Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
August 30, 2014, 02:27:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Enclave? Check out the all new Cadillac SRX at http://www.SRXForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transmission OCI?  (Read 6354 times, 9 Replies)
izzycohen

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2011, 12:45:03 AM »

In two days time I will have owned by Enclave for one year.  It has 37K miles on it and runs great.
I've been thinking about when should I change the transmission fluid.  The owner's manual says 100K.
I think I remember other posters on this forum saying they change transmission fluid at 50K.  What
do you guys suggest?  I intend to run this vehicle >200K miles.

What transmission fluid do you suggest?  Dexron VI is specified.  The Amsoil information is vague
about its conformance to that spec.

2010 CXL, AWD, White Opal w/Ebony interior.  Rosen navigation.
ccaats
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 10:55:35 AM »

I changed mine at 50K miles as we have alot of "stop and go" city driving here in the metro area (and high summer temps).  I would suggest using only the GM Dexron VI transmission fluid.  Oh, and DON'T let any of the shops try to do the "transmission flush".  My dealership's service department said that GM only recommends draining the fluid and replacing with new on these transmissions.  This will only exchange about 50% of the fluid, but should be sufficient.  If doing it yourself, you could always drain and refill 2-3 times within a 10K mile window or so and that should get most of the old fluid out.  Good luck! Cheers

Her Lambda: 2008 Red Jewel Tintcoat Enclave CXL AWD, Cashmere/Cocoa Interior, Driver Confidence, Luxury Pkg, Towing, DVD/Navigation, 19" Chrome Wheels, Sunroof.

His Lambda: 2008 Deep Blue Metallic Acadia SLT-2 FWD, Titanium Leather, Sunroof, Towing, Hit The Road Pkg. 100K miles on 7/31/12!
COCOATAN09XR

09 SATURN OUTLOOK XR FWD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 11:30:56 AM »

ccatts,

I understand "GM only recommends draining the fluid..." but I'm curious why the flush and fill would not work more efficiently then 2 or 3 drains of the fluid.  Where is the downside to this flushing approach?  I'm just sayin'...

Jim
In God We Trust!

The "Bad Boys":
'09 XR FWD, Bluetooth, Nav, O/H DVD, 8 Pass, Leather, Htd Seats, Tow Pkg, Moon, Sky Light, Conv Pkg, Bose Surround Audio Pkg, Enhanced Conv Pkg, HID, 2-Way Advanced Remote...Just a Sweet Ride!
'65 Vette, 327/365 HP, Heat, Music, Lights, Classic Auto Air AND KEISLER 5 SPEED...A RUSH
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 09:28:15 PM »

I am pretty sure that I had the transmission oil changed when I let my dealer talk me into the "25,000 mile" service a while back. Supposedly, they changed the transmission fluid, and performed all Maintenance II services. Instead of the $89 Maintenance II charge, I recall paying $249 for this service. I was caught off guard, so even though I was pretty sure that there was no such service called for according to the manual, I gave them the go ahead.  :Smiley  Even worse, when I was in for M II about 10 months later, the service writer advised me to change the transmission fluid because it looked a little burnt! eyebrow  When I commented that I was surprised because I had that service done just several months earlier, he said that he only was presuming that the fluid would be burnt due to the mileage on the car (only around 37,500 miles) rather than actually looking at it. Of course, he then advised me to ignore his first statement.  :Smiley  This was when I decided to review transmission service requirements and recommendations from the 2008 manual and learned that I was probably duped once and had just avoided being duped yet again for the same issue. Additionally, I became suspicious that the transmission fluid had never really been changed in the first place. So when I hit 50,000 miles, I might have the transmission service performed just to be sure that there really is fresh fluid in the unit. so sad

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
izzycohen

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 12:18:25 AM »

I am pretty sure that I had the transmission oil changed when I let my dealer talk me into the "25,000 mile" service a while back. Supposedly, they changed the transmission fluid, and performed all Maintenance II services. Instead of the $89 Maintenance II charge, I recall paying $249 for this service. I was caught off guard, so even though I was pretty sure that there was no such service called for according to the manual, I gave them the go ahead.  :Smiley  Even worse, when I was in for M II about 10 months later, the service writer advised me to change the transmission fluid because it looked a little burnt! eyebrow  When I commented that I was surprised because I had that service done just several months earlier, he said that he only was presuming that the fluid would be burnt due to the mileage on the car (only around 37,500 miles) rather than actually looking at it. Of course, he then advised me to ignore his first statement.  :Smiley  This was when I decided to review transmission service requirements and recommendations from the 2008 manual and learned that I was probably duped once and had just avoided being duped yet again for the same issue. Additionally, I became suspicious that the transmission fluid had never really been changed in the first place. So when I hit 50,000 miles, I might have the transmission service performed just to be sure that there really is fresh fluid in the unit. so sad

I would not be comfortable working with that service person.  interesting story.  thanks for sharing.

GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 11:57:14 PM »

Is there an easy way to determine if my Enclave has fresh transmission fluid?  Huh?

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
izzycohen

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 08:12:13 PM »

Over the past month or so there have been a couple of times that I thought the transmission may have slipped while shifting.  Usually it was when I wasn't paying attention and also had the radio playing so I didn't necessarily hear it well.  One day this last week, while gassing up, I decided to check the transmission fluid.  The fluid level barely touched the end of the dip stick.  I found an auto parts store that had some of the right fluid and ended up adding most of a quart.  Since then I have noticed no "flares".  I took the Enclave to my dealer and was told that there are seals failing between a valve body and the transmission housing.  They had to order the parts and of course the repair will be covered by warranty.  The fluid will drain out when this happens, so I will end up getting the fluid change free of charge.

Recently I had the owner's manual out to see what they had to say about changing the differential oil.  The manual was very clear about using 75W 90 oil, but did not state how much was required.  While visiting with the service person at the dealer I asked him how much differential oil was required.  After checking on his computer for 5 minutes, or so, he called over his colleague.  The two of them searched on the computer for another 10 minutes or so and concluded that the information was not available to them either.  Their parting words to me were, "if you find out, let us know."

Has anyone on this forum changed differential oil on an Enclave?  How much oil is required?

izzycohen

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 05:18:46 PM »

I may have found my answer.  On the Amsoil website.  If Amsoil is to be believed both the differential and transfer case take 2.2 pints each.  I have no reason to not believe Amsoil.

izzycohen

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 05:20:14 PM »

Is there an easy way to determine if my Enclave has fresh transmission fluid?  Huh?

I'm sorry Goldie.  I'm not aware of any easy way to tell.

copperhead13

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 08:42:14 AM »

Did m first at 12,000 miles, will do every 25,000 there after.
First change was a double drain and fill.

2009 GMC Acadia SLE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories