Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
April 27, 2017, 05:04:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: See that little gray camera icon in a member's post? Click it to go directly to their Photo Gallery

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Having Power Folding Mirror Issues ??  (Read 938 times, 6 Replies)
a2t

Ignore
« on: February 12, 2017, 08:57:32 AM »

Just an FYI, ive determined the Enclave uses the same exact power folding mirror mechanism as the Tahoe, which is to say its total garbage.  So I found this all metal replacement gear and a new motor for these power folding units for the GM trucks.  They will fit the Enclave.

if you look up gruvenparts dot com and go to their GM trucks section you will see the 2nd item from the top is the brass folding mirror gears.  They also sell the power door lock motors, and the power folding mirror motors.

There is also a complete DIY on the page.  Its for a Tahoe, but once you get the motor drive unit out, the procedure would be the same for Enclave.  This really fixes the design flaw in the GM power folding mirrors and helped me alot.  The plastic spur gear in the unit always breaks and you are stuck buying a $600 replacement from GM, which will also break.
a2t

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 10:19:31 AM »

I also wonder if anyone has had success working with GM on this.  Perhaps they would cover these design flaws even outside of warranty ?
GerryL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 10:55:59 AM »

I also wonder if anyone has had success working with GM on this.  Perhaps they would cover these design flaws even outside of warranty ?

It is not likely they will do much because the repair to them is to replace the entire mirror.  That is quite expensive because new ones come unpainted and have to go to the paint shop.  I had both of mine done under warranty and even then they grumbled about all that was involved.

2007 Acadia SLT2 - Gold Mist / Brick
a2t

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 05:46:32 PM »

yeah thats a good point, its a lot of work.  GM should make better folding mirrors !!
a2t

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 08:05:03 AM »

has anyone tried this repair ?
a2t

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 12:21:47 PM »

well, i thought i would update all here.  I bit the bullet and bought 2 of the brass folding mirror gears and new motors w/gears from GruvenParts

installed a few weeks ago and have been using the hell out of my folding mirrors (2x per day every day, sometimes more).  Works like a charm.

Its a good fix, no point in buying whole new mirror.  its just that stupid plastic little gear thats all the problem.

silvervettes

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 01:59:08 PM »

well, i thought i would update all here.  I bit the bullet and bought 2 of the brass folding mirror gears and new motors w/gears from GruvenParts

installed a few weeks ago and have been using the hell out of my folding mirrors (2x per day every day, sometimes more).  Works like a charm.

Its a good fix, no point in buying whole new mirror.  its just that stupid plastic little gear thats all the problem.

I just ordered a rebuilt motor with brass gear already in it off ebay for $175, one year warranty. Looked at your option and didn't want to tackle the gear part and  possibly have no mirror. I will take the old one apart and see if I can do the gear swap easily enough after I change out the motor.  

Just to update I was done in about 1/2 hour swapping out drivers motor, works great, will take apart old motor when I get a chance and see how difficult it will be to replace stock gear with brass unit.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:02:26 PM by silvervettes » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories