Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
March 23, 2017, 08:24:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: See that little gray camera icon in a member's post? Click it to go directly to their Photo Gallery

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: crazy thought  (Read 1405 times, 9 Replies)
dporter

Old and New

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2017, 11:10:01 PM »

My wife has become partially disabled since we bought our 14E premium in 2014 and she has difficulty getting into the car even with the factory running boards. My crazy thought was to have air bags installed so I could lower the car for an easier entry. I have also thought about smaller wheels and tires but I don't want to jeopardize safety or handling. I have priced universal bags, looks like around $1200 for bags and controls for a simple installation but I am sceptical about the application. I wonder if there is an application for the Lambda vehicles.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave Crazy

Dave,
2014 Enclave Premium, Assist steps, White Diamond Tricoat, Nav, Purchased new in July 2014
1939 Century
1986 Rivi
JayS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 07:48:33 AM »

Any air ride kit you find online is going to be built around the idea of increasing the load capacity when the stock springs sag under too much weight not lowering the vehile with no load. You'll need a system that replaces the stock springs with just air springs to allow the car to drop down below stock height. The kits marketed to Lambda owners are meant to install in addition to your springs to supplement the springs under heavy loads. Your best option would be to talk to a shop that customizes cars, specifically one with experience doing air ride suspension drops.

In the end it's probably a lot better idea to trade the Enclave for something that works better for your wife in it's factory form.
ICU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 02:38:27 PM »

I agree with JayS.

I have air bags on my Acadia and with NO air in them the vehicle is at standard height.

When I do add air they may raise the vehicle slightly but the main use is for when I attach my
trailer which can have a tongue weight of 500lbs, then the vehicle height can't be pushed down in the rear
as easily and therefore keeps the vehicle closer to level than if no air bags were used.

Also I have never seen air bags put on the front of a vehicle.

Air suspension is different but it would take a lot of work to LOWER the vehicle like the Low-riders do
on their tricked out vehicles you see on TV.

If it's only you and your wife and you don't have a major reason (like towing or cargo space needed) to keep your Enclave
I might start looking for something different that makes it easier for her to get into and out of.  JMO.

2010 AWD Acadia SLT2
whipster

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 10:13:47 AM »

My wife has become partially disabled since we bought our 14E premium in 2014 and she has difficulty getting into the car even with the factory running boards. My crazy thought was to have air bags installed so I could lower the car for an easier entry. I have also thought about smaller wheels and tires but I don't want to jeopardize safety or handling. I have priced universal bags, looks like around $1200 for bags and controls for a simple installation but I am skeptical about the application. I wonder if there is an application for the Lambda vehicles.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave Crazy

I can't find an actual air ride system. Maybe there's a custom shop that will install aftermarket parts.

I did find a thread here that someone installed a lowering spring kit and lowered it about 1.5 inches. You can try a google search for enclave lowering kit.

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=3350.0

2012 Traverse LT2
rbarrios
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 04:24:25 PM »

I didnt see a mention of details on whats causing the difficulty getting in/out.

But I thought about that commercial, where theyre selling that tool that attaches to the doors latch- and its essentially a handle so you can get in/out easier..

Car cane. (flashlight, car window smasher, seat belt cutter, cane)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BerjmgPcXbQ

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    55,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-  123,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-180,000
skooter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 01:05:51 AM »

The Premium loaded Enclave is so darn high for a non off road car!! That's why I loved my Ford Flex, just turn aim your butt and your in the seat. Also rode just as nice as my current Enclave and had more seating room for passengers. The seats felt better and the Nav worked easier. Wife never liked the look but I loved to drive that car.
rbarrios
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 11:35:26 AM »

The Premium loaded Enclave is so darn high for a non off road car!! That's why I loved my Ford Flex, just turn aim your butt and your in the seat. Also rode just as nice as my current Enclave and had more seating room for passengers. The seats felt better and the Nav worked easier. Wife never liked the look but I loved to drive that car.

I know not everyone will go 'off road'
but we have.

one reason I REALLY like the Traverse.
It has clearance.
multiple occasions-  with 7 on board and full of cargo on the hitch rack and stuff on roof--- we did not bottom out.... even with very rocky dirt roads.

vic1212
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 06:29:48 PM »

People actually think the enclave is tall? I honestly never get the point of why people have to get the side steps for the enclave but then again I'm over 6 feet tall. The only time I would get steps is if I'm drying up the car though
rbarrios
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 10:12:55 AM »

I know its 'tall' for grandma...
But- thats age related.

Fcar53

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 07:47:46 AM »

For me i have no problem get in and out of the Buick. For my 90 year old mother it is a different story. I had an 09 Traverse LTZ with 20 inch wheels and now the Buick Enclave Premium with 20 inch wheels. She needs a step stool to get in the back seat. she is just too short. So there are times when it is harder for some than others to get in these cars.

1998 torch red corvette                                                                                      2011 silver ice equinox LTZ                                                                                 2015 white diamond enclave premium
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories