EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain in detail how to make the
dvd/cd player only play in 2.0 stereo? When I try to make the sound only play play in the rear of the car my kids cannot hear any vocals on the dvd. I've owned this vehicle for 3 weeks now and I can tell you Honda kicks
Buicks butt when it comes to the REAR entertainment package. If the Enclave can't play DVD's in 2.0 and only have the sound in the REAR, then that is a major issue with owners who have kids that don't car for the crappy headphones.

As I've stated before 5.1 dolby in a car is pretty stupid since the driver and front passenger can't even see the screen yet the center, right and left front speakers are in front of the driver and front passenger.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have some factory head phones I'll sell you..............

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, that is pretty unbelievable. Every DVD player I have ever seen can play in stereo as long as you don't hook up digital audio cables, (optical,HDMI).

Overall we love our Enclave, but it really is kind of distracting to drive when the center, right and left speakers are blasting so the people in the back can hear the words.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'll play with it later and look through the manual to see if I can find a different setting for 2 channel audio on the DVD player.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would be great. I'll also try to find a DVD in my collection that lists stereo as an audio option. I believe if the DVD has that option it will play in stereo, but most DVD are encoded with 5.1 surround.

·
Registered
69 Posts
TheKings said:
That would be great. I'll also try to find a DVD in my collection that lists stereo as an audio option. I believe if the DVD has that option it will play in stereo, but most DVD are encoded with 5.1 surround.
No luck. Looks like you can only separate the sound with the headphones in the back.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the Enclave since 10/07 only way is if the dvd is not dolby or if the kids wear their headphones. I feel your pain and it is my only complaint with the Enclave. Funny thing I too came from a Pilot.

If anyone else comes up with anything else please let me know.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
We have been able to go into the "options" screen from the DVD NAV screen (while in park) and select "audio" and swap between the 5.1 channel audio stream to the 2.0 channel audio stream as encoded on the disc. You can also push the "musical note" icon button on the DVD remote in the rear to accomplish the same result. HOWEVER, I checked several DVDs (Cars, Peter Pan, High School Musical, Spy Kids and Night at the Museum) and ONE of them (Night at the Museum) actually DIDN'T have a Dolby Digital 2.0 audio stream available. The choices were Dolby 5.1, DTS 5.1, French 2.0 and Spanish 2.0. So I can see where this would present a problem for some movies. However, it seems many movies have the alternate 2.0 channel audio stream encoded on the disc.

Not sure why someone else called the headphones "crappy". My kids love them and use them most of the time (which allows my SO and I the luxury of listening to tunes rather than the audio track of movies we have heard 1001 times). I have listened to the headphones and the quality seems good to me. Anyway, hope I have helped some here.

·
Registered
69 Posts
ccaats said:
We have been able to go into the "options" screen from the DVD NAV screen (while in park) and select "audio" and swap between the 5.1 channel audio stream to the 2.0 channel audio stream as encoded on the disc. You can also push the "musical note" icon button on the DVD remote in the rear to accomplish the same result. HOWEVER, I checked several DVDs (Cars, Peter Pan, High School Musical, Spy Kids and Night at the Museum) and ONE of them (Night at the Museum) actually DIDN'T have a Dolby Digital 2.0 audio stream available. The choices were Dolby 5.1, DTS 5.1, French 2.0 and Spanish 2.0. So I can see where this would present a problem for some movies. However, it seems many movies have the alternate 2.0 channel audio stream encoded on the disc.

Not sure why someone else called the headphones "crappy". My kids love them and use them most of the time (which allows my SO and I the luxury of listening to tunes rather than the audio track of movies we have heard 1001 times). I have listened to the headphones and the quality seems good to me. Anyway, hope I have helped some here.
Yeah, but does it actually only play your audio in the back seat then? I think it just plays 2.0 sound on all speakers.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
techno said:
Yeah, but does it actually only play your audio in the back seat then? I think it just plays 2.0 sound on all speakers.
It does play 2.0 on all speakers, then all you have to do is fade the speakers to rear if you don't want it in the front speakers. It then provides 2.0 stereo sound (with dialogue) in all 4 rear speakers. That would solve the problem of having to turn up the sound for rear passengers to hear dialogue from front speaker when in 5.1 surround mode.

I DO think that it would make sense to ADD a center speaker in the ceiling right above the screen (angled rearward) and then program the system so that when you FADE the speakers to the rear and are in 5.1 mode, then the speakers in the second row become right front and left front, the center speaker above the screen becomes center channel and the speakers in the 3rd row act as surround. Are you listening GM? I wonder if the DVD systems in Tahoe/Yukons have the same issue?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts