Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
September 18, 2014, 05:38:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Enclave? Check out the all new Cadillac SRX at http://www.SRXForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra???  (Read 8168 times, 36 Replies)
enclavetmudd

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2011, 07:08:04 PM »

I am definitely not wanting to start another oil thread.  However, I have been a longtime Mobil1 user and due to the oil analysis given on the forum I am wanting to change.  I purchased the Ultra, however, I got back on the forum and saw a lot of platinum recommendations...so which is the better one?  Thank you again!

2009 white diamond, CXL, AWD, 19" chrome, DVD, nav, vented seats, trailer package, sunroof, tan interior
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 07:20:15 PM »

Pennzoil Ultra is designed as the newer and better product, and it probably is superior. However, it has not applied for the Dexos 1 license from GM, while Pennzoil Platinum has, so it is not as "butt covering" from a warranty perspective. The concern is likely built more on cynical paranoia (on my part, as well as some other forum members) rather than a real possibility of warranty voiding, but Pennzoil Platinum covers all of the bases. Besides, it seems that both Pennzoil oils perform well in lambda engine UOAs, so why take any chances for GM to try to get out of expensive warranty coverage?

If Pennzoil decides to obtain the Dexos 1 license for Ultra, then the slight extra cost per quart might be worth the consideration for an upgrade from Platinum.

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
enclavetmudd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 07:22:58 PM »

Thanks Gold...looks like I will take the Ultra back and get the Platinum thumbs up

2009 white diamond, CXL, AWD, 19" chrome, DVD, nav, vented seats, trailer package, sunroof, tan interior
PaPas Truck

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 07:24:46 PM »

FWIW.  My oil change history:  First, Mobil 1.  Second Pennzoil Platinum.  Third, Pennzoil Ultra.  Fourth, Ultra.
Current milage: 15.3K.
Will get my next one in the next week or so, when I take the time to get it done.  Will be Ultra.  

I have not had any UOA's, but I will take a sample  and submit for a UOA just before this upcoming change.

Edit:  If it ever came to a challenge over warranty issues, I would make the argument (successful or not) that "Well, it was a Buick dealer that
installed the oil, so I find him as liable as I am".
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 07:49:32 PM by PaPas Truck » Logged

2010 Enclave CXL2, FWD, Gold Mist, Cashmere leather, SunRoof/Skylight, Captains Chairs 2nd row, Nav Pkg, Rear DVD, 20 in. Wheels, Trailering Pkg., 12/09 build.

There are two kinds of people in this world.  SAILORS!.   And those who wish they were.
Sailfish
Enclave GOD!

Volunteer with Sheltie rescue organizations

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 07:34:04 PM »

I have to agree with GoldEnclave.  Once the Ultra is approved I may make the switch as well from the Platinum.

11 Enclave CXL2 WDT FWD 20" Wheels build 11/10 purchase 2/11
05 Nissan 350Z convertible - husband's
03 Saturn VUE V6 AWD - was my Mother carry around vehicle

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

Albert Einstein
enclavetmudd

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 08:03:21 PM »

Papas...

Just curious why you went from the Platinum to the Ultra?

cableguy
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 08:24:07 PM »

tmudd - what year is your Clave?

I just switched from Mobil 1 to Pennzoil Ultra and I am not looking back.  Now I don't have a 2011 but we all know that if PP meets the spec then so does P Ultra.  It costs manufacturers a TON of money to have their products "comply" with specs and Pennzoil certainly feels that it's in their best interest to have the Platinium certified since its cheaper and will attract far more buyers than the more costly Ultra product.

My 2 cents is that they are both great products but I wouldn't sweat it using P Ultra in place of Platinum if that is your first choice.  There is no difference in the 2010 engine and the 2011 so there is ZERO reason not to use the best possible oil if your wallet can afford it and, at this time, the Ultra holds the trophy blob
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 08:26:02 PM by cableguy » Logged

2010 Diamond White Tricoat Enclave CXL2 AWD loaded with NAV; DVD Entertainment; 20" Chrome Wheels; Sun Roof w/Rear Skylight; Luxury, Convenience, Hit the Road & Towing Packages plus 3M paint protection.  Tan Leather with Captain's Chairs in 2nd row.

"Old" Clave was an 08 CXL AWD Loaded w/34K mile
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 09:22:34 PM »

Pennzoil Ultra is only a little more money for an oil that is even better than the excellent Pennzoil Platinum. However, the UOAs of PP are great and there is zero chance of a GM warranty challenge. I may be a bit paranoid, but why take any chances when PP will keep our engines running great for years beyond when most of us will be trading our cars in anyway. If PU becomes licensed, then I might switch from PP, and might recommend it over the well respected PP. wink

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
PaPas Truck

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 10:40:57 PM »

Papas...

Just curious why you went from the Platinum to the Ultra?

Generally, I try to keep a vehicle going for as long as I can.  I am not one to change every few years.  It was not that I had any
reservations with PP, but from the reading I did, I just thought PU might be just a little better.  The cost difference for PU was not
something that really entered my mind.  And, in my advancing years, this just may be pretty close to my last vehicle.  I probably would
not have gone for something this large, if it were not for two great-grandsons, that live bout 30 minutes away, and spend a good deal of
time with us.  Mainly bought to carry them around in.  And no regrets in the purchase.

In a nutshell, I would not have any problems with PP.  Each of us make a decision that suits us.  PU suits me.

2010 Enclave CXL2, FWD, Gold Mist, Cashmere leather, SunRoof/Skylight, Captains Chairs 2nd row, Nav Pkg, Rear DVD, 20 in. Wheels, Trailering Pkg., 12/09 build.

There are two kinds of people in this world.  SAILORS!.   And those who wish they were.
XRDreamliner

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 10:42:10 PM »

FWIW.  My oil change history:  First, Mobil 1.  Second Pennzoil Platinum.  Third, Pennzoil Ultra.  Fourth, Ultra.
Will get my next one in the next week or so, when I take the time to get it done.  Will be Ultra.  

I used M1 0W30 for a couple oil changes, and have since switched to Ultra, with 5K OCI's.  Will be performing an oil change in about 1k miles, with a UOA to follow.

2009 Outlook XR AWD
Cocoa Brown w/Tan
Build Date: 11/08
Purchase Date:  Feb 2010 w/19K miles

2008 Audi RS4 Cabriolet

2003 Audi A4 Quattro
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 10:58:27 AM »

Too bad PU is not Dexos 1 licensed, and therefore GM endorsed. If it were, it would be an even better fit for the Enclave than the very good PP, especially considering its minimally higher price. If it were licensed, paranoid types like myself would have already upgraded from PP. wink

enclavetmudd

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 01:31:32 PM »

tmudd - what year is your Clave?

Mine is a 2009...I'm just amazed that using Extended Performance Mobil1 that my oil could look so dark after 2000 miles.  I run the Mobil 1, 12K - 15K in my 2004 Toyota and it still looks better than the E after 2000 miles. 

I am going to just change every 5K miles and call it good.  I think Rbarrios or someone posted a pic of their dipstick at 4,000 miles using either Ultra or Platinum and it looked awesome in comparison to mine...maybe it was the flash of the camera but it looked much lighter in color.

GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 08:45:59 PM »

Mine is a 2009...I'm just amazed that using Extended Performance Mobil1 that my oil could look so dark after 2000 miles.  I run the Mobil 1, 12K - 15K in my 2004 Toyota and it still looks better than the E after 2000 miles. 

I am going to just change every 5K miles and call it good.  I think Rbarrios or someone posted a pic of their dipstick at 4,000 miles using either Ultra or Platinum and it looked awesome in comparison to mine...maybe it was the flash of the camera but it looked much lighter in color.

Maybe the difference is the Pennzoil product. wink

OKEnclave

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 10:15:03 AM »

I've only switched to synthethic oil since buying the Enclave but from what I've read on the various oil posts here on the Forum, Mobil 1 is not the way to go with the Enclaves...   The Used Oil Analysis (UOA) reports with Mobil 1 haven't been good. 

2011 Enclave CXL-2 White Diamond Tri-coat/Cashmere Interior (purchased Aug 30, 2010)
EnclaveFanMN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 10:25:46 AM »

Amsoil ASL 5w-30 if you absolutely want the best protection money can buy. 

2011 Enclave CXL
FalconEddy
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 01:25:36 PM »

I have not had any UOA's, but I will take a sample  and submit for a UOA just before this upcoming change.

Edit:  If it ever came to a challenge over warranty issues, I would make the argument (successful or not) that "Well, it was a Buick dealer that
installed the oil, so I find him as liable as I am".

I can just hear some 24 year-old smart-ass corporate lawyer fresh out of 'boot camp' trying to make a name for himself, "Not only are the specific synthetic engine lubricant licensing statutes clearly indicated within the General Motors 100,000 mile drive-train warranty documentation; but, two wrongs don't make a right. . . Do they, Mr. Truck?"

You can still flip people off in court, as long as the Judge doesn't see you, right???   Grin

. . Falcon

2008 Enclave CXL-OpalWhite/Cashmere-18" Granite Alloy GX1 Wheels w/Michelin P265/60R LTX M/Sē's-7 Passenger-Navigation Mods, DRL & HID Foglight Mods, First Series XBOX Installed 6/28/2011-Gaming for 4 in the Car!

. . .but, what do I know???
Sailfish
Enclave GOD!

Volunteer with Sheltie rescue organizations

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 02:29:24 PM »

I've only switched to synthethic oil since buying the Enclave but from what I've read on the various oil posts here on the Forum, Mobil 1 is not the way to go with the Enclaves...   The Used Oil Analysis (UOA) reports with Mobil 1 haven't been good. 

True that is what I have been reading on the UOA's posted on the Acadia board as well as the Traverse and this one.  I will stay with PP for now as it is GM approved.  Like I said when or if GM approves the PU I will more than likely switch.  So I am waiting on the UOA report to make sure it IS performing as well as I anticipate it will.

11 Enclave CXL2 WDT FWD 20" Wheels build 11/10 purchase 2/11
05 Nissan 350Z convertible - husband's
03 Saturn VUE V6 AWD - was my Mother carry around vehicle

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

Albert Einstein
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 02:10:42 PM »

As far as I know, Pennzoil Ultra is still not GM dexos1 licensed. However, my drivetrain warranty recently expired, so I may upgrade to Ultra from Platinum when I use up my Platinum oil supply, because my warranty concern is now a moot point.

comp

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 02:26:07 PM »

As far as I know, Pennzoil Ultra is still not GM dexos1 licensed. However, my drivetrain warranty recently expired, so I may upgrade to Ultra from Platinum when I use up my Platinum oil supply, because my warranty concern is now a moot point.

Ultra is not but there was a post over on BITOG from Pennzoil and the reasoning it is not Dexos yet is they have not paid for the license.  They did confirm it meets the requirement as it exceeds PP.   They basically only wanted to pay for the license on PP since they sell more of it
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 04:47:53 PM by comp » Logged
rbarrios
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 03:09:21 PM »

They basically only wanted to may for the license on PP since they sell more of it

ohh theyve got that right..

since I bought the 13 Equinox.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    23,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-   80,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories