Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
August 30, 2014, 10:25:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Enclave? Check out the all new Cadillac SRX at http://www.SRXForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Enclave Pros & Cons  (Read 10903 times, 105 Replies)
pgstinson

Ignore
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:45:23 AM »

1200 kms and here are my Pros & Cons

Pros:  Quiet, smooth riding, attractive, functional, solid, great stereo, great functionality if you have the NAV system, great design, like the concept of onstar, ipod interface is great and hidden, electric side mirrors are a god-sent, the cooling of the front seats is actually very good... shocked as I thought it was a gimmick initially.  Over-all this vehicle would be spectacular if they addressed some of the cons below.
Cons:  Rear seats recline very little, 3rd don't recline at all, ceiling entertainment housing is cheap, no privacy blinds on rear windows, NAV system screen a bit small, no rain sensor wipers, no off switch for the heated side view mirrors, no front parking sensors, no protective side mouldings, no glove box light, rear parking cam continually get dirty, wish all the woodgrain matched the steering wheel, the sliding compartment under the front armrest is great but the cover is a dust collector, the rear console is stupid as it replaces the armrests but without it there is no storage in the back for DVDs & headphones, different color clading at the bottom of vehicle has got to go - looks okay on some colors, need rear seat butt warmers, only a sun screen on the sunroofs... a padded piece would be better.
sciond
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 12:37:36 PM »

I agree with most of it except the nav and bluetooth are horribly outdated at best. I also think the stereo is average and could really use some more bass and overall volume to quiet the wind noise. Also needs foot well lighting, more outlets, one touch windows all the way around, and rear lock switches, and overall better quality materials for its very high price tag

2010 MB ML350 Bluetec
2011 Enclave Gold Mist CXl-2-Nav,Sun, HTR.20's(SOLD)
2013 Explorer Sport 3 rows seating and fast
2015 SQ5 on Order
Uncle_B

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 12:59:31 PM »

I agree with both previous posts about the NAVI. It is great how it integrates the bluetooth phone and ipod controls, but it is just horribly un-intuitive. It seems like most modern day electronics function in a way that a user can easily navigate and change settings without needing to read any instructions. With the Enclaves navigation, I experimented, I read the instructions and I still get stuck sometimes when I need to change/set something. And this is coming from an IT guy....

I also agree with most of the cons from the first post. At least the ones I can comment on since I don't have the sunroofs or rear center console. However, I would consider all of these issues minor and I think the pros outweigh the cons. Otherwise, why would we own these cars? ;-)

2011 Buick Enclave AWD/CXL-1
White Diamond with Cashmere interior
Entertainment package with DVD and Navi
kidsenclave
Enclave GOD!

Trying to please 100% of people 100% of the time.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 01:05:52 PM »

I could make it real simple: 

Pros: Technology
Cons: Technology

These vehicles are great when they work, but very hard to put up with when they don't.  Talking about transmissions that just stop working because of electronics, not to mention the whole issues over shift patterns of the 6-speed (better technology) trannys, batteries go dead because of too much electronic drain, sensors for every little thing that make us paranoid when they come on.  DI engines that seem to be better than past engines, but then timing chains don't last, coils go out, camshafts fail, oil gets used up before it should, engine hard on oil, OLM supposed to make it easier to monitor oil life, but then is said to NOT be trustworthy, sunroofs that are awesome because of the two big glass openings, but then they have been known to leak.  (can you tell that hanging around the forums has turned me a bit negative....although I love the discussions, and great people on here, sometimes being informed only turns to worry about things that may never happen)

Besides all that, PROS: Best crossover vehicle in it's class as far as utility, gas mileage, space, drivability, looks, passenger room, horsepower, and of course....technology.  (but again, that can be a con, depending on each individual's experience with their car)

As longs as everything is working like it should, I think the whole vehicle is pretty much a PRO, sure I have a few gripes, but I'll put up with all the little things mentioned in the OP, as long as I don't have to put up with technology that fails more than it works.   

2009 Enclave CX FWD 8 passenger, silver green metallic, ebony cloth, driver's conf. package, tow package.  (Was an order, built July 28th 2008, delivered to us July 31st 2008)
2014 Ford Escape SE 4wd sunset, wife's vehicle, our first Ford
1972 Pontiac GTO.  Owned since 1998

GO GREEN!
sciond
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 02:19:52 PM »

don't get me wrong as daily driver it is a pleasant car..but with my car's sticker about 48K I would have liked to have less disappointments.

2010 MB ML350 Bluetec
2015 SQ5 on Order
kidsenclave
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 02:21:40 PM »

don't get me wrong as daily driver it is a pleasant car..but with my car's sticker about 48K I would have liked to have less disappointments.
Should have bought one with only a $35K sticker.   Poke

2009 Enclave CX FWD 8 passenger, silver green metallic, ebony cloth, driver's conf. package, tow package.  (Was an order, built July 28th 2008, delivered to us July 31st 2008)

GO GREEN!
sciond
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 02:33:01 PM »

Should have bought one with only a $35K sticker.   Poke
but then I could not play the make the headlights move game when I am driving

2010 MB ML350 Bluetec
2015 SQ5 on Order
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 02:44:10 PM »

Happy

Kids may be right that the CX is a better value. It us much less expensive than a loaded CXL version, but is nearly as satisfying. I don't even miss the heated seats because the cloth's foam construction feels warm faster than the heated seats I have had in other cars anyway.

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
kidsenclave
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 03:11:05 PM »

Happy

Kids may be right that the CX is a better value. It us much less expensive than a loaded CXL version, but is nearly as satisfying. I don't even miss the heated seats because the cloth's foam construction feels warm faster than the heated seats I have had in other cars anyway.
Yep, in a way it's a better value, but if someone wants to pay extra for options, then just don't expect that extra price to equal better quality, and less maintenance.  Actually, the more options, the more chance (not saying it will) to have something go wrong.  Do you think those articulating headlights will still be working in 15 years?  How about the power folding mirrors?  Or the NAV, which will obviously be out of date by then?  Will the power tilt and telescoping steering wheel still work?  Or the heated and cooled seats?  Sorry to be negative towards CXL trim levels, not meaning they aren't nice....but the older (and hopefully wiser) I get, the more I lean towards the lower trim levels on any given model.  I used to get all my cars loaded, but as prices went up, and we are getting more vehicle, we opt for fewer luxuries, but still go for the nicest vehicle in a given category. 

GO GREEN!
OKEnclave

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 03:33:08 PM »

I think Kids nailed it with "best crossover".  In my opinion, only the Acadia competes since it is the same platform.  Competing products are smaller, or bigger, or way overpriced.  Sure the Enclave is pricey but if price was our only motivating factor we'd all be driving entry-level Kias.  Our previous vehicle was more expensive in 2006 (Nissan Armada) and of course, the extra room was nice a few times, but I think the Enclave is a far superior vehicle.  I consider myself a 'picky' consumer but maybe I'm just not as picky as I used to be.  None of the mentioned 'cons' of the Enclave really bother me.  But I'm still really disappointed that my garage door buttons aren't lighted...  

2011 Enclave CXL-2 White Diamond Tri-coat/Cashmere Interior (purchased Aug 30, 2010)
sciond
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 04:30:34 PM »

I think Kids nailed it with "best crossover".  In my opinion, only the Acadia competes since it is the same platform.  Competing products are smaller, or bigger, or way overpriced.  Sure the Enclave is pricey but if price was our only motivating factor we'd all be driving entry-level Kias.  Our previous vehicle was more expensive in 2006 (Nissan Armada) and of course, the extra room was nice a few times, but I think the Enclave is a far superior vehicle.  I consider myself a 'picky' consumer but maybe I'm just not as picky as I used to be.  None of the mentioned 'cons' of the Enclave really bother me.  But I'm still really disappointed that my garage door buttons aren't lighted... 

I hope they last the 3-4max years I will keep this vehicle

2010 MB ML350 Bluetec
2015 SQ5 on Order
Uncle_B

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 04:41:42 PM »

What else could you have gotten for the $48K instead?

I looked and didn't find anything comparable out there....

sciond
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 04:51:55 PM »

[/quotI

Infinity FX
Audi Q5
Volvo XC90
Explorer etc.
One of the main reasons I bought the Buick was it qualified for a tax deduction

2010 MB ML350 Bluetec
2015 SQ5 on Order
flguy

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 04:57:01 PM »

How is that so?
sciond
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 04:59:06 PM »

How is that so?
6000 pounds GVWR qualifies for special depreciation for purchases in 2010

2010 MB ML350 Bluetec
2015 SQ5 on Order
kidsenclave
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 05:05:57 PM »

Infinity FX
Audi Q5
Volvo XC90
Explorer etc.
According to cars.com, only the Volvo XC90 is 7 passenger, the rest are only 5...so not really in the Enclave's class, just to be technical here.  Audi Q7, Ford Expedition or Flex would be similar.  (however, there are many other vehicles as well that are in the price range of $48K that are 7 passenger (or 8 passenger ).

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:07:59 PM by kidsenclave » Logged

GO GREEN!
Grimm

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 06:12:47 PM »

Actually the Explorer seats 7.  I actually considered (at least used) the Explorer to be the best value for a 7 seat SUV based on the price.  But the E rides better since the Explorer is on a truck frame, and the Enclave has more room.  I don't know much about the new Explorer though.

I agree, the radio isn't impressive.  I definitely could use more bass.

2008 CXL FWD- Red Jewel-15 spoke rims-Ebony Leather with captains
Uncle_B

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 06:17:25 PM »

Volvo XC90 was a cool car 8 years ago but the Enclave is in a different class when it comes to styling.

The other cars mentioned are smaller than the Enclave. Look at the biggest Infinity or Audi and you are way past the Enclave price point.

Ford Flex? I won't even comment (styling).

Any other suggestions? Enclave size, useable third row and under 50k.

sciond
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 09:21:07 PM »

I did not need the Enclave's size...like I said I bought it for tax purposes....If not I would have bought something smaller....
 However a real smoking deal is the Kia Sorrento with the 3rd row

2010 MB ML350 Bluetec
2015 SQ5 on Order
sciond
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 09:25:13 PM »

Volvo XC90 was a cool car 8 years ago but the Enclave is in a different class when it comes to styling.

The other cars mentioned are smaller than the Enclave. Look at the biggest Infinity or Audi and you are way past the Enclave price point.

Ford Flex? I won't even comment (styling).

Any other suggestions? Enclave size, useable third row and under 50k.
besides the Kia...the diesel Tourag is another I like in the price range and although is a bit more I like my MB ML better....but once again it is not a bad car just not as impressive as some people describe..especially with the decontenting the 3rd doesn't mean a thing to me..not useful to me at all...but the flex's styling I really like and has the best 3rd row btw

2010 MB ML350 Bluetec
2015 SQ5 on Order
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories