Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
April 27, 2017, 05:06:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Enclave? Check out the all new Cadillac SRX at http://www.SRXForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3rd cylinder dead- need new engine  (Read 317 times, 4 Replies)
Mad Enclave owner

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2017, 09:39:05 AM »

The codes read all cylinders were misfiring and the fuel pressure regulator had a problem. I replaced spark plugs, coil packs, and fuel pump regulator. Vehicle still wouldn't start up. Took it to the dealer to check further. They performed a compression test to rule out timing chain issues and determined the rear catalytic converter was completely clogged. The dealer replaced the rear catalytic converter and changed the oil and filter. I paid $1300 for the repair, pulled out of the parking lot and made it 1/4 mile down the road, smoke starts rolling out from under the hood. I drove back to the dealership and they told me the 3rd cylinder is dead and I need a new engine. Before the initial work I had done to the car the engine performed fine. How did the engine blow?
rexster

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 11:21:49 AM »

Your Enclave needs another dealer, sounds to me like. How is it dead? No compression? No spark? Blown piston? Thrown rod? If that's all they're telling you, they're getting ready to take you for a ride

Rex
09 Red Jewel CXL Enclave Traded for KR Ford Expedition May 27, 2012
My other car is 2006 Cadillac XLR
electbc

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 11:25:37 AM »

"determined the rear catalytic converter was completely clogged."
The engine probably had raw fuel going into cats for it to completely clog. How long did you drive with with those cylinders misfiring? Any Flashing CEL?
Back pressure from the clogged cat probably caused the cylinder to fail.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 01:23:46 PM by electbc » Logged
Mad Enclave owner

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 12:32:35 PM »

Yes, they have completely taken me for a ride! They said that the 3rd cylinder was filled with oil and and I would need a new engine. That is all they said.
JayS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 01:13:14 PM »

"determined the rear catalytic converter was completely clogged."
The engine probably had raw fuel going into cats for it to completely clog. How long did you drive with with those cylinder misfiring? Any Flashing CEL?
Back pressure from the clogged cat probably caused the cylinder to fail.

^ This is what I was thinking. My guess is the extra heat/pressure from the clogged cat caused the head gasket to fail which caused lubrication or cooling issues for cyl 3. Lost a head gasket to an 85 Fiero back when I was in college in a 2.8 V6 because of a clogged cat.

Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories