EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2009 Buick Enclave, When we click on destination, were getting a Navigation DVD Error It has about 107,000 miles on the car. I hope someone can help.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My 2009 Traverse LTZ had the same problem. Needed to replace the nav unit. Laser reader is going bad.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Yep, to the tune of $1200 "at cost" according to our dealership when ours went out. I told them I would buy a top of the line aftermarket unit if I was inclined to spend that kind of money. Needless to say we lived without the sh!tty OEM nav unit. A cheap Garmin nav or your cell phone work much better anyway.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My Nav stopped working for about 6 months. Kept getting a "map disc error" message, and the NAV button was greyed out and would not allow you to select it. I added to another navigation post about 6 months ago looking for assistance on what might be the problem... and others chimed in along the same lines that the nav unit needed to be replaced.... one of the posts said to try and use compressed air in a can, and blow into the nav slot, which didn't work for me.

Low and behold about a month ago, the nav has started working again?! and its working great again... Has been working for about a month or more now... works every time on the first try... I have NO idea what changed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used high compressed air, not the can stuff. I gave it a good air cleaning as a last ditch effort. and it actually works now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
So my last post was back in April (6 months ago) where I reported that my NAV started working again. Well during those 6 months, the NAV has been completely intermittent. There were times it would work for the whole day, and then not work again for days on end. It would start off working just fine, nav would be displayed with no issues, then mid drive, the map dvd error message would appear. This could randomly happen after a few mins, or sometimes an hour or more later before it decided to stop.

Today, being my wifes birthday was talking about it, so I decided to do some reading on it - again. The first 2-3 posts said that the laser was dirty, and many people have cleaned the laser with success. I decided to pull my head unit out, and give it a go.

Kinda decided to pull it apart of a whim and didn't think to take any pictures - MY APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE!

I tore the unit down and removed the MAP DVD laser from the unit, cleaned it off with some cleaner, and reinstalled. Total time spent was approx 3hrs at my table, which wasn't spent entirely working on the unit.

Anyways, I was able to remove all the screws necessary - which there are 3 groups of different types, and are all easily accessible. My unit comes in 3 stacks, the bottom part is the electrical components which includes the connector section. The middle stack is the NAV drive, the upper part is the DVD drive.

The DVD and MAP drives are tied together, and will come apart from the rest of the unit. This is the HARDEST part - separating these 2 drives from the bottom as the chassis part is quite tight and it fit. Once you remove the screws, it all starts to move, but there are brackets and the MAP drive bracket is below another bracket, and its very tight. There are a few ribbon cables that need to be carefully inspected - some have latches, some just pull out. Once you get the MAP drive separated, you have to remove the circuit board. Then you can carefully remove the laser from the 2 adjustment rails.

I completed most of this on the first try, without pictures, with very minimal instructions from other sites. It was all just by carefully and LOGICALLY looking at what looks like it should be removed, and removing it. Ribbon cables are extremely fragile and need to be carefully worked with.

Put it all back together, and NAV worked the first time, which was nice to see that I didn't fully destroy the whole unit! Only time will tell weather this is a full fledged fix.

·
Registered
140 Posts
So my last post was back in April (6 months ago) where I reported that my NAV started working again. Well during those 6 months, the NAV has been completely intermittent. There were times it would work for the whole day, and then not work again for days on end. It would start off working just fine, nav would be displayed with no issues, then mid drive, the map dvd error message would appear. This could randomly happen after a few mins, or sometimes an hour or more later before it decided to stop.

Today, being my wifes birthday was talking about it, so I decided to do some reading on it - again. The first 2-3 posts said that the laser was dirty, and many people have cleaned the laser with success. I decided to pull my head unit out, and give it a go.

Kinda decided to pull it apart of a whim and didn't think to take any pictures - MY APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE!

I tore the unit down and removed the MAP DVD laser from the unit, cleaned it off with some cleaner, and reinstalled. Total time spent was approx 3hrs at my table, which wasn't spent entirely working on the unit.

Anyways, I was able to remove all the screws necessary - which there are 3 groups of different types, and are all easily accessible. My unit comes in 3 stacks, the bottom part is the electrical components which includes the connector section. The middle stack is the NAV drive, the upper part is the DVD drive.

The DVD and MAP drives are tied together, and will come apart from the rest of the unit. This is the HARDEST part - separating these 2 drives from the bottom as the chassis part is quite tight and it fit. Once you remove the screws, it all starts to move, but there are brackets and the MAP drive bracket is below another bracket, and its very tight. There are a few ribbon cables that need to be carefully inspected - some have latches, some just pull out. Once you get the MAP drive separated, you have to remove the circuit board. Then you can carefully remove the laser from the 2 adjustment rails.

I completed most of this on the first try, without pictures, with very minimal instructions from other sites. It was all just by carefully and LOGICALLY looking at what looks like it should be removed, and removing it. Ribbon cables are extremely fragile and need to be carefully worked with.

Put it all back together, and NAV worked the first time, which was nice to see that I didn't fully destroy the whole unit! Only time will tell weather this is a full fledged fix.
Was the Laser reader dirty? I hope you found the problem. But like i stated before i was told that the laser goes bad and it will likely fail all together. Mine was replaced under warranty like i stated above.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The laser is VERY small, and in one thread I was reading the guy said he saw a white rag pick up some dirt after wiping the laser. I could see no such thing... its so small, and looked fine, but I tore it down for a reason, and wiped it using a Q-Tip doused with some special cleaner (I didn't have any rubbing alcohol or polish remover, so I used Monster Clean - stuff used to clean flat panel tv's). The laser is connected to some very small wires causing it to "float around" so you cannot apply a lot of pressure either, or you'll likely throw the eye out of positioning.

Gave the "eye" a good couple of swipes, and verified there were no fibers left on the eye and reassembled. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Another thing I wanted to mention was that there is a Heat Sink Plate attached to the side of the unit. When you remove this plate, it comes away from 2 IC chips that has heat sink paste. Whenever working with chips that have paste, its advisable to remove all the old paste and replace with new - which is what I did. Luckily I had some Arctic Silver paste leftover from my computer build.

I think this may be an option for those who's NAV is intermittent as mine was. If you are constantly getting the Map Error message, then your laser may be dead. My unit was working 10% of the time - but it was working which gave me hope that it was just a mis-aligned or dirty laser. Hopefully one may be able to find a new laser VS. having to replace the whole unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
Uncle Buick
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing