EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, my wife thinks I'm crazy. I was looking through the large Enclave brochure a couple of weeks ago and noticed the Platinum Enclave picture which stretches across two pages. What I noticed was the WHEELS! :love: I never saw them before. Anyhow I called my dealer and asked about them. He said they were the new 20 inch wheels available as of the 1st week of June and they were $3800 installed (wheels and tires). Has anyone seen these in person or maybe splurged on them like I think I'm about to. Just curious of the thoughts of other Enclavians out there on this subject.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Whoa! You can get forged billet wheels for that kind of money...and twice as nice. Find a good aftermarket dealer and see what he can do before you take that step. That is a lot of money.

Galen

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I love those chrome wheels but can definitely find much better avenues to burn $3800. I wonder how much are those DIO 19"s shown either on last or second to the last page.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks coop and gshields for the info. I will definetly try to look elsewhere for wheels. I've never bought any rims before so I have no idea how much they are supposed to run and there are soooo many different brands out there (I have no idea which to choose). I thought $3800 sounded like highway robbery but I guess I just liked the wheels. Have either of you, or any one else out there for that matter, ordered rims online. If so, what is a good site to order from. I had a chance to sleep on it last night and I think have come to my senses. Anyhow, if anyone has any insight to these questions, any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Remember, that $3800 should include both wheels and tires, and installation labor (mounting, and balancing if not shipped balanced already). I also don't think that credits the value of the current wheels/tires, so either the dealer might offer a credit if GM has an exchange program set up (of if the dealer otherwise thinks he can sell them) or you can sell them privately. Not sure how much the OEM 18"/19" machined/polished/chrome wheels and tires are worth on the used market.

Still a lot of money though. I'd hate for you to see another set of rims somewhere for $2500 and think that is a much better deal, when they add $150 for shipping, $100 for mounting and balancing, and $1000 for 20" tires.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had a great experience with Tire Rack a couple of years ago ( OK, it was actually about 15 yrs :-[ ) on a previous car. They mounted the tires, balanced and delivered them UPS to my front door. I ordered via telephone and the customer rep was very knowledgable and helpful. They worked perfectly. :thumb:

One question however, does the speedometer need to be re-calibrated with the different rims/tires or will the circumference of the tire be the same ??? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I have only used OEM or whatever the manufacturer is offering, so I don't know about good brands. I was going to suggest the same, go to www.tirerack.com they are the best and have reasonable price.

The streets of Metro NYC do not welcome these fancy wheels, I would hate to see scratches, dings and bends going through puddles and oh so common bumbs.

Now, as you may already know, the standard 18/19" tires are specially designed for the Enclave and are part of "Quiet Tunning" so whaterver you get from open market just try to get the "quiet" to enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
180 Posts
gjgalati said:
Alright, my wife thinks I'm crazy. I was looking through the large Enclave brochure a couple of weeks ago and noticed the Platinum Enclave picture which stretches across two pages. What I noticed was the WHEELS! :love: I never saw them before. Anyhow I called my dealer and asked about them. He said they were the new 20 inch wheels available as of the 1st week of June and they were $3800 installed (wheels and tires). Has anyone seen these in person or maybe splurged on them like I think I'm about to. Just curious of the thoughts of other Enclavians out there on this subject.
Yeah, I feel ya on this one. I loved the 20 rims. But once they told me the price, I said nope! I'm hoping i can throw on some 22s on the beast, but I'm not sure what tires would be good with the Enclave, as they don't make the same Michelin's in the 22 inch form.

I'm definitely going the aftermarket route. :thumb:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I want to ditto the Tirerack. You can also check out Discount Tire http://www.tires.com as another alternative that has locations all over the place. They have a nice warranty program too, that offers liftime tire rotations and free replacements for blow outs...My father has had to use this in the past and it sure saved him a ton of money.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have purchased several sets of aftermarket wheels for various cars. Billet Specialities for my '65 Riviera GS, Maas for my '07 Ridgeline, Centerline for my '99 GMC PU, Weld for my 2002 Denali, to name a few. I have ordered on line and ran into two problems. 1. I had a rim split (defect) and it took 3 months to get it resolved from a Calif. Co. 2. Never buy a set until you actually see them. They look different in person than in pictures.

Since my online experience, I have purchased through my local favorite tire dealer. I have found they can get almost any brand you want, even though they don't advertise it. They can tell you what tire/wheel combinations will fit so your speedo is the same. I am talking about low profile tires. I can also offer you a free web site where you can get on and play with the numbers yourself. I have developed over time a good relationship with the tire dealer and he actually enjoys helping me find the right package. He installs after I purchase through him and then I get free rotation and balance, etc. I also have him doing the negotiating with the wheel mfg if I break a rim, which I hope never happens again.

Make sense? I shop on the internet at some of the wheel websights and find wheels I am interested in. Then I talk to my tire dealer and go from there.

Tires: You will want to express 1. Low profile, 2. long wearing, 3. quiet riding, 20" in size probably due to the fact 20" are much more readily available and the tires will cost a lot less than 19" tires. My dealer has already told me that.

Our Enclave has the 19" chrome and they look just fine, but my other cars have always received the face lift. The Ridgleine has a painted center aluminum wheel with an outter stainless ring. Really looks sharp, but each vehicle and personality has it's requirements. I put those rims and Continental tires with a quiet ride and 460 wear life for about $1500. That is a long way from $3800.

My Custom Riviera received forged Billiet Specialities polished wheels (not chrome) and I gave $2800 for the wheels alone. See the difference? And they are only 17". I spent 2 hrs last night polishing them for a car show this Saturday. Pretty, oh yes, but practical for an every day driver? No way!. Talk to your tire dealer and trust him. Good luck to you, Sir.

Galen

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have just realized, the Wheels on the Split Color Enclave in my Gallery has Wheels other than the Standard 7 Spoke Chrome Wheels that comes on the Enclave. These are very attractive and I'm going to check with my Dealer and see if I can get those. If I can, it will break the monotony of having exactly the same Wheels as everyone else, and they are still just as attractive. But first, I have to get the Enclave. Ha !!
Check out my Gallery. 8)

·
Registered
577 Posts
rocketman said:
I have just realized, the Wheels on the Split Color Enclave in my Gallery has Wheels other than the Standard 7 Spoke Chrome Wheels that comes on the Enclave. These are very attractive and I'm going to check with my Dealer and see if I can get those. If I can, it will break the monotony of having exactly the same Wheels as everyone else, and they are still just as attractive. But first, I have to get the Enclave. Ha !!
Check out my Gallery. 8)
The wheels in hte split white picture looks like the one in the brochure, at least in the Canadian brochure.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Canuck said:
The wheels in hte split white picture looks like the one in the brochure, at least in the Canadian brochure.
Canuck, I checked with my Dealer today about those and he said they were probably special for displays and Autoshows. Can't get them.
You lucky Canadians probably can. 8)

·
Registered
743 Posts
Yes, I saw those. Thanks.
I also believe I've seen those or something very similar on some of the other Buicksi.e.,Sedans.

·
Registered
577 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts