Enclaveforum.net Bookmark and Share
May 29, 2017, 09:23:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: See that little gray camera icon in a member's post? Click it to go directly to their Photo Gallery

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Water pump failure denied  (Read 3004 times, 6 Replies)
chriscaldwell11

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2017, 11:13:25 PM »

Hello,
I purchased a 2008 Buick Enclave CXL in December.
At the time, it had 33000 miles on it, and is in beautiful condition.

After driving it for a month, the car went into limp mode one day while on the highway.
I pulled over and smoke was coming out of the engine. A tow truck was called and the car was towed to a licensed shop.
The diagnosis was a water pump failure. The mechanic replaced hoses, thermostat, and water pump, flushed the system, etc.
The total was 1400. A month later, the car began revving extremely high. It would not go into Low gear, and backing it out of the garage was a real chore as it just wouldn't go. I turned it off, waited a few minutes, and this time, it seemed to drive normally. The next day, the check engine light came on and the car would not shift, it stayed at 3000 RPM all the way to the Buick Dealer. I looked on the forum here and found TSBs indicating that the water pump failure had extended coverage, and then found information about wave plate failure and its extended coverage,  by searching for the symptoms I was experiencing.

The Buick dealer called me a few days later to tell me that the TCM needed replacement as did the Reverse Clutch 3-5. The total was 1200. The said they would cover the wave plate, but not the TCM parts. They had the car for a week.

So, I found these TSBs, made copies of my payment method receipts, and sent a letter to Buick.

Today, I got a letter back regarding the water pump failure. They will not cover it for the following reasons:

1. The period to submit the request for reimbursement has elapsed.
2. Repair was performed at an independent dealer after the issuance of the customer service action program.

I'm a bit bummed out here and confused. When the pump failed, I was about a mile from my regular mechanic. It was nighttime. Buick dealership was closed. But I thought I should take it to a shop that I trust so they could fix it right away. I didn't even know it was a covered item until after I paid and then found out about the TSB on this forum.

I thought the pump was covered for 120,000? Not sure what, if any, recourse I have. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have not received any response to my letter about the TCM/Wave Plate issue (yet), just the water pump.

Thank you,
Chris

JerseyDevil
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 11:30:46 PM »

As you said they covered the wave plate under special coverage.  TCM is not covered after warranty expiration.

2010 CXL Silver Green No Sun Roof, No NAV
chriscaldwell11

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 11:53:48 PM »

What about the water pump?
electbc

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 01:14:24 AM »

Here is the extended coverage literature:
May 2013
Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2008-2010 model year Buick Enclave, 2009-2010 model year Chevrolet Traverse, 2007-2010 model year GMC Acadia or Saturn Outlook vehicle equipped with a HFV6 engine, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that your vehicle may have a condition where engine coolant leaks from the water pump shaft seal and may result in water pump failure. These leaks are often due to vehicle operation with a low engine coolant level. Proper maintenance of the engine coolant level will increase shaft seal reliability and ensure that the water pump operates as intended.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the condition described above. If this condition occurs on your vehicle within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles (193,000 kilometers), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: If you believe that your vehicle has the condition described above, repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: If you have paid for repairs for the condition described in this letter, please complete the enclosed form and present it to your dealer with all required documents. Working with your dealer will expedite your request, however, if this is not convenient, you may mail the completed form and all required documents to Reimbursement Department, PO Box 33170, Detroit, MI 48232-5170. The completed form and required documents must be presented to your dealer or received by the Reimbursement Department by April 30, 2014, unless state law specifies a longer reimbursement period.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

Division
Number
Text Telephones (TTY)
Buick
1-800-521-7300
1-800-832-8425

As you can see they specifically state it must be taken to a GM dealer. Since you were the owner for such a short time when it failed, you should make that case as you never would have received the letter from GM. Who did you purchase the vehicle from?
chriscaldwell11

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 08:09:47 PM »

I purchased it from a private seller. Thank you for posting the info. I will have to figure out what to do next. What a hassle.
electbc

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 09:39:56 PM »

Yes is is, mine went after the 120,000 mile mark so it was denied. Try small claims court, the judge would most likely be on your side and if they don't show it is an automatic win. They may just go ahead  and reimburse you if they see you are serious about it.
chriscaldwell11

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 10:46:34 PM »

Good suggestion. Thank you very much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories