EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 3.8l v6, love this ride with 203k on it. still runs like a top, however, I had new camshaft sensors (4 TOTAL) put in to address the p0014 and a crankshaft sensor to address p0017, a few days later p0366 arrive why?

P0014 CODE-
“B” Camshaft Position – Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance bank 1

P0366 CODE-
Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor B Bank 1 Circuit Range/Performance.

WHATS THE DIFFERENCE? Is the new sensor b on bank one bad?

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Your 2008 has a 3.6, not a 3.8L VVT V6.
I seem to recall having those creep up on mine as well. I don't recall what if anything that I personally did, but I had the timing chain replaced for $1,800.00. It got me by for a year, then I had to throw in the towel and drop a donor engine in mine. I suspect either the sensor is bad or the timing chains(have you had them replaced, ever?)

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
At 203k miles??? They recommend chains be changed at 100k.
Yeh, you should start with timing chains, plugs, coils, and MAF. You'll need a set of intake gaskets as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
These are all camshaft sensor warnings related to bank 1 (right side of engine). These all indicate timing problems. The best-case scenario is probably replacing the sensors and actuators. However, these 3.6L GM engines are famous for stretched timing chains. I'm dealing with this problem myself at the moment with a 2011 with 150k miles and bad timing will results in these codes.

If your timing is off, it's best to stop driving it because there is lots of opportunity to do extensive damage when the timing is off and you're running the risk of doing both that as well as breaking down while driving when things get far enough off where the engine won't run any more.

In my case, my car stopped running completely when pulling into the driveway. If you got lucky, it would restart but it sounded like **** and would shut off after a few seconds. My mechanic refused to replace the timing chain because it was going to be a $2,500 job and he was worried there would have been additional engine damage, making that cost be a waste. However, a new engine was going to cost upwards of $8,000 to put it, so I've turned the repair into a hobby project.

I luckily avoided significant engine damage. My issues were also related to bank 1 and in addition to needing a new timing kit, the rocker arms in the right cylinder head fell off (probably causing the god awful noise when the engine did run). From what I can tell, this most likely happened because the arms are kept on my the cams and as long as the cam is in the right position, they're safe. However, the timing jumped enough to where the valves were off from the cams and they lost enough pressure to fall out. I've now removed the entire head and there is no valve damage so the problem seems isolated to just the rockers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts