1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buick

[/URL]

BMW

[URL=http://s1131.photobucket.com/user/tc105/media/bmw_zps2yjsrtos.jpg.html][img]http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m560/tc105/bmw_zps2yjsrtos.jpg

The Enclave's has a black tinge, the BMW's is golden even after 2 years.

What this tells me is that the GM dealer did not properly flush the system, they likely flushed the reservoir through one wheel. (aka cheating) Because it's black after only 1 yr. (actually less than 12 mos)

This begs the question, do we simply have to do everything ourselves, because the dealership cuts corners all the time? I don't feel I can trust them to flush the auto trans--they will likely replace 5/11 qts.

This is the first time I've done the BMW myself--I did two bleeds since the system had air, as I replaced the ABS pump. So I'm confident that when BMW gets $120-$160 for a flush, they do all 4 calipers. I mean I used the dealer software on the computer bleed, and it clearly has the tech go to all 4 wheels, one-by-one. For me, this means 8X at the calipers, and jacking the vehicle as well! :angryfire:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Some techs just siphon what's in the reservoir and refill with new fluid calling it a flush. From under the hood it looks ok. They figure who's going to know?

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a lack of respect for a) the vehicle [then again does GM have a 2 yr brake fluid requirement]
B) for the customer. C) for oneself as a professional

In our daily lives, how much do we cheat at our own jobs? I bet the answer is never for virtually everyone here.

What is odd is it's ok at a GM dealer, but if a quik e lube did the same, Fox News is rolling in with hidden cams and state attorneys general are shutting it down.

On the BMW front took the car out and slammed on the brakes. Laptop went flying (DOH!) but pedal is nice and firm and abs still good. Fluid is so clean that if it weren't golden, I think it would be invisible. I can't imagine how clean the hydraulic system is on a 9 y.o. Car, and how dirty the Buick's is in comparison. I'll DIY from now on and hope no damage has been done.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well..the BMW is DOT 4 LV, the Buick and my 1998 Nissan use DOT 3. The bulk of my experience is with the Nissan--I've likely flushed the brakes 8 times, 2 myself, and for its life, the fluid has always been clear. What did get blackish on the Nissan was the clutch fluid--that had never been changed until the line to the slave developed a leak. So it does turn black over years of use.

imho the Buick should not be blackish in < 12 mos. I believe they did NOT lift the vehicle and bleed through each caliper. Maybe they deserve Fox News, who would spend the time to confirm, or deny.

Replacing calipers is easy, but look at the GM problems with lines (they won in court if I remember). That is not cheap to fix. Beating customers in court is a victory for the co. and shareholders, but not owners...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Different types of fluid, the Enclave is daily driven and sits outside. The BMW is a garage queen.

Not surprised. :confused:

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ckta said:
Different types of fluid, the Enclave is daily driven and sits outside. The BMW is a garage queen.

Not surprised. :confused:
Nice, so you are of the camp, GM did perform the flush as they should.

Nissan was also DD, DOT 3, driven daily except Sat/Sun., and fluid clear its entire life. Clutch fluid on the other hand had a blackish color, as it was not flushed every 2 yrs. (now at 3 oz., one might wonder how much it really matters vs. how difficult it is to get air out of a clutch).

Let's see what happens 2 yrs. from now, when I flush the Buick again. My $$$$$ is that the fluid is clear. Bet you $200, honor system.

GM dealers are awesome, but I'd hate to work at a CAddy dealer based on what GM said today.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm not saying they did it right or wrong. What I'm saying is you aren't comparing apples to apples.

BTW, do you know how many people NEVER flush a brake system or at least not every or every other year and their brakes are just fine. ;)

I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill and just looking to complain about GM (as usual) in any shape or form you can.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ckta said:
I'm not saying they did it right or wrong. What I'm saying is you aren't comparing apples to apples.

BTW, do you know how many people NEVER flush a brake system or at least not every or every other year and their brakes are just fine. ;)

I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill and just looking to complain about GM (as usual) in any shape or form you can.
So you're not saying much of anything--on your 16th post. Seems like you're not up for a gentlemanly bet, so it's off. Not sure what you're talking about, brake fluid absorbs water, these "people" likely replace components unnecessarily then.

Buick is DOT 3, Nissan is DOT 3, but I did not snap a pic of it. What's not apples to apples?

p.s. I am a GM shareholder and happen to think that while they care a lot about the shareholders and the bottom line, they could do much better with owners. What's your personal stake? Young man, someone is getting added to the I list :drunk: :happy:

edit: I quoted so that I can still see the last reply going forward, nothing personal

·
Registered
342 Posts
I prefer to do my own work since I know it will be done right the first time. I will take way longer than a GM mechanic, but because I care about my car I don't cut corners. When the mechanics make a flat-rate on a job they want to do NOT want to take any longer, so they take short cuts to finish on time.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gig229 said:
I prefer to do my own work since I know it will be done right the first time. I will take way longer than a GM mechanic, but because I care about my car I don't cut corners. When the mechanics make a flat-rate on a job they want to do NOT want to take any longer, so they take short cuts to finish on time.
. I think you are right, brake flush, coolant flush, tranny flush, power steering flush, there is an incentive to not complete the work. Completion is time consuming, and likelihood of customer noticing is lesser. Coolant and tranny are nearly impossible to DIY properly at home....

·
Registered
121 Posts
john 070 said:
. I think you are right, brake flush, coolant flush, tranny flush, power steering flush, there is an incentive to not complete the work. Completion is time consuming, and likelihood of customer noticing is lesser. Coolant and tranny are nearly impossible to DIY properly at home....
Clarification: If you are environmentally responsible.

I remember when I had a job delivering flowers in the Washington D.C. area. Walked up to the porch of the house and passed a pretty red-neck looking El Camino parked in the front yard. Next to it was a hole in the ground heavily stained with motor oil. The hole was their oil drain pan.

·
Registered
47 Posts
john 070 said:
So you're not saying much of anything--on your 16th post. Seems like you're not up for a gentlemanly bet, so it's off. Not sure what you're talking about, brake fluid absorbs water, these "people" likely replace components unnecessarily then.

Buick is DOT 3, Nissan is DOT 3, but I did not snap a pic of it. What's not apples to apples?

p.s. I am a GM shareholder and happen to think that while they care a lot about the shareholders and the bottom line, they could do much better with owners. What's your personal stake? Young man, someone is getting added to the I list :drunk: :happy:

edit: I quoted so that I can still see the last reply going forward, nothing personal
Look at the Title of your post.....Buick vs BMW......nothing about Nissan in it. :facepalm: What were the 2 pictures you posted of....the Buick vs. Bimmer. :facepalm:

I do brake flushes along with ALL other work (which is way more then your shade tree fixes on here), so you don't need to tell me the fluid absorbs moisture.
Point is, I know cars and trucks (with over 200K) that have NEVER had the system flushed and the brakes work fine and nothing in the system was replaced. If they were racing, they may see a difference....on the street hardly.

GM is far from perfect, but coming on here every day to see you complain about GM gets very old. The worst part is seeing you mention the BMW and Nissan in every other post......we get it....you have a BMW and Nissan....great! :blob:

Do you go on the BMW forum and b*tch about your BMW and then talk about your Buick and Nissan......I doubt it. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
ckta
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing