Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
July 31, 2014, 11:43:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Enclave Sales Numbers:     Mar: 4,899      YTD Total: 14,445     All Time: 187,013   (graph)

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken Wave Plate  (Read 81905 times, 563 Replies)
dzs3fz

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2011, 02:44:33 PM »

I’ve been reading all the “broken wave plate” posts and was wondering how common is this failure and is any one year more prone to failure more than another?  It appears this part is made of cheap materials, however, is it a vendor quality issue and can we all expect a failure before 100k?

08 cxl-awd  7 seat WDT, titanium interior, nav, bose radio, sunroof, towing pkg, 19" chrome wheels
kidsenclave
Enclave GOD!

Trying to please 100% of people 100% of the time.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 03:03:37 PM »

Just for data collecting on this thread:

I do NOT have this problem, 2009 Enclave FWD CX, 18,700 miles

2009 Enclave CX FWD 8 passenger, silver green metallic, ebony cloth, driver's conf. package, tow package.  (Was an order, built July 28th 2008, delivered to us July 31st 2008)
2014 Ford Escape SE 4wd sunset, wife's vehicle, our first Ford
1972 Pontiac GTO.  Owned since 1998

GO GREEN!
rbarrios
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 03:24:48 PM »

Ive read of the issue. as theres been posts about it.
But I wouldnt say its a VERY common issue.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    23,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-   80,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
JK27

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 09:46:16 PM »

What's a "wave plate"?

2010 Enclave AWD CXL-1, with Bose System, Sunroof, 19" Chrome Wheels
Quicksilver Metallic Exterior with Titanium Leather Interior
Sailfish
Enclave GOD!

Volunteer with Sheltie rescue organizations

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 10:03:24 PM »

What's a "wave plate"?

a wave plate as a cushion plate

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=419779

11 Enclave CXL2 WDT FWD 20" Wheels build 11/10 purchase 2/11
05 Nissan 350Z convertible - husband's
03 Saturn VUE V6 AWD - was my Mother carry around vehicle

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
Albert Einstein

GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 10:59:46 PM »

Thanks for the link. I've been curious to know what the wave plate is, too. thumbs up

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
ENCLAVEDUDE

2008 CXL FWD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 10:00:21 AM »

Thanks SAILFISH!  I had a broken wave plate problem with my 08 Enclave at 55k miles.  The mechanic showed me a broken a wave plate he pulled out of a tranny the previous week.  It looks just like the rings shown in your link above.  The transmission wouldn't shift above third gear.  I questioned the mechanic about the failure mode - he said that the transmission has speed sensors that measure the input and output speed of the transmission.  This infomation is used by the Transmission Control Module to shift the transmission.  The broken wave plate was brittle from heat and broke. What happens is - some metalic parts get attracted to the magnetic speed sensor, and blocks the speed sensor from working, so it won't shift properly.  The broken wave plate seems to be the 3-5-R plate, with an engine code of P0716 among others. 
  To fix this - the transmission must be dropped, and disassembled.  Broken metal parts have to be removed, the input speed sensor replaced, a new plate installed,  and the transmission fluid lines including the transmittion cooler were flushed.  I am not sure if there are filters in the transmission - my repair invoice did not list any filter changes.  One recent post on this matter said there are no filters.  Kind of strange I would think. 
  I don't belive this is a wide spread problem as not that many posts.  However my dealer mechanic had fixed a few.........   

2008 CXL FWD
medicrxdoc

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 10:44:35 PM »

The transmission does have a filter, but it is only can be replaced by splitting the tranny case open.  Maybe they don't replace them even if they have it apart? 
kirk7martin

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 01:50:19 PM »

I have a 2008 Enclave. As posted elsewhere, just had the broken wave plate and speed sensor fixed on my car right after it hit 100k.
The plate cost $5.63. The sensor cost $28.42. But the labor cost $2,000. Ouch.

The Buick Customer Care people have been really excellent through this process. They just notified me that they will be refunding 30% of the cost back to me as a goodwill gesture. Good luck and be relieved if it's the wave plate and not the entire transmission!

GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 01:55:06 PM »

I have a 2008 Enclave. As posted elsewhere, just had the broken wave plate and speed sensor fixed on my car right after it hit 100k.
The plate cost $5.63. The sensor cost $28.42. But the labor cost $2,000. Ouch.

The Buick Customer Care people have been really excellent through this process. They just notified me that they will be refunding 30% of the cost back to me as a goodwill gesture. Good luck and be relieved if it's the wave plate and not the entire transmission!

Yikes, that is an expensive break down! At least Buick is helping out a bit. Hopefully you don't have an more major repair expenses in your Enclave's future. Good luck.  Smiley

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
phurren

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 02:47:59 PM »

2008 Buick Enclave CXL AWD.. approx 110k km , and just had transmission failure ... I believe it is the plate that shifts between gears 3 & 5 (maybe the wave plate). It failed and took quite a number of other parts with it.

Currently in the shop, and waiting for parts

Fortunately have extended warranty to 120K km (and on lease with 1 month to go !)

also water pump failed (leaking) in May 2011, and then engine goes into shutdown mode and into idle reduced speed (wherever you are to save the engine). No indication that water was leaking though before it failed.

Also navigation system continues to fail with DVD error and freezes whole system. Had whole Console unit replaced once ...
marliny

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 02:45:38 PM »

Mine broke at 80,200 miles on a 07 Saturn Outlook.
dzs3fz

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 02:13:37 PM »

Has it ever been determined if the broken wave plate issue is a manufacturing defect and if so how many vehicles are prone to failure?   Are all model "E"s experiencing these failures?  My '08 has 92k and I was just wondering if there have been any failures after this many miles?  I have my fingers crossed so far.

Thks 

08 cxl-awd  7 seat WDT, titanium interior, nav, bose radio, sunroof, towing pkg, 19" chrome wheels
kidsenclave
Enclave GOD!

Trying to please 100% of people 100% of the time.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 04:11:48 PM »

Has it ever been determined if the broken wave plate issue is a manufacturing defect and if so how many vehicles are prone to failure?   Are all model "E"s experiencing these failures?  My '08 has 92k and I was just wondering if there have been any failures after this many miles?  I have my fingers crossed so far.

Thks 
Caused by how you drive it.... Shocked.... Happy....... hilarious2......NO, not really, but I think there's NO way to tell what causes these problems.  I think, and this a big assumption, that the wave plates are a hit or miss.  You may drive 200K with not an issue, you may drive 15K and have a failure.  I agree with you, I would also like to know the facts, but I'm afraid there is no way to forcast how long these will last.  Without all the data, it's next to impossible.  You would have to have the owners who had wave plate failures mark down how the vehicle was driven each day, temperatures they live in, whether they tow or not, how much stop and go traffic, how many hills, how much they use cruise, if they use the manual settings for the gears, and many more variables.  My guess....it's not a manufacturing defect, it's a crap shoot,

2009 Enclave CX FWD 8 passenger, silver green metallic, ebony cloth, driver's conf. package, tow package.  (Was an order, built July 28th 2008, delivered to us July 31st 2008)
2014 Ford Escape SE 4wd sunset, wife's vehicle, our first Ford
1972 Pontiac GTO.  Owned since 1998

GO GREEN!
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 04:50:56 PM »

Caused by how you drive it.... Shocked.... Happy....... hilarious2......NO, not really, but I think there's NO way to tell what causes these problems.  I think, and this a big assumption, that the wave plates are a hit or miss.  You may drive 200K with not an issue, you may drive 15K and have a failure.  I agree with you, I would also like to know the facts, but I'm afraid there is no way to forcast how long these will last.  Without all the data, it's next to impossible.  You would have to have the owners who had wave plate failures mark down how the vehicle was driven each day, temperatures they live in, whether they tow or not, how much stop and go traffic, how many hills, how much they use cruise, if they use the manual settings for the gears, and many more variables.  My guess....it's not a manufacturing defect, it's a crap shoot,

I have the feeling that you are correct. Undecided

medicrxdoc

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 05:14:35 PM »

My '08 has 92k and I was just wondering if there have been any failures after this many miles? 

Failure on an Outlook with 108K on the odo....fixed on owners dime
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 12:02:17 PM »

Failure on an Outlook with 108K on the odo....fixed on owners dime

How much did the repair cost?

medicrxdoc

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 01:08:10 PM »

The OP never responded with their original location.  They ended up replacing the whole trans with a new one at a dealer discounted price of about $4k.
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 01:28:17 PM »

That's a whole lot of dimes!  so sad

FalconEddy
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 06:37:42 PM »

The problem is due to the original wave plates being slightly over tempered in production which made them brittle. Plus, if it was flashed cooled (something foreign steel producers are NOT supposed to be doing any longer), this forces carbon to the surface rapidly which also makes the steel brittle. However, I don't know the precise composition of the metallurgy used for the reverse clutch wave plate, so the flash cooling comment is 100% speculation.

Should they be failing at this rate on the Lambda series vehicles, obviously not. But try explaining THAT to the GM corporate brass.

So, based on the information I received, as far as them eventually cracking, chipping, or breaking, it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

Yes, this obviously includes vehicles over the 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty period. It is inevitable.

Now, if it's not going to be addressed in a TSB or a full campaign, you obviously have three choices:

1) Dump the car before 100,000 miles

2) Hope it breaks before 100,000 miles

3) Keep the car and pay for it out of pocket when it breaks after 100,000 miles.

. . Falcon

2008 Enclave CXL-OpalWhite/Cashmere-18" Granite Alloy GX1 Wheels w/Michelin P265/60R LTX M/S˛'s-7 Passenger-Navigation Mods, DRL & HID Foglight Mods, First Series XBOX Installed 6/28/2011-Gaming for 4 in the Car!

. . .but, what do I know???
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories