Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
October 31, 2014, 05:01:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: See that little gray camera icon in a member's post? Click it to go directly to their Photo Gallery

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P2070 DIAGNOSTIC CODE  (Read 12928 times, 14 Replies)
GSEREP1

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2010, 10:38:40 PM »

Hello,
   Has anyone else ever had the engine code P2070 and the check engine light? I got it last night while on a trip from Los Angeles to Concord, California. The car ran fine all the time, but the light wouldn't go off. I thought it was a loose gas cap since my wife just filled the car about 40 miles earlier. She stopped and retightened the cap again, but it never fixed itself.

The dealership says it is for the INTAKE MANIFOLD TUNING VALVE. Mine was stuck open, so they want to replace it. I did some research, and found out that this valve opens and closes on driver demand to give crisper acceleration. When the valve is closed, the manifold acts as though it was one piece, and gives good driveability at slow speeds. But when the driver accelerates, the valve opens and splits the manifold into 2 pieces and gives more air to the engine for high speed. When they stick open it is becauseof the carbon buildup in the intake manifold. It could also be from bad gas, but they say excess carbon is the usual culprit. I guess I wil have to clean the intake manifold more than I have been.

This engine has a lot of PCV engine oil coming back into the throttle body. I always clean it out when I check my air filter. I can't say I like this very much. I notice the oil down inside the throttle body when I take off the black intake hose. This is the only car I've ever seen this in. I sent pictures of this oil when I first got my vehicle, and they said that it was normal. I found out that this engine was made by Isuzu in Japan and was adapted to our application. I've learned so much about this lately.

If you have over 50,000 miles like I do (66,000 miles), the extended warranty will have to pick it up. Luckily I bought it, and it is good until 111,000 miles since it was a certified vehicle when I bought it with 11,000 miles on it. I think I still have a $100.00 deductible, but I am at a loss as to how I can prevent it from happening again. I don't want it to happen again after my warranty has expired.

This is just something I think we should be aware of. I did research using GOOGLE and BING, and I believe that only the GMC ACADIA has had a posting or two about this code in this kind of vehicle. Please keep an eye out. I have the service manuals on this so I think I'll check it out tonight.

oh well, one engine code is not so bad I guess, but I still don't like it because I don't use cheap gas in my car.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:24:46 AM by GSEREP1 » Logged
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 10:46:44 PM »

...I found out that this engine was made by Isuzu in Japan and was adapted to our application...

Really? Where did you get this information? Huh?

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
GSEREP1

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 11:08:28 PM »

Maybe I should correct myself. Here is the link I used. The engine is built around the world by various manufacturers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine.  The Holden company in Australia, Alfa -Romeo, and Suzuki (not ISUZU) make it.

Sorry for the misinformation.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 11:16:26 PM by GSEREP1 » Logged
rocketman

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 11:18:50 PM »

Hello,
   Has anyone else ever had the engine code P2070 and the check engine light? I got it last night while on a trip from Los Angeles to Concord, California. The car ran fine all the time, but the light wouldn't go off. I thought it was a loose gas cap since my wife just filled the car about 40 miles earlier. She stopped and retightened the cap again, but it never fixed itself.

The dealership says it is for the INTAKE MANIFOLD TUNING VALVE. Mine was stuck open, so they want to replace it. I did some rewsearch, and found out that this valve opens and closes on driver demand to give crisper acceleration. When the valve is closed, the manifold acts as though it was one piece, and give good driveability at slow speeds. But when the driver accelerates, the valve opens and splits the manifold into 2 pieces and gives more air to the engine for high speed. Whenthey stick open it is becauseof the carbon buildup in the intake manifold. It could also be from bad gas, but they say excess carbon is the usual culprit. I guess I wil have to clean the intake manifold more than I have been.

This engine has a lot of PCV engine oil coming back into the throttle body. I always clean it out when I check my air filter. I can't say I like this very much. I notice the oil down inside the throttle body when I take poff the black intake hose. This is the only car I've ever seen this. I sent pictures of this oil when I first got my vehicle, and they said that it was normal. I foundout that this engine was made by Isuzu in Japan and was adapted to our application. I've learned so much about this lately.

If you have over 50,000 miles like I do (66,000 miles), the extended warranty will have to pick it up. Luckily I bought it, and it is good until 111,000 miles since it was a certified vehicle when I bought it with 11,000 miles on it. I think I still have a $100.00 deductible, but I am at a loss as to how I can prevent it from happening again. I don't want it to happen again after my warranty has expired.

This is just something I tyhink we sould be aware of. I did research using GOOGLE and BING, and I believe that only the GMC ACADIA has had a posting or two about this code in this kind of vehicle. Please keep an eye out. I have the service manuals on this so I think I'll check itout tonight.

oh well, one engine code is not so bad I guess, but I still don't like it because i don't use cheap gas in my car.

GSEREP1, Nobody uses cheap Gas. Ha! Just kidding. I hope you and Family are doing ok. Rocketman Cool

Sep 08 2008 Traded  Immaculate 08 Enclave WDT CXL AWD with 2180 mi, for a 2009 CXL, White Diamond, FWD, Cashmere Interior,Fully Loaded,  Rear Console, Cooled Seats,Ent #4 and 19" Chrome with Hit the Road Pkg.
2011 Buick Lacrosse CXS, fully Loaded with Sun Roof and Rear DVD's,WDT/Cashmere.
wait4me
Enclave GOD!

Southern Cal

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 11:28:15 PM »

Suzuki builds the engine under license from GM for its XL7, but I don't think that Isuzu has ever had anything to do with it...  Huh?

Owned one Isuzu some years back, and one was more than enough...  Oh No

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine

2011 Audi Q7; 2009 Audi A8L
2008 Enclave CXL - still in family - sold to son
ccaats
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 12:13:26 AM »

Sorry to hear about your problem, but you need to be pretty careful about mis-leading information.  If you read that wiki entry, it CLEARLY states that this is an engine completely designed and engineered by GM (Holden is a GM company, just like Opel, Vauxhall, etc).  GM has "licensed" the engine technology to be built by Suzuki in Japan, Alfa Romeo in Europe etc.....but to make it sound like this engine was first built by Suzuki in Japan and then adapted for the US, is wholely incorrect.

History

The HFV6 was first designed, tested and produced in a joint team by Cadillac and Holden. A majority of design into the new alloy construction, transmission pairing and first use in production were all undertaken in Detroit (and manufactured in St. Catharines). Holden had the job of developing smaller engines (Holden 3.2, LP1 and LP9 Turbo) as well as their own Holden 3.6 HFV6 (called the Alloytec V6) for local models.

Cadillac and Holden both tested variations of these engines in US and Australia. North America and Australia remain the only two places that manufacture the HFV6.

Lambda1: 2008 Red Jewel Tintcoat Enclave CXL AWD, Cashmere/Cocoa Interior, Driver Confidence, Luxury Pkg, Towing, DVD/Navigation, 19" Chrome Wheels, Sunroof.

Lambda2: 2008 Deep Blue Metallic Acadia SLT-2 FWD, Titanium Leather, Sunroof, Towing, Hit The Road Pkg. 150K miles in 9/14!
ccaats
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 12:16:41 AM »

This engine has a lot of PCV engine oil coming back into the throttle body. I always clean it out when I check my air filter. I can't say I like this very much. I notice the oil down inside the throttle body when I take poff the black intake hose.

I do wonder, however, if this doesn't explain why we see so darn much soot on our tailpipes in these vehicles?  I have noticed the same thing on Acura's as well, for what it's worth.

Lambda1: 2008 Red Jewel Tintcoat Enclave CXL AWD, Cashmere/Cocoa Interior, Driver Confidence, Luxury Pkg, Towing, DVD/Navigation, 19" Chrome Wheels, Sunroof.

Lambda2: 2008 Deep Blue Metallic Acadia SLT-2 FWD, Titanium Leather, Sunroof, Towing, Hit The Road Pkg. 150K miles in 9/14!
GSEREP1

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 02:31:21 AM »

I did my best to correct myself on the Isuzu issue. Not very much else I can say afterwards now can I? Sorry is all I can do. The engine is powerful and strong and I love it. I just wished this was not happening. I've had other vehicles with a setup like this and I haven't had this issue.

I've had 2 Taurus SHO's with the Yamaha engine, and my current Lexus GS400 also has it. I said it all so you can be aware that this problem can happen to you. I'm not the first one, and I'm sure I won't be the last one. I wished I knew how we could avoid it.
AA/78U
Enclave Freak

Acadia God

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 11:01:23 AM »

and I believe that only the GMC ACADIA has had a posting or two about this code in this kind of vehicle. Please keep an eye out. I have the service manuals on this so I think I'll check it out tonight.

Attached are pics of my intake I took during an air filter change on my 07 Acadia with ~47K miles

07 FWD 4SA 78U  thumbs up,
ABC,AP3,BS1,CJ2,C3U,DLT,DS3,E61,IP2,KA1,KV1,NP5,PCM,PDC,PDD,RCA,UV6,U42,V08,V92,XA7
Blue-Gold & SLT1 President
8 Star Acadia God
Traverse moderator
Second Fastest Enclave freak: 73 days
Member # 4921
GSEREP1

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 01:50:51 AM »

Terrible isn't it? That oil can't be good for the catalytic converter either. It is no wonder there is carbon in the intake. As long as we have oil like this coming into the intake, I am confident that this code will come back again after the car is out of warranty. I don't know how we can avoid it.

I have heard that the Intake Manifold Tuning Valve can be cleaned on some vehicle. Since I am out of town and wasn't there to ask, I wonder why the dealership didn't try to clean it before replacing it?  My wife brought it in and all she wants is the car working right.

I asked how much GMPP was paying for this part, and I heard it was something like $300 dollars. If I was home I think I'd have tried to clean it first.

Oh well!
BSDeez16

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 10:03:35 AM »

I have had this same code w/the check engine light twice now but both times it seems to have fixed itself.

So this is something not covered under the powertrain warranty?  Why is that?  Isn't it directly related to the engine?  Huh?

2007 SLT-2 AWD | White Diamond | Titanium | Dual Skyscape | 2-2-3 | HUD | 19" | Rear DVD | Trailering | Roof Rack w/Cross Rails | Canvasback Cargo Liner | WeatherTech Floorliners | ProClip | AlphaTherm HW | JL Audio 8" W3v3 Sub and J2 250.1 Amp | Xtreme HID 6500k
GSEREP1

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 03:20:10 PM »

That is the question I have. I am on the road, and this should be emission related. The powertrain warranty covers the big ticket items like Engine Block, Transmission, Differential and such. Since I am in California, the emission warranty should be in effect until this car has 8 years or 8-,000 miles on it.

I'm calling the dealership and GM before this repair gets done.

I'll keep everyone posted!
senkler

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 09:35:04 PM »

Did you get this resolved?  Having the issue on my '08 Enclave (have had it a week and 2 days).  Error indicates intake manifold tuning valve stuck open on bank 1.  I have extended warranty but wondering if covered under Powertran.
vintrepid

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 03:34:24 PM »

Hi, I just want to share my experiences with this P2070 code.

Mine is a '08 Enclave CXL with now about 111000 kms (or about 69000 miles) on it. It got the 1st P2070 code at about the 102000 kms mark. Initial thought was a fuel issue (used regular 87 grade from Costco) and switched to using premium 91 gas (also from Costco) and the code when off after about 1-1/2 tankful. The trouble code returned when I switched back to regular gas and was going on-off even when I switched fuel grades.

At about 105000 km mark, the code stayed on at all times. Used Sea-foam on the air intake manifold and the code when off but only for a couple of days then it came on again.

Not wanting to removed the whole intake manifold for cleaning, I found this attachment one end of the intake manifold and suspect it's the intake manifold tuning valve (flap) and removed it. Found it dirtied with oil/dust. Cleaned with carburetor cleaner and applied some grease at the ends where it seats into a groove inside the intake manifold. Since then, the code had stayed off and I believe the problem has been fixed. Below are some photos taken of the tuning valve.

Hope this is helpful. Thanks.

GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 03:44:37 PM »

thumbs up Thanks for the illustrated repair advice.

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories