Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
April 27, 2017, 04:59:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Enclave Sales Numbers:     Mar: 4,899      YTD Total: 14,445     All Time: 187,013   (graph)

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question re replacement speakers  (Read 296 times, 3 Replies)
dewitt492

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2017, 03:43:22 PM »

I have an '08 with standard 6 speaker system and yes the OEM speakers are blown.  I have been researching replacement options and have a few questions re component systems for fronts.

1. Crossovers - On the OEM speakers, I found the tweeter's crossover is directly mounted on the speaker itself, but where is the crossover for the front woofers?  Are they buried in the dash
    or are they inline crossovers that are incorporated in the wiring inside the door panel?  The reason I am asking is I assume you need to remove the OEM crossover if you are going to install a new
    component system with one of those brick-shaped passive crossovers.

2. Tweeters- For anyone who replaced their tweeters, did you (1) use a tweeter with an integrated crossover mounted on the speaker or (2) did you mount the new tweeter on the door sail trim panel or (3) were you able to pull a wire from the door back into the cabin and up the "A" Pillar. If #2 or #3, please elaborate or send photos showing how you installed.

3. Recomendations- What component system would you recommend?  Spend maximum is $300.....assuming I do the install.  Any opinion on JBL GTO609C's?

Thank you in advance, Dave
Grobrooks

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 08:58:12 AM »

I am considering this on my Enclave as well, non-Bose 6 speaker.  My thoughts were to replace the tweeter in the existing location with aftermarket tweeters and put the x-over in line with the factory wiring.  The door speakers will be replaced with 2-way coaxials so no crossover will be needed, the door speakers "should" most likely be full range and not crossed over.  If you are going with a new component set you could put the supplied crossover in the door and run the wires to the tweeter and woofer.  Going this route I'd say installing the tweeter on the door sail panel would be your easiest option.  I am thinking about ordering the Infinity Kappa 62.11i for the doors and Infinity Kappa 10.11t tweeters.
dewitt492

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 12:54:41 PM »

The front door speakers are single cone woofers whereas the rear doors are 2-way, so my thought is the front door speakers have a crossover somewhere.  Are there any knowledgeable people who can confirm this?

I installed the door speakers (front JBL GTO609's and rear JBL Club 6520's and left the OEM tweeters for now, however I would like to install the new tweeters  and crossovers before judging these JBL speakers.

By the way, there is no doubt that any aftermarket speaker needs to be amped.
Grobrooks

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 03:54:11 PM »

Edited this post.  The front 6.5" does not have any x-over on it and is running full range, there is nothing to worry about there.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:10:27 PM by Grobrooks » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories