Enclaveforum.net Bookmark and Share
May 29, 2017, 09:19:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Enclave Sales Numbers:     Mar: 4,899      YTD Total: 14,445     All Time: 187,013   (graph)

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dogs, and what they cost  (Read 55130 times, 278 Replies)
john 070
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: March 24, 2016, 08:02:55 AM »

Funny since our dog passed away last August, I do not have the desire to get another--usually, given my personality, when I lose something, I want to replace it immediately.  Not with a dog, I guess.  With what the vet charged the last 5 yrs., I'm not even sure I could afford one.  But, at some point, I would like to get another.

'11 CXL1 AWD, white diamond, navi, sunroof, NE emissions
rbarrios
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: March 24, 2016, 11:45:38 AM »

Any snow left?

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    60,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-  127,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-180,000
Sailfish
Enclave GOD!

Volunteer with Sheltie rescue organizations

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: March 24, 2016, 01:12:16 PM »

Any snow left?

No snow.  Today it is windy and rain expected this afternoon into this evening.

Just in time for our crazy gang to get their paws all muddy.  Bath towel ready at the patio door to wipe their feet when they come inside.

15 Infiniti Q50 Graphite Shadow AWD purchase 6/1/15 - Husbands
11 Enclave CXL2 WDT FWD 20" Wheels build 11/10 purchase 2/22/11 - Mine
03 Saturn VUE V6 AWD - donated to St Vincent de Paul 6/4/2015

Albert Einstein - "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow."
SCBEARS FAN

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: March 24, 2016, 04:29:40 PM »

Sail don't mean to rub it in, but it's 70 and sunny in SC.

How long did it take you before you brought home your new pup?

My son and granddaughter took us to the humane society the Friday after Thanksgiving and we brought home a new "cocker' mix pup. After further review the mix part of her is Lab and no trace of cocker can be seen, although she is on the smaller side. As good as our other 2 dogs were she is soooo naughty, but then she lays down all sweet like You gotta love me.

2014 Enclave - Leather
FWD, Iridium Metallic
Sunroof
Bose Audio with NAV
19 inch Chrome Wheels
Sailfish
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: March 24, 2016, 07:21:17 PM »

Sail don't mean to rub it in, but it's 70 and sunny in SC.

How long did it take you before you brought home your new pup?

My son and granddaughter took us to the humane society the Friday after Thanksgiving and we brought home a new "cocker' mix pup. After further review the mix part of her is Lab and no trace of cocker can be seen, although she is on the smaller side. As good as our other 2 dogs were she is soooo naughty, but then she lays down all sweet like You gotta love me.

Tomorrow it will be sunny.  Just had 2 rounds of heavy rain roll through.  Still pretty windy here.

I have found that many humane society organizations have a hard time identifying what breeds are mixed within a puppy.  Unless they know anything about the background they are just guessing.  I had our local animal shelter identify one of the dogs they took in as a Sheltie.  I was sent by the rescue to see about pulling the dog.  It was more of a Border Collie with a mix of a Beagle mixed in with it.  Since the rescue is breed specific, we contacted another rescue to see about pulling them pulling the dog.

As for how long to wait, guess it depends on you.  When our Sheltie, Mikey, died from cancer, we only waited a couple months before looking for another Sheltie.  Of course we didn't have any other dogs in the house, just Siamese cats.  We ended up with the boys, Jake and Elwood.

When we brought in Miss Lady GaGa as a forever foster, forever because of her age and that she was deaf, it took a while for the boys to realize that they couldn't run right over her.  She always let the boys know when they were too rough on her.

Now as for Missy Serenity our new girl, it was about 6 weeks between when Miss Lady GaGa passed and I adopted Missy Serenity from the rescue group I volunteer with.  Didn't take long before the 3 started playing and having fun.  I will admit that Jake, the smaller one, was a tad bit intimidated.  He would jump onto the sofa and try and wriggle in behind me or my husband if Missy Serenity was playing too rough.

What is interesting is Missy Serenity being deaf, I believe the boys realize that she has a disability.  Elwood tends to watch for her when I call for them to come inside.  He will stand and look and once she notices them at the door, she comes bounding in from the yard. 

She has picked up on their routine, bed time the boys know when to head to their cages and she does the same thing.  When my husband and I go out to dinner, they know to head to their cages.  No we do not permit them to roam freely around the house.  Especially the new girl.  LOL she has totally destroyed two pair of my husband shoes. He now parks his shoes at the bottom of the steps to the lower level, before he opens the door.

Each dog and each situation is different.  Hopefully your new one will eventually grow out of her naughtiness. Good luck!

Sailfish
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: March 25, 2016, 06:01:13 AM »

that's what I thought.  The older cat (popcorn) goes to the basement during the day and gets to sleep in our bed at night time.  The kitten (snickers) and dog (cupcake, yes there is a food theme here) get the house during the day.  I am hopefull one day everyone will just get along.  When we got the pup, I told my wife that popcorn probably just woke up from a nap thinking, "there's a disturbance in the force" sorry Star Wars fan here.

gostate, I was just thinking and thought I would ask, did your cat, popcorn, ever make up with the new addition to the house? 

SCBEARS FAN

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: March 25, 2016, 07:58:55 AM »

Our older dog the King Charles Cavalier is deaf also. We thought she would be top dog when we brought home the puppy, boy were we wrong. She would growl at the pup and the pup would ignore her. It's really strange when they go out in the morning they're fine but during the day if they go out together the pup body slams poor Callie. It's a good thing she has the Lab's soft mouth she put our cat's head ind her mouth when they play.

2014 Enclave - Leather
FWD, Iridium Metallic
Sunroof
Bose Audio with NAV
19 inch Chrome Wheels
Sailfish
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: March 25, 2016, 09:53:08 AM »

Our older dog the King Charles Cavalier is deaf also. We thought she would be top dog when we brought home the puppy, boy were we wrong. She would growl at the pup and the pup would ignore her. It's really strange when they go out in the morning they're fine but during the day if they go out together the pup body slams poor Callie. It's a good thing she has the Lab's soft mouth she put our cat's head ind her mouth when they play.

She may yet.  Bet she is just trying to figure things out and of course she probably knows it is only a puppy.  

Missy Serenity tried to assume the top dog in this house, not realizing that I am the alpha of all three.  LOL...but then Elwood put her in her place a couple times, doggy dust-ups no harm.  She decided....better leave the bigger dog alone.  Perhaps that is when she started to really work on intimidating Jake.  I kept tell Jake to get her, don't let her think she is your boss.  Now they just run run run run in the yard AND in the lower level playing.  I find it amusing when Missy Serenity gets to running the length of the lower level, with an all tile floor, she skids way more than our boys do.

SCBEARS FAN

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: March 25, 2016, 12:44:08 PM »

Shelby is now 6 months old and is pushing 40 lbs and is about 20 inches at the shoulders, Callie is 12 years old 26 lbs and 18 inches, she tries to assert herself but Shelby ignores her. We'll have 4 rawhide chips out and each dog wants the one that the other one has. If Callie has one of the chips Shelby will nonchalantly lay by her and roll over the chip so Callie has to move then she grabs it and runs. Then she'll come back and shake it in Callie's face.

2014 Enclave - Leather
FWD, Iridium Metallic
Sunroof
Bose Audio with NAV
19 inch Chrome Wheels
Sailfish
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: March 25, 2016, 04:14:17 PM »

Shelby is now 6 months old and is pushing 40 lbs and is about 20 inches at the shoulders, Callie is 12 years old 26 lbs and 18 inches, she tries to assert herself but Shelby ignores her. We'll have 4 rawhide chips out and each dog wants the one that the other one has. If Callie has one of the chips Shelby will nonchalantly lay by her and roll over the chip so Callie has to move then she grabs it and runs. Then she'll come back and shake it in Callie's face.

LOL that has happened here with the boys.  We would give each one a rawhide chip.  Elwood would drop his go over and stand by Jake until Jake looked up and "gone".  So then Jake would get Elwood's.  That seemed to settle them down.

Since we have Serenity, we can only give each treats in their own cages.  Serenity is really food and treat motivated to the point she gets upset if someone is eating or snacking on a treat and hers is gone.

SCBEARS FAN

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: March 25, 2016, 05:33:07 PM »

It's been 12 years since we've had  puppy in the house and the Cav was a really good pup. We had a 10 year old Beagle and she house broke her and taught her manners. Shelby has 2 15 - 20 minutes a day where she goes absolutely nutso. running through the house, roughhousing with Callie and the cat.

2014 Enclave - Leather
FWD, Iridium Metallic
Sunroof
Bose Audio with NAV
19 inch Chrome Wheels
Sailfish
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: March 26, 2016, 01:45:09 AM »

It's been 12 years since we've had  puppy in the house and the Cav was a really good pup. We had a 10 year old Beagle and she house broke her and taught her manners. Shelby has 2 15 - 20 minutes a day where she goes absolutely nutso. running through the house, roughhousing with Callie and the cat.

LOL sounds like a lab for you.   She will eventually settle down.  We also never had any puppies until the boys. 

Our first Sheltie, Sophie, was 5 when we got her from a woman who didn't have time for her.

Our second Sheltie, Mikey, was a year old.  We got him when the family decided they made a mistake in getting him for their daughter.  She wasn't interested and their lives were too busy.  He was already house broke.  He did though have some "racing through the house" tendencies.  Lasted about a year....

The boys were a handful when we brought them home when they were 8 weeks old.  I stayed in the family room several nights making sure they knew to use the "P" pads and transitioned them to do their business outside.

They are 8 years old and I am seeing the gray creeping in on their noses.

SCBEARS FAN

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: March 26, 2016, 09:35:36 AM »

Shelby was 8 weeks old when we brought her home. She only had 1 night when she woke up at 2 in the morning from then on she slept until 5:30. Out side of a dew accidents, she wouldn't go outside if it was raining (a Lab that doesn't like water go figure) LOL she's been really good.
Less than a week after we got her she tested positive for Parvo and was hospitalized for 2 days so the wife spoiled her when she came home and now she thinks she' a 40 lb lapdog.

2014 Enclave - Leather
FWD, Iridium Metallic
Sunroof
Bose Audio with NAV
19 inch Chrome Wheels
Sailfish
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: March 26, 2016, 11:47:15 AM »

Shelby was 8 weeks old when we brought her home. She only had 1 night when she woke up at 2 in the morning from then on she slept until 5:30. Out side of a dew accidents, she wouldn't go outside if it was raining (a Lab that doesn't like water go figure) LOL she's been really good.
Less than a week after we got her she tested positive for Parvo and was hospitalized for 2 days so the wife spoiled her when she came home and now she thinks she' a 40 lb lapdog.

Shocked 

Elwood is a BIG boy for a Sheltie.  Trying to remember his weight last time at the vet, at least 35lbs, if not more.  He will get up on the sofa next to me and insist on putting his front paws on my thigh standing to look me in the face...OMG talk about pain!!!!

Yea a lab not liking water, that is a hard one to figure out.  Our boys love the water.  Sure we don't have a pond or lake for them, but just let my husband get out the hose and turn the spray on, they are BARKING up a storm and running through the spray.  It is a hoot to watch.  Of course all fun and games until it is time for them to come in and have to grab the towels to dry them off.  Haven't tried this with our new girl.  But, summer is right around the corner, maybe that is.

SCBEARS FAN

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: March 26, 2016, 04:28:16 PM »

Aren't Shelties normally the size of a King Charles Cav, around 16 - 18 inches and 20 - 25 lbs.

Neither Sandi or Callie cared for the rain either. We had them trained so that when it was raining out they would come in the back door and sit on a towel and let us dry off their grinch paws and dry them off, with Shelby you can't even tell if she's wet or not her coat shed water so fast.

2014 Enclave - Leather
FWD, Iridium Metallic
Sunroof
Bose Audio with NAV
19 inch Chrome Wheels
Sailfish
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: March 26, 2016, 05:17:44 PM »

Many breeders work on breeding smaller and smaller Shelties.  They actually come in all sizes.  Elwood is the biggest Sheltie I have ever seen.  Even the director of the rescue group has said as such.  I knew he would be big when we brought him home.  He had HUGE paws and still does.  Jake's are a lot smaller.

We looked at 5 boys when we were trying to decide on 1.  Could not make up our minds.  The boys were big chunky to much smaller ones.  Elwood was not the biggest and that one never budged.  Elwood took a liking to my husband's shoes and was chewing on them.  Jake, he decided that he liked my purse and was trying to drag it around room, of course it was too heavy.

My husband picked up Elwood and I picked up Jake.  AND we both asked at the same time, "which one".  AND of course the rest is history, we picked both.  Their paperwork has them as being from the same litter.  We saw their Father and Mother while we were there.  The Father had less black in his fur, more of a true sable. They actually had shown him and had ribbons and certificates and such on the walls.  The Mother, Jake is the exact image of her. 

SCBEARS FAN

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: March 26, 2016, 05:58:14 PM »

Before we moved down to SC I promised my wife we would get a King Charles Cav when we got here. In December we found a breeder that just had a litter and had a puppy on hold for a family hat were due to pick her after Christmas but they said they didn't want her anymore so we got Callie almost 13 years ago.

We have a big flea market in town and someone was giving away a Daschund/Springer mix and if no one took her they going to take her to the pond, when I knelt down she nuzzeled up to me so I couldn't say no to her. That was my Sandi.

And then there's Shelby !!!  Smiley

2014 Enclave - Leather
FWD, Iridium Metallic
Sunroof
Bose Audio with NAV
19 inch Chrome Wheels
cfedor
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: July 15, 2016, 07:13:12 PM »

Here's a deal/sale for you! 60% off  Promo code: LOVE
https://www.treatadog.com/collections/travel/products/pupprotector-car-seat-cover

HIS: 2008 Enclave CXL AWD Red Jewel/Titanium Leather, Premium package 19" Chrome 7-spoke, AM/FM/CD/DVD/NAV 10 speaker Bose, LED upgrades inside and out.  127K Miles

HERS: 2009 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD Black/Tan Loaded. 95K Miles
MONK

JESUS FREAK

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: May 19, 2017, 07:30:31 AM »

Old thread, new member.  It is what it is.

My last 2 dogs were purebred (not that it matters in the slightest) German Shepherds.  Just like human kids, I never tried to figure out what the monthly cost was because it just didn't matter.  $1, $1k or $1M.  I wouldn't have given up either of them no matter what the cost was.  They were family.  I miss them like crazy, even 10 years later.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories