EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Tuesday I had the wave plate go on my 2008 Enclave with 74k miles (119000 Kilometers). I had the vehicle towed to the dealer and they got back to me today and told me that my wave plate was indeed broken. My issue? They aren't willing to do the repair because my wave plate caused other damage and apparently the only thing covered is the labor and wave plate.

Are they expecting me to believe that a metal object coming apart in another metal object with little to no clearance has the ability to cause no other damage? I ask this question because the dealer wants me to replace the transmission. Either with a reman or new.

This plate will ALWAYS cause collateral damage in a system like this. So if that's the case and a new transmission is always required, why is this not a recall? So we can avoid the "its not covered" speech? What's the point of the special coverage if its never applicable?

Has anyone else had an issue with the dealership not covering the repair because the wave plate caused other damage?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine failed May 2011 at 54,700 miles. Was three miles from dealer so didn't drive it long is this situation. Mechanic was excellent - my invoice says:

"Customer says check engine light on. Failed 3-5-r clutch waved plate and input speed sensor. System diagnostic code P0716 found. Erratic input speed sensor voltages and sometimes bangs when going into 3rd gear. Found transmission fluid level full. Was some metal in it. Removed and disassembled transmission completely to clean metal debris. Replaced broken 3-5-R clutch waved plate. All seals and gaskets and input speed sensor. Flushed cooler flow 1.6gpm at 80. cycle 217, code 1aefdf7. " Picked up the car the next day and to the beach.

Now have 115,000 miles on it and knock wood - no problems. Have not seen on this form where many or anyone having been told to replace the entire transmission. I would ask specifically what damage are they talking about.
Sorry you are going through this. Hope this info helps. Others - comments???????????????

·
Registered
46 Posts
We had our 2008 CXL FWD fail at approx 50k miles. My wife drove it to the dealer and showed them the problem and left the vehicle there. Several days went by and we decided to call to get an update. They said they could not duplicate the problem so nothing could be done. I stopped by to find out why they wouldn't fix it even though they already knew there was a problem. I literally sat in the vehicle with the service manager for an hour discussing the situation.
I finally told them I wasn't giving their free rental back until they fixed it. They even experienced the problem when it was dropped off there. 3 days later it was fixed and everything was good again. We no longer own the 2008 CXL FWD purchased new and now own a 2013 AWD Premium purchased used with 37k miles.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Auntjemima,
Sounds like it is time to tell the dealer you need the Buick customer service phone number.
Rick

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately, Rick, I have contacted GM Customer Care myself and they said they will get back to me tomorrow after they talk with the dealer. I don't expect good things though because she wasn't sympathetic to our cause. She kept saying "well, the wave plate IS the only thing covered.. but I can tall to the dealer and see what they say.

This vehicle has been nothing but a headache and I doubt we would go Buick again. We purchased it used and in the last year we have replaced the muffler, front struts, sway bar links, power steering pump and now the transmission.... all under 120k kilometers. Just crazy.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
what happened to the muffler?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We bought the car certified (safetied) and 3 months later we started hearing an audible noise under deceleration. Check the muffler and it was full of holes. Unfortunately, being military, we moved shortly after buying the vehicle so the previous dealership was out of the area.

In the end I just had it replaced. I don't see how it could have went so soon after an inspection, but I generally don't enjoy taking my vehicles to the dealer as it is so I didn't bother asking. As you can see, the dealer is often hard to deal with.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I bought mine in November 2014 from a used car lot. My wife drove it home and felt a bit of vibration. It seemed to come and go. I took it to my local transmission shop and they felt it was the torque converter, but weren't sure unless they took it apart.
Went back to the used car lot and they would pay the first 2 grand towards repairs as part of their 90 day warranty, so I had the transmission replaced with a low mileage used one.
Since then, no transmission problems but because of the high kms I have replaced the water pump and throttle body myself, along with a few other parts. All part of owning a used car.
All in all because of the high kms I got a good deal on it and am still ahead of buying one with low mileage.
I'm still amazed at the luxury we have with this vehicle.
Some day it will break and not be economical to repair and we'll go back to sometime not as nice.
My grandchildren love the room and DVD player, I bought more headphones online and now my wife and I can talk when we drive and not have to listen to the cartoons.
Rick

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
720 Posts
What good is the special warranty coverage if they do not cover all of the problems caused by the defective part in the first place. If this is the case, then everybody should bring their vehicles back and ask (demand) for the waveplate replacement before they break apart and within the 120,000 mile coverage. Also, it is a lot easier to replace a waveplate before it fails, the transmission does not need to be removed, labor is reduced, everybody is happy.
Mine failed after the 120,000 miles, I paid for an independent shop to rebuild, replace failed parts, flush complete system, it cost me over $3000. I guess it would have been better to get a reman or new one.
GM dealer first reimbursed me for the cost, but then stopped payment on the check since it was out of mileage range of special coverage by a few thousand. :banghead:

·
Registered
128 Posts
electbc said:
What good is the special warranty coverage if they do not cover all of the problems caused by the defective part in the first place. If this is the case, then everybody should bring their vehicles back and ask (demand) for the waveplate replacement before they break apart and within the 120,000 mile coverage. Also, it is a lot easier to replace a waveplate before it fails, the transmission does not need to be removed, labor is reduced, everybody is happy.
Agree! Imho, preventive action is better than corrective action.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
auntjemima, I have noticed that General Motors is quite unreasonable in trying to deal with in regards to this wave plate scenario.

From the very beginning of my initial involvement of this issue they have been nearly unapproachable, and continued to act like a group of consolidated kuntz in an effort to strong arm the general population of unfortunate consumers that purchased this vehicle; whether new or used.

Their messages have been quite clear to many consumers about the Lambda vehicles with this issue, 'tough chit', 'kiss our a$$', and 'we cannot (won't) help you'.

So, when it came down to a decision to finally cover the wave plate for an extended duration, they made sure that the plate was the ONLY thing that was covered.

Since ONLY the plate replacement solution is completely ridiculous in nearly every scenario that comes up in the service shop, the first best destiny for the consumer is to either purchase a remanufactured or new transaxle at a substantial cost.

A brilliant solution offered by the kuntz at General Motors.

Nice guys, huh?

Oh, we've already bought another Toyota, by the way. An Avalon hybrid. Beautiful car.

I still have the Enclave, for now. But, I came to GM from Ford and got burned. Never again. If you don't stand behind your product the first time, I don't support you the next time. Business 101.

. . Falcon

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
As always, Falcon, your logic is irreproachable. :thumb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright guys, sorry for the late update, but I have a bit of an unreal ending to this mess.

After the dealer said they had to replace the transmission, I contacted GM Customer Care. The woman on the phone seemed to agree that the issue required a new transmission and they weren't willing to replace it at cost to them. Either way, she contacted the service manager at the dealer and discussed god knows what and she called me back early Friday morning, telling me that all they would cover is $900 off a new transmission which is the estimated cost of the wave plate repair.

I explained to her that I had done my due diligence with regards to the transmission and I wasn't happy with their offer because the dealer caused the excessive damage. I noticed the issue on a 3km drive to work and immediately had the vehicle towed, not driven, to the dealer. I explained about the wave plate warranty and they agreed it was likely the issue. After I leave they took the vehicle for a drive and by the time they got back the vehicle no longer had 3, 5 and Reverse, at all.

After explaining that to the woman at GM CC, she said that the dealer told her the wave plate didn't break or cause any damage and that the damage present was from "over time". At this point I was mad because the dealer told me it was broken. That afternoon I went down and personally asked to see the damage and they freely showed me the broken wave plate, which I took a picture of, and told me that all the damage in my transmission was wave plate related. This was from the Service Manager and the technician that worked on the transmission. I asked about GM CC saying the wave plate wasn't broken and wasn't the cause and the Service Manager told me they never even discussed the part, just the cost.

So now the GM CC has lied to me. I asked the service manager if we could sit down and call GM CC and sort this out immediately. He called but she was on lunch and he said he would have her call me after they spoke.

This afternoon GM CC called me back and told me they have decided to replace the entire transmission with a NEW, not reman, transmission.. not that I will be able to tell the difference, I'm sure. The ordeal is finally over! It took a week and many calls and a few new gray hairs, but its all done.

Thanks for all the stories about your dealer experiences guys! Its always nice to see the community come together.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Wow! Your effort resulted in GM springing for a new transmission, which is unheard of. :beer:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GoldEnclave said:
Wow! Your effort resulted in GM springing for a new transmission, which is unheard of. :beer:
I don't think I could even explain my excitement when she told me. Ecstatic to say the least.

Had the rebuild been less than a new transmission I am sure they would have gone that route, but apparently the parts alone were more than new.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Good luck with the new transmission. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
:dancing: So excited for you! Great news!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
05/08 build date. Total transmission failure at 80700 miles. Any gear position equals neutral. Buick dealer wants $5201.00 to replace trans with rebuilt unit. I have called the Buick, GM, and Pontiac phone numbers trying to get some assistance. NO LUCK. My previous GM vehicle went 245000 miles. This transmission problem with the wave plate failure is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!! If any one could please advise, it would be greatly appreciated. Being disabled and with no job, we thought this would be our last vehicle. It just might be.
So, Buick just called. They are not going to do anything!! Oh wait a minute they say that the dealership has to tear the transmission down. THEN Buick will decide if they will help pay for it. If they don't, then we have to pay for fixing the transmission. Buick dealership here is the most expensive place. 5,201! If we choose not to use Buick dealership WE have to pay for the tear down for a price of $1500.00! I am so mad. I bought this Buick and really liked it but I will NEVER buy another Buick. They knew this transmission was poorly designed. No recall because it is not a safety issue. Let's see....if I am driving down I-10 and the transmission goes out, I wonder if it is a safety issue then. I am so mad

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
ford77nutt, this is a repost of a story that you posted between 11/30/14-12/09/15. What is your point?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts