Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
November 23, 2014, 09:19:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Enclave? Check out the all new Cadillac SRX at http://www.SRXForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How does the dealer reset the TPMS?  (Read 24354 times, 72 Replies)
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« on: December 25, 2009, 08:15:16 PM »

I think that I have read somewhere in this forum a while ago how the TPMS is reset at the service department, but I can't find the information now. I am curious to know if the tech has a faster alternate technique to the time consuming multi-step procedure described in the manual. Every time I bring my car in for a tire rotation, I remind the service rep to reset the TPMS, but so far the shop has neglected to follow through. In fact, the last two visits I voiced my annoyance at the prior omission of this procedure and had been assured that it would actually be done, but still no luck. If the tech has to perform the same long reset procedure that we do at home, I can understand why there has been so much resistance to providing the service. If there is a much simpler way for the tech to reset the TPMS, then I see no reason other than contempt of the supervisor or customer to neglect to perform the requested service.

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
wait4me
Enclave GOD!

Southern Cal

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 09:06:37 PM »

There is a much simpler way - even my local Big 10 tire shop has the ability to do in a few seconds & does so... His shop is only a couple blocks away, so I take the E there for tire rotations rather than drive 20 miles to my dealer...

2011 Audi Q7; 2009 Audi A8L
2008 Enclave CXL - still in family - sold to son
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »

Really!?  Shocked  Then why won't my dealer reset my TPMS!?  flaming mad  I think it may be time to find another Buick dealer for service.  :Smiley

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
wait4me
Enclave GOD!

Southern Cal

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 11:33:22 PM »

Really!?  Shocked  Then why won't my dealer reset my TPMS!?  flaming mad  I think it may be time to find another Buick dealer for service.  :Smiley

Seriously...  thumbs up

rbarrios
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 11:51:19 PM »

They have a tool to do it.
I belieave they can use their Tech scan tool...

On m 07 Impala I tried to manually reset after I rotated tires... no go... I mean 60 something tries (over 2 weeks or so)...
at which point I got annoyed and took it to the dealer. I was charged $18.... but finally corrected.
Do a search online for TPMS reset tool....  some are pricey...but many shops have to buy them.
If they rotate the tires--- then they should reset the TPMS....

For me- I was jus t tired of trying to reset--- and tired of the light coming up.

But dealer can do it

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-   84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 12:01:20 AM »

My dealer agrees to reset the TPMS each time I request it, but they never actually do it. So strange, especially since it seems like a quick procedure.  Huh?  I would offer to pay a small fee, but if they wanted to charge me they would have informed me. I just think that they do not want to be bothered for some reason.  :Smiley

wait4me
Enclave GOD!

Southern Cal

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 12:06:28 AM »

My dealer agrees to reset the TPMS each time I request it, but they never actually do it. So strange, especially since it seems like a quick procedure.  Huh?  I would offer to pay a small fee, but if they wanted to charge me they would have informed me. I just think that they do not want to be bothered for some reason.  :Smiley

I'd block their shop door until they proved it'd been done... I mean this procedure is faster than talking about it!

GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 12:15:26 AM »

Maybe I will give them one more chance, but will be armed with information that I am aware of the tool that they use to easily reset the TPMS. If they still do not perform the reset, I will assume that they do not want my business, and I will go to another dealer.

BTW, I finally found the thread regarding the TPMS reset tool at the dealership:

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=2389.msg66315#msg66315

wvuguy
Enclave Freak

Let's go Mountaineers/Pens Here we go Steelers

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 08:38:30 AM »

Most tire shops (including dealers have a tool that they scan the tire pressure sensors located inside the tire.

Read about TPMS at this site: http://www.bartecusa.com/tpms_replacement.htm

Or you can do it yourself in about 10 minutes:

1. Set the parking brake.
2. Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine off.
3. Press the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter’s
LOCK and UNLOCK buttons at the same time for
approximately five seconds. The horn sounds twice
to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and TIRE
LEARNING ACTIVE message displays on the DIC
screen.
4. Start with the driver side front tire.
5. Remove the valve cap from the valve cap stem.
Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or
decreasing the tire’s air pressure for five seconds,
or until a horn chirp sounds. The horn chirp,
which may take up to 30 seconds to sound,
confirms that the sensor identification code has
been matched to this tire and wheel position.
6. Proceed to the passenger side front tire, and repeat
the procedure in Step 5.
7. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire, and repeat
the procedure in Step 5.
8. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the
procedure in Step 5. The horn sounds two times
to indicate the sensor identification code has been
matched to the driver side rear tire, and the
TPMS sensor matching process is no longer active.
The TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message on the
DIC display screen goes off.
9. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF.
10. Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure
level as indicated on the Tire and Loading
Information label.
11. Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.

Simple, easy and you know its been done.

GoldE never disputed the fact there was a procedure for the owner to reset the System;  indeed, he referenced it in his post.  I believe his issue.....and that of many other users as well.....is the ultimate reality it's a comparative pain-in-the-a** for the owner to go through it, and most of us are frankly looking for something a little easier (or perhaps a bit more instinctive) to use.  

OTOH, the procedure wouldn't bother me quite so much if it were more reliable.  From my standpoint, there are just too many intangibles involved to ensure a reliable reset.  The fact you have to bleed off pressure for as much as 30 seconds.....while all-the-while waiting/hoping for the horn beep that may never come.....is (IMHO) beyond-weird.  

And, I'm not crazy about any procedure requiring me to re-inflate my tires afterward.  Beyond the fact I've decided to nurse/maintain my Latitude Tours (for monetary reasons) more proactively than perhaps any other tires I've ever owned, the TPMS reset procedure is one of the main reasons I invested in a portable air compressor pretty much solely for tire inflation purposes.

Then again, I myself could invest in a TPMS programming tool like the following;  of course, I've got better things to do with spare C notes these days.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=111

« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 08:44:19 AM by wvuguy » Logged

'09 CXL FWD (invoiced 9/4/08, delivered 12/18/08) -- WDT/Cashmere, Roofs, DC with heated removed, Lux, Ent #1, Chromes, WeatherTech (installed 12/27/08), Venture Shield (applied 1/6/09), Molded SG's (installed 1/17/09).  Replaced 3/16/12 with a 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited.
wait4me
Enclave GOD!

Southern Cal

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 09:06:43 AM »

Pretty much agree, but the procedure outlined in the manual is, imho, unacceptable even if 100% effective & repeatable... Smacks of the care necessary to mix a potent witch's brew...  confused

txhokie4life

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 09:53:53 AM »

Is there a way via the OBDII with a code reader/setter or some such?

I have a system for my Porsche Boxster to be able to reset most engine codes, airbag, and other codes.

thanks,

Mike
zman
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »

OTOH, the procedure wouldn't bother me quite so much if it were more reliable.  From my standpoint, there are just too many intangibles involved to ensure a reliable reset.  The fact you have to bleed off pressure for as much as 30 seconds.....while all-the-while waiting/hoping for the horn beep that may never come.....is (IMHO) beyond-weird.  

I don't diagree with anyone's opinion here.  Having said that I found doing the reset myself was a piece of cake the one time I have done it.  It helps that I have a compressor however.  I agree that you should not have to do it if the dealer rotates the tires for you.

Mine went exactly as the manual states.  One subtle point from wvuguys's post.  You only need to let the air out for 5 seconds.  I sometimes decided to play it safe and let it out for 8-10.  Two times the horn beeped right away.  Two other wheels the horn beeped about 15 seconds later.  The key point is that the beep sometimes lags letting the air out, you do not need to let the air out until the horn beeps.  You simply have to have faith that you let the air out for more than five seconds and then move on.  By the time I dragged the air hose to the next wheel it had always beeped.

2011 Enclave CXL-2 AWD Gray Green Metallic/Ebony, 20" Chrome Wheels, Sunroof, Trailering Package, Splash Guards, Engine Block Heater

2014 Audi A4 Prestige - Ice Silver Metallic
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 11:33:49 AM »

My point is that the procedure in the manual is too cumbersome and annoying to perform IMO. I guess what I an wondering is how common is it for the dealer to reset the TPMS after a rotation. If it is not routine, though I would expect it to be, then my complaint about omitting the service at my dealership might be over the top. If anybody else is not having this service provided, please chime in. wink

jacko

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 12:02:25 PM »

My dealer always reset my sensors, except for the last time. Rather than take it right back, I thought I'd try the manual reprogramming. Admittedly, the instructions in the manual are a bit verbose, but once I ran through them, they became quite intuitive. I don't have an air compressor, so I re-inflated using my bicycle pump. Even that wasn't too strenuous. The whole thing took less than 10 minutes.
I agree the dealer should always do the reprogramming, but doing it myself was preferable to another trip to the dealer.
If your dealer won't do it, or lies about it, it's time to find a new place for tire rotation.

2008 Enclave CX AWD, Platinum/Ebony, Drivers Confidence Pkg., 8 Passenger
zman
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 01:34:35 PM »

My point is that the procedure in the manual is too cumbersome and annoying to perform IMO. I guess what I an wondering is how common is it for the dealer to reset the TPMS after a rotation. If it is not routine, though I would expect it to be, then my complaint about omitting the service at my dealership might be over the top. If anybody else is not having this service provided, please chime in. wink

I think it is entirely within expectations to have the dealer reset the sensors when rotating your tires.  I honestly have no idea if mine did it the once or twice I had them rotated.  I have rarely had to add air to the tires and when I did I only added a little bit to all of them.  I really don't know if they were indicating the correct location or not.  How do you know they are not resetting them?  Do you compare the readings to a gauge and see a mismatch?  Do you purposely let air out of one tire to check?  How do you know?  Just curious.

One more point.  I think the fact that GM even gives us an option to reset the sensors is fantastic.  Many manufacturers, like my Subaru, give no option other than with a special device/tool.  I have no option to reset those on my own, nor more importantly for me, learn a second set of sensors on my own.  I say kudos to GM!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 01:37:22 PM by zman » Logged

2011 Enclave CXL-2 AWD Gray Green Metallic/Ebony, 20" Chrome Wheels, Sunroof, Trailering Package, Splash Guards, Engine Block Heater

2014 Audi A4 Prestige - Ice Silver Metallic
rbarrios
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2009, 01:55:54 PM »

I don't diagree with anyone's opinion here.  Having said that I found doing the reset myself was a piece of cake the one time I have done it.  It helps that I have a compressor however. 
Mine went exactly as the manual states. 

I have not tried it on my 2010 Traverse....
But on my 2007 Impala--- I followed the intructions in the manual.... Like I said- about 60 tries... and I got fed up with it.
Im talking about many tries- and ultimately never got them to reset.
Id get 1 of 4, 2 of 4, and several times got 3 of 4...... but never 4 of 4.
So I said.. maybe the 4th one is bad... so I then tried the 4th tire 1st- and sure enough-- it recognized it right away.
Heck sometimes I would get 0 of 4.
Quite a few times Id end up with tires that were severely low...
I even tried going to gas station- over filling tires. so Id have multiple tries...
other times I tried putting air IN... and trying the procedure......
Why I couldnt get 4/4 ill never know.... I got fed up and took it to the dealer who did it in no time.

On the subsequent tire rotation I did (myself) I didnt bother to reset... I simply know where the tires went....
I did end up on an Impala forum- where other owners experienced the same thing.... yet others were able to reset on the 1st try....

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-   84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
Tralfaz

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2009, 02:10:48 PM »

The dealer can do it in under 5 minutes using their Tech II tool; it has a wireless transceiver that communicates with the sensors. If they won't do it, find another dealer or service shop. That's unacceptable.
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2009, 02:39:18 PM »

Thanks, Tralfaz. Your input is always appreciated. Smiley

GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2009, 02:47:23 PM »

Zman, I have had to add air to the tires between rotations, especially when the weather gets colder. I have noticed that when putting air in one tire, the TPMS would indicate as if I had added air to another tire. Also, once one of the tires was a little low per the TPMS and I added air to the wrong tire since the system had not been reset.

wait4me
Enclave GOD!

Southern Cal

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2009, 03:21:48 PM »

Zman, I have had to add air to the tires between rotations, especially when the weather gets colder. I have noticed that when putting air in one tire, the TPMS would indicate as if I had added air to another tire. Also, once one of the tires was a little low per the TPMS and I added air to the wrong tire since the system had not been reset.

Ditto... Monthly diagnostic report indicated a low tire, but thanks to dealer's failure to reset, I over-inflated a tire rather than bringing the low tire up to desired pressure... Fortunately I was using the TPMS to monitor my work at the time...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories