EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to sell my beautiful 2008 Buick Enclave AWD CXL. I have the full listing on Autotrader but here is the short summary.
OD: 99,320 - Asking $17,500

Powered by a 3.6L, V6 engine, automatic transmission. This vehicle is in excellent condition, well maintained, never smoked in, and runs well. Installed features and options include leather seats, wood trim interior, all power options, navigation, Bose sound system, CD Player, mp3, aux port, back up camera, power moon roof, keyless entry, remote start, tinted windows, dual power heated seats, tow pkg, roof rack, and a host of other amenities. Don't miss out on this fantastic vehicle.

Just add (www) before the link .autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?ownerId=68868813&searchRadius=0&listingId=367467477

Attachments

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Re: 2008 Enclave AWD CXL Fully Loaded - Pittsburgh, PA

I already have an '08. Mine has a DVD player drop down screen and NAV, but isn't an 8 seater or have a tow package.

Hum, joined the forum Oct 2011 and this is your first post? Why are you selling it? Any wave plate failure?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I joined the Forum in 2011 when i was looking for how to get around the navigation lockout (I found the solution and thought about it but never went through with it). I bought the enclave used in 2009 from a dealer and have loved it ever since. I recently decided to get a used GMC Yukon as i was looking for something even larger than the enclave. The vehicle has been great and there is no wave plate failure. For anyone interested in the vehicle i would be happy to show you my service records and also let you have a mechanic look the vehicle over.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

pje5000 said:
I joined the Forum in 2011 when i was looking for how to get around the navigation lockout (I found the solution and thought about it but never went through with it). I bought the enclave used in 2009 from a dealer and have loved it ever since. I recently decided to get a used GMC Yukon as i was looking for something even larger than the enclave. The vehicle has been great and there is no wave plate failure. For anyone interested in the vehicle i would be happy to show you my service records and also let you have a mechanic look the vehicle over.
Ticking time bomb. It's not a matter of if but when the wave plate will fail on a 2008.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts

No history of wave plate failure keeps the possibility of failure within the useful lifespan of the car intact. This can be a sticking point. But, we still don't really know if wave plate failure is a given within the useful lifespan of a 2008 Enclave. Numerous 2008 Enclaves have been reportedly driven past the 100,000 and 150,000 marks without wave plate failure.

·
Registered
592 Posts

I have never mentioned it before, but I have 2 friends with 2008 Es, both over 125K miles - both barely maintained by my standards even though they look good - neither has had a wave plate issue. One of them was even at our Forum meeting at the Lambda plant this summer. Would it surprise me if they did, of course not. I may even say it's likely. But my point is there are more 08s out there without issues than some recognize. Folks get on here, a lot, for the first time with a major issue. You don't hear from the folks with no issues a lot of the time - face it, its a little weird that we are all into our Es so much...if we had Porsches, yeah. LOL

In the end, it looks like a nice E and good luck with the sale. Most people don't even know about the wave plate issue. i didn't until i joined this site.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

Your asking price appears to be above dealer retail in many areas. If a buyer does any research at all, an offer would likely be at least $3000 below BB private seller value to account for the wave plate failure potential. JMHO

·
Registered
248 Posts

TSS said:
You don't hear from the folks with no issues a lot of the time
I think you are right- it would be nice to know the actual percentage by model year of all Enclave owners who have had the timing chain, wave plate, steering gear issues etc.

·
Registered
432 Posts

silverfox said:
I think you are right- it would be nice to know the actual percentage by model year of all Enclave owners who have had the timing chain, wave plate, steering gear issues etc.
See my profile for our 2008 below. MAYBE the timing chain and wave plate will bite us, but we're not there yet. No issue we have ever had with the 2008 has turned us away from it.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts

silverfox said:
My guess is that the percentage of Enclaves succumbing to these issues is quite low.

·
Registered
592 Posts

GoldEnclave said:
My guess is that the percentage of Enclaves succumbing to these issues is quite low.
That is my thinking exactly. Overall percentage is low. BUT, the percentage on this forum is high due to the reasons stated above.

·
Registered
717 Posts

The design of the wave plate means 'when' not 'if' it will fail. Alot of dealer mechanics have Phd's in this tranny from the '08 Lambdas.

Having said that and trying to sell my loaded '08 with wave plate fix it appears $16,500 is the market rate under 100k. Dealers in the DC area are asking $17,900+ but deals seem to fall in the $16k range.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts

2MuchCoffee said:
See my profile for our 2008 below. MAYBE the timing chain and wave plate will bite us, but we're not there yet. No issue we have ever had with the 2008 has turned us away from it.
:ditto: I have 87+K on mine and have only had a broke rear spring and HVAC evap coil go bad.

·
Registered
717 Posts

cfedor said:
:ditto: I have 87+K on mine and have only had a broke rear spring and HVAC evap coil go bad.
Those are the only 2 common things I didnt run into with my '08 :)

·
Registered
416 Posts

I have to agree with TSS.

I heard of the wave plate issue after I purchased my 08.

Being paranoid and not wanting to get hit with a big bill, I asked the service manager at my local dealership, how many wave plates had he seen go bad with the 08's.

He said, not even one.

Being in Canada, my vehicle has 112,000 kms on it.

Or pre-crappy metric system ... 69,593 miles.

I have an extra 1 year left on my extended warranty on my Enclave and hope it never becomes an issue.

The service manager said if it were going to go bad, it would have by now.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 2008 Enclave AWD CXL Fully Loaded - Pittsburgh, PA

goochman said:
The design of the wave plate means 'when' not 'if' it will fail.
The design is fine. There was a batch of wave plates that was not properly heat treated that caused the failures. The 6 speed transmission is a great design. If memory serves me, it was a joint venture with Ford.

·
Registered
717 Posts

h2oskierc said:
The design is fine. There was a batch of wave plates that was not properly heat treated that caused the failures. The 6 speed transmission is a great design. If memory serves me, it was a joint venture with Ford.
Correct - poor choice of words on my end :) - but still 'when' not 'if'

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

h2oskierc said:
The design is fine. There was a batch of wave plates that was not properly heat treated that caused the failures.
And you know this how? One THEORY I heard is that some were installed improperly :sosad:

·
Registered
5,910 Posts

I'll give ya' a dollar for it. :happy:

·
Registered
484 Posts

Last week, Carmax offered me 19,000 for my '08 on a straight sell to them. When I went to the dealer to pick up my new sparkling terrific '14, the gentleman I deal with asked me what Carmax offered (he recommended Carmax and said I would probably get about 19,000 whereas his dealership would probably offer 17,000 - this was sight unseen, over the telephone while we were dealing) When I told him 19,000, he checked out my '08 and offered 19,000 right away.

Granted, I have 46,000 miles on the vehicle which is a big difference from your 99,000, but all of you who have lower mileage '08's this is what they are offering. Mine was an AWD CXL fully loaded with tow package and drop down DVD screens and in very good condition. It also was Blue Gold Crystal which is hard to find.

By the way, if you are in Southern California, the place to purchase an Enclave is Reynolds Buick in West Covina. They will be in business 100 years next year. The man to deal with who is in charge of internet sales is Rudy Knobloch. This is my second dealing with Reynolds and Rudy. They are straight shooters and really great to deal with. Check them out online. Rudy looked all over for the exact Enclave that I wanted, color, features, etc. He found it for me - it was in Fresno. If you buy another E, and go to Rudy, tell him I sent you. :thumb:

I love my new '14. It is improved from the '08 which I obviously loved or I wouldn't have bought another Enclave.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts