Enclaveforum.net
Bookmark and Share
July 28, 2014, 06:29:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Enclave? Check out the all new Cadillac SRX at http://www.SRXForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best all around tire for 19" rims on Buick Enclave  (Read 13785 times, 45 Replies)
Ghost2121

Ignore
« on: December 20, 2011, 01:55:43 AM »

I'm currently looking for some tire options for my Enclave....it currently has the Cooper CS4's on it but the front passenger tire prematurely went bald after about 4k miles Bang Head. I'm pissed and I'm looking for tires with a good UTOG rating that can honestly handle the snow (I live in Pittsburgh)....what are your thoughts?Huh?

2013 Carbon Black Metallic Buick Enclave, Premium Group, Hit the road package, DVD Nav, Ultimate rear entertainment package, heated & cooled seats, dual moonroofs, 19" wheels, 7 passenger seating
Sailfish
Enclave GOD!

Volunteer with Sheltie rescue organizations

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 06:53:50 AM »

Is the company or Cooper going to honor any kind of warranty on the tire?  Going bald after 4000 mile they should give you another tire.

There are several tire threads which were started on this board for you to check out.

I am partial to Michelin but there are some people who prefer others.

11 Enclave CXL2 WDT FWD 20" Wheels build 11/10 purchase 2/11
05 Nissan 350Z convertible - husband's
03 Saturn VUE V6 AWD - was my Mother carry around vehicle

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
Albert Einstein

BadAV
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 07:14:19 AM »

We've got the OEM Michelin 19" tires on our E and I've been less than impressed with the snow performance. It's not like I've ever been stuck but you have to be really careful; they just don't grip very well on takeoff or on turns. I can't give you any further help as we are at about 46k miles on our E and still have 1/3 or more tread left. I believe someone (Gold Enclave?) here posted they were pretty impressed with the snow performance their recent Hankook replacements, and happy overall also. I've got about 20k miles on a set of Hankooks on my Avalanche; they have been great tires.

I agree with Sailfish; if there's only 4k miles on the CS4's you should get a free replacement no questions asked, unless it was a front-end alignment issue.

Wife's: 2014 TorRed Dodge Charger SXT Plus, replaced 2008 Enclave CXL

My toy: '02 Avalanche w/4.10's - Magnacharged w/3" pulley, 2600 stall, built tranny, 216/224-0.551"/0.551-115 LSA cam, headers, HP Tuners self tuned

Daily driver: 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited w/Special Appearance Pkg
BadAV
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 07:31:13 AM »

I'll add another thought that's been echoed here before; you could change your rims out for 18" or 20". There's a lot more tire choices in either one of these sizes.

My toy: '02 Avalanche w/4.10's - Magnacharged w/3" pulley, 2600 stall, built tranny, 216/224-0.551"/0.551-115 LSA cam, headers, HP Tuners self tuned

Sailfish
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 07:33:33 AM »

Humm I didn't think there were that many options out there for the 20".  

I am probably wrong since I have not checked since I am hoping to not need tires on mine for a long while.  Or is it because Michelin doesn't make 20"?

Either way as BadAV also stated they should replace that tire for free unless it is due to poor alignment.

Oh and what year and how many miles on your Enclave?  Just curious.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 07:35:05 AM by Sailfish » Logged

Albert Einstein

wvuguy
Enclave Freak

Let's go Mountaineers/Pens Here we go Steelers

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 08:03:32 AM »

You may indeed have gotten stuck with a bad tire.....it's certainly been known to happen, and I find it hard to believe your dealer won't step up if there is/was some kind of tire-related defect. 

But that possibility aside, a tire with so little mileage "going bald"....whatever that means exactly.....indicates the possibility of some fairly serious front end problem.  BTW, I take your comments to mean the problem is confined to the right front, and that the other tires are wearing normally;  please correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the "best all around tire", I don't think there is such a thing.  No matter what you choose, you'll find someone who loves what you hate.....like me, for example, who has always been a Cooper fan, and just put four new CS4's on my kids' car a month ago.....others who hate what you love, and everything in between. 

I started my own new thread on this exact subject yesterday, and when I started to notice what I personally consider to be premature wear on the OEM Michelins, started researching new tires better than 6 months ago.  I'm honestly not even close to figuring out what's "best".....of course, everyone is aware of the fact there are so few alternatives (relatively speaking) in 19" sizes.

The other issue to acknowledge, beyond the actual product ownership experience, is that price is always a contributing factor in this equation......as you must personally admit after already having bought the lower-priced Cooper rather than the OEM brands as a replacement.

'09 CXL FWD (invoiced 9/4/08, delivered 12/18/08) -- WDT/Cashmere, Roofs, DC with heated removed, Lux, Ent #1, Chromes, WeatherTech (installed 12/27/08), Venture Shield (applied 1/6/09), Molded SG's (installed 1/17/09).  Replaced 3/16/12 with a 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited.
Ghost2121

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 10:41:57 AM »

Sailfish:
2008 Buick Enclave CXL AWD fully loaded with every option except for step rails and mudflaps, Nav and DVD entertainment system as well...

As far as the dealer stepping up to replace the tire....I flew to NYC to buy it and that dealership is a piece of shit. I bought it from plaza auto mall in Brooklyn. Mind you I live in Pittsburgh Pa but yeah, I bought it with 38,600 miles on it and currently have 42,639 miles on it. When I bought the truck all of tires were brand new and when I drove it home and check them they had 12/32nd's left....the right front passenger is damn near showing its cords and the driver side front tire is down to about 4/32nds. I wish I could have cooper honor the tires however I'm not the one who purchased them and I'm not sure if their warranty would even come into play.

I just got back from a GM dealership thats not too far from my home and I was told my truck needs an alignment...so yeah I doubt Cooper will honor the warranty but I will still call them and try....

2013 Carbon Black Metallic Buick Enclave, Premium Group, Hit the road package, DVD Nav, Ultimate rear entertainment package, heated & cooled seats, dual moonroofs, 19" wheels, 7 passenger seating
Blue Oval

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 10:53:04 AM »

[/I was told my truck needs an alignmentquote]

When getting the alignment ask them to fully inspect everything in the steering system that moves and also ask them to look for any evidence of prior accident damage.  If the vehicle has been in a body shop on a body alignment machine there will be evidence of clamp marks on the rocker pinch welds and also where the pulling chains were attached to stretch the vehicle back in shape.  Hopefully you just have an alignment problem.
Ghost2121

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 01:38:16 PM »

[/I was told my truck needs an alignmentquote]

When getting the alignment ask them to fully inspect everything in the steering system that moves and also ask them to look for any evidence of prior accident damage.  If the vehicle has been in a body shop on a body alignment machine there will be evidence of clamp marks on the rocker pinch welds and also where the pulling chains were attached to stretch the vehicle back in shape.  Hopefully you just have an alignment problem.

LOL My vehicle is GM Certified and I ran carfax on it...I'm pretty sure it wasn't but yeah they did...the dealer I go to is awesome!

ls973800

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 03:27:15 PM »

As far as the dealer stepping up to replace the tire....I flew to NYC to buy it and that dealership is a piece of shit.

I hope that isn't reflected in the dealerships business practice of certifying his cars, also.  Unfortunately, the dealership is the one who does all the inspections to certify the car and I've seen items "overlooked" to make sure it didn't cost the dealer anything to meet the certification.

Carfax is a good source of information, but does have it's faults.  Depending when the car might have been in a wreck, where it happened, if it was reported to the insurance company or not, etc, not all vital information will show up.

Your Carfax should show if it was a trade in or an auction purchase, again depending on how recently it was brought in by the dealer.  It is also recommended to check the other source, Autocheck, because some times one will show something the other did not.

For a tire to wear almost bald in 4000, you must be feeling something in the handling.  Vibration, pulling, etc.  Hope you get it solved.  Good luck.

2010 Summit White Traverse LTZ, Nav, Sunroof, Rear Entertainment, Towing, Rear Buckets w/Console-Added $3.00 Nav By-Pass, Rearview Mirror w/Compass, Cabin Air Filter, Lights to Homelink Buttons  SOLD 4/2012
Ghost2121

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 04:40:13 PM »

As far as the dealer stepping up to replace the tire....I flew to NYC to buy it and that dealership is a piece of shit.

I hope that isn't reflected in the dealerships business practice of certifying his cars, also.  Unfortunately, the dealership is the one who does all the inspections to certify the car and I've seen items "overlooked" to make sure it didn't cost the dealer anything to meet the certification.

Carfax is a good source of information, but does have it's faults.  Depending when the car might have been in a wreck, where it happened, if it was reported to the insurance company or not, etc, not all vital information will show up.

Your Carfax should show if it was a trade in or an auction purchase, again depending on how recently it was brought in by the dealer.  It is also recommended to check the other source, Autocheck, because some times one will show something the other did not.

For a tire to wear almost bald in 4000, you must be feeling something in the handling.  Vibration, pulling, etc.  Hope you get it solved.  Good luck.

Yeah the dealership in NYC didn't certify the vehicle....hell the dealership in NYC isn't even a GM dealership. An actual buick dealership certified it and the dealership in NYC bought it off them...the certified warranty just carried over. My current dealership has already looked over everything to a T and told me my Enclave is in excellent condition....just needs an alignment..lol Thanks for your comments though as they are extremely helpful due to the fact this is my first buick and my first enclave. I really don't know this vehicle too well but I am learning it as I go along...

Sailfish
Enclave GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 04:55:36 PM »

Yeah the dealership in NYC didn't certify the vehicle....hell the dealership in NYC isn't even a GM dealership. An actual buick dealership certified it and the dealership in NYC bought it off them...the certified warranty just carried over. My current dealership has already looked over everything to a T and told me my Enclave is in excellent condition....just needs an alignment..lol Thanks for your comments though as they are extremely helpful due to the fact this is my first buick and my first enclave. I really don't know this vehicle too well but I am learning it as I go along...

There you go that will wear out a tire pretty fast.  It could even just wear out one tire if it is that one wheel/strut that is out of whack.

Albert Einstein

Ghost2121

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 05:51:14 PM »

There you go that will wear out a tire pretty fast.  It could even just wear out one tire if it is that one wheel/strut that is out of whack.

Yeah pretty much...but its ok I just ordered 2 new CS4's for 300 bucks  Grin thumbs up

ORV

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 05:52:46 PM »

I had my front end aligned today. When I replaced the tires last week the tire dealer looked at the front tires and showed me uneven wear on the inside fronts. I felt nothing, no vibration, no pull, no misalignment of the steering wheel. They showed me on the computer today where it was out of alignment. I didn't want the new tires to wear prematurely. He said this contributed some to my OEM's only getting 45k but he also stated the tires shouldn't have worn that badly with the small amount of misalignment.

We had a discussion about driving conditions and the types of road you drive on and how that relates to tire wear. He said someone that drives on curvy roads and might live on secondary county type roads would see wear much faster than someone that drives mainly on freeways. He didn't know it but he described my driving patterns to a T. I live about 4 miles off the main road on a paved county road, mainly asphalt but some chip & seal. I also drive a hilly, curvy 25-30 mile stretch of road 3 to 5 times a week. He said the tire companies have done definitive studies showing how these type of conditions increase tire wear.

09 CXL FWD Silver Green Metallic- Ebony
Ghost2121

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 07:04:08 PM »

I had my front end aligned today. When I replaced the tires last week the tire dealer looked at the front tires and showed me uneven wear on the inside fronts. I felt nothing, no vibration, no pull, no misalignment of the steering wheel. They showed me on the computer today where it was out of alignment. I didn't want the new tires to wear prematurely. He said this contributed some to my OEM's only getting 45k but he also stated the tires shouldn't have worn that badly with the small amount of misalignment.

We had a discussion about driving conditions and the types of road you drive on and how that relates to tire wear. He said someone that drives on curvy roads and might live on secondary county type roads would see wear much faster than someone that drives mainly on freeways. He didn't know it but he described my driving patterns to a T. I live about 4 miles off the main road on a paved county road, mainly asphalt but some chip & seal. I also drive a hilly, curvy 25-30 mile stretch of road 3 to 5 times a week. He said the tire companies have done definitive studies showing how these type of conditions increase tire wear.

Orv.....you're dealer is so good he even described my driving conditions as well.....AND on top of that...I also noticed no symptoms or signs of needing anything as well...Your dealer is good...if I were you, I'd stick with them!

BadAV
Enclave Freak

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 07:42:46 PM »

The issue you are describing is a very common problem on the Corvette, as described in numerous threads on the forum. Bowling Green seems to set the alignment camber pretty aggressively, to provide the best handling possible, and it wears the front tires out. I bought my 07 coupe in June with 21k miles on it. I put a set of HID fog lights on in August at 24k miles and found out the inside edge of both front tires was worn down to the steel belts. I had no indication at all while driving and you couldn't see it without lifting the car up in the air; I check my vehicles over visually about once a week. The rear tires still had at least half tread; the rest of the front tread was probably about 1/3 left. My new Michelins were accompanied by a front end alignment of my direction; I opted for an alignment set for best tire wear. The Vette handles well enough on public roads that there's no reason for such an aggressive alignment.

The alignment was evidently set well on our Enclave; we've never had it aligned in the 4+ years of ownership and we have even wear. I've only rotated the tires about every 10k miles.

Ghost2121

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 08:06:48 PM »

The issue you are describing is a very common problem on the Corvette, as described in numerous threads on the forum. Bowling Green seems to set the alignment camber pretty aggressively, to provide the best handling possible, and it wears the front tires out. I bought my 07 coupe in June with 21k miles on it. I put a set of HID fog lights on in August at 24k miles and found out the inside edge of both front tires was worn down to the steel belts. I had no indication at all while driving and you couldn't see it without lifting the car up in the air; I check my vehicles over visually about once a week. The rear tires still had at least half tread; the rest of the front tread was probably about 1/3 left. My new Michelins were accompanied by a front end alignment of my direction; I opted for an alignment set for best tire wear. The Vette handles well enough on public roads that there's no reason for such an aggressive alignment.

The alignment was evidently set well on our Enclave; we've never had it aligned in the 4+ years of ownership and we have even wear. I've only rotated the tires about every 10k miles.

I'd be estatic just to get 35k to 40k miles out of a set of tires four for this thing....

GoldEnclave
Global Moderator
Enclave NIRVANA

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 11:15:42 PM »

We've got the OEM Michelin 19" tires on our E and I've been less than impressed with the snow performance. It's not like I've ever been stuck but you have to be really careful; they just don't grip very well on takeoff or on turns. I can't give you any further help as we are at about 46k miles on our E and still have 1/3 or more tread left. I believe someone (Gold Enclave?) here posted they were pretty impressed with the snow performance their recent Hankook replacements, and happy overall also. I've got about 20k miles on a set of Hankooks on my Avalanche; they have been great tires.

I agree with Sailfish; if there's only 4k miles on the CS4's you should get a free replacement no questions asked, unless it was a front-end alignment issue.

Yes, BadAV, I did put a set of four new Hankook Ventus AS RH07s on my 2008 CX, in the 18" rim size, and have been happy with them so far. The freak October snowstorm gave me a surprisingly early opportunity to put these tires to the test in snowy conditions, and they performed well. I have never had Hankooks before, but the generally solid reviews and ratings of the tire and the very competitive pricing sold me. thumbs up

2008 Gold Mist Enclave CX AWD, Cashmere Cloth, Driver's Confidence Package, 8 passenger seating
Ghost2121

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 10:20:36 PM »

Yes, BadAV, I did put a set of four new Hankook Ventus AS RH07s on my 2008 CX, in the 18" rim size, and have been happy with them so far. The freak October snowstorm gave me a surprisingly early opportunity to put these tires to the test in snowy conditions, and they performed well. I have never had Hankooks before, but the generally solid reviews and ratings of the tire and the very competitive pricing sold me. thumbs up

420 UTOG. Let me know how many miles you get out of them.....

Ghost2121

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 10:28:49 PM »

I did find some awesome looking winter tires for my enclave....Let me know what you guys think:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+DM-V1&partnum=56R9DMV1&i1_Qty=4&autoMake=Buick&autoModel=Enclave%20CXL%20AWD&autoYear=2008&autoModClar=&vehicleSearch=true

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories