Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
April 24, 2014, 10:24:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Enclave? Check out the all new Cadillac SRX at http://www.SRXForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whining noise during idling  (Read 5447 times, 23 Replies)
Henry K

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2008, 06:57:23 PM »

I have had my 2008 Enclave for about 1.5 months now.  About 2-3weeks ago I started to hear a very noticeable whining/humming noise coming out the driver side when the car is in idle or at a stop light.  I turned off the AC/fans, the noise is still there.  I am pretty sure this noise is not the engine sound either.  And one can only hear such noise from inside of the car but not outside.  Brought it in to the GM Service dept today, the tech can also hear the noise but not sure what it is.  We tried another new Enclave on the lot, and the noise is not heard in that one.  Planning to bring it back to the Service dept next week for them to have a deeper look.  Has anyone experienced the same problem?  This car is supposed to be very quiet, and this noise is getting very annoying! Angry

2008 Enclave.  CXL AWD.  Confidence and Luxury Packages.  Entertainment Package #3.
chumster
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 10:49:16 PM »

I think my E has the same problem. The noise has gotten worse over the 8 mo period.
I dropped the car off two weeks ago for camshaft service and also mentioned the noise. The Service Adviser heard it during a ride.

Got the car back today, drove it for a short time. They replaced the power steering pump. The noise has significantly subsided but is still present. Iam very interested to know id there is another solution...

2010 CXL-1 FWD, towing, sunroofs - a different fruit - also gone Smiley

2008 CXL FWD, towing, confidence, sunroofs - LEMON - gone Smiley
JustDriftin

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 01:13:32 PM »

Had the same problem about 15 years ago on one of my cars.  Removed the teen-ager haven't had the problem since.

08 CX fwd   Dark Crimson  Driver confidence package, Trailer Towing.  
06 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Classic, Big bore kit.
05 Tahoe
rockyp
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 01:47:41 PM »

Happy Happy Happy

2008 Cocoa CXL AWD, Nav, Rear Ent - Owned 72 months, 135,900 miles. Traded 9 days short of 6 years of ownership for new Subaru Outback.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Henry K

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 09:11:07 PM »

Had the same problem about 15 years ago on one of my cars.  Removed the teen-ager haven't had the problem since.

Very funny JustDriftin...I like your humor wink At least you were able to find out what the "problem" was and remove it.  I hope I can find out as easily where does the "whining" noise in my car come from  Huh?

2008 Enclave.  CXL AWD.  Confidence and Luxury Packages.  Entertainment Package #3.
Smokin SRX
Enclave Freak

'08 CXL, AWD, All Opts except DVD, eng htr.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 12:27:59 PM »

Have you turned Off the radio?  Not just lowered it?  Radio "whine" is very common on all brands.

Does it increase/decrease if in Neutral, and you rev the engine?
Henry K

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 03:18:45 PM »

Have you turned Off the radio?  Not just lowered it?  Radio "whine" is very common on all brands.

Does it increase/decrease if in Neutral, and you rev the engine?

I turned the radio off and the noise is still there.

After doing some research on this forum, I suspect it might be the power steering pump or low power steering fluid, but I could be wrong.

I will try your suggestions and see if the noise increase/decrease in Neutral or when the enginer is reved.  What are you suspecting?

Thanks

Smokin SRX
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 09:56:54 PM »

I was thinking other than engine equipment (fans, radio, exhaust, etc).   You've eliminated most.  If  noise rises and drops with the eng rpm, in Neutral/Park, probably an engine internal or belt driven accessory noise.  Power steering usually reveals itself,  cause noise changes while idling and just turning the steering wheel. (slight pressure noise, not an obvious  "whine", is of course normal.

Good luck &  keep us posted.........
Henry K

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 10:47:05 PM »

I have had my 2008 Enclave for about 1.5 months now.  About 2-3weeks ago I started to hear a very noticeable whining/humming noise coming out the driver side when the car is in idle or at a stop light.  I turned off the AC/fans, the noise is still there.  I am pretty sure this noise is not the engine sound either.  And one can only hear such noise from inside of the car but not outside.  Brought it in to the GM Service dept today, the tech can also hear the noise but not sure what it is.  We tried another new Enclave on the lot, and the noise is not heard in that one.  Planning to bring it back to the Service dept next week for them to have a deeper look.  Has anyone experienced the same problem?  This car is supposed to be very quiet, and this noise is getting very annoying! Angry

Got my car back from the shop today.  The service manager told me they think it's the fuel pump making the noise, and the noise is actually generated from the back of car (where the fuel pump is located) and travels to the front.  They have ordered a new fuel pump to replace the "bad" one in my car.

Bad fuel pump? Really? That's unheard of, especially for an Enclave that only has ~1000 miles?  Well, the new pump will be here next week and will update you guys how it goes.

PARKAVE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 12:11:25 AM »

My 2001 Park Ave had a whining noise that was the fuel pump. It actually was noisier when the tank was low on fuel. The fuel pump is in the tank.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 12:13:33 AM by PARKAVE » Logged

2009 CXL FWD
silicron

'08 CX AWD purchased in 11-07.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 02:52:54 PM »

I have the same sound as well in my '08 CX AWD. I don't hear it all the time, but I would say about 50% of the time. I assume that it is completely normal. I visually inspect my engine compartment every month or so and everything looks A-OK in there. I don't have any other sounds...just the occasional whining. I assume it is the engine fan or the compressor.
Smokin SRX
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 03:03:58 PM »

Most modern cars have the electric fuel pump inside the gas tank! (yup!) The proximity yields good/siphon & pressure.  Plus the gas actually cools it substantially, and it is not recco'd by most mechanics to allow the tank to consistently go below a quarter tank. No noise should be discernible w/o almost putting your ear to the tank!  Get it fixed.........
chumster
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 03:21:42 PM »

My E makes the whining noise only when the car is standing at a stop light or in Park/Neutral. Not horrible, but it was not there in the beginning...

It used to be much louder and much more noticeable during driving at low speeds but the new power steering pump cured that problem.

Smokin SRX
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 04:45:37 PM »

My E makes the whining noise only when the car is standing at a stop light or in Park/Neutral. Not horrible, but it was not there in the beginning...

It used to be much louder and much more noticeable during driving at low speeds but the new power steering pump cured that problem.

Does it increase/decrease w/eng RPM?  Alternator?

When you turn the wheel?  A power steering pump/rack like ours will react to turns, if defective. But at a red lite, idling?  I don't get it, but it ain't right.   Dealer again. Sorry.
chumster
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 05:11:37 PM »

RPMs do not affect the noise. Turning the wheel is also not a factor.

Maybe it is a normal noise?

Smokin SRX
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 11:41:25 AM »

RPMs do not affect the noise. Turning the wheel is also not a factor.

Maybe it is a normal noise?

Not to me.  When I'm at a light the only noise I hear is the jaws dropping of Lexus/Acura owners passing by.......   thumbs up  This baby is quiet!

Based on your observations, electric fuel pump or other mechanism is a good bet. It's always working with eng running.  Does a full tank of gas VS. 1/4 tank make a diff?  If so........fuel pump!
Dealer. Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 12:38:25 PM by Smokin SRX » Logged
chumster
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 12:02:09 PM »

Definitely a trip to the dealer is in cards as the CEL came on again. And this is after my E was in the shop for two weeks (for the fourth time).

I think the whining noise is going to be the least of the problems...

Smokin SRX
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 12:40:58 PM »

Definitely a trip to the dealer is in cards as the CEL came on again. And this is after my E was in the shop for two weeks (for the fourth time).

I think the whining noise is going to be the least of the problems...

Sounds like you're being more than patient.  If they can't fix it soon..................

Lemons do happen wink

Get the '09!!  You'll see what so many of us enjoy in our rides
chumster
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 01:05:22 PM »

Yes, I have been very patient. My wife, on the other hand, is not anymore wink

I am giving this new dealer one more chance to get it right and then, depending on GM's attitude, it is either a 2009 E or I'll give my money to another car company.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 01:39:06 PM by chumster » Logged

Henry K

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 12:43:09 AM »

Sounds like you're being more than patient.  If they can't fix it soon..................

Lemons do happen wink

Get the '09!!  You'll see what so many of us enjoy in our rides

Is there much difference between '08 and '09? In what ways? (maybe you can refer me to some posts)

Not sure if I am getting used to the noise or the noise is really changing...In the past two days the whining noise seemed to be reduced a bit, and the fuel level is at a lower level (<7 gallons left) than in the past week.  If it is indeed the fuel pump making the noise, wouldn't one expect the noise to be louder at a lower fuel level?

Anyway, still waiting for the new fuel pump to come in and get it replaced.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories