EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

221 - 240 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Grimm said:
time to bug the dealer again. Still no check....
Keep hammering away, Grimm... Keep us posted.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The crappy part is I did a chat with Buick from the Buick owners site and they can't seem to look up anything because it was done through the dealer, and not personally. I guess I learned not to go through the dealer if I have this sort of thing again. I've been pretty happy with the dealer before this, so I hope they aren't stringing me along so they can get a few months of interest free money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I never knew how smart my car really was until my wave plate went this week at about 123,000 miles. It was obviously waiting for the right time and boy, did it ever find it. Luckily I was able to limp to a Chevy dealer a few miles away. Lots of damage to the parts including the case. It seemed my best option was the re-manufactured unit for only $5400. Don't know yet if that included Mass tax, but it did include $125 to diagnose my problem as transmission related. It couldn't have been a long test drive because the engine would be racing at 15 mph.

But wait, there's more! What really makes my car smart is it apparently conspired with the water pump which just started leaking (and was found when the Chevy dealer dropped the transmission). I know its recent because it had the "27 PT GM inspection" at 119,437 miles at a Buick dealer. The Buick dealer visit included a conversation about my concerns over the problems appearing and being covered by the extended warranty.

I've really liked this car and its been relatively free of problem (if I knew how to add a link, I'd include a my post at 100,000 miles). This is my 5th Buick in a row, 3 big expensive wagons, and a LeSabra, but this is the smartest one yet!

I know its a serious subject and I would like to get into a data driven reliability/failure analysis discussion on what the root cause is as well as the failure rate over time. The variables that cause failure may or may not be known to the engineers. Heat treating, micro-cracks, crack initiation, crack growth, thermal cycles, # of shifts, etc would be an enormous undertaking to gather data from owners and is impractical. So there are lots of potential reasons why the plate could fail at 30K or 175K. My car lived a sedate life with a 3 mile daily commute and 250+ miles on the Inter-state most weekend, so I probably experienced fewer shifts than most.

So... has anyone had assistance from GM over 120K? Help!

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Senior Trend, I'm sorry to learn of your Enclave's wave plate failure. Though this occurred past GM's 10 year/120,000 mile extended wave plate warranty, you might still get GM to cover the failure. Good luck, and let us know how things work out.

With about 107,675 miles on my Enclave's factory installed wave plate, and with lots of high speed stop and go and local driving, I'm increasingly concerned about the likelihood of my car's transmission failure. If I'm fortunate enough to not experience a wave plate failure before the 120,000 mile warranty limit, I'll probably trade in the car. If it fails before that limit, I'll keep the car a while if the repair goes smoothly.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
you MAY get some partial assistance.
contact the reps on here....
some help is nice.... but not guaranteed...
its more likely- if youre the original owner.

on a side note---
if my Trans went out-- I would request that my pump and thermostat be changed while the engine was out...
why fiddle with them at a later mileage?

·
Registered
5 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Senior Trend, I'm sorry to learn of your Enclave's wave plate failure. Though this occurred past GM's 10 year/120,000 mile extended wave plate warranty, you might still get GM to cover the failure. Good luck, and let us know how things work out.

With about 107,675 miles on my Enclave's factory installed wave plate, and with lots of high speed stop and go and local driving, I'm increasingly concerned about the likelihood of my car's transmission failure. If I'm fortunate enough to not experience a wave plate failure before the 120,000 mile warranty limit, I'll probably trade in the car. If it fails before that limit, I'll keep the car a while if the repair goes smoothly.
I picked it up Friday and I wasn't home before the Traction Control and Stability Control failed. First time ever. Its also pulling strongly to the right on the highway. This car really has it in for me now.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
SeniorTrend said:
I picked it up Friday and I wasn't home before the Traction Control and Stability Control failed. First time ever. Its also pulling strongly to the right on the highway. This car really has it in for me now.
I'm sorry to read this. Unfortunately, wave plate repair involves dropping the engine and transmission, so lots of systems can be affected if they are not reassembled correctly.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Grimm said:
Yay, check is finally "in the mail".
AWESOME news!!! :dancing:

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2008 just went in for this with just 67K. You have to commit to tranny teardown to find if it is the problem.

Wish they would cover the seal/timing chain cover leak as well, quoted another 1.4K to fix while care is torn apart :-\

·
Registered
7 Posts
I hit the Enclave failure trifecta this morning as the wave plate on our 2009 AWD gave up at 107k miles. Last year it was the steering rack at 93k (no TSB...yet). In 2013 it was the water pump at 84k. I'm thinking this will likely be our last Buick. We had such high hopes... :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,
If anybody could advise or suggest regarding a reimbursement that I started with my dealer.
Anyways GMC sent me a letter regarding the extended warranty for the wave plate failure that might occur in my 2008 Enclave, well it did fail before the letter arrived and I had it repaired at my regular service shop.My tranny failed at 189000 Kms. and the extended warranty is till 193000Kms.,so it was supposed to be under warranty.I sent copies of my invoice and proof of payment back in October 2015 to my dealer and they always had an excuse that is still under investigation so I decided to call straight to GMC and after a few days they decided that there will be no reimbursement because the service shop was not supposed to do a complete rebuild of the tranny. I called the shop where I had my tranny serviced and they said that it was necessary to do a rebuilt because they found overheated clutch plates, of course the broken wave plate, a lot of filings and debris, hardened seals and "o"rings, failed solenoids etc. which I believe them. I talked to the owner of the shop and asked him if he could call GMC and explain to them why they had to rebuild the whole tranny but hey told him the same thing that there will be no reimbursement.
I don't think this is fair. I'm pretty sure that if I would have taken my vehicle to a GM dealer it would have been a different story, or at least I should get reimbursed for the wave plate work and parts don't you think?
Please I'll appreciate any advice .

Thanks

·
Registered
717 Posts
erevelo said:
Hi everyone,
If anybody could advise or suggest regarding a reimbursement that I started with my dealer.
Anyways GMC sent me a letter regarding the extended warranty for the wave plate failure that might occur in my 2008 Enclave, well it did fail before the letter arrived and I had it repaired at my regular service shop.My tranny failed at 189000 Kms. and the extended warranty is till 193000Kms.,so it was supposed to be under warranty.I sent copies of my invoice and proof of payment back in October 2015 to my dealer and they always had an excuse that is still under investigation so I decided to call straight to GMC and after a few days they decided that there will be no reimbursement because the service shop was not supposed to do a complete rebuild of the tranny. I called the shop where I had my tranny serviced and they said that it was necessary to do a rebuilt because they found overheated clutch plates, of course the broken wave plate, a lot of filings and debris, hardened seals and "o"rings, failed solenoids etc. which I believe them. I talked to the owner of the shop and asked him if he could call GMC and explain to them why they had to rebuild the whole tranny but hey told him the same thing that there will be no reimbursement.
I don't think this is fair. I'm pretty sure that if I would have taken my vehicle to a GM dealer it would have been a different story, or at least I should get reimbursed for the wave plate work and parts don't you think?
Please I'll appreciate any advice .

Thanks
You only get reimbursement if the work was done at a GM dealer. Just like any warranty item, it needs to be done at a certified center.

·
Registered
17 Posts
goochman said:
You only get reimbursement if the work was done at a GM dealer. Just like any warranty item, it needs to be done at a certified center.
I sent a message to Buick as well, but have not heard back. Having transmission issues (possible waveplate) on Enclave 09. Can the work be performed at any authorized GM dealer or does it have to be Buick? The reason I ask is I have an authorized GM/Chevy dealer right down the road. The Buick dealer is much farther and I would am concerned if the Enclave can make it that far there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Best to call the one down the road and the Buick dealer to see what they can do for you.
Are you within the mileage?
Rick

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
toucansma said:
I sent a message to Buick as well, but have not heard back. Having transmission issues (possible waveplate) on Enclave 09. Can the work be performed at any authorized GM dealer or does it have to be Buick? The reason I ask is I have an authorized GM/Chevy dealer right down the road. The Buick dealer is much farther and I would am concerned if the Enclave can make it that far there.

Thanks!
Hi toucansma,

We sincerely apologize for the delay. We received your private message and will be responding shortly. Thank you for your continued patience.

Kindly,

Samantha N
Buick Customer Care

221 - 240 of 242 Posts
About this Discussion
241 Replies
50 Participants
JaviCXL
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing