Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
November 21, 2014, 05:01:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Search all 4 Lambda Forums at once with the "Super Search" box! Click search in the top nav bar to find it.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clothes hanger  (Read 3681 times, 17 Replies)
Vanguard

1957 Vanguard - my first car!

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2009, 06:11:58 PM »

I searched for potential answers to this one and found nothing.

The Enclave does not have the hooks for hanging clothes in the approximate middle interior roof of the rear door openings. They are on the back of the B pillar and are very small. Because I travel extensively and for a week or two at a time, I have installed a clothes hanger rod on my other vehicles that is supported by the hooks over the doors or in the case of both my Rendezvous and Volvo, the passenger assist grab handles, which are also on the interior roof in the middle of the doors. The hooks over the third row are not conducive to this application because that area is used for large crate storage.

I know that many snowbirds use the hanger rod for the annual trek south and back and I figure a good number of those birds are making the trip in a Clave. Has anyone come up with a solution?   

I appreciate any advice or suggestions.

2010 Enclave CXL2 FWD, Silver Green/Cashmere, 20" chromes. Also driving an 05 Rendezvous CX+ and my baby, a 1979 MGB Limited Edition. Participant at the 2010 Lansing Delta Township factory tour.
duce

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 06:19:49 PM »

You may want to try using large plastic tie wraps to secure the rod to the grab handles. You would have to cut them off to remove the rod later.  Not the best but it would work.

2009 CXL FWD Gold Mist Metalic, Cashmere Interior, Driver Conf. & Trailering Pkg. 2nd Row Console. Ordered August 18; Delivery October 7; Pick up October 11
jrshall

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 11:27:11 AM »

We have the same problem. Finally found a hanger rod with loops on each end. These slip over the coat hooks in the rear seat area. Unfortunately, this puts the clothes in a rather hard to reach area, but it seems the best we can do with the E.

2009 CXL Cocoa/Cashmere, Ent #1, Most everything else, missed out on the cooled seats
wvbill

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 12:04:56 PM »

Just a caution on using a rod that hangs from the coat hooks.  I did this once years ago (not an enclave) when I was moving to a new town.  Loaded the rod up with a bunch of clothes.  Weight was too much for the coat hook and half way through the trip one of them pulled out of the headliner.

2010 CXL2 AWD w/ towing package - White Diamond Tricoat w/ Cashmere interior  Ordered 7/25/09 Deliv.. 9/9/09
khansen30

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 01:29:54 AM »

I have the same small hooks you are talking about, but I do have "hanger hooks" located in the back end.  Open the hatch and look up about 2 feet in on either side.

Signature:
2009 SLT2 Acadia FWD (Mine)                  2011 Chevy Camaro (Wifes)
QuickSilver - Titanium Leather                  Yellow - Black Interior
Everything
Vanguard

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 09:18:16 PM »

Thanks all - I appreciate your ideas and cautions. The back hooks over the 3rd row seats are condusive to a clothes hanger rod. My difficulty is that I don't use the 3rd row for seating; the seats are always folded and I use the space for storage of boxes or books and equipment for my business. All my previous rides had the hooks centered over the 2nd row seats which permitted the installation of the rod over the full 2nd row.

I am investigating the potential to purchase 2 hand assist handles and install them on the ceiling over the seats. I need my dealer involved in this because I don't know what is behind the surface of that area. If it is just an airduct then I can put a couple of screws into it without harm. If it is used for wiring the risk is too high.

As always, this forum has exceptional value and helps us all to better appreciate the Enclave as a great ride.

2010 Enclave CXL2 FWD, Silver Green/Cashmere, 20" chromes. Also driving an 05 Rendezvous CX+ and my baby, a 1979 MGB Limited Edition. Participant at the 2010 Lansing Delta Township factory tour.
C Traz

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 01:33:39 PM »

Can you fold the second row seats for additional storage and still hang in the third row?

CT

2009 CXL AWD Enclave Silver Green Metallic / Ebony Interior: Navigation Entertainment #4, Sunroof, 2nd Row Console, Heated and Cooled Seats, Driver Confidence Package, Luxury Package, 2-Way Advanced Remote, Cargo Package, Molded Splash Guards, 19" Chromes, Clear Bra
Vanguard

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 08:08:45 PM »

Certainly could and it may end up as the best alternative. It would be somewhat inconvenient loading the materials and equipment from the side doors in tight parking spots at client locations. Additionally I sometimes use the rear seats to take clients for lunch or a beverage. In the Volvo this means taking out the hanger rod because it is so low that passengers hit their head  Bang Head ... clothes are hung in the hotel room closet by then!

This is not a major issue with the Enclave but I thought someone may have encountered the issue and come up with a MacGyver solution. I'll head on over to the Home Depot and pick up two nice brass coat hooks and screw them into the head liner  Oh No  wink

C Traz

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 11:46:49 AM »

Ouch  confused

CT

2009 CXL AWD Enclave Silver Green Metallic / Ebony Interior: Navigation Entertainment #4, Sunroof, 2nd Row Console, Heated and Cooled Seats, Driver Confidence Package, Luxury Package, 2-Way Advanced Remote, Cargo Package, Molded Splash Guards, 19" Chromes, Clear Bra
duce

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »

Before you go to Home Depot you may want to stop at your Sporting Goods Store for some climbing gear.  These may do the trick to slip over the grab handles and attach to the rod.
You may want to add a short length of foam pipe insulation to prevent it from slipping or scratching the handles.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 05:52:47 PM by duce » Logged

2009 CXL FWD Gold Mist Metalic, Cashmere Interior, Driver Conf. & Trailering Pkg. 2nd Row Console. Ordered August 18; Delivery October 7; Pick up October 11
jrshall

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 11:34:53 AM »

Before you go to Home Depot you may want to stop at your Sporting Goods Store for some climbing gear.  These may do the trick to slip over the grab handles and attach to the rod.
You may want to add a short length of foam pipe insulation to prevent it from slipping or scratching the handles.

This won't work. The assist handles are on the B pillar, and the front seat backs would interfere with the rod.

FWIW, we also travel with the third row down, and just use the hooks over the third row seat for the clothes rod, and let the clothes bottoms lie on the baggage packed in the rear cargo area.

I would be afraid to try hanging much from hooks screwed into the headliner. It doesn't seem very sturdy over the second row seats, at least if you have the sunroof.

2009 CXL Cocoa/Cashmere, Ent #1, Most everything else, missed out on the cooled seats
Vanguard

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 11:50:09 AM »

I'm not about to screw anything into the headliner - that comment was an expression of sarcasm.  so sad

It seems like using the third row hangers is the only reasonable solution and I will need to adapt to this new beauty I am driving.

Thanks.

Bruiser

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 12:21:59 PM »

My 2011 has same coat hook arrangement. I just tried to hang a small short garment bag on only rear hook(3rd row) and had to fold 2nd row  seat for access and then found cargo area too short with 3rd row seat folded. Had to fold garment bag in half. I, like many of you, leave 3rd seat folded for maxium cargo space. Why aren't grab handles above rear doors with built in hooks. You can then use small hook for a sport coat and handles for clothes rod. What are these engineers thinking??? Things that have been in autos for many years seem to be missing. Glove box lights,
floor courtesy lamps, door open lamps, 8-way pass seat, auto wipers, locking glove box & rear storage area, functional luggage rack, turn indicators on rearview mirrors viewable from rear, just to name a few. These platforms have been out since 08' -  guess they don't like to make changes until a new platform comes along.

2011 Enclave CXL2 FWD, Red/Cashmere, Navigation, Sunroof, 20" Wheels & Trailer Pkg.,Nav.By-Pass,WT Lg.Cargo & Floor Liners,Mld.Splash G.,Cargo Net, Security Screen,Door Emblems
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 01:11:07 PM »

Bruiser, have you tried using the second row garment hooks located on the rear facing side of each b-pillar? They appear awkwardly placed, but they are easy to access and work well. I would recommend using the one on the passenger side due to left sideview visibility blockage when garments are hanging on the driver's side.

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
rockyp
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 02:58:19 PM »

I disagree about placement, Gold. If you use the hangar directly behind the driver, you can't even see the clothes unless you can turn your neck/head a full 180 degrees! On the passenger side, it blocks your view to the right rear for lane changes... At least, that's my experience...

2008 Cocoa CXL AWD, Nav, Rear Ent - Owned 72 months, 135,900 miles. Traded 9 days short of 6 years of ownership for new Subaru Outback.

Why are they called "hemorrhoids"? Shouldn't they be called "asteroids"?
asgard

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 04:19:01 PM »

I found the entire allocation of holing down fixtures, hanging facilities and general storage organization lacking in the car. I think they designed as a people carrier and thought by giving it a large storage area that was good enough.
I was quite concerned with the fact that a large object that did not fill the base dimensions was unsupported by tethers. If you look at most cars not SUV/CUV derivatives they have hold downs in useful places.

lack of real world engineering - or decontenting- take your pick.

There will always be compromise but some of the omissions are quite obvious.
JK27

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 12:17:13 AM »

Definitely need a place for a hangar for a suit coat in the middle seat. My Rendezvous had one and I used it every day. May need to try something like this:  http://www.asseenontvsell.com/gifts-novelty/auto-hanger-valet-coat-hanger-for-the-car.html

2010 Enclave AWD CXL-1, with Bose System, Sunroof, 19" Chrome Wheels
Quicksilver Metallic Exterior with Titanium Leather Interior
Sailfish
Enclave GOD!

Volunteer with Sheltie rescue organizations

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 04:16:47 AM »

Definitely need a place for a hangar for a suit coat in the middle seat. My Rendezvous had one and I used it every day. May need to try something like this:  http://www.asseenontvsell.com/gifts-novelty/auto-hanger-valet-coat-hanger-for-the-car.html

Now that is a cool idea.  Although bringing clothes home from the dry cleaners wouldn't help much.  I just fold down one of the second row seats and lay the clothes on it and hope they don't slid off before I get home.

11 Enclave CXL2 WDT FWD 20" Wheels build 11/10 purchase 2/11
05 Nissan 350Z convertible - husband's
03 Saturn VUE V6 AWD - was my Mother carry around vehicle

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

Albert Einstein
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories