Enclaveforum.net Bookmark and Share
April 28, 2017, 01:54:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: See that little gray camera icon in a member's post? Click it to go directly to their Photo Gallery

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: G.M. Does Not Stand By Their Enclave  (Read 1074 times, 18 Replies)
CBDEnclave

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2017, 01:25:26 PM »

We purchased, new, a 2010 Buick Enclave.  The car is out of warranty and has 155K miles on it.  The car is in excellent condition and we have previously not had any problems with it.  Last fall the car developed a very unusual problem:  While driving, the automatic door locks will go up and down followed by the car shifting into a much lower gear.  After a few seconds, the car shifts back to where it was.    This can be very dangerous when driving at higher speeds as the shifting to a lower gear causes the car to suddenly slow down dramatically (and the RPM’s to increase substantially).  The problem is intermittent and does not provide any diagnostic messages.

We took the car the dealership where the car was purchased.  The mechanic thought he knew what the problem was and replaced a part. This repair cost $700.  The car was returned to us and after two days the problem reappeared.  We returned the car back to the same dealer.  They were somewhat uncertain what to do next and contacted G.M. who provided the mechanics with things to check and potential solutions.  The mechanic did what G.M. suggested including checking grounds.  They test drove the car several times and the problem appeared to be fixed.  The car was returned to us and worked for a couple days.  After a couple of days, the problem reappeared again.  We returned the car back to the same dealer.  At this point I started to deal directly with the Service Manager.  He agreed that he would try a few more things and not charge me.  After a few weeks the Service Manager called and said they need their car back, so fill it up and get back by 6:00 pm that day, your car is fixed.  We picked up the car and in the 10 mile drive home the problem recurred 20+ times.  I immediately called the Service Manager who did not return my call.  I then contacted the President/Owner of the dealership and he agreed to look into the situation.  The Service Manager then called me back.  At my suggestion, we agreed that I would call the Buick Customer Service number provided in the owner’s manual.   The Service Manager also provided me with a secondary Customer Service number.

I called the Buick Customer Service number and explained the situation to the representative. He responded that I needed to take the car back to the dealership and have them try to fix it (and I need to pay for it).  I explained that they have had the car for three months and have not been able to fix the problem and that I have paid $700 for them not to fix it.  He replied that my only solution was to bring it back to a dealer and have them fix it (and I need to pay for it).  I asked to talk to his manager and he said there really was no need to because she had the same training as he had and the answer would be the same.  I asked to speak to her boss and he indicated that “that wasn’t going to happen”.  He finally agreed to having his boss call me back.  She never did.
My wife then called the number provided by the Service Manager and explained the problem to the Customer Service Representative (Rita) exactly how the Service Manager told her to.  Rita proceeded to talk to my wife as though she was an idiot.  Rita agreed to talk the Service Manager about the problem.  A day later, she called my wife and told her there was nothing G.M. could do and the case was closed.

To summarize, I now have a 2010 Buick Enclave in excellent condition and new tires with a $7,700 Blue Book Value that is too dangerous to drive, can’t be fixed by the manufacturer’s own service department and therefore basically has no value and G.M. intends on doing nothing about it.  I paid $700 for all of this.  I would very much like to understand G.M.’s (Buick’s) philosophy on standing by their product as well as their views on training Customer Service Reps.  Obviously this will be the last G.M. product my family will purchase.
JerseyDevil
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 05:35:36 PM »

You have a high mileage seven year old car and you expect the manufacturer to warrant it for what -your lifetime?

2010 CXL Silver Green No Sun Roof, No NAV
michigander

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 06:02:26 PM »

what part was replaced out of curiosity ? , as strange is this may sound did the dealer try a new replaced part again ?
electbc

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 06:05:10 PM »

Have you had any water leak problems such as  Sunroof, windshield or anywhere else which could have caused any corrosion inside electrical connections?  Strange that those two symptoms happen together. Yes which part was replaced?
JayS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 06:23:35 PM »

This is a dealership problem not a GM problem. It stinks the dealer has terrible customer service and from the sounds of it pretty crappy troubleshooting skills but the Buick rep is right in that your only real recourse is to work with the dealer or get the BBB or a lawyer involved.

Honestly, once the warranty is up you're so much better off finding a reputable private shop for repairs.

rbarrios
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 06:48:46 PM »

Not sure how GM failed you..

Vehicle was great for 155,000 miles.

55,000 miles past the 100K powertrain warranty.

and 35,000 miles past the other extended warranties of 120,000.

At this point it sounds like an electrical bug due to corrosion.

Theres a point where they cant do stuff for free.....
I think theyve been nice enough to you by doing some stuff for free.

They have not been able to find the problem--- may be time to take it to another dealer- and or a shop that specializes in electrical gremlins....

like this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_it46Laa7M

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    55,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-  123,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-180,000
picktoo

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 07:14:41 PM »

Yep! Out of warranty, so GM/Buick doesn't have a dog in this hunt. Inept dealer? Find yourself another one. I'm afraid you're just gonna have to suck this one up.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 07:23:47 PM by picktoo » Logged

Math is such a simple, linear science. Why do so many make it so difficult?

'14 Enclave / Leather Group
White Opal / Cocoa
Bose 10 / Nav
Moonroof
Hit-the-Road

Luvvit!!
CBDEnclave

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 07:33:55 PM »

I understand how warranties work. I am not looking for something free.   A car with 155K miles on it is very common today.  I would gladly pay for them to repair this car.  Yes, I believe that if a dealership can't fix their own product that the manufacturer should step in and try to assist. What ever happened to the adage that the best opportunity is an unhappy customer?
CBDEnclave

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 07:46:08 PM »

The part replaced was a transmission control module.
electbc

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 08:24:48 PM »

The part replaced was a transmission control module.
Did they explain what the transmission control module had to do with the door locks?
CBDEnclave

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 08:50:03 PM »

I don't remember their theory, but they thought the contacts on the module had corroded.
whipster

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 07:02:59 AM »

Did they explain what the transmission control module had to do with the door locks?

The door locks will work off the shift sensor in the transmission. It sends a signal to the body module that it's out of park and the bcm will lock the doors.

2012 Traverse LT2
electbc

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 09:03:02 AM »

Ah Ha. So it could be a connection problem somewhere or possibly a bad ground common to these components.
rbarrios
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 10:16:48 AM »

you guys notice--- how you unlock a door- while in drive..
and you begin to drive- then the doors lock...

could also be a speed/rpm thing

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    55,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-  123,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-180,000
electbc

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 12:24:25 PM »

He has 3 threads open on this topic. We are answering on 2 of them they should be merged and or delete one My suggestion is reprogram the unlock option so as not to auto unlock which may prove that it is coming from the transmission (possibly gear switch in park) or a bad connection/ground.
picktoo

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 06:34:59 PM »

He has 3 threads open on this topic. We are answering on 2 of them they should be merged and or delete one

What electbc said!!  clap

Math is such a simple, linear science. Why do so many make it so difficult?

'14 Enclave / Leather Group
White Opal / Cocoa
Bose 10 / Nav
Moonroof
Hit-the-Road

Luvvit!!
bubbanutz

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 10:02:22 PM »

Hard to find a loose connection on a car with so many wires and termination points. Buy a 67 Impala
  Bang Head
zman
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 10:22:25 PM »

Hard to find a loose connection on a car with so many wires and termination points. Buy a 67 Impala
  Bang Head

GM does not stand by those either.  Grin

2011 Enclave CXL-2 AWD Gray Green Metallic/Ebony, 20" Chrome Wheels, Sunroof, Trailering Package, Splash Guards, Engine Block Heater

2014 Audi A4 Prestige - Ice Silver Metallic
J Dandy

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 11:13:53 AM »

Prob a one in a million long shot, but maybe try changing your door lock setting on the DIC. 
It would be nice if it had a do not lock doors option but, it doesn't.
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories