Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
October 24, 2014, 09:24:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Enclave? Check out the all new Cadillac SRX at http://www.SRXForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: transmission flush at 25,000KM ( 15,000 MI )?  (Read 6136 times, 20 Replies)
rblt

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2010, 02:32:19 PM »

Just called my dealer to schedule an oil change and am advised that a "light" transmission flush is due at 25,000KM.  This caught me by surprise, so wondering if others have done this so soon, if it is really required maintenance or is it just a revenue generator for the dealer.  If it really is required maintenance I am considering switching to synthetic trans fluid, as I have been happy with the synthetic engine oil for the past year.

Thoughts/Comments?

2009 Enclave CX FWD Cocoa/Cashmere, 8 passenger, Sunroof, Leather, Towing, Running Boards
rbarrios
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 02:39:05 PM »

isnt the trans fluid in the lambdas already the new Dexron VI.... long life trans fluid?

15k is wayyyyyy to early I think.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-   84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
rbarrios
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 02:46:50 PM »

i just looked at the 2009 Traverse manual.
it says it uses Dexron VI. normal service interval is 100K. unless driven under harsh conditions.
But 15K..... hmmmm
The Enclave cant be THAT special...

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-   84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
copperbeech

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 02:50:34 PM »

Just playing Devil's Advocate:

Just like many of us (me included) did several early engine oil changes in our new Lambda one might similarly consider doing a drain of the transmission fluid relatively early on....say after the first year. After getting out this FF then one might not drain/flush for another 50k miles.

As one may read over at the Acadia forum it is relatively easy DIY job (i.e easier than an engine oil change) to drain 5 quarts of transmission fluid and then fill via the transmission fluid 'dipstick'. Do this a couple or 3 times subsequently and one has replaced a great majority of the old fluid for a relatively low price i.e just the cost of the fluid.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 05:15:23 PM by copperbeech » Logged
wait4me
Enclave GOD!

Southern Cal

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 03:52:12 PM »

Strictly a personal opinion... Overkill...

2011 Audi Q7; 2009 Audi A8L
2008 Enclave CXL - still in family - sold to son
6Sixathome

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 04:10:57 PM »

Agreed, way too early on these transmissions. I have an 05 VUE with the Honda drivetrain in it 3.5L/5 speed auto (I dont know what the reasoning was for GM to do this, but whatever) and it says trans service @100K........no way on this trans, it would kill it. I bought it with 62K and the fluid was brown, it needed changed right now.  Back to the 6 speed in the Lambdas I would say 30K then every 30K after for cheap insurance and to prolong the life of the trans cause when 100K is here we are on our own!

2009' OUTLOOK 1XR QUICKSILVER, SOLD
2013' CHEVY SUBURBAN LT CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT, EBONY LEATHER
2005' SATURN VUE V-TEC
2008' GMC SIERRA CREW Z71 SONOMA RED EBONY CLOTH 5.3L LC9 BLACKBEAR TUNED
kidsenclave
Enclave GOD!

Trying to please 100% of people 100% of the time.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 04:31:48 PM »

I say, FTOM (follow the owner's manual):  100K is what it says, unless you are in heavy city traffic where the outside temperature regularly reaches 90 degrees F or higher. (32 degrees C...huh, is that right? 32 doesn't sound like the right conversion to me, but just putting down what it's printed in the owner's manual...), in hilly or mountainous terrain, when doing frequent trailer towing, or if the vehicle is used such as a taxi, police, or for delivery service.  (some of us with kids will feel like we are a taxi service... Happy)  If those conditions are such, then it says change the fluid at 50K.

Never going to hurt anything chaging any fluid too early, all about what you want to do, and pay.  Same goes for oil changes or coolant flushes.  You can FTOM (see above), or you can pay more out of pocket when you don't have to.

2009 Enclave CX FWD 8 passenger, silver green metallic, ebony cloth, driver's conf. package, tow package.  (Was an order, built July 28th 2008, delivered to us July 31st 2008)
2014 Ford Escape SE 4wd sunset, wife's vehicle, our first Ford
1972 Pontiac GTO.  Owned since 1998

GO GREEN!
BadAV
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 05:38:05 PM »

Agreed - it's way too early to mess with the tranny. Dexron VI is semi-synthetic at worst and full synthetic at best (I've read that they have two kinds of Dex VI). At most you might pull the drain plug (does the Enclave have one; I haven't looked yet) and refill at 30K miles. That would replace somewhere around 1/4-1/3 of the fluid. Most of us drive closer to what GM describes as severe service than "normal"; it's not a bad idea to err on the safe side and follow the severe service schedule. Personal opinion is that you would be safe not doing a thing until 50K.

Wife's: 2014 TorRed Dodge Charger SXT Plus, replaced 2008 Enclave CXL

My toy: '02 Avalanche w/4.10's - Magnacharged w/3" pulley, 2600 stall, built tranny, 216/224-0.551"/0.551-115 LSA cam, headers, HP Tuners self tuned

Daily driver: 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited w/Special Appearance Pkg
copperbeech

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 05:47:24 PM »

ou might pull the drain plug (does the Enclave have one; I haven't looked yet) and refill at 30K miles. That would replace somewhere around 1/4-1/3 of the fluid.

Yes it does and what you are describing is what I posted a few people above wink. See here for pic(s) and detail:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=5311.0
IMHIP2
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 12:37:15 AM »

I was thinking of changing the tranny fluid at 50,000Km but when I checked it the other day it looked just fine with 45,000Km.

Now the power steering fluid on the other hand was shoot and smelt burnt so I did change it and it seems to have made a difference in drivability.

And the owners manual is correct in its conversion Kids, 32oC is 89.6oF

2008 Enclave CXL FWD Red Jewel Ebony 8 pass - everything but Nav - June 08 build - May 08 reflash, 19" Chromes & 19" 15 spokes with snows, weather tech digital front and rear mats

Jan 09 New - 80,000km and attended the 2010 Delta tour
cableguy
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 11:02:13 AM »

Sounds like your Stealerships kids need new shoes!  A HUGE waste of money and very disappointing that they would even suggest this.  Personally, I would never go back to them as they have confirmed my fear of being money hungry and not doing what's in my or my vehicles best interest flaming mad
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 11:06:20 AM by cableguy » Logged

2010 Diamond White Tricoat Enclave CXL2 AWD loaded with NAV; DVD Entertainment; 20" Chrome Wheels; Sun Roof w/Rear Skylight; Luxury, Convenience, Hit the Road & Towing Packages plus 3M paint protection.  Tan Leather with Captain's Chairs in 2nd row.

"Old" Clave was an 08 CXL AWD Loaded w/34K mile
rblt

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 04:56:26 PM »

I visited a different dealership for the oil change and tire rotation last week.  I didn't ask about the 25K light trans flush and they didn't suggest it.  They suggested a "semi-annual inspection service" at next visit, which interestingly enough is six months out, based on the oil change reminder sticker they put in the window.  It reads 19-Oct-2010, and I thought they forgot to note a mileage to have the oil next changed, but then noticed it says "20%OL".  I have done oil changes in the 70-75% range, this past one was 51%, doubt I will ever wait until 20%.

2009 Enclave CX FWD Cocoa/Cashmere, 8 passenger, Sunroof, Leather, Towing, Running Boards
kidsenclave
Enclave GOD!

Trying to please 100% of people 100% of the time.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 06:49:03 PM »

I visited a different dealership for the oil change and tire rotation last week.  I didn't ask about the 25K light trans flush and they didn't suggest it.  They suggested a "semi-annual inspection service" at next visit, which interestingly enough is six months out, based on the oil change reminder sticker they put in the window.  It reads 19-Oct-2010, and I thought they forgot to note a mileage to have the oil next changed, but then noticed it says "20%OL".  I have done oil changes in the 70-75% range, this past one was 51%, doubt I will ever wait until 20%.
why not?  is the system supposed to give an oil change reminder at 0%, or is it more like 10%?  I would think you could go to 10%, it means there's 10% life before the oil is too dirty to protect properly.  AT least that's how I would understand the percent system.  Changing it at 51%....you are missing almost half the life of the oil, and in fact would be changing it twice as often as needed, costing you twice as much.  I think anything below 20%, go ahead....but seems to me it's wasteful to get them done more often than that, but it's your money your choice.  No different than filling your gas tank after it's a quarter down, or half down.....but you CAN go till it's much emptier than that, but I wouldn't recommend, especially in winter, you go with less then a 1/8 tank...because of possible fuel pump damage.  (Just what I've heard on that one.)

2009 Enclave CX FWD 8 passenger, silver green metallic, ebony cloth, driver's conf. package, tow package.  (Was an order, built July 28th 2008, delivered to us July 31st 2008)
2014 Ford Escape SE 4wd sunset, wife's vehicle, our first Ford
1972 Pontiac GTO.  Owned since 1998

GO GREEN!
cableguy
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 10:21:49 AM »

kids...I understand what you're saying but 10-20% on the OLM could mean in excess of 10K miles and with a DI engine that's "hard" on oil, letting it go more than 5-6K miles even on synthetic oil is asking for trouble IMHO.  In addition, if you are uning DINO oil, I wouldn't let it go past 3-4K even if the OLM says I am only at 70%.  Some of you put WAAAAAY to much faith in the OLM...it does NOT do any chemical evaluation of your oil or oil analysis...it only monitors how that car has been driven and makes "pre-programmed" assumptions as to the condition of your oil.  If you use fully synthetic oil (Mobil 1) like I have done for the past 10 years, 5-6K in a Clave is plenty and, IMO, 7500 miles is even pushing it but everyone on the forum needs to make their own decisions and live with them too blob

My suggestion is to totally IGNORE the OLM...it's a gimick and a highly inaccurate one at that Oh No

2010 Diamond White Tricoat Enclave CXL2 AWD loaded with NAV; DVD Entertainment; 20" Chrome Wheels; Sun Roof w/Rear Skylight; Luxury, Convenience, Hit the Road & Towing Packages plus 3M paint protection.  Tan Leather with Captain's Chairs in 2nd row.

BadAV
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 10:50:59 AM »

My suggestion is to totally IGNORE the OLM...it's a gimick and a highly inaccurate one at that Oh No

I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. While the OLM does not specifically measure the condition of the oil, GM spent a lot of and time money developing the OLM algorithm BASED ON monitoring of the oil condition. My guess is that the problem is simply that the algorithm needs to be adjusted whenever new engine technology, such as DI, is adopted to the mass market. And that's where GM is falling short.

My toy: '02 Avalanche w/4.10's - Magnacharged w/3" pulley, 2600 stall, built tranny, 216/224-0.551"/0.551-115 LSA cam, headers, HP Tuners self tuned

bocoogto

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 01:06:31 PM »

Changing tranny fluid at 15,000 miles, IMO, based on experience is beyond ridiculous.  Of the 20+ GM cars I've owned, none of them had the trans fluid changed before 75,000 miles.  In all those 20+ cars, there was one transmission failure--on a '69 Pontiac wagon while towing a race car in 90 degree weather.  Looking at and smelling the fluid on the dipstick every few months is perfectly adequate. 

As for engine oil, why not rely on the vehicle's OLM?  With my '09 Enclave with 20,500 miles, oil life has been about 8500 miles with the type of driving I do--mostly highway.  It's been changed twice since it was new and the oil looks very clean, showing 80% life on the OLM.   

I know there are still some that change engine oil every 3,000 miles.  These same people would probably grease the front suspension at the same interval, but there are no longer grease fittings.  We used to have to change brake shoes and tires by 20,000 miles, but technology has improved in those areas as well as the longevity of lubricants.   

These engines and transmissions are warranted for 100,000 miles.  Do you really think GM can refuse a warranty claim if you've followed THEIR recommendations on oil changes?  They certainly opted on the safe side for change intervals with the OLM and printed manual. 

2009 CXL FWD with Tow Pkg.  Red Jewel Tintcoat '09 purchased 10/08.  Traded '04 GTO and '07 Grand Prix GXP.  Getting Old?
cableguy
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 02:29:42 PM »

Boco...I am not questioning what GM says...
Do you really think GM can refuse a warranty claim if you've followed THEIR recommendations on oil changes?
  It's not the refusal of a warranty work I would be concerned about but having to need warranty service in the first place.  Please allow me to say that I am certainly NOT one of those people that believe every car needs a 3K mile oil change...far the opposite.  However, the DI engine is well known to be very hard on oil and this is one vehicle where I would not let conventional DINO go beyond 4-5K miles and suggest that even with full synthetic to go 7500 is pushing it to the limit.  If you like your OLM and feel comfortable having a warranty that will replace your engine or its components, that's all well and good.  But for me, personally, I try to avoid unnecessary wear and concerns but being a little more proactive in how I treat my vehicles...especially one with known issues related to extreme oil wear.

BadAV
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 03:24:40 PM »

I'm on my fourth oil change and we've got 22k on the clock; since mine's an 08 I don't have the DI engine. I use full synthetic oil and premium filters; the furthest I've let the OLM go was 20%. This change was basically done after a vacation trip and was all highway mileage. I agree that it's safer to err on the conservative side, especially since we tend to keep our vehicles for many years.

izzycohen

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 02:10:12 AM »

The dealer's recommendation to get a transmission flush at 15,000 is a signal to run for the nearest exit, and don't return.
When I got my first car, in 1967, the accepted practice was to change oil every 2,000 miles.  At some point it became 3,000 miles. 
My practice is to change oil in the 5,000-6,000 mile range.  Most of my miles are road miles.  The business of accepting what the car
tells you to do may very well be good adivce.  I don't know.

2010 CXL, AWD, White Opal w/Ebony interior.  Rosen navigation.
gig229

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 02:38:00 AM »

I can speak from personal experience on my other car...My wife's 2004 Ford Mustang automatic uses Mercon V fluid - different stuff from Dexron IV that is used in the Enclave but same principle.  After about 37,000 miles, I decided to change the automatic transmission fluid even though Ford says you can go 100,000 miles.  I changed the filter, and replaced the fluid that came out of the transmission pan then did the following to flush the rest:

1) I hooked up a clear plastic tube from the transmission outlet hose to a bucket (I disconnected it from the radiator and put the clear tube over it and lightly clamped it to the trans outlet tube).  I had previously marked the bucket in one quart increments.

2) I had my dad start the car, and as transmission fluid came out into the bucket, I filled fluid through the transmission dipstick tube.  I had my dad stop the car at 2 quart increments so I can catch up.

3) I did this until I flushed the rest of the fluid capacity + 2 extra quarts to ensure all the fluid was flushed.  After, I rechecked the level and added enough so it would be within the full hot zone.

This was one of the easiest jobs I did.  I have to tell you, at 37,000 miles the fluid was dirty!  The pan was dirty as well with some very fine filings (normal wear) from the clutches most likely.  I used Mobil 1 full synthetic ATF which was suitable for Mercon V.  After I did this, the transmission shifted smoother and more consistently.  It made a difference.  There's no way I would ever let the transmission fluid go for 100,000 miles.  If I did, no doubt I would have problems.  It's best to error on the conservative side; fluid is much cheaper than a new transmission.  I think you could probably wait until 30,000 miles, though.

Also, DO NOT let the dealer use a flush machine unless they are using the one specified by GM.  This can ruin a transmission if done incorrectly.  If you just drained and refilled, ran the car, then did this again it would probably be sufficient and you can do it yourself much cheaper.

2009 Enclave CX Gold Mist FWD, Bose stereo, Driver confidence pkg.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories