in your new Enclave.

2005 Pontiac G/Prix (Black)
2013 Chevrolet Malibu ECO (Black Granite Met.)
2008 Buick Enclave CX, Red Jewel, Titanium Interior, 18" Machined Alum. Wheels, Driver Confidence Pkg., Power SunRoof, Integrated Asst. Steps.
klondike_kat

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 10:10:34 PM »

The dealer first brought up the subject and only deals in GM warranties, not third party warranty services.  I've heard nightmares about some 3rd party warranty services but also have heard some horror stories about the GM extended warranties as well.  I may have been turned off by the large trophy behind the finance manager's desk awarded to him for selling warranties.  They don't give out large trophies for selling low margin products and loss leaders far as I know.

The 3rd party warranty I did consider was Warranty Direct who has been around for 27 years, carries a high rating (insurance wise), and has a number of other accolades that give me some confidence.

But in the end I think I will probably just 'self insure'.  I'll take the cost of the warranty, set it aside in a long term CD and that money will be there for repairs later.

Oh, when I said 'first year' stigma, I meant the theory that some folks say 'never buy the first year's model' because of potential problems the manufacturers quality control didn't find.  The GM finance manager even tried this one... to which the obvious response is 'oh, you are right, perhaps I shouldn't buy the vehicle because it's a first year model'.
Clave Man

Brad to my friends..

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 12:09:51 AM »

You can learn a lot on this subject by reading this article by Consumers' CHECKBOOK:

Why Bother?

Extended service contracts for automobiles produce big profits for the dealers that sell them and the extended service contract companies that back them. On a contract for which you pay $1,000, the average payout for claims might be less than $250, with the rest going to administrative costs and profit.

Many new cars are very reliable, so there are few service claims. Also, many cars now carry long manufacturer warranties, so many service problems are covered by the warranty, leaving little to be covered by the extended service contract.

But millions of new car buyers each year buy these contracts. What you get, the salesperson will argue, is “peace of mind.”

If you decide you want to buy a service contract, this article will probably save you at least $150. But first you must decide whether one of these contracts makes sense for you.

You don’t have to rush your decision. Most service contract companies allow you to sign up long after you have purchased your new car. With most, you can delay the decision for at least the lesser of one year or 12,000 miles, and in many cases you can wait until just before your new car warranty expires.

Our general view on service contracts, which are simply insurance against repair bills, is the same as our view on other types of insurance. Don’t insure unless a possible loss—a large repair bill—would be very disruptive to your life. Why pay administrative costs and profits to an insurance company if you could simply “self-insure” and pay any unexpected bills out of your own pocket?

Complete article here along with a dealer in MD who, at the time of the article was promising to sell a [I assume] GM extended warranty for $50 over cost.
http://www.checkbook.org/auto/ExtendedService.cfm

[sold in 2010] 2008 Enclave CXL FWD with Ent Pkg #4, Towing, Confidence, Luxury, 7 Psgr. Red Jewel/Cashmere, 20 inch RV025 chrome wheels
2010 Honda Insight
2011 Mazda CX-9
rocketman

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 12:42:00 AM »

I'm still receiving offers of Extended Warranties on my 2003 Sierra Denali Quadrasteer Pickup. My Factory Warranty is history, yet these people are still trying to make that Profit.

Sep 08 2008 Traded  Immaculate 08 Enclave WDT CXL AWD with 2180 mi, for a 2009 CXL, White Diamond, FWD, Cashmere Interior,Fully Loaded,  Rear Console, Cooled Seats,Ent #4 and 19" Chrome with Hit the Road Pkg.
2011 Buick Lacrosse CXS, fully Loaded with Sun Roof and Rear DVD's,WDT/Cashmere.
MsS42
Enclave Freak

Keep a Smile on Your Face and a Song in Your Heart

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 01:47:38 AM »

i will never purchase extened warranty at purchase again.  i got it on my 03 volvo and the damn volvo is still under dealer warranty.... i have had the car 5 years and doesnt even have 45,000 miles on it.  the only thing i want is a service warranty, since my dad has retired and cannot service my cars anymore, i need a service contract can yall help me w/that?

JEALOUSY IS CRUELER THAN THE GRAVE AND HATRED WILL SICKEN AND DESTROY YOUR SOUL UNTO DEATH...  IF YOU NEED TO BE HEALED JESUS  HEALS AND SAVES!!!!!!!!!!

TO THE WORLD YOU MAY BE JUST ONE PERSON BUT TO ONE PERSON YOU JUST MAY BE THE WORLD. GOD CARES FOR YOU
ajaybarve

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 02:44:02 PM »

Anyone buy extended warranty with their Enclave.  I am seriously considering getting the GM Extended Warranty.   The dealer indicated it was as good as the 4/50 standard warranty.  However I am disappointed in that the Max term available is 7 yrs, 3 more than the standard and I keep my cars for about 9 years.  (I have 2 Acuras, 7 & 9 yrs old).  Given that this would be my first GM car I am seriously considering getting the warranty based on past GM performance history.

The dealer is charging several hundred (>400) more than what I can find on the Internet for the same GM warranty (I guess thats where they make their money). Anyone have experience buying GM warranties from the Internet.

White Diamond CXL, Cashmere, Lux Pkg, Driv. Conf. Pkg,   DVD Ent./NAV, Tow Pkg, Chrome Pkg.
netmag

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 03:51:45 PM »

I too am seriously considering the GMPP too. It depends on what kind of deal I can get on it. I'm not worried about any major issues but I just think that with all the new technology and such that somethings are bound to go awry as the vehicle ages.

If someone can also confirm if the Major Guard (the highest plan they have) covers everything that the new car warranty would, that would be great as well.
zman
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 03:57:42 PM »

The dealer is charging several hundred (>400) more than what I can find on the Internet for the same GM warranty (I guess thats where they make their money). Anyone have experience buying GM warranties from the Internet.

Personally, no, but I know of many people on a Corvette forum that have bought extended warranties from supporting dealers.  Everyone has seemed very happy.  I did buy a Ford extended warranty off of the web however.  It worked great, except that I never needed to use it.

2011 Enclave CXL-2 AWD Gray Green Metallic/Ebony, 20" Chrome Wheels, Sunroof, Trailering Package, Splash Guards, Engine Block Heater

ajaybarve

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 11:10:21 AM »

One more thing I discovered while researching GMPP warranty is that the warranty period/mileage starts on the day you purchase it as opposed to the date/Mileage when you got it new.  So to extend the coverage I am thinking of waiting on buying this warranty before my first year or 12K miles are up.  I am thinking this will prolong my total coverage since I tend to keep cars for a long time.  Anyone think differently?

White Diamond CXL, Cashmere, Lux Pkg, Driv. Conf. Pkg,   DVD Ent./NAV, Tow Pkg, Chrome Pkg.
zman
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 12:09:01 PM »

One more thing I discovered while researching GMPP warranty is that the warranty period/mileage starts on the day you purchase it as opposed to the date/Mileage when you got it new.  So to extend the coverage I am thinking of waiting on buying this warranty before my first year or 12K miles are up.  I am thinking this will prolong my total coverage since I tend to keep cars for a long time.  Anyone think differently?

If I understand you correctly, and it's possible I don't, I think you are incorrect on the start date.  Regardless of when you actually purchase the warranty, the term of the GMPP is based on when the vehicle was initially purchased.  Otherwise, why would everyone not wait until the bumper-to-bumper is about to expire?  By waiting I think all you are doing is holding onto your money for a few years.

Can anyone else verify or correct me?

Edit:  Maybe you are correct if you do it within the first year.  That is what I infer from the FAQ on the GMPP web page.  Now I am confused.

When does a GM Protection Plan begin?
The term and mileage of coverage is calculated from the date of contract purchase and the current odometer mileage on the vehicle. There are two forms of pricing available: New and Used. "New" consists of any vehicle that has been in service up to 12 months AND up to 12,000 miles on the odometer. "Used" is any vehicle that has been in service for more than 12 months OR more than 12,000 miles on the odometer.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 12:12:16 PM by zman » Logged

netmag

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 01:10:23 PM »

If it's still considered new with < 12months or < 12000 miles and you can get it for the same price, then I guess it would be smartest to wait a bit and then buy it before it was considered used.
zman
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 01:29:05 PM »

If it's still considered new with < 12months or < 12000 miles and you can get it for the same price, then I guess it would be smartest to wait a bit and then buy it before it was considered used.

Correct, except it needs to be < 12 months AND < 12000 miles.  You would need to sign up before you hit either one of those.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories