EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined the forum just to share this:

I have a 2009 Enclave, without a moonroof, with tremendous water leak/intrusion issues. I bought the car new from Carmax, it is now out of their warranty. The car had so much condensation inside the car that a towel was needed to clear the inside of the windows in the morning. Carmax cleaned out the HVAC evaporator drain tube, and the condensation is no longer the primary symptom - the issue now is that the battery compartment collects and holds water.

The water seems to enter the passenger compartment under the dash - it is visible in both foot wells. It eventually migrates to the lowest point - the battery compartment. Once the battery was completely under water. There are two washout plugs in the bottom of the battery compartment. They were sealed with some sort of polyurethane glue. I removed one, let the compartment drain, then placed it back, but didn't fully seat it so it can drain.

I still have water intrusion issues, but with the HVAC line cleared, and the washout plug loosened, it shouldn't short out my battery. I still have the risk of mold, because the carpet is always wet. I continue to investigate.

Really this post is just a warning - if you have leakage issues, examine the battery compartment and remove the plugs so you don't cause damage.

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
702 Posts
Thank you for the info. If you want to, try some food coloring and water up near the windshield to see if it is infiltrating from there. Try different areas, high, low, side by A pillar.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
maybe windshield was replaced and a poor sealing job was done?

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
702 Posts
That's what I was thinking as well. They bought the truck from Carmax, as new. I thought Carmax only sold used vehicles.
I had a 2008 with the sunroof leak due to clogged tubes from time to time. I would pull the carpet up and run a fan directed at the floor pan to dissipate the moisture and also run a de-humidifier to collect the water, I never had a mold issue. The foam underlayment doesn't seem to have mold issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys - I hadn't thought about using food coloring. Hopefully it won't stain the light colored carpet (a chance I am willing to take, worst case I use my carpet steamer.)
Yes, I bought it used - I won't blame Carmax too much, we had a significant dry spell, followed by near all-time record rain.
No moonroof, thankfully, that seems to guarantee leaks.
I'll try the windshield when I get some time off (it'll be a while) and report back. I wonder how the cowl area under the back of the hood drains - the black plastic - that would explain a lot. Also, seems to leak worse when parked downhill, which would direct more water to this area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glass company's have equipment to check for leaks. I don't remember how it works but it was faster and cleaner than looking for dye.

With modern 2 part adhesives silicone is the last thing windshield installers want to see. The force of the airbags in a crash will blow the windshield out if the surface is not perfectly clean.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SOLVED

Sorry for the delay, guys - many things came up over the past few months, and I just got around to fixing this. (To be honest, a bird-strike forced my hand about a month after I found the leak, so the glass was getting replaced anyway. Good timing.)

It was, in fact, the seal around the windshield. The windshield had been replaced before, but the sealant they applied had a gap. (And, once I pulled the windshield, it was obvious that the previous replacement job was horribly performed - they gashed the **** out of the steel and didn't bother to put any paint over it, so I spend a lot of time with a wire brush.) If I had applied sealant between the steel and the glass, as recommended above, it would have almost certainly stopped the leak. I found the leak by spraying shaving cream in that gap outside the car, then blowing high pressure air from the inside of the car - which then blew the shaving cream out like confetti.

So, the water was collecting under the dash, which explains why I thought I heard sloshing up there during turns.

Also, as recommended above, re: cleaning out the drain hose - that was the first thing that Carmax did, but they had no desire to try to fix the problem any farther than that.

Giving credit where credit is due:

Thank you for the info. If you want to, try some food coloring and water up near the windshield to see if it is infiltrating from there. Try different areas, high, low, side by A pillar.
Yep, that would have worked. That said, I'd advise the shaving cream method - all the mess does out of the car, and there wouldn't have been and staining if it had gotten inside.

maybe windshield was replaced and a poor sealing job was done?
That's exactly what happened.

If you do find a leak in the Windshield area and want to try sealing it yourself, Permatex, and a few others, make a Flowable Silicone sealer specifically for this.
Yep, that would have worked.

·
Registered
26 Posts
...run a de-humidifier to collect the water, I never had a mold issue. The foam underlayment doesn't seem to have mold issues.
This is the absolute best way to get rid of excess moisture. Instead of pulling up the carpet I put both a quality home dehumidifier and a small space heater in the vehicle. I recently bought a truck that had issues with clogged hoses for the sunroof and used that method to eliminate all moisture. It’s now super hot summer here and my truck doesn’t smell like a foot when the windows are up. Thankful for that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts