EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! new here

I'll be on here researching information for my father's newly purchased 2008 Enclave CXL, FWD, 2nd owner. gray/blue color with chrome 19" wheels. Just had its first oil change by us at 103,800 mi.

Had the car only a few months, overall about 1500 miles since our ownership, myself driving about 100 miles.
it has a good service history documented including transmission fluid flush at 102k, water pump a couple of times. The trailer receiver cover is off & missing, receiver socket has evidence that it has towed something in the past, not really happy about that as I know that's not the easiest thing on transmissions for a vehicle that seems like it's over weight for its powertrain anyways

My MAIN reason for being here is concern for the transmissions and it's bad reputation. I have a lot of mechanical and fabrication skill but not in automatic transmissions. one of the things I'm going to be looking for here as I spend more time is if there is if there is some preemptive thing(s) I can do to prevent transmission failure.

What I have noticed so far about the vehicle in the limited amount of time I've driven it

- it feels like it is under powered especially in Arizona Heat, with air conditioning on

- normal driving, transmission seems to up-shift & downshift correct through all gears, although it seems to need a lot of pressure (or additional pressure) on the pedal to get it to downshift into a low enough gear to keep up with hi-way traffic in some circumstances, I may just need to get used to its performance characteristics compared to other vehicles I drive,

- one red flag potentially I noticed about the transmission that has me a little worried (and I've only done it once) I was backing it up into my fathers driveway which is got a mild curb & slight incline, when front tires met the curb it felt like it was revving higher then it should, like it had a high stall speed torque converter and not moving like it should, I had to go forward and take a run at it for fear I was slipping the transmission.
After this, I told my father not to back in the driveway anymore, only to pull it in until I figure things out.

We live in the Phoenix Arizona area, the original owners we bought it from are from Wisconsin and used the car in Arizona as their winter vehicle, it only shows some salted road surface rust evidence on the undercarriage, suspension pieces but overall exterior, interior and everything else looks to be in excellent condition & garage kept. I would say since I grew up in the Chicago area that it's probably has only seen one winter season at the most in Wisconsin.

My father purchased the vehicle for what we believe as a low price, way below market value in our area and way below price guides. My main concern when I did the research before the purchase was the transmission. I actually tried to talk my father out of it as I have enough automotive experience to understand the risk.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Without going into your specific car, the transmission is actually quite good, with the problem of the wave plate and the transmission computer. A software update if not done yet might help with the shift points and acceleration, as the original flash was made to allow better gas milage. Ours was flashed to the new software when we did the rebuild (I wanted to just make sure it was solid; turned out that there was NO wear and NO indication of wave plate issues at 135,000 miles; we had a bad computer that was causing surging at medium throttle shifts) and it drives like a dream.

Reactions: WhoCares

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rwagoner, Thank you! I appreciate the input. unfortunately I haven't had a lot of time to do the research I need to do. Still have put very little miles on the vehicle

One thing that has become evident, it needs brakes, front rotors have hot spots, brake pedal pulsates & steering wheel vibrates while braking. I'm planning on upgrading the front rotors and put a little bit higher performance pads on, I'm considering Power Stop kit at the moment, I've had EBC Brake kits on a couple of other vehicles with good results but so far my research is showing the Power Stop may be better for this platform. Only real input is from some helpful reviews on Amazon and some other sites. This is what I'm considering for the front,
Power Stop K4657-36 Front Z36 Truck and Tow Brake Kit

·
Registered
356 Posts
Let me know how the brake changes work out.

rwagoner, Thank you! I appreciate the input. unfortunately I haven't had a lot of time to do the research I need to do. Still have put very little miles on the vehicle

One thing that has become evident, it needs brakes, front rotors have hot spots, brake pedal pulsates & steering wheel vibrates while braking. I'm planning on upgrading the front rotors and put a little bit higher performance pads on, I'm considering Power Stop kit at the moment, I've had EBC Brake kits on a couple of other vehicles with good results but so far my research is showing the Power Stop may be better for this platform. Only real input is from some helpful reviews on Amazon and some other sites. This is what I'm considering for the front,
Power Stop K4657-36 Front Z36 Truck and Tow Brake Kit

·
Registered
58 Posts
Chinapop brakes and rotors, i would never use chinesium brakes and rotors on any vehicle brakes are important. Bosch quietcast are usually made in Europe, and akebono are American made pads. Or rock auto also has ac Delco oem pads and rotors.

People have varying opinions on drilled and slotted rotors, they look neat but I regard them as a marketing gimmick out side of high end expensive brake systems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have all the parts (power stop front and rear) that I indicated above just haven't installed them yet. at a glance, the quality looks very nice. I'll report back after I have them installed and driven for a while.
...also have to tackle a new problem - a leaky motor mount. as an old fart, I could never imagine having to utter those words

1 - 6 of 6 Posts