Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
October 22, 2014, 06:22:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little blue 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken Wave Plate  (Read 87909 times, 563 Replies)
ls973800

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: August 28, 2012, 11:03:23 PM »

that could happened to any used car . My buddy bought a used 350zx and he spend 4000 fixing the clutch twice before he sold it . It sucks , but you are buying a used car, a 5 year old used car. 500$ wont get you anything . You are buying a luxury and expect to pay what a kia would cost to fix. Thats not the way it works.

When i bought the enclave i took into consideration brakes, tires , tune up , that alone its probably 1500$ and thats just maintanance. Any mechanic would tell you that a car at 5 years is getting into that phase in which a lot of things are going to need to be done , 100 000 KMS ( or whatever that is in miles) and 5 years is usually the point at which most cars need a lot of service done , same goes when they get to the 10 year mark

If someone needs a large vehicle and does not want to spend the money to deal with these issues , why not buy a newer van that still has 2-3 year warranty , i guess a van its not cool ...

Im not trying to be an ass or anything , GM messed up the waveplate issue ,so I understand his anger and i ll be pretty pissed too but aside from the waveplate when you buy a used car you should always have money for maintenance and again that includes, tires, brakes , tune ups, oil changes, suspension. Unfortunately thats the price you pay for not paying the full price of the car.

It is common sense, thats why people spend the extra cash to buy brand new or lease a car and then returned , it is because they do not want to pay for repairs , they rather pay more from the start and not worry about it later .

Have you noticed how much in price a car drops after 5 years. Now  everywhere i see there is a 2008 enclave out there, people would rather pay 20 000 for a used car that looks like a 50 000 dollar car but it is still old , rather than buy a newer car. What most of them dont take into consideration is that the owners who paid 50 000 for those cars are getting rid of them because of the cost of maintenance so the new owners think that because they paid 20 000 the car should perform like a brand new car. And this not only applies to enclaves, I can go out an get a 2008 BMW 328 or AUDI A4 for 20 000 and I bet that the car is going to need a lot of maintenance too .

And again , i m not defending GM , and I actually agree that he is pissed off at GM , but in general , aside from the waveplate issue ( which is gms fault) , if someone buys a used car, a 5 year used car, no matter if he paid 5000 or 40 000 , it will need maintanence, and not 500$ because that wont even get you a set of tires

There should be no reason to have to do brakes, tires, exhaust, tune-ups, etc on a used $20,000 2008 Enclave or any other 5 year old main stream used vehicle.    That's what inspections and negotiations are for.  Get the dealer to pay for the new tires, do an oil change, etc. Or adjust the selling price because it needs those items. That's why I mentioned $500.00 for maintenance or unexpected repairs such as burned out headlights, transmission fluid change, etc.  Things you want to do so you know the items are or were taken care of.

If someone needs a large vehicle and does not want to spend the money to deal with these issues , why not buy a newer van that still has 2-3 year warranty , i guess a van its not cool ...

And why should someone buy a van if they want or need an Enclave or something similar just because they can't afford a new vehicle.  Issues can be dealt with if you know up front that it needs tires, brakes, exhaust, etc.  It's when those items which should last the life of the vehicle or 100000-150000 miles at least (timing chains, water pumps, wave plates, transmissions) fail at alarmingly early mileage that an owner is usually stuck with those high unexpected, un-budgeted, repair bills.

In this case, and yours, things worked out because of the warranty coverage.  Good to see owner's being treated fairly.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:34:48 AM by ls973800 » Logged

2010 Summit White Traverse LTZ,  SOLD 4/2012 
2015 Traverse 2LT Siren Red Tintcoat-36 Month Lease
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #261 on: August 28, 2012, 11:53:47 PM »

So sad.  A really fine automobile, but these 2008 have had some severe start up problems for sure.  Given that the car was built with a defective part - the wave plate - there is no reason why a vehicle with only 68,000 miles should have a failed transmission.  I have read article about this transmission build jointly by Ford and GM - it was designed as a 200,000 mile transmission. 

Mine failed at 63,000 miles a year ago - all of my problems with this car have been covered under warranty.  Given your early failure of this transmission - put A LOT of pressure on your dealer to cover this repair - especially since you are out of warranty with only 68k miles.   Some have been able to talk the dealers to give them a break.  Also Stacy, Custimer Service - might be able to get involved to help you - what say Stacy?Huh?

Relative to your comment about GM and the bail out - this vehicle was designed at the time when GM was facing total bankruptcy - so maybe that affected parts selection and quality - who knows.  The good news is that most of the 2008 problems were fixed, as having monitored this forum since 2008 - I don't see a lot of these problems in later models.

This forum has been very vocal in telling GM to extend the transmission warranty - let's hope it succeeds for the customer's and GM's sake....... [/b] 

I agree 100%!

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
rockyp
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: August 29, 2012, 12:55:04 AM »

Yes... Please!!! I'm at almost 110,000 miles with the original wave plate. I want a new one - free or cheap!!!  Happy Beer Cheers Cheers

2008 Cocoa CXL AWD, Nav, Rear Ent - Owned 72 months, 135,900 miles. Traded 9 days short of 6 years of ownership for new Subaru Outback.

Why are they called "hemorrhoids"? Shouldn't they be called "asteroids"?
dzs3fz

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: August 29, 2012, 07:38:01 AM »

Yes... Please!!! I'm at almost 110,000 miles with the original wave plate. I want a new one - free or cheap!!!  Happy Beer Cheers Cheers
Same here....109,992 with original wave plate and worried.  I don't know how many miles a trans is expected and designed to last but I'm sure it's somewhere between 150k and infinity.

08 cxl-awd  7 seat WDT, titanium interior, nav, bose radio, sunroof, towing pkg, 19" chrome wheels
goochman

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: August 29, 2012, 08:19:06 AM »

Same here....109,992 with original wave plate and worried.  I don't know how many miles a trans is expected and designed to last but I'm sure it's somewhere between 150k and infinity.

Alot of folks I know with other brands seem to start seeing issues after 110k - 3 Honda friends have had tranny issues before 100K (honda covered or paid 50%).  After 120k Id feel like I got my moneys worth, before that and I would be po'd.

Of course I wont the Wave Plate lottery earlier this year - hopefully the new one goes farther than 60k

------------
Goochman

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix
2009 Jeep Wragler Sahara Unlimited
2014 Ford Explorer Limited
jacko

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: August 29, 2012, 10:22:47 AM »

I once owned a Dodge Caravan and the tranny self destructed at 60,000 miles out of warranty. I had it rebuilt at a local tranny shop and immediately sold it to a guy I knew (at a very reasonable price) who drove it for another 100,000 miles. You just never know when a machine will fail. My '08 Enclave is out of warranty with 25,000 miles on the odometer. If it goes to 60,000 without a failure of the tranny, I'll have sold it by then. If the tranny fails much sooner than that I agree GM should help with the repair. But I won't be holding my breath! 

2008 Enclave CX AWD, Platinum/Ebony, Drivers Confidence Pkg., 8 Passenger
rick10

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: August 29, 2012, 05:02:57 PM »

There should be no reason to have to do brakes, tires, exhaust, tune-ups, etc on a used $20,000 2008 Enclave or any other 5 year old main stream used vehicle.    That's what inspections and negotiations are for.  Get the dealer to pay for the new tires, do an oil change, etc. Or adjust the selling price because it needs those items. That's why I mentioned $500.00 for maintenance or unexpected repairs such as burned out headlights, transmission fluid change, etc.  Things you want to do so you know the items are or were taken care of.

And why should someone buy a van if they want or need an Enclave or something similar just because they can't afford a new vehicle.  Issues can be dealt with if you know up front that it needs tires, brakes, exhaust, etc.  It's when those items which should last the life of the vehicle or 100000-150000 miles at least (timing chains, water pumps, wave plates, transmissions) fail at alarmingly early mileage that an owner is usually stuck with those high unexpected, un-budgeted, repair bills.

In this case, and yours, things worked out because of the warranty coverage.  Good to see owner's being treated fairly.

I agree with you somewhat , yes if you buy a used car at the GM DEALER , yes you should expect the dealer to take care of the maintenance , furthermore you should prob expect the dealer to cover the cost or part of the cost if something goes wrong in the first six months.

However technically when you buy a used car at the dealer you are already paying for all these in the price tag. For example when i puchased my enclave ( privately) I paid 17 500 for it . That was the lower price for the amount of mileage and the options the car had that i ve found anywhere. When i went to the dealer , a corner store dealer , the price tag for a car similar to mine was 21 500 - 22000 , so that is 3000 to 4000 more and the dealer will not lower their price at all , we even offered 20500 and they wouldnt go down a cent because their prices were actually the lowest out there and the car was as IS , no warranty. Now when I went to the "OFFICIAL GM DEALERSHIP" the price tag for a car similar to mine was between 23 000 and 26 000 so that is 5000 to 8000 more than what i paid.

My point is when you buy at the GM dealer they are already charging you a premium to give you a car that should not give you problems, you are alread paying 2000 to 3000 more and that doesnt even assure you that major components are not going to fail in the future. 

A lot of people buy a used car at the corner store dealer , they get a good deal on it but when they have to pay for maintenance then they are complaining , however they forget that they saved 2000- 3000 bucks already.

For me the only thing the dealer can assure you of is that the car has newer brakes , tires , oil changes , spark plugs, but thats about it, they are not going to go out of their way to make sure the major components are new , they are not going to change a water pump that is working or open the tranny do check all the parts are new, you are alo forgetting a lot of these cars lease returns ,plus the dealers are not doing this for free, you are already paying for it and you are paying a lot for it , it would prob be cheaper if you do it yourself. and when a car is 5 year old , things go wrong and that is just a fact.

Now for your second point . Sorry i cant agree with you , this is not 1980 when cars last long.  Newer cars are not meant to be driven 100 000 miles with nothing going wrong with it. Water pumps , timing belts , alternators, radiators , spark plugs , etc , etc are promt to failure after 60 000 miles or 5 years. I drive a civic which is supposed to be one of the most reliable cars out there and I had to change the alternator , water pump , timing belt at 95 000 miles . Tranny and engines are expected to last longer, but it all depends on how the car was driven. I seen enough trannys fail after 100 000 miles.

Now if you wat to play big a get a big luxurious car then you should be able to afford that car. I could probably buy a used corvette for under 30 000 but that doesnt mean i can afford it. At the end of the day it is a used car period . If someone doesnt want to spend money on a car then they should buy a new one or newer one , its just common sense.
Dont you think EVERYONE would want to drive a corvette, mercedes , bmw , etc , etc. If someone has 30 000 to spend they could easily buy a used sports car or luxury car, but people don t do this because they know it will cost money to do maintenance because they are USED CARS
ls973800

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: August 29, 2012, 05:38:20 PM »

Newer cars are not meant to be driven 100 000 miles with nothing going wrong with it. Water pumps , timing belts , alternators, radiators , spark plugs , etc , etc are promt to failure after 60 000 miles or 5 years.

Wow, where have you been the last 3 decades?  It was the 1980's cars that failed early (usually), not the 2010's.  Products are built to be better, not worse!

Spark plugs, coolant, serpentine belts have a 100000 mile change interval according to many owner's manuals.  I'll agree with the 5 year replacement for those but no way for the 60000 miles.  Our Acura has a timing belt designed to be changed at 105000 miles.  My 2003 F150 required an alternator at 140000 miles (the brushes just plain wore out).  None of the other items you mentioned failed.  If they had after 60000 miles like you say, I would not have bought another Ford.  If they had failed after 100000 miles I would have believed I got my money's worth out of it. 

As for you thinking the Enclave is a luxury vehicle and people who can't afford a $3000.00 repair bill should buy a mini van instead, we will never agree with that point either.

rick10

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: August 29, 2012, 05:56:17 PM »

Newer cars are not meant to be driven 100 000 miles with nothing going wrong with it. Water pumps , timing belts , alternators, radiators , spark plugs , etc , etc are promt to failure after 60 000 miles or 5 years.

Wow, where have you been the last 3 decades?  It was the 1980's cars that failed early (usually), not the 2010's.  Products are built to be better, not worse!

Spark plugs, coolant, serpentine belts have a 100000 mile change interval according to many owner's manuals.  I'll agree with the 5 year replacement for those but no way for the 60000 miles.  Our Acura has a timing belt designed to be changed at 105000 miles.  My 2003 F150 required an alternator at 140000 miles (the brushes just plain wore out).  None of the other items you mentioned failed.  If they had after 60000 miles like you say, I would not have bought another Ford.  If they had failed after 100000 miles I would have believed I got my money's worth out of it.  

As for you thinking the Enclave is a luxury vehicle and people who can't afford a $3000.00 repair bill should buy a mini van instead, we will never agree with that point either.

so according to you newer cars are build stronger than older cars. I guess we will never agree there

I said that i dont think its right that people spend all their money in a used car and they dont have anything left for a big repair. Simple as that. A used car is a used car, a 5 year old car is a 5 year old car. It doesnt matter if it is a enclave or a civic. A car is out of warranty and you should always be prepared or have a back up plan if something major fails .This could happened to the most reliable car out there

And yes people that spend 25 000 in a 5 year luxury car should be prepared to pay $$ in case something goes wrong. I m not saying they should assumed that the tranny or engine is going to break but what if it does. It could happened to ANY CAR that is that old and out of warranty.

If someone is so worry about having a tranny or engine replace because they have no money left ,  then they may be better off buying a newer car ( most affordable car) that comes with bumper to bumper warranty . I dont understand why is so hard to understand that concept . This not only applies to cars, I mean i could go out and buy a used 50 inch tv for half the price but noone is going to assure me that a pixel may go dead after a few months. Its not supposed to happen but you should always be aware that a used item is a used item and you never know how to person before you treated it

Accoding to you everyone should go out and buy expensive used cars for less than what they were worth brand new ( corvettes, bmws, mercedes, etc) that are out of warranty and then not be prepared for a big expense if it ever happens?? . Sorry i dont agree with that at all. In my case I kept my civic as my back up plan

You know before I spend the money on the enclave i made sure i had a back up plan , i made sure i got the best deal out there because i was aware that the car was 5 years old and it was going to be out of warranty soon . I also made sure I didnt spend my last cent on a used car , plus I kept my old beater just in case something went wrong . And i ve done this with all the cars i purchased

and again i m not even defending GM because they messed up big time and they should extent the waveplate warranty. Im just talking in general when it comes down to used cars.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 06:01:38 PM by rick10 » Logged
ls973800

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: August 29, 2012, 08:15:18 PM »

so according to you newer cars are build stronger than older cars. I guess we will never agree there

thumbs up

Buick Customer Service
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: August 30, 2012, 08:48:37 AM »

So bought my 08 used four months ago 68,000 miles on it. Just towed it in this morning. Something's wrong with the transmission guessing it's this wave plate. Power train warranty expired a month and a half ago. If it is this wave plate and I get stuck with a huge bill GM can go F@%# themselves. Never again will I buy a GM product. Sad part is I have always bought American kinda a firm believer in that. Thing that cracks me up is this vehicle was built during the bail out. Keep up the good work GM maybe there is still a chance for you to go under. At least my 68 Chevelles holding up.

Semper Fidelis

ShawnB,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you have experienced with your Enclave. I would be happy to look into this further for you. Can you please send me a PM with your name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealer? I look forward to hearing back from you.
Thank you,
Stacy Buick Customer Service

~Buick Customer Service

my.buick.com
ShawnB

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: September 02, 2012, 07:11:46 PM »

Thank you Falcon and Stacy. They are extending the warranty with a 250 deductible. Post more when it's done.
Also you guys with the opinions shut up nobody cares what you think lol guess that's why you post them in here. Again thank you guys for the good advice.
jma

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: September 02, 2012, 08:30:03 PM »

I have a question,   the transmissions that have failing wave plates,  do any of these Enclaves have the optional Tow Pkg.    Heat is the number one cause of transmission failures. So the extra trans cooler would seem to help these wave plates to last longer.....   Also just a thought,   it has been my experience with trannies that are constantly shifting or hunting for the correct gear,   that shifting back and forth is not good.   In the old days it would cause friction and slipping ,   which adds Heat to the Transmission.   My Enclave's shifting trans drove me crazy,  so most of the time I lock out 6th gear and if Towing I will lock out 5th gear....  I would Hope GM would stand behind this Transmission,  if  it is  truly a known defective  part....   Or else in the long run GM will loose more Market Share,  which GM can not afford...   So does any Enclaves have a Failed Wave Plate and also Have A Tow Package Option???

Thanks for Any Info.....
Jim in Fl....  :-)
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #273 on: September 02, 2012, 10:19:43 PM »

The "Tow Package" factor is one that I've considered, too. This is a good question for the simple fact that some 2008 Enclave owners might not have to worry about near imminent premature wave plate failure IF the tow package protects the misengineered parts. Hopefully we will get some feedback within this thread soon. If not, I plan to start a new thread specific to the question.

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
XRDreamliner

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: September 03, 2012, 02:58:50 AM »

My Enclave's shifting trans drove me crazy,  so most of the time I lock out 6th gear and if Towing I will lock out 5th gear.... 
Thanks for Any Info.....

You may want to try the new transmission programming... it keeps the TC locked up more frequently when encountering hills, etc.  I just had the update performed on my '09 and I noticed the transmission doesn't hunt in-and-out of lockup when in high gear.  As an added bonus, I saw a 3-4 mpg highway mileage improvement (was: 19, is: 23).

2009 Outlook XR AWD
Cocoa Brown w/Tan
Build Date: 11/08
Purchase Date:  Feb 2010 w/19K miles

2008 Audi RS4 Cabriolet

2003 Audi A4 Quattro
jma

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: September 03, 2012, 12:14:06 PM »

You may want to try the new transmission programming... it keeps the TC locked up more frequently when encountering hills, etc.  I just had the update performed on my '09 and I noticed the transmission doesn't hunt in-and-out of lockup when in high gear.  As an added bonus, I saw a 3-4 mpg highway mileage improvement (was: 19, is: 23).

I had the trannie programed back in late 2008..   It helped some, but also started getting poor fuel mileage....  I average 17 mpg over-all...  12 mpg towing 3000lbs RV trailer.... My biggest frustration,  is if you start to climb a slight incline,  the trans will shift down two gears for 5 seconds, then up-shift one gear, then at the top of the slight incline it will return to the original gear....   There is know reason in the world that the Trans needs to downs hift  2 gears for a couple of seconds and then up-shift one gear....  That is what drives me Crazy.....  Do you have a late program trans code # for a 2008...  I was told by my dealer, that is all they could do to fix the shift points.    So I drive it like it has a Clutch....   Manuel Shifts as needed or lock out some gears.....   A lot of our Fixed Income spent on a Auto that has major transmission flaws in my case.   I understand some owners do not have problems,  if you are one of those Owners you are Lucky.....  I was hoping this would be our last New Car purchase....  And it will be, because the Piggy Bank is Empty....  We are Stuck with what we have..... 

Senior in Fl....     Jim  ;-)
kidsenclave
Enclave GOD!

Trying to please 100% of people 100% of the time.

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: September 03, 2012, 01:34:12 PM »

I have a question,   the transmissions that have failing wave plates,  do any of these Enclaves have the optional Tow Pkg.    Heat is the number one cause of transmission failures. So the extra trans cooler would seem to help these wave plates to last longer.....   Also just a thought,   it has been my experience with trannies that are constantly shifting or hunting for the correct gear,   that shifting back and forth is not good.   In the old days it would cause friction and slipping ,   which adds Heat to the Transmission.   My Enclave's shifting trans drove me crazy,  so most of the time I lock out 6th gear and if Towing I will lock out 5th gear....  I would Hope GM would stand behind this Transmission,  if  it is  truly a known defective  part....   Or else in the long run GM will loose more Market Share,  which GM can not afford...   So does any Enclaves have a Failed Wave Plate and also Have A Tow Package Option???

Thanks for Any Info.....
I like this theory, since mine has the tow package.   wink

2009 Enclave CX FWD 8 passenger, silver green metallic, ebony cloth, driver's conf. package, tow package.  (Was an order, built July 28th 2008, delivered to us July 31st 2008)
2014 Ford Escape SE 4wd sunset, wife's vehicle, our first Ford
1972 Pontiac GTO.  Owned since 1998

GO GREEN!
XRDreamliner

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: September 03, 2012, 01:55:54 PM »

Do you have a late program trans code # for a 2008...  I was told by my dealer, that is all they could do to fix the shift points.   
Senior in Fl....     Jim  ;-)

Are you engaging the two/haul mode when pulling the trailer?  Conversely, you need to de-select it when you are not pulling the trailer.  The tow/haul mode makes a difference when pulling a trailer, especially up and down grades.

I don't know when the program was last updated for the 6T75 transmission, but when I asked the Saturn dealer when I purchased it used in Feb 2010, I was assured it had the latest programming (yeah, it could have been a fib - go figure).

2009 Outlook XR AWD
Cocoa Brown w/Tan
Build Date: 11/08
Purchase Date:  Feb 2010 w/19K miles

2008 Audi RS4 Cabriolet

2003 Audi A4 Quattro
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #278 on: September 03, 2012, 02:55:10 PM »

I like this theory, since mine has the tow package.   wink

I forgot that your Enclave has the tow package. I guess that I never read the member signatures, either. Happy

jma

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: September 03, 2012, 05:11:11 PM »

Yes, I use the tow/haul mode when towing only.   I think it really just holds back the Car & RV going down steep grades.   The Enclave seems to coast more if not in THM...  Which may be good for fuel mileage,  but bad for brake pads.   I try not to think about this Transmission to much,  I just get Tick-Off......   Like I said the double down shift is just not needed for 5 seconds, with a big increase in RPM's....  That is in my opinion,  not great for the engine or trans.....   The Govt. can send a vehicle to Mars and drive around,  but Govt. Motors can not get my 6T75 Transmission to shift correctly.....   O-Well, I have given up,  I can not change it,  we are suppose to be Enjoying Our Golden Years.....    The Only thing Golden is the Color of Our Enclave....   :-)   "Live & Learn"....

Jim in Fl...
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories