Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
April 27, 2017, 05:05:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little blue 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First time towing with our Enclave  (Read 5202 times, 6 Replies)
JayS

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2016, 09:21:18 AM »

We traded our Mazda CX-9 for our 2013 Enclave with the tow package after upgrading from an 18' bowrider that hit the scales at 3000lbs to a 21' bow rider that hit the scales at 4350lbs. Yesterday was the first time hitching up and taking the boat to the river and probably the last time for year. Hauling the boat up the ramp was a non-issue and it didn't feel like the AWD even needed to engage, likely helped by so little traffic at the launch this late in the season resulting in a dry launch ramp. Very happy with how the Enclave handled the load out on the road. The tow/haul mode holds gears well and while merging onto the highway I was pleased with how quickly it went from 30 to 65. I wish there was an overdrive lockout though because with the cruise set at 65 on level ground the trans was grabbing it's top gear and then needing to shift down at even the slightest incline. That kind of gear hunting isn't good for a trans. Easy enough to fix by shifting to "L" and using the manual gear selection buttons but a simple button to disable the top gear would have been better. Stability and braking were fine but with a tandem axle trailer with surge brakes I didn't expect much stress on the Enclave for either of those. The hitch on our old CX-9 was an aftermarket Reese that stuck down below the rear bumper so I did have to switch my receiver out from a 3" raise to a 2" drop to get the trailer level since the Enclave hitch is much higher being behind the bumper. Being a bit of a hoarder when I comes to car stuff I happened to have a 2" drop receiver with a 2" ball sitting in my garage though.

The whole rig looks good too. Smiley

rbarrios
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 11:09:29 AM »

glad to hear of a good report!

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    55,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-  123,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-180,000
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 05:55:37 PM »

It seems that the Enclave has already proven that your Mazda CX9 was a good idea. thumbs up

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
A York

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 10:26:19 AM »

I have a 2010 Enclave - trying to get a brake controller to work. Did you install your own or have it done?

Also, I assumed the Tow mode would lock out overdrive. I towed my trailer empty (not using brakes) and it seemed to avoid overdrive. Worked well, just wish I could get the controller working so I can tow what I bought the trailer for!
JayS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 01:40:34 PM »

No brake controller in my case because it's a surge brake trailer. Mine was definitely shifting into 6th even with tow haul mode enabled. I'm going to give it another shot in a couple months when the boat comes out of storage though because from what I've read as long as I stay 65 or under tow/haul should be locking out 6th gear.

ICU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 04:00:40 PM »

I have a 2010 Enclave - trying to get a brake controller to work. Did you install your own or have it done?

Also, I assumed the Tow mode would lock out overdrive. I towed my trailer empty (not using brakes) and it seemed to avoid overdrive. Worked well, just wish I could get the controller working so I can tow what I bought the trailer for!

What do you mean when saying "trying to get a brake controller to work"?

I installed my own and it was easy.  I did buy a plug and play cable but could of used the one that came with the vehicle.
Which brake controller do you have?

No brake controller in my case because it's a surge brake trailer. Mine was definitely shifting into 6th even with tow haul mode enabled. I'm going to give it another shot in a couple months when the boat comes out of storage though because from what I've read as long as I stay 65 or under tow/haul should be locking out 6th gear.

It is rare that the vehicle will shift into 6th when driving below 65 - but since I drive a 55mph 98% of the time I can say that it is POSSIBLE for it to
go to 6th gear with the tow/haul switch on.  Again rare but it can happen.  So your statement is basically correct - at a lower speed, it is in 5th most of the time,
with the tow switch on.
For that reason I tow 90% of the time with the tow switch OFF - that way on flat and level most of the time
it will go into 6th gear when I tow at 55mph.  Just so you know.

2010 AWD Acadia SLT2
A York

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 09:18:39 AM »

What do you mean when saying "trying to get a brake controller to work"?

I was posting in this thread: enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=31889.0  I have a 2010 Enclave with the tow package. It took me "forever" to figure out that the white wire in the tow harness was not putting out a 12V signal when the brakes were pressed. I do not know why and posted an image of the wiring diagram (in other thread), and it looks like that wire should have been giving 12V when the brake pedal is pushed. Anyway, I tapped into the left, rear brake light and ran the wire up to the controller and it works fine.

My controller is a Hopkins time-based controller. This is my first experience towing so I am learning as I go. I bought the trailer used and went through and inspected/serviced the electric brakes. They look very good as far as wear goes. A little rust, but that is to be expected. I have done one "test tow" of my Featherlite aluminum trailer with a car on it. The total load is 4100 lb. I only went around town, but it seemed to handle fine. Brakes work well (I tested those first without the trailer loaded).

I did a bunch of tongue weight measurements this past weekend trying to figure out how far towards the front I need to pull the car. I am trying to get just over 400 lb (about 10%) of the total weight. Turns out a slight slope of the trailer makes quite a large difference on tongue weight due to the dual axles. Attached a photo of my set-up. From that view, I will be moving the car forward about six inches.

I started a spreadsheet to do all the weight calculations, but what I do not know is how much actual weight I have on the rear axle. Any ideas on getting that number?

It appears my 4100 lb load is on the very edge of the maximum...

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 09:23:49 AM by A York » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories