Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
April 27, 2017, 05:01:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Search all 4 Lambda Forums at once with the "Super Search" box! Click search in the top nav bar to find it.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repairing a power folding mirror (with pics)  (Read 27596 times, 30 Replies)
sklunk

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 02:42:59 PM »

sklunk,  This is the one that I got:  I think it is the correct one...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371446815389?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Before you take your door panel apart look at the mirror you bought.  Once you pop the glass off you can see if there is a motor mounted back in the corner (not the "hockey-puck" motor the glass mounts to -- you are looking for a cylindrical motor right near the folding point).  If you don't see anything in the little hole there then it is not power-fold.  I don't think the number of harnesses matter, I think that has to do with heat and auto-dim vs. not having those features.

2009 CXL, White Diamond Tricoat, Cashmere, with absolutely everything except AWD, "re"-contented with some 2008 features ...
(traded November 2015 for a new Silverado but still love Enclaves and this forum!)
cfedor
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 02:50:12 PM »

Before you take your door panel apart look at the mirror you bought.  Once you pop the glass off you can see if there is a motor mounted back in the corner (not the "hockey-puck" motor the glass mounts to -- you are looking for a cylindrical motor right near the folding point).  If you don't see anything in the little hole there then it is not power-fold.  I don't think the number of harnesses matter, I think that has to do with heat and auto-dim vs. not having those features.
Number of connectors doesn't mean much, you are right sklunk.  Because the mirror housing has tilt, power fold, heat and power folding capabilities.  All those wires connections could be ran thru those 2 pigtails.  I know what you are referring to on the inside to the left at the pivot point, how the housing is molded to recieve the power folding motor. I will take a look at it once I have it next week.  Will keep you all posted and informed of my luck....

HIS: 2008 Enclave CXL AWD Red Jewel/Titanium Leather, Premium package 19" Chrome 7-spoke, AM/FM/CD/DVD/NAV 10 speaker Bose, LED upgrades inside and out.  124K Miles

HERS: 2009 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD Black/Tan Loaded. 93K Miles
Bayner66

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 03:47:51 PM »

How hard is it to remove the inner door skin?

There is a YouTube video on removing the door panel on a Traverse you may want to look up and view.

Bayner66
writing from the Lone Star State
2014 Acadia SLT2 FWD summit white, tow pkg
cfedor
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 10:09:40 PM »

There is a YouTube video on removing the door panel on a Traverse you may want to look up and view.
Thanks, Bayner!

HIS: 2008 Enclave CXL AWD Red Jewel/Titanium Leather, Premium package 19" Chrome 7-spoke, AM/FM/CD/DVD/NAV 10 speaker Bose, LED upgrades inside and out.  124K Miles

cfedor
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2016, 09:00:11 PM »

It does seem to me that the passenger folding option is what is commonly failing. I got a used OEM from ebay for 76.00. It's red jewel. But, I think I am going to gut it, piece it and part it out. The black mounting plate to the door frame has a chip on the top corner, but that isn't the piece that I am "really" interested in. I can swap out parts and take the best parts from both to make a GREAT useable one. Depending on the condition/color match of the ebay one, I may just have to swap the black mounting plate. I hope it is delivered tomorrow....

cfedor
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2016, 08:29:23 PM »

THANK YOU!!!MDCole9761 !!
This threads pictures are worth a million thanks!! I took my own pics, but see no need to post them here. I ended up gutting the ebay purchased housing, taking out the motor assembly, and working on mine on the door. Works like a charm!
So now I have this ebay housing that has a power folding motor that doesn't work, and thinking about turning it around on ebay myself for $15.00 +shipping. I still have the housing all put back together with the turn signal(it has a chip out of the plastic that the screw holds it in the housing- was there when I took it apart and saw it), power tilt motor, and heated mirror and wire harness. Maybe someone can use those parts.

MDCole9761

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2016, 09:48:59 PM »

THANK YOU!!!MDCole9761 !!
This threads pictures are worth a million thanks!! I took my own pics, but see no need to post them here. I ended up gutting the ebay purchased housing, taking out the motor assembly, and working on mine on the door. Works like a charm!
So now I have this ebay housing that has a power folding motor that doesn't work, and thinking about turning it around on ebay myself for $15.00 +shipping. I still have the housing all put back together with the turn signal(it has a chip out of the plastic that the screw holds it in the housing- was there when I took it apart and saw it), power tilt motor, and heated mirror and wire harness. Maybe someone can use those parts.

Awesome!  Glad it worked out for you too- I love my folding mirrors (I don't use them too often, but when I do I love them).  When I first starting looking into replacement mirrors, I thought for sure there was no way around buying a $150 mirror and then having to pay to get it painted.  But for less than $50 it's fixed and I have spare parts!

2009 Buick Enclave CXL AWD Black with Heated/Cooled ebony leather, 2/2/3 seating, Trailering Provision Package, Entertainment Package #2, Luxury Package, Driver Confidence Package, Hit The Road Accessory Package (added afterward), Dual View Sunroof, 19'' OEM Chrome Wheels
a2t

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2017, 08:54:11 AM »

Hey guys thanks for this great topic !

I found this all metal replacement gear and a new motor for these power folding units for the GM trucks.  They will also fit the Enclave.

if you look up gruvenparts dot com and go to their GM trucks section you will see the 2nd item from the top is the brass folding mirror gears.  They also sell the power door lock motors, and the power folding mirror motors.

There is also a complete DIY on the page.  Its for a Tahoe, but once you get the motor drive unit out, the procedure would be the same for Enclave.  This really fixes and design flaw in the GM power folding mirrors and helped me alot.

a2t

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 10:21:50 AM »

Has anyone gotten GM to cover this outside of warranty ?
JerseyDevil
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2017, 10:40:16 AM »

Has anyone gotten GM to cover this outside of warranty ?

Why would they?

2010 CXL Silver Green No Sun Roof, No NAV
a2t

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2017, 05:49:05 PM »

Why would they?

because their design is clearly SHIT

?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories