Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
February 22, 2017, 10:09:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: See that little gray camera icon in a member's post? Click it to go directly to their Photo Gallery

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need expert advice on if this dash unit would fit in my enclave 2008 plus bckcam  (Read 867 times, 7 Replies)
aunnyboy

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2017, 04:31:42 AM »

I recently purchased a used enclave 2008 and fairly satisfied with my purchase. I like the car. The back-up camera is faulty and doesn't work. I am looking to replace the default navigation system as well. I have purchased a 3rd backup camera from amazon and looking to replace the dash navigation system with a Eincar 7 inch sliding car unit. This is the one I am looking to install in my car:

I don't think there should be a problem as the size looks the same as my navigation mount. I am not very experienced and before I make the purchase on amazon, it would be awesome if someone could help me out. Also if anyone knows if there would be any problems putting in this sort of a unit and removing the default unit. Is this some thing I could do myself with a youtube guide, or would I be better off finding someone on kijiji to do it for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
aunnyboy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 04:33:09 AM »

Also, would I require any further thing to order online in order to install this if I were to do this myself, if anyone knows?
rexster

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 12:29:56 PM »

I would:

Insure the unit is capable of steering wheel control link. I know it says that but a little more research is needed
Insure the map data is upgradeable
Insure that the OS is also upgradeable. It's on Android 5.1 and current version is 7.
Myself, I would walk away and try to get a name brand in auto sound/navigation.
Look at Crutchfield.com for alternatives. Find the one you want then buy it off Amazon or eBay, you'll find it much cheaper there

Rex
09 Red Jewel CXL Enclave Traded for KR Ford Expedition May 27, 2012
My other car is 2006 Cadillac XLR
sklunk

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 12:54:33 PM »

This will probably take a LOT of custom wiring to make it work.  Just because it is the same size as the unit in your Enclave doesn't mean it is "plug-and-play".

You are better off trying to find an Advent OGM-1.  It is no longer made but is definitely plug-and-play.  The best place to get one used to be adcmobile (ask for Walt):
http://www.adcmobile.com/ogm1/

Another unit that others have bought that is p-n-p is the "CarShow" made by Rosen.  There have been mixed reviews on it:
http://www.carshowelectronics.com/oe-look-navi-systems-xl-gm-series.html
(also available from ADC Mobile here):  http://www.adcmobile.com/cs-gm1210-ca/

Another great place would be Crutchfield.  They can sell you a unit that may not be p-n-p but they usually include any adapter harnesses you need.  Their Tech Support is also great!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 12:57:31 PM by sklunk » Logged

2009 CXL, White Diamond Tricoat, Cashmere, with absolutely everything except AWD, "re"-contented with some 2008 features ...
(traded November 2015 for a new Silverado but still love Enclaves and this forum!)
rexster

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 01:08:14 PM »

OGM1 shows to be discontinued on that website.
Rosen has a sort of hit or miss record on enclave forum. Later users had lots of complaints at first about having to keep a paper clip handy to reset the head unit quite often.

As I said before, do your shopping on Crutchfield then buy locally on online. I was able to buy a Kenwood 893s head unit that is one of KW's top of the line unit that lists for about 1200$ at a local stereo shop for about $850.

Be sure of the actual warranty. Most of these cheap head units go out of business within a few years then you're stuck if you need warranty work. (if you're concerned about stuff like that)

Rex
aunnyboy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 05:02:12 PM »

Cool, thanks for all the advice! I think I will continue to keep looking, and I think it might be something I might be better off getting professional installion help when I do find a unit.
dzs3fz

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 05:15:41 PM »

Cool, thanks for all the advice! I think I will continue to keep looking, and I think it might be something I might be better off getting professional installion help when I do find a unit.
Would this work?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer-avic-6-2-built-in-gps-cd-dvd-satellite-radio-ready-in-dash-deck-black/4901313.p?skuId=4901313

08 cxl-awd  7 seat WDT, titanium interior, nav, bose radio, sunroof, towing pkg, 19" chrome wheels
rexster

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 06:27:13 PM »

The AVIC units seem to get very good to excellent reviews. You can't go wrong with them. Try to look for one with one with a larger display like a 6.95" and Android Auto or ApplePlay. You'll thank yourself later.

Rex
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories