Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
October 30, 2014, 11:07:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: See that little gray camera icon in a member's post? Click it to go directly to their Photo Gallery

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: What is the + and - on the shifter for ?  (Read 1575 times, 14 Replies)
nickg

2010 Red Jewel Tintcoat..

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2009, 12:41:44 PM »

Can someone clear up , what is the + and - minus on the shift lever for, I assume its for moving in and out of overdrive, But when i operate the buttons it appears nothing happens ?  Huh? Huh? eyebrow

2010 Red Jewel Tintcoat, CXL , AWD,, Loaded ... CXL-1, NAV, Towing, Sun Roof, Ebony interior, Rear Screen DVD, Build Date 9/2009,,Delivery 10/27/2009..
rbarrios
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 12:50:11 PM »

for those buttons to work---
you have to shift to L.
then you will get to use the + and - buttons.
you can control the gear your vehicle is in- and how high the tranny can go in certain situations.
once you shift to L- you will see a number appear on your DIC indicatin the gear youre in.
More details in the owners manual

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-   84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
nickg

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 01:04:02 PM »

THANK YOU...!  thumbs up thumbs up

2010 Red Jewel Tintcoat, CXL , AWD,, Loaded ... CXL-1, NAV, Towing, Sun Roof, Ebony interior, Rear Screen DVD, Build Date 9/2009,,Delivery 10/27/2009..
khansen30

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 01:25:44 PM »

Where was your salesman when you took delivery?  Cracks me up how so many have to ask what something is or does.  Salesman should have explained this, pretty important.

Signature:
2009 SLT2 Acadia FWD (Mine)                  2011 Chevy Camaro (Wifes)
QuickSilver - Titanium Leather                  Yellow - Black Interior
Everything
Plague

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 02:12:56 PM »

Congrats on the Red Jewel...

Great color!!!

2009 FWD CXL Red Jewel, Cocoa w/ Cashmere, Ent Sys 4, Towing, Center Console, Seven Spoke, Heated and Cooled Seats, One of the few with Heated Washer Fluid
nickg

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 06:58:39 PM »

Thanks... we just love the color,, we get so many compliments on the Enclave when we take it out.. We had a wonderful delivery,, but i think i thought i knew what it was so i just glossed over the explaination, i thought it was a simple overdrive "on" or overdrive  "off".. Now i know btter,, i tried it out today, after the REAL explaination, and it works perfect..Thanks to all for helping me out..!!!  Help Undecided Huh?

htrdgrma

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 09:04:05 PM »

I had trepidation about using the shift the first time as I wasn't sure if the car would drop down in speed dramatically or just what it would do.  I use it all the time now and it is absolutely great for mountain driving.  You will love it.  There are other posts on this forum about gearing down in low and using the +- shift that you might be able to find listed under other topics.  Your manual will also give you additional information.

ENJOY!

first Enclave: CXL-AWD blue-gold crystal, ebony leather interior,
New Enclave:  CXL-AWD Champagne Silver, Hershey bar leather interior (My name for it), Loaded w/ lots of goodies, but no video this time.
cableguy
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 09:22:12 PM »

As long as everyone on this forum understands that this feature is is NOT a "tip-tronic" shifter...you'll all be ok.  I get the feeling that some on this forum think that it is and operates that way and it does not.  It is only there to tell the tranny what MAXIMUM gear you want the vehicle to shift to.  As stated, great for mountain climbing but if you use it "regularly"...that's not normal as it wasn't designed to be used as a manual shifter as in tip-tronic.

2010 Diamond White Tricoat Enclave CXL2 AWD loaded with NAV; DVD Entertainment; 20" Chrome Wheels; Sun Roof w/Rear Skylight; Luxury, Convenience, Hit the Road & Towing Packages plus 3M paint protection.  Tan Leather with Captain's Chairs in 2nd row.

"Old" Clave was an 08 CXL AWD Loaded w/34K mile
wait4me
Enclave GOD!

Southern Cal

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 11:15:11 PM »

As long as everyone on this forum understands that this feature is is NOT a "tip-tronic" shifter...you'll all be ok.  I get the feeling that some on this forum think that it is and operates that way and it does not.  It is only there to tell the tranny what MAXIMUM gear you want the vehicle to shift to.  As stated, great for mountain climbing but if you use it "regularly"...that's not normal as it wasn't designed to be used as a manual shifter as in tip-tronic.

I realize this is only semantics, but I frequently use the feature to shift down when entering built-up areas from the highway to avoid sluggish performance resulting from the transmission hanging in sixth too long (for me anyway)... This in addition to use in hilly terrain...

True, it's not tiptronic and was not designed as such, but can be very useful nevertheless... Normal? By what definition? Gonna gimme a complex here... Happy

2011 Audi Q7; 2009 Audi A8L
2008 Enclave CXL - still in family - sold to son
notsgnivil58

papa's bud's

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 01:58:49 PM »

I tried it when we first bought our clave and haven't used it since, nor do i feel an urge to....ever....

09 wdt, awd, sunroof, chrome, titanium interior because thats what my wife wanted.
wait4me
Enclave GOD!

Southern Cal

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 03:20:45 PM »

I tried it when we first bought our clave and haven't used it since, nor do i feel an urge to....ever....

There are folks for whom an on/off switch is irrelevant - so be it...  Poke

More seriously, if you were driving a '08 you might be tempted... Even with the latest software upgrade the transmission is much less than it should be... This is the main reason I frequently make use of the feature...

2011 Audi Q7; 2009 Audi A8L
2008 Enclave CXL - still in family - sold to son
nickg

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 06:37:48 PM »

Solid insight guys,, this makes the forum useful for me,, thanks for all the great comments..! thumbs up Cheers

prairieboy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 06:10:28 PM »

Newbie here!

What's "TipTronic"?

K

Go Big or Go Home!

'13 Enclave Convenience, Carbon Black Metallic, Dee Zee running boards, Weather-Tech Digital Fit mats in front and Husky Liners in rear.
rbarrios
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 06:22:15 PM »

Tiptronic is a registered trademark, owned by German sports car maker Porsche, who license it for use by other manufacturers, such as Land Rover and the Volkswagen Group (Audi, SEAT, Škoda and Volkswagen). However, many people (erroneously) use the term to refer generically to any automatic torque converter transmission that incorporates a manual upshift/downshift feature.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-   84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
prairieboy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 09:41:53 PM »

Tiptronic is a registered trademark, owned by German sports car maker Porsche, who license it for use by other manufacturers, such as Land Rover and the Volkswagen Group (Audi, SEAT, Škoda and Volkswagen). However, many people (erroneously) use the term to refer generically to any automatic torque converter transmission that incorporates a manual upshift/downshift feature.

Thanks!

K

Go Big or Go Home!

'13 Enclave Convenience, Carbon Black Metallic, Dee Zee running boards, Weather-Tech Digital Fit mats in front and Husky Liners in rear.
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories