Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
November 23, 2014, 10:27:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Enclave? Check out the all new Cadillac SRX at http://www.SRXForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine stalls/quits while driving!  (Read 13046 times, 66 Replies)
whoonuu

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 01:03:21 PM »

Hmmmmm, I see a pattern.  This "first time poster" went from a "supposedly" concerned owner just looking for help, to very quickly praising Infiniti and bashing Buick.  I sense an agenda and call total  BS on this thread.

Note to others....if you truly are having a problem and you want help from this forum, the way to get it is NOT by coming here and putting your import on a pedestal as if they are perfect and never have problems and claiming the Enclave is the biggest piece of crap ever built.

Really?Huh?  For crying out loud, I have a SERIOUS and DANGEROUS issue with my Enclave. I made a TINY little comment regarding my husband's car, I did not go off into details. The only people putting their vehicles on pedestals are the "healthy" Enclave owners who have found a home here on these forums, a place in which to share their positive opinions of their Enclaves in the middle of threads where there is some serious searching for answers to a potentially deadly problem going on. I am a "First time poster" because I am desperate.  Please, PLEASE have respect for this.
whoonuu

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 01:11:28 PM »

I contacted this person, Michelle Phillips whom I keep seeing on this forum, I checked my email and was happy to see she replied back. Here's the email:
=====================================================================================================
Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about your situation with your 2008 Buick Enclave.  I would like to set up a case for you about this.  By setting up a case with General Motors, this will allow us to get with the dealership and work continue to work with you and them towards a resolution.

In order for me to proceed, I will need the following information:
-Your first and last name
-Your address
-A telephone number that is best to contact you at along with a time frame that you feel is best.
-The VIN and current mileage on the vehicle.  I realize that the vehicle is at the dealership so an approximate mileage would work too.
-The name and location of the dealership that is working with you at this time on this.

Once I get the above information, I can proceed in getting this case set up for you.

Sincerely,
Michelle Phillips, Buick Customer Service
=================================================================================================================

I am so grateful that she is going to try and assist. Maybe she will see this thread and leave her comment as to how "REAL" of a person I am, with "REAL" problems going on with my Buick Enclave.
Sailfish
Enclave GOD!

Volunteer with Sheltie rescue organizations

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 01:27:07 PM »

I am sure Michelle will help you.

BUT you did not like kidsenclave's response nor did you appreciate what ccaats said and I am pretty darn sure your comment back to me....well let's just say I didn't appreciate it.  AFTER ALL you did not inform anyone as to what part of the country you lived in and you totally dismissed those of us who believe the previous water leaks may be an issue with your vehicle.

You see we, the members who have been here way longer, have a lot more experience as to what may be happening with your vehicle. Oh and that includes me having dealt with water leaks and how sneaky they really are getting into everything from the front to the back of the vehicle. 

I believe you said that is why you joined and posted your question and you were given some real opinions on this.

As for any questions you may post down the road.......

Oh and have a great day.  wink

11 Enclave CXL2 WDT FWD 20" Wheels build 11/10 purchase 2/11
05 Nissan 350Z convertible - husband's
03 Saturn VUE V6 AWD - was my Mother carry around vehicle

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

Albert Einstein
rbarrios
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 01:36:08 PM »

Water intrusion can lead to corrosion- that will show itself over time.
Fretting may be the issue the engine is dying.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-   84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
Sailfish
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 01:38:19 PM »

Water intrusion can lead to corrosion- that will show itself over time.
Fretting may be the issue the engine is dying.

Yea what he said same thing as mentioned previously.  thumbs up

Albert Einstein
ls973800

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 01:40:48 PM »

In no way do I believe the OP should have been called out about mentioning how dependable the Infinity has been compared to the Enclave.  Heck, they've had the water leak and battery problems known to happen on the 08 Enclave.

They've had a master cylinder leak into the brake booster.  Now they have an engine which cuts out while driving for no reason.  They have just signed up on this forum to get help or answers, and they are attacked for mentioning something about a car that hasn't given them near the problems that the Enclave has.

Do people really think posts are being made about one subject all of a sudden just to bad mouth the Enclave?  What benefit do they get out of that?   You should be able to tell if it's a troll posting, or someone really trying to get help.

Whoonuu, welcome to the forum, and I hope you get your problems resolved.  I hope you stick around and can learn about your Enclave from these forums.  thumbs up

2010 Summit White Traverse LTZ,  SOLD 4/2012 
2015 Traverse 2LT Siren Red Tintcoat-36 Month Lease
whoonuu

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 01:45:06 PM »

I am sure Michelle will help you.

BUT you did not like kidsenclave's response nor did you appreciate what ccaats said and I am pretty darn sure your comment back to me....well let's just say I didn't appreciate it.  AFTER ALL you did not inform anyone as to what part of the country you lived in and you totally dismissed those of us who believe the previous water leaks may be an issue with your vehicle.

You see we, the members who have been here way longer, have a lot more experience as to what may be happening with your vehicle. Oh and that includes me having dealt with water leaks and how sneaky they really are getting into everything from the front to the back of the vehicle. 

I believe you said that is why you joined and posted your question and you were given some real opinions on this.

As for any questions you may post down the road.......

Oh and have a great day.  wink

Do you realize what you are doing? You are making up the "tone" in which I write things. That's the problem with interpreting text only. I am sorry that I don't write more descriptively, my comments were never intended to come across the way you interpreted them, especially to you, because honestly you didn't say anything out of the scope of the issue at hand. I understand there are others who obviously love their Enclaves, but in the middle of finding answers to an extremely serous issue (my children are usually in the car with me!) it isn't helpful to hear anything other than problem solving.

I doubt I will post any other questions on this board because I will be trading in/or selling my Enclave as soon as possible. I hope that all of you with Enclaves continue to be problem free, because I wouldn't wish anybody an engine stall at 65 mph on a busy highway, with kids in the car. Good sense and reaction has to overide panic and sometimes that is very difficult. If my tone is interpreted as anything other than sunny and positive, it is justified in the middle of this virtual nightmare.
whoonuu

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 01:49:08 PM »

In no way do I believe the OP should have been called out about mentioning how dependable the Infinity has been compared to the Enclave.  Heck, they've had the water leak and battery problems known to happen on the 08 Enclave.

They've had a master cylinder leak into the brake booster.  Now they have an engine which cuts out while driving for no reason.  They have just signed up on this forum to get help or answers, and they are attacked for mentioning something about a car that hasn't given them near the problems that the Enclave has.

Do people really think posts are being made about one subject all of a sudden just to bad mouth the Enclave?  What benefit do they get out of that?   You should be able to tell if it's a troll posting, or someone really trying to get help.

Whoonuu, welcome to the forum, and I hope you get your problems resolved.  I hope you stick around and can learn about your Enclave from these forums.  thumbs up

Wow. Somebody reported me? This is ridiculous, absolutely crazy.

Thanks ls973800. I appreciate your comments.
kidsenclave
Enclave GOD!

Trying to please 100% of people 100% of the time.

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 01:49:49 PM »

Some ideas for posting about a problem:  First off, like going to the doctor's office...be real, and tell us the details of your vehicle, year, miles, and past repairs.  (you never know what might be a past problem causing something new)  Also, mentioning your location and climate is a plus too.  (like Sailfish pointed out)  Now, on to how this forum works....it's not just about someone only commenting that has solution, sometimes it's about just chat that may or may not lead to a solution.  I brought up other threads about water leaks, and low and behold...you had one in the past, so me just rambling brought out a possible cause...something you can share with the dealer which might lead to the root cause, and a solution.  (not trying to over embelish what I said...just point out that in this case, it brought up something we didn't know, your water leak).  Just saying, don't dismiss a post that seems like rambling to be of no help to you, it may be surprising to find things out when people are just chatting on here.  Next, the blanket statements (and I've been guilty of this in the past) where you say something like "I would not recommend to anyone that they buy an Enclave. Looks great but is completely unreliable." is saying that ALL Enclaves are unreliable, and that NO ONE should buy one.  Also, comments like " I wish it would blow up so I didn't have to be an Enclave owner" are statements that don't go over very well, especially since you are talking to Enclave owners here....just saying.

I totally get your frustration, but just because of that doesn't mean tact goes out the window when seeking help here.

Michelle should be of help to you, and when it's all sorted out..let us know what she and the dealer finds out, because regardless of the back and forth comments, the real topic here is to help each other....and with a cause noted when all said and done, that will help the rest of us to know what to look out for and/or to alert our dealers if this ever happens to us.

2009 Enclave CX FWD 8 passenger, silver green metallic, ebony cloth, driver's conf. package, tow package.  (Was an order, built July 28th 2008, delivered to us July 31st 2008)
2014 Ford Escape SE 4wd sunset, wife's vehicle, our first Ford
1972 Pontiac GTO.  Owned since 1998

GO GREEN!
Sailfish
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 01:51:51 PM »

whoonuu  your correct the written/typed word does not portray the inflection of our tone of voice as it would if we would speak the comment.  (edit: because then you would hear my southern drawl....and I am a Yankee born and reared up here in Ohio...with a few years in the Bible belt of Tennessee)

That is why I generally try and use the "emotions" to reflect my intent.  If the tone of my writing does not have humorous "emotions" as in smileys or winks then one can presume that I am not in a light mood at the time I write/type anything.

So again...have a great day.  wink  Grin
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:57:54 PM by Sailfish » Logged

Albert Einstein
whoonuu

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2011, 06:13:09 PM »

Update:

Replaced ECM (Engine Control Module). They think that the fact the engine stalls with no warning alerts/dash lighting up PLUS the random battery problems (car won't start but accessories work -- and yes I mentioned battery problems in a previous post -- when mentioned twice to the tech he didn't think the two were related, now he does). Hoping this is the right fix, if not will post more updates for any lucky persons that find themselves in the same situation.

My husband is still afraid for me to drive (and I am not a wimpy female, I think it has more to do with children) so we will switch vehicles, no name brands mentioned, until comfortable.
john 070
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2011, 07:25:12 PM »

Update:

Replaced ECM (Engine Control Module). They think that the fact the engine stalls with no warning alerts/dash lighting up PLUS the random battery problems (car won't start but accessories work -- and yes I mentioned battery problems in a previous post -- when mentioned twice to the tech he didn't think the two were related, now he does). Hoping this is the right fix, if not will post more updates for any lucky persons that find themselves in the same situation.

My husband is still afraid for me to drive (and I am not a wimpy female, I think it has more to do with children) so we will switch vehicles, no name brands mentioned, until comfortable.

None of us can really know for sure, but my hunch is you'll be ok.  If it makes you feel better, take the car out early when there's no traffic, and test it, over a period of time.  I've been through this with the BMW--they had the car 3 1/2 wks., tore all the carpeting out and removed the seats, tracing the optical cabling, and when they were stumped, they replaced the DME per the mfg. (that's what BMW calls the ecu, like Coke is cola, etc.).  It's great that GM is willing to replace that and not make you jump through hoops.  BMW is not willing to replace things without proof, there's no we think it would help so go ahead, which I think GM is willing to do.  I looked it up and an Enclave remanuf. motor is like $4400.  A 335i motor is like 11.7k remanuf.  So I think it's very feasible for GM to just replace without knowing the root cause, and that's good for us.

And the random battery problems make common sense to me.  I have witnessed on the BMW the orderly shutdown of accessories when the battery was weak--heated steering wheel, rear defrost, bluetooth dropping, reconnecting, dropping, heated seats, etc., all of which are considered non-essential (though defrost could be depending).  ABC news did a news story on the BMW N54 motor, so if it were that serious, I'm sure they'd do it on Buick too if it were warranted.  But I doubt it's widespread, just poor quality maybe in your case.  But the part has been replaced.  Good luck!

'11 CXL1 AWD, white diamond, navi, sunroof, NE emissions
GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2011, 02:08:13 PM »

Good luck, and let us know how things go over time. wink

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
whoonuu

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2011, 12:54:30 PM »

For future trouble-shooting seekers, I want to post an email that I received from somebody yesterday -- similar problem -- if I get any updates from this person I will post it or possibly start a new thread for him.  As for me, my Enclave is currently at the shop over the weekend (no surprise there) for continuing battery/starter issues. It fails to start at random times, will sometimes start after several tries. Haven't driven it a whole lot as my husband surprised me with a new luxury cross-over (no Make mentioned, delicate subject around the board) but the engine stall problem appears to have been resolved, fingers crossed. Plan on selling it as soon as we resolve the current problem. I am on a first-name basis with the foreman now, he seems like a very competent person so I am sure if anybody can figure this problem out it will be him.

Here is the email:

Here is what happened to us in our 2010 Enclave with 14000 miles last week. My wife and I were on the first day of our 4800 mile trip to Az. We were going to KY for Thanksgiving then onto to AZ for 3 weeks. We left lower Michigan and about 300 miles into our trip this is what happened. We were driving with the cruise off due to heavy traffic. I was in the middle lane of I-75, north of Cincinnati at 65 mph. The tach suddenly went to 4000 rpm (est) and then down to under 800 rpm. We lost power and coasted for a few seconds. It gained power again and we safely got into the slow lane and drove slow (50mph). It happened once more so we pulled off a side road. All seemed good till  we went to merge back onto I-75, same thing at a slower speed. That is when I pulled off and called GM roadside service. We continued back about 14 miles to Kerry Buick/GMC in Cincinnati. No problems on the way there. This was the day before thanksgiving and we were worried about getting service. The Servive rep took us right in. Gave him the story and he took my keys and headed out for a 8 mile trial drive. Then checked for error codes and saw none. We were back on the road within 40 minutes with nothing being done. Not much they could do I guess. We continued on with worry of course. Made it to KY and then onto AZ. We had no trouble what-so-ever in the next 2000 miles. Hope all stays good, sitting on the side of the freeway is not fun, and in the middle of nowhere in the I40 freeways in OK, NM and Texas would suck. Nice cmfy ride and with 22.3 mpg in a vechile this size is great
whoonuu

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2011, 01:07:18 PM »

okay, I just noticed that he posted in the "sudden deceleration" thread -- so that's good. I hope your issue is resolved maddeclan!!
whoonuu

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2011, 07:10:07 PM »

Picked up the Enclave yesterday after days in the shop, they were waiting for the battery to act up, which it never did "for them".  Well today guess what? It failed to start twice AND, here's the kicker, it stalled on the way home from work, while driving of course.

Looking into filing a Lemon Law claim.
Buick Customer Service
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2011, 03:17:29 PM »

Picked up the Enclave yesterday after days in the shop, they were waiting for the battery to act up, which it never did "for them".  Well today guess what? It failed to start twice AND, here's the kicker, it stalled on the way home from work, while driving of course.

whoonuu,
I would like to apologize for the frustrations and inconveniences that you have been experiencing with your Enclave. I would like to look into this for you. I am going to send you a private message to gather more information from you.
Thank you,
Stacy Buick Customer Service

~Buick Customer Service

my.buick.com
john 070
Enclave Guru

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2011, 08:43:40 AM »

Knock on wood I hope none of us experience what you are, but I have had the same experience as you're having with another make, and the problem was ultimately fixed when I started to transform from a spineless jellyfish to Donald J Trump.  Not being able to find anything is unacceptable, because either you're making up the fact that the vehicle stalled, or there is something wrong with the vehicle.  Maybe they should loan you a new Cadillac CTS-V while they fix your Enclave.  No fix, no Cadillac back.  Let's see how quickly the problem is solved.

Nobody should have to pay hard-earned money and wind up with a vehicle they cannot even drive.  That is unless you have a spare 40k in your pocket, in that case, just buy a Pilot and be happy for 10-15 years and be done with it.  thumbs up  Good luck.

'11 CXL1 AWD, white diamond, navi, sunroof, NE emissions
whoonuu

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2011, 10:18:30 AM »

Thanks john -- No, trust me, no spineless jellyfish here! LOL My husband and I are staying on top of this. 

Currently the problems were discussed by Engineering, they believe there is something wrong with losing voltage, something to do with the starter -- both the battery issue and the engine stalls point to this (they say). There are three parts on order for this monday. I will post more specific details once I get that information on paper. 

On one occasion the vehicle was picked up directly from our driveway so they know we aren't hurting: they saw my new car, my husband's car and my son's car -- but I haven't asked for anything. I will be completely happy if they just fix that darn thing!

Maxfli5

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 06:20:57 PM »

I just googled "Buick Enclave stalls" and found this forum and thread.  My wife has this exact problem.  We have a 2008 Enclave with 65k miles.  Hers stalls while driving and also won't start at times.  The not starting happened to me once.  I pulled it out of park then back in.  Fired right up.  When it doesn't start it's as if the battery is totally dead but that is not the case.  The bigger issue is the stalling while driving.  Scared her to death.  It just came out of service where they said there was a TSB on this issue.  No problem, it was fixed.  Not so fast.  It came out of the shop on Monday and wouldn't start on Wednesday. It eventually did.  Today (Thursday) is stalled while she was driving and wouldn't fire back up.  Towed back to the dealership to try again.

Our service department seems to be as lost as your service deparment.  They will start working on it again tomorrow.  I'll keep you posted.

John
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories