EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
ford77nutt said:
05/08 build date. Total transmission failure at 80700 miles. Any gear position equals neutral. Buick dealer wants $5201.00 to replace trans with rebuilt unit. I have called the Buick, GM, and Pontiac phone numbers trying to get some assistance. NO LUCK. My previous GM vehicle went 245000 miles. This transmission problem with the wave plate failure is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!! If any one could please advise, it would be greatly appreciated. Being disabled and with no job, we thought this would be our last vehicle. It just might be.
So, Buick just called. They are not going to do anything!! Oh wait a minute they say that the dealership has to tear the transmission down. THEN Buick will decide if they will help pay for it. If they don't, then we have to pay for fixing the transmission. Buick dealership here is the most expensive place. 5,201! If we choose not to use Buick dealership WE have to pay for the tear down for a price of $1500.00! I am so mad. I bought this Buick and really liked it but I will NEVER buy another Buick. They knew this transmission was poorly designed. No recall because it is not a safety issue. Let's see....if I am driving down I-10 and the transmission goes out, I wonder if it is a safety issue then. I am so mad
I think the issue you are having is a bit different than the single 35R wave plate. In either case my dealer wanted to do the same as yours and tear down the unit before knowing if the repair would be covered. Its a stressful 3 days while they do this, but if the wave plate is the culprit, atleast you have the chance of being covered.

I guess my point is that they cannot honour a warranty without first tearing it down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So the dealer calls today and says that they need money for new brake pads and sway bar links (both have been recently inspected and passed lol)... they knew about it last Tuesday but forgot... insisted I pay the $500 for those and to make the decision right away if I wanted it back today.. I told them I will replace those parts myself when required and to not bother.

3 hours later and they call to say it won't be ready until tomorrow anyways lol..

Anything to get some money out of me I figure. I mean, my vehicle WAS on the hoist all week taking up that shop space haha.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You should record this information, write it down, take pictures.
Have a good look at your brakes or take the E to a garage and have a check of the parts they say are bad so you can call GM customer service to report them, if they are wrong.
Sounds like this dealer may need a talking to from GM.
My opinion,
Rick

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
UPDATE: It is now 3593km (2233mi) since our new transmission was installed. Today as I went to put it in reverse the car jumped twice, like a banging noise. I put the car in Park and then back into Reverse and I had nothing.. the vehicle acted like it was in Neutral. I was quite a ways from home and its Sunday so little is open so I put the vehicle in Drive, which appears to work fine and drove home. In the driveway we tried Reverse again and now its working.

When we turned off the vehicle it kinda sounded like a turbine shutting down.. a long dying whistle for about 10 seconds. Because of this I turned the car back on and tried shifting through the P-R-N-D and listening. The is an audible rattle when in Park and Neutral but not in Drive or Reverse.. the noise seems to go away when in these gears and stationary. When moving, however, I can hear a constant whine, that is affected by RPM's when in Drive (I noticed this when driving home after the Reverse issue).

Sad to say, but after a bit of research when I got home I believe we can rule out the torque convertor, so its likely an issue with the transmission itself.

I'll be taking it in tomorrow morning either way, so I will keep you guys updated as best I can.

Sidenote: The work mentioned before (brakes and sway bar links) definitely needed to be done. They kept the parts and let me take a look and they were definitely past what I would have allowed had I replaced my own tires late last year.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hope they figure it out and get it fixed for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Turns out some bearings inside the transmission were either missing or had been destroyed.. Either way, 8 days later I got the new transmission and only a few hundred kilometers into this one and I am already having rough shifts. I'm hoping its nothing, but this lemon has me worried.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
auntjemima said:
Turns out some bearings inside the transmission were either missing or had been destroyed.. Either way, 8 days later I got the new transmission and only a few hundred kilometers into this one and I am already having rough shifts. I'm hoping its nothing, but this lemon has me worried.
Hopefully, the transmission will smooth out as it breaks in and learns your driving habits.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I would go back and let them know about the rough shifting, even if it turns out to be nothing. Just getting them to have a record of this condition will help down the road if you have more problems.
Rick

·
Registered
28 Posts
Transmission on my 2008 Enclave (110k miles) just went out last night and so here I am on enclaveforums.net. Was able to limp along a short distance and park it in a safe parking garage and took a taxi home. There were no check engine lights on.
What are the chances that this is a broken wave plate?
Was I supposed to get a notification in the mail about this issue?
I never ever go to the dealership because I have a trusted independent mechanic but I guess in this case that is where I should get it towed to? Or should I tow it to my mechanic first for an unbiased opinion??

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
I'm sorry to read about your car troubles. I'm inclined to recommend going directly to the dealership because it is probably a wave plate failure, and going to an independent garage will likely void any extended warranty coverage or good will coverage you might have.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Called the dealer and found out that my car is covered under the extended warranty. Tow truck is on the way, going to take it to the Buick dealer and find out what they say...

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
lkz9988 said:
Called the dealer and found out that my car is covered under the extended warranty. Tow truck is on the way, going to take it to the Buick dealer and find out what they say...
Ok. That's a good first step. Keep us abreast of the situation, and good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Towed the car to the dealer... Within 2 hours they called back and said yes indeed it was the Clutch Wave Plate problem, covered under warranty. All damage will be repaired at no cost to me!!! Getting the car back tomorrow.
I'm very happy.

·
Registered
717 Posts
lkz9988 said:
Towed the car to the dealer... Within 2 hours they called back and said yes indeed it was the Clutch Wave Plate problem, covered under warranty. All damage will be repaired at no cost to me!!! Getting the car back tomorrow.
I'm very happy.
If they havent started I would see what is possible to get a reman transmission vs having them "repair" yours. You may have to pay something out of pocket but I dont think folks have had long lasting luck with the repaired units. The solenoids went out on my '08 15k miles after the rebuild - most likely due to the debris not being fully flushed out and cleaned during the repair.

·
Registered
131 Posts
JUST FYI ----- I had the wave plate failure on my 2008 at around 60 k miles. Repair guy said the wave plate that wasn't heat treated properly get brittle and break. He showed me one that had broken. Parts can then be attracted to some of the magnetic sensors in the transmission causing other problems. He stressed that proper cleaning out all of the debris is critical to avoid other long term problems. I was totally impressed with this mechanic. Got the car back the next day, and presently have 122k miles on the car! So I guess he did a good job. BTY - I have read articles about the design of this transmission - a joint project between GM and Ford I believe. The design end of life for this transmission was stated as 200k miles. So hoping I can get close to that as I intend to keep the 2008 until it dies. I have had of the other 2008 typical problems as stated in this forum over the years, and nothing in the last couple of years. Keeping fingers crossed!!!!!!!! It is such a great road car!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The point for all of these people is that Buick GM knew their waveplates were/are deflective and they are not meeting their responsibility to the customer. My 2015 has the same problem. I will never buy another GM product again. And., if you multiply this forum by all the people that we tell, that's a lot of bad press.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts