EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an 09 Enclave with the check engine light on. Took it to local parts store to get the code, and it is missing on 1, 3 and 5. I found a couple of posts with the following text, but what is the X3 connector?

Check the X3 connector, pin 51 - circuit 5291 for odd cylinders and the X3 connector, pin 47 - circuit 5292 for the even bank of cylinders. Pin drag the connections. If a concern is found, replace the terminals.

Thanks!

·
Registered
363 Posts
The X3 connector ties into the bottom of the Fuse Box. Pin #45 is located in one corner of the connector, and Pin #54 is on the same side of the connector (opposite corner).
Pins #48, 50, and 52-53 are not used in the row of terminals (5 total rows in the X3 connector), according to the Service Manual.

·
Registered
448 Posts
lichterr said:
Hello, I have an 09 Enclave with the check engine light on. Took it to local parts store to get the code, and it is missing on 1, 3 and 5. I found a couple of posts with the following text, but what is the X3 connector?

Check the X3 connector, pin 51 - circuit 5291 for odd cylinders and the X3 connector, pin 47 - circuit 5292 for the even bank of cylinders. Pin drag the connections. If a concern is found, replace the terminals.

Thanks!

What are the vehicles symptoms? Do you mean the engine is misfiring?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. So, I have to lift out the fuse box to get to the X3?

Yes, it is misfiring on 1, 3, and 5.

·
Registered
448 Posts
lichterr said:

I would get the code re-read. Usually the misfires are bad coil paks. Especially on early build 2009's. Your drivers door jam will have a sticker when it was built. The code reader plugs in inside under the dash on the drivers side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The code only said misfire on 1, 3, and 5. I would suspect the coil packs as well, but I think it is strange that it is all misfiring cylinders are on one bank. It would seem strange to me that three coil packs go bad at the same time.

·
Registered
448 Posts
lichterr said:
By the way, it is an early one, mfg date is 11/08.
How many miles are on it and how long have you owned it? From what i recall most with the bad paks vehicles were built in July and August 08. One pak to me is pretty annoying performance wise. I remember another member have two go bad back to back in very limited amount of mileage. Anything electrical can crap out like that though. They just issued this summer a service bulletin that said possible overheating could damage them. Did your water pump go on it by chance yet? Mine ran hot on the gauge FOR A FEW MINUTES DUE TO THE PUMP GOING AND one PAK went A FEW THOUSAND MILES LATER. (My first one was shot by 37k the second went several thousand miles later.) Maybe just a coincedence. Let a mechanic plug in or someone with a code reader plug in and double check. The paks are easy to replace if you ever changed a spark plug you can perform this job. Or take it to the dealer, they get $300 to do one, but the labor to get to one or all six is almost the same. You will probably get boned for several hundred that way. However, Stacy from Buick customer service will say sorry to you and say she will check into it to make you feel better ::)................... Someone did a write up recently along with me on the how to, just do a search. I picked up six new paks, gasket "probably won't need and save $35" and new iridium plugs from rock auto and for $300 got rid of the recuring headaches. Good luck with it. I really like my Enclave, but those 09's seemed to have a lot of expensive issues, fortunately most were covered under warranty. eg. steering rack, water pump, timing chains, coil paks, a/c seats. Only the first coil pak they hosed me for. If the rack starts clunking get it fixed quick because it will ruin your front tires pronto........... Take care.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has just under 80k, I've had it for 15 or 20k. I haven't replaced waterpump or rack, or anything else on it. They don't seem to be completely out - they are missing occasionally, it is running on all 6 the majority of the time.

I'll get the codes double-checked and go from there. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
448 Posts
lichterr said:
It has just under 80k, I've had it for 15 or 20k. I haven't replaced waterpump or rack, or anything else on it. They don't seem to be completely out - they are missing occasionally, it is running on all 6 the majority of the time.

I'll get the codes double-checked and go from there. Thanks for the response.
Then you might have something else going on. Mine did clear once but within a short time it came back for good. It's a coil so it can open up and close again. Check all the wiring from the paks back for something loose. Were you doing any other work under the hood where maybe you knocked a connector loose? I would get the dealer history just so you know what was replaced on it. You are welcome

·
Registered
363 Posts
lichterr said:

Yes, you have to lift up the fuse box to access the underside of the fuse box and get to the X3 connector.

Let me say, it's quite unusual to have the whole bank of ignition coils to go out... but never say never, I guess.

And @ 80k miles +, IF or when you find one of the coil packs bad, I'd replace all the plugs and coil packs and then you'll be set for many, many more miles. You'll need to remove the intake manifold, so not much more effort to replace 6 vs. 1.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts