EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i checked the switch and i can hear the motor running but will not go up . will not work with key fob or button on dash panel . i have to open manually each time
When i bought this guy at lot said it doesnt work but can open manually he said could be electrical issue but since motor runs might be something else.. i read to check the switch first so now what ?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Does it stay up when opened manually, or fall back down? There was a recall on the 2008 assist "shocks" or whatever they call them. If they got bad, the motor would not be able to lift it. If that's not the case, I'd look for bad part on the motor assembly (gears, clutches, etc).

If you need to buy new parts, RockAuto.Com and Amazon are your friends.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi yes it stays up by itself don’t think shocks are the problem . To me it seems like the main shock from motor that helps push up don’t move when motor is running . Any place where I can go to see diagrams on how to remove panels to get to it ?

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
714 Posts
Be careful under there with all the operating mechanism. Open it, prop it up with a ladder or something secure and remove the fuse before any hands enter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check your VIN to see if you’re covered under the recall for this issue if you are and it hasn’t been performed then call you’re local Buick dealer and get an appointment.

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
714 Posts
The 2008 recall if I remember was an Updated Software Re-Flash. The Gas assist struts could fail and the Motor Wouldn't hold, thus the hatch could close unexpectedly. I believe they also replaced the struts at this time.
June 30, 2015 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 15V415000
Liftgate Struts may Fail and Liftgate may Fall
If the open liftgate unexpectedly falls, it may strike a person, increasing their risk of injury.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 15V415000
Manufacturer General Motors LLC
Components STRUCTURE
Potential Number of Units Affected 691,144
Summary
General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain model year 2008-2012 Buick Enclave vehicles manufactured January 3, 2007, to February 29, 2012, 2009-2012 Chevrolet Traverse vehicles manufactured July 6, 2008, to March 9, 2012, 2007-2012 GMC Acadia vehicles manufactured September 15, 2006, to February 29, 2012, and 2007-2010 Saturn Outlook vehicles manufactured August 17, 2006, to March 18, 2010. The affected vehicles, equipped with the power liftgate option, have gas struts that hold the power liftgate up when open. These struts may prematurely wear and the open liftgate may suddenly fall.
Remedy
GM will notify owners, and dealers will update the software for the power liftgate actuator motor control unit so that the motor will prevent the rapid closing of the lift gate, free of charge. The recall began on November 15, 2016. Owners may contact Buick customer service at 1-800-521-7300, Chevrolet customer service at 1-800-222-1020, GMC customer service at 1-800-462-8782, and Saturn customer service at 1-800-553-6000. GM's number for this recall is 15240.
Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
714 Posts
Justme, Have you owned the vehicle since it was new and do you know if the struts were replaced at some point, either by a previous owner, dealer or yourself? If the struts failed then it would have put stress on the strut arm which connects to the opening motor. That may be the reason that the Motor will not open the hatch, either the strut fell off or the connector ball and socket is broken as in the video. I replaced the struts once on my 2008 and then the dealer did it as part of the recall.
My issue was that the Motor couldn't overcome the weight of the hatch with the weak struts. There have been a few posts where forum members couldn't get new struts delivered due to hazardous material inside or the shipping charges were way too high, it was cheaper to go to a dealer and pay full price. If you ever come back we would like to know how you make out either way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Spot on electbc. Great info for the OP. When I had mine inspected all that was needed was the I believe the constant dropping caused the strut to weaken and that’s why they would replace if it was worn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the recall and there wasn’t any open recalls . I’m third owner of the car .
the lift gate opens fine manually and stays open . I hear the latch release motor working when I push the button . The motor for the automatic opener does nothing . The strut or shock is solid don’t wiggle around like it’s broken I assume it’s still attached to ball joint on the Actuator .

·
Registered
76 Posts
Elec is probably correct. I fixed my 2009 with a similar problem. The lift rod and mounting ball are known points of failure. Not difficult to fix either. There are a couple of fix videos on YouTube. Basically pull up the plastic cover over the hatch threshold to get to the bolts and remove the hidden screws on the left. That will get you access to the motor and rod attachment to fix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts