Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
October 01, 2014, 01:57:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Enclave? Check out the all new Cadillac SRX at http://www.SRXForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Poll
Question: Which drivetrain does your Enclave have?
FWD - 86 (45.7%)
AWD - 102 (54.3%)
Total Voters: 188

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FWD vs. AWD  (Read 39655 times, 146 Replies)
kidsenclave
Enclave GOD!

Trying to please 100% of people 100% of the time.

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2010, 02:55:36 PM »

kids,

It is prob the traction control/Stabilitrak engaging. I made mention of this on another post. When trying to climb our driveway if we don't turn the TC (I don't think you can ever turn off the Stabilitrak) off we hear the noise you hear with a slight vibration. I believe this is the AWD system transferring the power to all 4 wheels and the TC/Stabilitrak engaging the ABS. We usually turn off the TC as it definitely makes you lose momentum when trying to climb a hill.

Try making a sharp turn and let the backend swing around. If you are getting the same noise it might be the Stabilitrak applying the brakes at the appropriate wheel trying to get the E back in a straight line. (can be fun until the system takes over)

I've had traction control and ABS on several other vehicles, and none of them have done this.  Perhaps it's the stabilitrak, or an advanced traction control, but I'll try turning off the TC and see if the noise doesn't occur.

2009 Enclave CX FWD 8 passenger, silver green metallic, ebony cloth, driver's conf. package, tow package.  (Was an order, built July 28th 2008, delivered to us July 31st 2008)
2014 Ford Escape SE 4wd sunset, wife's vehicle, our first Ford
1972 Pontiac GTO.  Owned since 1998

GO GREEN!
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2010, 11:08:27 PM »

So, do you all think that lower skirt under the front bumper is strong enough in deep snow not to break off?  so far, I've been fortunate not to have an issue with it.  

One question about driving in snow: Has anyone else noticed a loud grinding noise, when slipping thru the snow?  It sounds like either the ABS, or is it the stabilitrak?  It's when I still have my foot on the gas, so it's not when I'm applying the brakes.  Just wondering if the system automatically applys the ABS brakes, when it detects wheel sliding, even if the brake pedal is not applied.  Only lasts a couple seconds, and feels like the vehicle is stopping, so perhaps it's the ABS>

Both are interesting questions that seem to have been aptly answered since your post. I was also concerned about the strength of the skirt, but it pushed through the snow without incident in the recent storm. I guess that we won't likely need to drive through those conditions too often, though.  Cheesy

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
comp

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2010, 08:13:43 AM »

I have managed to fully engage AWD and stabillitrak and dont usually ever hear a noise.     I once several times tried to get the truck to do circles and the damn thing kept correctly itself but it was silent.   So i have never heard the ABS when it is working with ST on the rear ties but I have heard the ABS when it engages on the front
PaPas Truck

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2010, 09:26:15 AM »

FWD.  If I have snow to drive in, I am leaving Florida for something further south.  Also, it has been twenty years plus since I have driven in snow.  If I ever do drive in snow again, it will be twenty more years too soon.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 09:28:49 AM by PaPas Truck » Logged

2010 Enclave CXL2, FWD, Gold Mist, Cashmere leather, SunRoof/Skylight, Captains Chairs 2nd row, Nav Pkg, Rear DVD, 20 in. Wheels, Trailering Pkg., 12/09 build.

There are two kinds of people in this world.  SAILORS!.   And those who wish they were.
MingGOBlue08

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2010, 01:26:33 PM »

I've had traction control and ABS on several other vehicles, and none of them have done this.  Perhaps it's the stabilitrak, or an advanced traction control, but I'll try turning off the TC and see if the noise doesn't occur.

Kids,
Were you able to turn off the TC and try it out. We got more snow a few weeks ago and I try to play around in the Enclave. I turned the TC off and tried to slide around. It did make a noise (not exactly a grinding noise but really can't describe it) you could tell that something was engaging to get the E back in line. Wasn't sure if it was the Stabilitrak or the AWD engaging.

08 Ming Blue Enclave CXL AWD w/ENT Pack #4 Chromes/Lux/DriverConf/Roof/Trailer Pack

09 Liquid Red G8 GT/Sport/ Premium
02 Infrared Escalade AWD (Traded)
kidsenclave
Enclave GOD!

Trying to please 100% of people 100% of the time.

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2010, 02:14:59 PM »

Kids,
Were you able to turn off the TC and try it out. We got more snow a few weeks ago and I try to play around in the Enclave. I turned the TC off and tried to slide around. It did make a noise (not exactly a grinding noise but really can't describe it) you could tell that something was engaging to get the E back in line. Wasn't sure if it was the Stabilitrak or the AWD engaging.
No, I didn't take the opportunity....yes, LOTS of snow a couple weeks ago, but I stayed in....didn't want to take the Enclave out in the mess if I didn't have to.  However, I was out a little after the storm, and was going thru the snow, but it never made that exact noise I had before, must have to be an exact scenario of sliding thru deep snow, then entering a plowed street, that's when it happened last time.  I guess if it's "normal" to hear noises like that, and it happens even when not pushing on the brake, I won't worry about it.  Must be doing what it's designed to.

2009 Enclave CX FWD 8 passenger, silver green metallic, ebony cloth, driver's conf. package, tow package.  (Was an order, built July 28th 2008, delivered to us July 31st 2008)
2014 Ford Escape SE 4wd sunset, wife's vehicle, our first Ford
1972 Pontiac GTO.  Owned since 1998

GO GREEN!
izzycohen

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2010, 11:38:36 PM »

This is my first AWD vehicle.  I've been driving FWD sedans for the past 20 years.  I drive in snow every year.  My sales area includes: North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana and Kentucky.  I drive very little in ND, SD and NE.  I felt it was past time to get a vehicle that allows me to sit up higher and that AWD would make the snow less of an issue.

2010 CXL, AWD, White Opal w/Ebony interior.  Rosen navigation.
NapervilleMike

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2010, 10:00:12 PM »

So, who has FWD and has driven through "normal" midwest amounts of snow - say 3-6" - for a commute.  I live in the Chicago burbs and generally the roads are plowed fairly quickly by me, so I'm not driving in deep snow too often, and I'm actually a little above my price point with the Enclave, so if I can save some money going FWD instead of AWD I'd love to do so, but not if it is a significant sacrifice in safety.  But with traction and stability control I'm wondering how much AWD is really improves things.... 

I'm going to order my E in the next 2-6 months, so any comments are much appreciated - thanks!!!
IMHIP2
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2010, 10:35:15 PM »

So, who has FWD and has driven through "normal" midwest amounts of snow - say 3-6" - for a commute.  I live in the Chicago burbs and generally the roads are plowed fairly quickly by me, so I'm not driving in deep snow too often, and I'm actually a little above my price point with the Enclave, so if I can save some money going FWD instead of AWD I'd love to do so, but not if it is a significant sacrifice in safety.  But with traction and stability control I'm wondering how much AWD is really improves things.... 

I'm going to order my E in the next 2-6 months, so any comments are much appreciated - thanks!!!

I have FWD in Toronto - very similiar to Chicago.  When it snows everything comes to a standstill anyway so AWD is of no advantage.  Snow is cleared from roads quickly.
I did opt for the snow tires  (I found the 19" Michilins a bit slick for my liking) and had no trouble.

2008 Enclave CXL FWD Red Jewel Ebony 8 pass - everything but Nav - June 08 build - May 08 reflash, 19" Chromes & 19" 15 spokes with snows, weather tech digital front and rear mats

Jan 09 New - 80,000km and attended the 2010 Delta tour
khansen30

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2010, 10:35:57 PM »

I've had a FWD Outlook and now Acadia.  Both have performed well in a heavy wet snow the last couple of years but especially this last winter.  6 to 12 inches several times this winter.  The only problem I ever had was the clearance, and it wouldn't matter if you have the AWD or FWD, clearance will get you stuck if not paying attention.

Signature:
2009 SLT2 Acadia FWD (Mine)                  2011 Chevy Camaro (Wifes)
QuickSilver - Titanium Leather                  Yellow - Black Interior
Everything
Family Truckster

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2010, 01:26:29 PM »

FWD and live is sunny Michingan.  Rarely a day goes by when the snow falls and the plow trucks are not out the next day AFTER the morning commute.   Bang Head  I swear MIDOT must save money by NOT plowing roads until cars has sufficiently trampled all the snow down.   flaming mad  So to answer your question, we have a FWD, live in a snowy region (like 6 months out of the year) and we find no problems traveling the unplowed, linear passage ways that are often mistaken for "roads" in Michigan.

50% Paved Roads, Michigan
bocoogto

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2010, 10:52:19 PM »

The noise you're hearing soon after you start driving is the antilock brake system checking itself.  There is a slight chattering noise and vibration for about 3 seconds.  It occurs about 30 seconds after a cold start and it does that every time the vehicle is started. 

It has nothing to do with AWD or FWD or Stabilitrak. 

2009 CXL FWD with Tow Pkg.  Red Jewel Tintcoat '09 purchased 10/08.  Traded '04 GTO and '07 Grand Prix GXP.  Getting Old?
NapervilleMike

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2010, 02:06:30 AM »

Thanks all who responded to my questions re: FWD vs. AWD - you've made me more comfortable going with FWD which was the direction I was leaning.  You saved me $2,000 - I owe you a beer!!!   Beer Beer Beer Cheers Cheers Cheers
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2010, 11:18:28 PM »

I am sure that you will be just fine with a FWD Enclave.  wink  I must say, however, that I do not feel that I wasted 2K on my AWD. I was very impressed watching my wife drive up to our driveway after driving home from work through up to 14" of unplowed snow. The snow was so deep that the front bumper looked like a plow. She even made a u-turn to back out of a road blocked by stuck vehicles. She claims that the car felt sure footed during the entire 12 mile trip. AWD does have its merits, but the initial extra cost, reduced mileage, and the frequency of severe snow driving must be factored into a decision to opt for it.

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
NapervilleMike

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2010, 01:41:21 AM »

I am sure that you will be just fine with a FWD Enclave.  wink  I must say, however, that I do not feel that I wasted 2K on my AWD. I was very impressed watching my wife drive up to our driveway after driving home from work through up to 14" of unplowed snow. The snow was so deep that the front bumper looked like a plow. She even made a u-turn to back out of a road blocked by stuck vehicles. She claims that the car felt sure footed during the entire 12 mile trip. AWD does have its merits, but the initial extra cost, reduced mileage, and the frequency of severe snow driving must be factored into a decision to opt for it.

I hope I didn't seem like I was implying that I was criticizing those who got AWD - that definitely was NOT my intent.  If we weren't already stretching to get the E I'd definitely get AWD, but I'm at the point where I need to search for which options to cut out, and that seemed like a possibility. 
C Traz

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2010, 09:53:41 AM »

NapervilleMike,

Which dealer are you thinking of purchasing from?  Village GMC/Buick on Ogden Ave?

CT

2009 CXL AWD Enclave Silver Green Metallic / Ebony Interior: Navigation Entertainment #4, Sunroof, 2nd Row Console, Heated and Cooled Seats, Driver Confidence Package, Luxury Package, 2-Way Advanced Remote, Cargo Package, Molded Splash Guards, 19" Chromes, Clear Bra
NapervilleMike

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2010, 10:40:14 AM »

NapervilleMike,

Which dealer are you thinking of purchasing from?  Village GMC/Buick on Ogden Ave?

CT

Yes - why?
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2010, 01:25:39 PM »

NapervilleMike, you post was not perceived as AWD criticism. I genuinely support a decision to get FWD. I was also expressing my satisfaction with my AWD version for those considering that option. Equipped either way, the Enclave is a very capable vehicle. In the end, I hope that you enjoy the Enclave you choose as much as I have mine. Cheers

C Traz

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2010, 04:03:37 PM »

Yes - why?

I'm in the area and I did not purchase from there, but I do go there for oil changes.  Service department seems OK so far, but was wondering how the sales staff is for future purchases?  Haven't needed any other service so far on my 2009.

CT

2009 CXL AWD Enclave Silver Green Metallic / Ebony Interior: Navigation Entertainment #4, Sunroof, 2nd Row Console, Heated and Cooled Seats, Driver Confidence Package, Luxury Package, 2-Way Advanced Remote, Cargo Package, Molded Splash Guards, 19" Chromes, Clear Bra
NapervilleMike

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2010, 04:21:22 PM »

I'm in the area and I did not purchase from there, but I do go there for oil changes.  Service department seems OK so far, but was wondering how the sales staff is for future purchases?  Haven't needed any other service so far on my 2009.

CT

CT - I bought my current 2006 Pontiac Torrent from them and I go their for almost of my services.  I'm very happy with their service department, and LOVE the fact they are open until midnight on weeknights.  I've shopped prices and they are competitive with the brake shops, oil shops, etc.  (I haven't bought tires there, but I did see an add saying GM Goodwrench matches competitor's prices for tires.)  The sales staff was fine - but what was great was they actually let me take home a Torrent for the evening to test drive it to my heart's content - didn't cost me a penny.  The only complaint I have at all was with one brake job - they didn't catch when new pads or rotors (I don't recall which) were needed as early as they should have. 

But I will go to them again without reservation, and that I was thrilled they added Buick to their lineup last year!

Mike
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories