Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
November 24, 2014, 02:42:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Enclave? Check out the all new Cadillac SRX at http://www.SRXForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Towing Capacity: Enclave vs Acadia  (Read 25571 times, 21 Replies)
GldnDomr

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2011, 04:40:39 PM »

I am contemplating purchasing either an Acadia Denali or an Enclave within the next week.  Enclave with trailering package lists towing capacity at 4500#.  Acadia Denali lists 5200#.  Specs show both with identical horsepower, torque, gross vehicle weight, and gear ratio.  So does anybody know what accounts for the extra 700 pounds of towing capacity for the Acadia?  Thanks. Huh?
rbarrios
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 04:49:24 PM »

dont know if theres a definitive answer...
but Ive always suspected that Buicks 4 yr/50,000 bumper to bumper over the Acadias and Traverses 3 yr/36,000 has somethinh to do with it.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-   84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
medicrxdoc

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 06:19:29 PM »

My guess would be something in the Enclave's suspension to make the ride softer.
encadia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 06:21:35 PM »

My guess would be something in the Enclave's suspension to make the ride softer.

I would agree...the suspension on the Acadia is stiffer and sportier than the Enclave.

(mine)2007 GMC Acadia SLT2, AWD, Medium brown metallic/brick leather, HUD, towing pkg, dual sunroofs, remote start, 20" Denali wheels, chrome side rails
(hers)2008 Buick Enclave CXL, FWD, blue-gold/titanium leather, dual sunroofs, remote start, 19" chrome plated wheels
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 06:56:36 PM »

There has also been rumor about the improved airflow through the grill, compared to the Enclave, contributing to the rating difference.

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
GldnDomr

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 10:39:54 PM »

Stiffer suspension has been the way I am guessing, too, since the other measurables are identical.  But I'm still curious.  Wonder if the Acadia suspension is so much stiffer it becomes rough?
sciond
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 04:55:46 PM »

There has also been rumor about the improved airflow through the grill, compared to the Enclave, contributing to the rating difference.
I have heard the same

2010 MB ML350 Bluetec (just sold)
2011 Enclave Gold Mist CXl-2-Nav,Sun, HTR.20's(SOLD)
2013 Explorer Sport 3 rows of seating and fast
2015 SQ5  whoosh
encadia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 09:15:26 PM »

Stiffer suspension has been the way I am guessing, too, since the other measurables are identical.  But I'm still curious.  Wonder if the Acadia suspension is so much stiffer it becomes rough?

No...it's actually a really nice ride.

(mine)2007 GMC Acadia SLT2, AWD, Medium brown metallic/brick leather, HUD, towing pkg, dual sunroofs, remote start, 20" Denali wheels, chrome side rails
(hers)2008 Buick Enclave CXL, FWD, blue-gold/titanium leather, dual sunroofs, remote start, 19" chrome plated wheels
Sailfish
Enclave GOD!

Volunteer with Sheltie rescue organizations

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 09:17:52 PM »

Okay the 07 Outlook did have a stiffer ride than the 11 Enclave.  Although as I said it was stiffer it was still a much better riding vehicle than one would imagine.  Way better than the 03 VUE which I still have.

11 Enclave CXL2 WDT FWD 20" Wheels build 11/10 purchase 2/11
05 Nissan 350Z convertible - husband's
03 Saturn VUE V6 AWD - was my Mother carry around vehicle

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

Albert Einstein
Rostrow416

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 11:02:52 PM »

I vote suspension.. The enclave has higher ground clearance than any other lambda, mayber to contribute to its smoother ride.  But it's the only difference that would affect towing capacity
Bigbit

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 11:10:33 PM »

I asked this question a year ago in the towing sub forum here: http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=6445.0

The answer from Buick customer service was:

"the 2009 Enclave does have the transmission cooler, wiring harness and factory installed hitch.  However, the Chevrolet Traverse has additional cooling capacity, additional structure in the bumper and a modified tow hitch to facilitate the increased towing capacity of 5200 pounds.  Also the Buick Enclave and the Chevrolet Traverse have the same hitch which would have the same sticker which reads the 5200 pound towing rate."

If you look at the OEM hitch on the Enclave, it actually says 5200 pounds.  But The manual is correct.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:14:45 PM by Bigbit » Logged

Regards,

Bigbit

2009 ENCLAVE CXL FWD, SUNROOF, LUXURY PCKG, DRIVER CONFIDENCE PCKG, ENTERTAINMENT PCKG #4, CONSOLE, SECOND ROW, HEATED & COOLED SEATS, CARGO CONVENIENCE PCKG, TRAILERING PCKG, CARBON BLACK METALLIC, EBONY INTERIOR; ANSWERS TO "CLIFFY"
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 12:20:02 PM »

I asked this question a year ago in the towing sub forum here: http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=6445.0

The answer from Buick customer service was:

"the 2009 Enclave does have the transmission cooler, wiring harness and factory installed hitch.  However, the Chevrolet Traverse has additional cooling capacity, additional structure in the bumper and a modified tow hitch to facilitate the increased towing capacity of 5200 pounds.  Also the Buick Enclave and the Chevrolet Traverse have the same hitch which would have the same sticker which reads the 5200 pound towing rate."

If you look at the OEM hitch on the Enclave, it actually says 5200 pounds.  But The manual is correct.

I guess that we have a winner. wink

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
GldnDomr

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 03:08:42 PM »

thanks, all.
milehighassassin

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 03:38:24 PM »

I know this is an old thread, but the reason the Buick is rated to tow less weight than the Acadia is because the Enclave has approximately 500 lbs of extra insulation. 

GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 04:17:52 PM »

I know this is an old thread, but the reason the Buick is rated to tow less weight than the Acadia is because the Enclave has approximately 500 lbs of extra insulation. 

Welcome to the forum. 500 lbs. of sound insulation seems pretty amazing to me. I guess that is partly why the Enclave is do.quiet for a large crossover body design. How much more insulation does it have than the Acadia?

ICU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 06:10:06 PM »

500 lbs ?

I don't think so.
The Enclave does have different glass to make the ride quite, and some additional insulation.

If it was true that it had that much more, then the weight of the vehicle would be that much more.
Most Lambdas are pretty close in weight (comparing them option for option).

If the Enclave weight was actually 500 lbs. more then the gas mileage rating would have to be less.

Think about it.  If you carried 500 lbs. of cement around all the time wouldn't that cut down on fuel economy Huh?

Either the poster was trying to be funny on their first post or they have been misinformed.

2010 AWD Acadia SLT2
stealthbob

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 09:08:14 PM »

To be honest...the first thing that came to mind was that good insulation is full of air and is very light.

Maybe its lead that is used to sound prof the glass?

2012 Black on Black CXL1

rpasetto
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 07:43:27 AM »

500 lbs ?

I don't think so.
The Enclave does have different glass to make the ride quite, and some additional insulation.

If it was true that it had that much more, then the weight of the vehicle would be that much more.
Most Lambdas are pretty close in weight (comparing them option for option).

If the Enclave weight was actually 500 lbs. more then the gas mileage rating would have to be less.

Think about it.  If you carried 500 lbs. of cement around all the time wouldn't that cut down on fuel economy Huh?

Either the poster was trying to be funny on their first post or they have been misinformed.

I checked the "vehicle comparisons" at both the Buick.com and GMC.com websites; could not find curb weight listed for either vehicle.  Edmunds lists 4780# curb weight for the Enclave,  vs 4656 for the Acadia.  Only 24lb. and that's probably comparing the base models.

.. RP
08 Enclave Cocoa/Cashmere, Sunroof, Nav, Driver Conf.
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
― Stephen Hawking
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 11:49:04 AM »

Actually, the difference from your source is 124 lbs. I am not sure of the sound deadening materials used in the Enclave, but some can be fairly heavy. A good example is asphalt, which Lexus famously pioneered in automotive sound deadening technology during the late 1980s.

rpasetto
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 08:48:29 PM »

Actually, the difference from your source is 124 lbs. I am not sure of the sound deadening materials used in the Enclave, but some can be fairly heavy. A good example is asphalt, which Lexus famously pioneered in automotive sound deadening technology during the late 1980s.

Wow!  I can't even read my own writing  Shocked Shocked

The most puzzling thing was that the comparisons at both Buick and GMC websites didn't have weight ratings.  The comparison on Edmunds took the "base" models of each, a $36+k Enclave vs $32+k Acadia.  They show the  max Payload for the Enclave as 1631#, vs 1689# so the Acadia is rated to carry 58# more (if I read the numbers right and did the math right this time  Smiley ).  That 58# difference might be the sound deadening after all.... or it could be the base model E' has 58# of standard stuff that are not on the Acadia.  (or 128#)  Huh?

Back to tow capacity, the premium models of both vehicles still show the Enclave with 4500# tow capacity vs 5200 for the Acadia.   The difference might be attributable to other things besides curb weights and carrying capacity inside the vehicles.  Differences in braking, suspension or gearing can also contribute to a vehicle's tow rating.

.. RP
08 Enclave Cocoa/Cashmere, Sunroof, Nav, Driver Conf.
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
― Stephen Hawking
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories