Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
March 23, 2017, 08:24:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Search all 4 Lambda Forums at once with the "Super Search" box! Click search in the top nav bar to find it.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 Front Engine Cover Leak - Again!  (Read 422 times, 9 Replies)
msaz17

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2017, 03:02:11 PM »

Took our 2012 w/82K miles in for an oil change and was told by our dealer that our front engine cover is starting to leak and will need to be resealed.  This sounded familiar so I checked my records and sure enough we had the same thing done back at 62K which was then covered by warranty.  Was quoted $1,580 +tax by the dealer, this repair will require the engine to be taken out.  I'm assuming the front engine cover seal is a simple static seal.  I would expect this seal to last the lifetime of the vehicle, but here we are with our second failure.
Also was told we have a broken side motor mount that will need to be replaced (already had the front motor mount replaced back at 77K).  Also have had to replace the struts at 61K and again at 76K.  HVAC mode actuator failed at 67K and had to be replaced.  Right front axle boot failed, resulting in the axle failing and needed replacement at 67K.  And had a leaking steering gear assembly also at 67K which had to be replaced as they cannot replace the seal on the unit.
We LOVED our Enclave until 60K miles, but now it seems with every oil change I get more bad news from our dealer.  At this point we have put over $4,000 in various repairs, with another $1,800 coming for the engine cover and motor mount.  With our Enclave we have gone from happy, to disappointed, to disgusted.
JerseyDevil
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 04:33:49 PM »

Sounds like a horror story.  Don't blame you for being upset.

2010 CXL Silver Green No Sun Roof, No NAV
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 05:40:36 PM »

I loved my Enclave,  but traded it in about a year ago when I was told that it needed over $5,000 in repairs and maintenance.  I experienced happy, to disappointed, to disgusted just like you.

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
bubbanutz

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 06:51:12 PM »

Maybe having robots put cars together isn't much better than having hungover people do it on Monday and Friday. I would think your dealer should offer some type of guarantee on their workmanship for the seal replacement, how do you know they didn't just put a dab of of silicone where it was leaking the first time. My opinion is you should receive a fresh 3 year warranty on anything the dealer touches while your vehicle is under warranty, thus eliminating bs bandaid repairs that may or may not be happening. I had a similar leak with a Chrysler product, repaired twice under warranty, and leaks again with only 90km, what a joke
dzs3fz

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 08:38:23 PM »

I loved my Enclave,  but traded it in about a year ago when I was told that it needed over $5,000 in repairs and maintenance.  I experienced happy, to disappointed, to disgusted just like you.
Most repairs and maintenance items can be performed at cheaper independent shops.   All dealers, both (foreign & domestic) charge big $ for repairs and maintenance items.  My neighbor took his Infinity in for an oil change and it would need $2000 worth of preventative maintenance items. Maintenance items are subjective and it's up to the individual owner to decide if the work is necessary.  Personally, I believe that an ounce of preventative maintenance is worth a pound of cure.           

08 cxl-awd  7 seat WDT, titanium interior, nav, bose radio, sunroof, towing pkg, 19" chrome wheels
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 10:12:53 PM »

Most repairs and maintenance items can be performed at cheaper independent shops.   All dealers, both (foreign & domestic) charge big $ for repairs and maintenance items.  My neighbor took his Infinity in for an oil change and it would need $2000 worth of preventative maintenance items. Maintenance items are subjective and it's up to the individual owner to decide if the work is necessary.  Personally, I believe that an ounce of preventative maintenance is worth a pound of cure.           

I agree. But, in this case the steering rack was leaking and needed to be replaced. The transmission cooler was also leaking and needed replacement. I wouldn't trust an independent garage to perform these; at least none that I'm familiar with. The car also needed a new set of tires, and some other maintenance that I can't recall right now. I might have been able to get the work done for under $4,000 instead of $5,000+, but that was still a lot to pay for an 8.5 year old car. Plus, with only about 5,400 miles left on the extended wave plate coverage, I was at risk for another $3,500+ bill near-term. The thrill of the Enclave experience was outweighed by the cost to keep it and the growing threat of breakdowns. It was time for me to move on.

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
msaz17

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 09:32:52 AM »

I'm going to be contacting our dealer on Monday morning to point out the fact that they performed the repair of the front engine cover seal only 20K miles ago.  I am interested to find out what their reply will be.  Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 09:42:37 AM »

I'm going to be contacting our dealer on Monday morning to point out the fact that they performed the repair of the front engine cover seal only 20K miles ago.  I am interested to find out what their reply will be.  Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

Typically, repairs come with a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. Let us know how this goes.

msaz17

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 10:21:04 AM »

Will do.  Also as luck would have it I did just recently receive a $10.00 off coupon from our dealer for my next maintenance service or repair.  So I've got that going for me, which is nice.
msaz17

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 03:10:26 PM »

Spoke with my contact at the dealer today regarding the fact that they had already resealed the front engine cover less than 20K miles ago.  Was told that since the earlier resealing repair was covered under the powertrain warranty there was now warranty on the repair once the powertrain warranty expired.  My contact then discussed the situation with the service manager.  I was told the service manager spoke with the "regional warranty rep" and they came back offering to perform the resealing for $520.00 + tax (was previously quoted $1,580.00 +tax).  Clearly the previous resealing job was subpar.  Now do I pay the $520.00 and let them have another shot at it and cross my fingers that this time it is done correctly?
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories