EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 08 Enclave was running great up until about 4 months ago. It has about 105,000 miles. It started out as a very small vibration/shutter that you could feel in the pedal and steering wheel and it only happened occasionally. Over the past several months it has steadily gotten worse. There has been no engine or service lights triggered but it is happening just about ever time you accelerate now. I took it to be serviced to see what the dealer could discern. Of coarse when they test drove it it wouldn't do it. They recommended doing a fuel system flush for about $100 so I said go ahead. They said that would help. On the way home it did ok but by the next day it was doing it again. Arggg. I went to clean the mass air sensor and change the air filter thinking that may help. Of coarse I found lots of oil in the air intake tube and the intake snout was caked with oil residue. Needless to say I will not be using that dealers services again. Could this be causing the "miss" or shutter at slow acceleration that I'm feeling? If not does anyone have a good fix.

Willy

·
Registered
657 Posts
I don't know much about that. But my 2 cents says check the engine mountings, because it increased gradually. There is other members very knowledgeble in engine side problems. Please wait for them.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. I have heard of this and a couple things could be causing it w/o CEL/SES light. Could be a bad coil pack, fuel injector clogged, transmission ECM shifting may need reprogrammed, I did a search for the word "shuddering" and lots popped up. Keep us informed what you else you might find out.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Considering the mileage, when was the last time the spark plugs were changed?
Rick

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The first thing I think of when I hear a description of shuddering under light acceleration is an issue with the torque converter. Since I am a DIYer the first thing I would try is to drain and replace the transmission fluid; if you haven't done it yet, you are due (past due in my perspective, but I believe in early preventive maintenance since most of us drive under what is considered severe conditions) at your current mileage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your comments. They give me a lot to consider. I apologize about the delay in responding I just assumed I would get an email notification for replies so I haven't been checking. I have considered to coil packs, but not the other items. I will start with the easy and needed items and work my way down the list. I'll let you know the progress. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m just curious what you ever found out with your Buick shuddering? I have a 2009 Enclave that has been shuddering. Ugh! I’ve had the motor mounts replaced, coil replaced and it’s still doing it! I’m hoping it’s not the transmission!

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
look up post on here and Traverse/Acadia forum. the shudder may be related to the torque converter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m just curious what you ever found out with your Buick shuddering? I have a 2009 Enclave that has been shuddering. Ugh! I’ve had the motor mounts replaced, coil replaced and it’s still doing it! I’m hoping it’s not the transmission!
My 2016 Enclave with 86,000 miles starting shuddering on low speed acceleration and over the course of a couple of weeks got progressively worse. Ended up being the torque converter. Of course garage had to remove the transmission to replace. Fixed the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Shuddering are low speed after stopping is torque converter. Although there is usually an underlying issue that causes it. I have a 2018 enclave Avenir and had that replaced at 24k miles, the shuddering is slowly coming back

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
873 Posts
Possibly moisture in trans fluid. You may want to try replacing the fluid with Mobil 1 Synthetic. For symplicity You can use with Rbarrios method of 5 Quarts at a time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shuddering are low speed after stopping is torque converter. Although there is usually an underlying issue that causes it. I have a 2018 enclave Avenir and had that replaced at 24k miles, the shuddering is slowly coming back
I just bought a 2018 enclave about two months ago, with 40,000 miles on it. Having this exact same issue. Upon doing some more research, it may be the AFM. I took it to the dealership today,And they changed the transmission fluid and reprogrammed the ECM, but I have to drive it 200 miles and then take it back if the problem persists. It will. I traded my 2010 Yukon in for this vehicle, for the exact same reason. At least this is still under warranty.

·
Registered
140 Posts
mathew,

my history of drivetrain chugg/shake/jerk.

our 09 would chugg during acceleration every time a coil pack was about to go. i replaced them one at a time. the first 4 went between 45-80k as i recall. after a week or two after first chugg, the engine light would come on telling me which one it was

engine mount. i’m on my third front lower passenger mount. i cant say this caused shudder for me, but obvious drivetrain jerk at shifting. easy to check. park on level surface, rock car back and forth w hood open. watch engine for movement. the main one that fails is under the oil filter and ac compressor. they have an oil filled damper. oil leaks out. but hard to see bc removal of oil filter during oil change drenches that mount w oil

the laminanted seolnoid seals on the tcm. i pulled my tcm around 130k. shift jerking wo engine light. i had a few discs beginning to fail. i rebuild w sonnax kit. no difference

Dr shudder fix. added 2 to my tranny fluid. didn’t work for me

our shudder (related to tran) began around 130k. i got so frustrated w the amount off issues on this car, i told my wife to keep driving it until more breaks and i’ll fix it all at once. at 167k, i dropped the cradle and dropped $7k on parts (at 40% off retail). did $21k worth of dealership repairs. we’re at 173k now. not a single issue has resurfaced .

i replaced coils/plugs, sonnax tcm rebuild kit, used junkyard 67k 2012 tranny w its TC, engine mounts (common shudder issues). i can’t pinpoint the exact fix bc i replaced so many parts at one time. i suspect it was the TC. ours shuddered during acceleration up shifting gears, seemed 3 to 4th most noticeable. we never got an engine light related to a shudder

hope this helps

fyi, constant shudder under acceleration could be cv axle

·
Registered
140 Posts
i reused my original techm. since shuddering stopped, i know it’s not the techm

i now have an external tranny filter and cooler. i disconnect the filter line and pump 14 quarts through my tranny to bring fluid back to pink. ( run engine 30 seconds at a time til line gurgles. stop engine, refill tranny , repeat til pink). hoping this will give me more tranny life

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you changed the spark plugs with
]
Well no i haven't done anything but i can tell you that it does change gears very fast and it's like driving a stick and putting it in 5th gear at 20 mph.and how it shakes?cause i can stomp it on down and it stops putting it in low and doing it manually it stops?so any ideas about that?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts