Enclaveforum.net Bookmark and Share
May 25, 2017, 06:02:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little blue 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USB music organization and playback  (Read 4063 times, 6 Replies)
statsman

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2016, 03:41:27 PM »

We own a 2015 Enclave, and just recently we started to copy some of our music to a USB thumb drive to play on the Enclave's system.  My questions revolve around organizing the music on the USB drive.  Note that neither of us have ever owned a portable music device (iPod, etc.), nor have we used software like iTunes.  We're pretty much old school, playing CDs on our home system (wife has a multi-CD changer in her vehicle).

Anyway, it appears by default the Enclave lists the songs in alphabetical filename order (not the name internal to the MP3/WMAL file) for each folder we have on the USB drive.  How does one go about listing the songs in the order they appear on the album, assuming each folder holds one album's worth of songs?  I suppose a leading number on the filename would accomplish this, which I've seen from some CD ripping software in the past.  It appears the Enclave's system ignores the "#" field internal to the MP3/WMAL files.  Or are playlists a better way to go?

On a related note, I noticed the display on the Enclave's audio system for the USB drive songs lists the song title, artist, and album title (from top to bottom) on the Infotainment screen.  Unfortunately, the song title is in larger characters, the field used for the AM/FM station number or the XM channel name for those sources.  Even a slightly long USB song title gets easily truncated.  Is there a way to have the song title be smaller characters, or is this field fixed?  With the AM/FM/XM channels, you lose the album title, but the artist and song titles are on the 2nd & 3rd lines and in smaller characters, resulting in far fewer truncations.
mifronte

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 05:43:18 PM »

I don't know if the 2015 has the Bluetooth audio sync capability (my 2011 does not), but if it does, I would recommend using you smartphone to play your music through the Enclave's system.  The USB support in the Enclave is very basic.  I do use it since my 2011 does not support Bluetooth audio sync and I do have to name my files starting with a number.

2011 Enclave AWD CXL-2, Carbon Black/Titanium, Towing, 20" Chrome Wheels, Sportwing Body Side Molding (removed summer 2014), 3M 18" Clear-bra Paint Film, 3M Color Stable 35 Window Tint (front side windows)
statsman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 06:16:30 PM »

Yeah, I thought about the Bluetooth connection, but I plan to put lossless WMAs on the USB thumb drive.  Likely overkill for the Enclave, but it also means I only need to rip the CDs once for songs we want for other uses.  We can always go back to the lossless WMAs and generate MP3 from those for those devices better suited to the MP3.

I have been playing around with Playlist Creator 3.6.2, and I think this is the way to go for us.  I just created a test playlist and folder structure for a couple of albums to try.  It works just fine, and I think the playlist idea is better suited to my wife's interest in music (she sometimes likes a compilation of various artists).

I still wish the song title for USB files (MP3/WMA, AAC?) were either in smaller characters, would scroll across the screen, or would wrap to a 2nd row of characters when necessary.
Milton B

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 12:34:08 AM »

Not sure if this is what you are after. I have a 2014 and I can select how the songs are played by using the menu button. With you usb stick inserted, press the menu button you you should see a list like folders, artists, songs and genre ...i think you already mentioned this.......then select a folder for instance or select songs to play all songs...I can't tell you the sort order for sure but I think alpha/numeric by default. I have noticed with mine it don't always go back to my last menu section when I turn the radio on and back on later.

2014-Cyber Grey Metallic-Leather-Ebony Interior
statsman

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 03:05:34 AM »

I think we're going to be primarily using playlists, maybe one playlist per artist.  As I indicated previously, we've been using CDs at home and in our vehicles.  Our 2015 Enclave is the first vehicle we've owned that is capable of playing MP3 and WMA files (and I believe AAC files).

This is our first attempt at organizing non-CD music, and it's a pain.  It's amazing the number of artists with "The" as the first word of their artist name.  Doing a search for artist in the "Artist" menu becomes an annoyance since the Enclave sorts strictly in alphanumeric order from the file tags.  I'll probably shorten the playlist filenames, leave the song file tags alone, and generally skip using the "Artist" menu.

A similar annoyance I can see is searching for a specific album by an artist, especially when the artist has many albums.  Again, these are displayed in alphanumeric order from the album name in the file tags.  I don't know about others, but we prefer keeping our collection in album release date order by artist.  This gets a bit trickier with the remastered albums, but we usually stick with the original album release date.

Sorry, I've gone off tangent here.
statsman

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 06:28:50 PM »

I got the playlists to work just fine.  I did a test of WMA lossless files because I had those available to copy to the USB thumb drive.  Seems the 2015 Enclave has no issue with the playlists I created.

In addition, the WMA lossless files sound great, but I wonder if this is overkill for the vehicle.  I can probably reduce the file sizes by 1/3 to 1/2 if I go with 320 kbps MP3 files.  I hate compressed music, which is why I hesitate (love the variety of XM radio; hate the digital compression on some stations and/or songs).  Been listening to a quality home audio system for too long (although not high end).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 07:24:46 PM by statsman » Logged
statsman

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 03:01:01 AM »

Side question related to WMA files.  Does anyone know what the sampling rate limit is for WMA files in a 2015 Enclave, specifically for WMA Lossless?  The manual lists a 48 kHz limit for MP3 files, but there isn't one specified for WMA files.

Standard WMA files are also limited to 48 kHz, but WMA Pro and WMA Lossless can be sampled up to 24-bit/96 kHz.  My prior tests were with 16-bit/44.1 kHz WMA Lossless files (converted directly from CD Wav files), which worked just fine.

Also, has anyone tried playing AAC files via the USB connection?  I've seen the AAC format listed in generic GM infotainment documents, but the one for the 2015 Enclave doesn't mention it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories